Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato developers disappointment!

RodrigoVolta 1:37 AM - 3 December, 2011
I've been through this post to report my disappointment with Serato and its developers.
This is another of the disappointments I have had with Serato ITCH and its tiny!

I always wanted to have the DDJ-S1 and its Serato ITCH in which I had always admired and always heard very well. I've used VirtualDJ and Traktor for years and always loved the two sofwares. I know that each one has its peculiarity and its bugs, but I could live peacefully. Behold, I run with Serato Itch in which I had never worked before, because it only works with a compatible connected device, so could not test its functionality!

With little time to use with my DDJ-S1, I get the Itch has several serious problems already reported here on this forum! I say serious, because they really are very serious! In the DJ MIDI controllers era, hardware and software with amazing, how can a software that says "perfect for DJs" can not detect a single BPM properly, being the simple MixMeister BPM Analyzer makes perfect efficiency (and it's free!)? Cause distortions in the audio when using MasterTempo, one tool that has existed since the CDJ-100S? Leave behind some features of the equipment and LEDs do not light up, functions that do not work, etc? Lock or simply stop working and this is software for professional and not amateur?

Where are the developers? Why not solve this once and for all instead of being useless threading functions or "beautifying" the skin? Be holy patience! I'm not a sucker! Sorry to those who faithfully support Serato, but I think it's time to "roll up their sleeves" and work hard to sort it all out once and for all, after all, not just me, but like many others, want their equipment will operate perfectly well without bugs or inconveniences! I've paied dearly for my equipment and I want a solution to the software bugs, after all, my DDJ-S1 depends 100% at software: If it does not work properly, my equipment will not work too!

Again, I apologize, but as this is a democratic space, have the right to express my outrage at the Serato!

I've posted many, many suggestions and bugs and I was told that some of them would be implemented in this new version, but so far no sign! Were simply ignored and placed in the drawer, as if they were not important! Serato had solved a bug that only one user posted the problem with your equipment, that is DDJ-S1 in many people complained that the damn LED Pitch not light and the shit CRATE LED BUTTON does not work properly! That sucks! I swear to God if I knew that I had all these problems, I would have bought one Kontrol S4 instead DDJ-S1! I'm sure he had no disappointment with Traktor as I am having with the ITCH! I'm sorry, but I'm very disappointed! I do not fully conform to the era of controllers, a software like this can have stupid bugs that have already been overtaken by competitors for a long time! See the complaints of users!

There can not get a simple LED to work? Who shall say then to resolve the serious problems that have ITCH! Honestly, I do not have or desire to post anything here!
I always dreamed of getting this controller thinking it would be the best investment I made today ... Tsk, tsk ... my beautiful mistake! Do not speak for the hardware, which is excellent, but the software that I'm sorry, it's too rough! Is not worthy of a Pioneer equipment! It is the same as installing Windows 2000 on a PC with Core i7!

I no longer have any desire to express myself on this subject! Maybe I'll dispose of the DDJ-S1 and purchase a Kontrol S4 or a Denon MC-6000, at least, work with Traktor and VirtualDJ, software that they never had serious problems and are light years ahead of ITCH!

:-(
phatbob 2:17 AM - 3 December, 2011
That's fine, you can go and use Traktor which we all know is magically bug-free.

Bye!
djcerla 12:07 PM - 3 December, 2011
Unbelievable.

This guy had many, lenghty discussions in many areas of the forum with Serato developers about his views on ITCH (I say "views" because many are not problems at all, like the LEDs one).

Serato developers patiently addressed every one of these "views", and the guy even thanked them for their attitude several times.

Now, this post. "Where are the developers?" he asks... well, they're losing time replying to his countless, iterative posts, probably.

Quote:
Traktor and VirtualDJ, software that they never had serious problems

at least he leaves us with a good laugh!
Papa Midnight 2:52 PM - 3 December, 2011
Quote:
Traktor and VirtualDJ, software that [...] never had serious problems

Bwahhahahahahahaha!

I only have one question... why did you not test it out PRIOR to your purchase?
Dj Delta-Vita 3:10 PM - 3 December, 2011
A question @RodrigoVolta, are you a professional Dj or a bedroom DJ ?
irieproductions 3:33 PM - 3 December, 2011
i'd say its pretty obvious
Dj Delta-Vita 3:48 PM - 3 December, 2011
Im playing at clubs since 1989 and i thing all products of Serato are great !!!
I suggest to do a favour to yourself :> you "get a life" !!!
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:06 PM - 3 December, 2011
Pop corn in hand "traking" lol
RodrigoVolta 8:11 PM - 3 December, 2011
Da pra ver que aqui o espaço é muuuuuito democratico!!! A gente não pode reclamar, não pode contestar e tem que "abraçar" tudo CALADO!!! Se resolvermos "botar a boca no trombone", é completamente sensurado!!

Por isso, meus caros, que aqui é meu ultimo post! Não conheço vcs, não pretendo conhece-los e ninguém aqui paga minhas contas, portanto, pouco me importa o que vcs dizem ou pensem, não estou nem aí!!

Tip: use GOOGLE TRANSLATE!!!
djcerla 8:27 PM - 3 December, 2011
Yes, this space is very democratic, and that's exactly why you are free to trash the same Serato developers that listened and tried to help you in every possible way.

And that's exactly why others are free to disagree.
RodrigoVolta 8:28 PM - 3 December, 2011
Se voces aceitam usar um software com poucos recursos e limitado, problema é de vocês. Façam como SEMPRE fizeram: ACEITEM o pouco que a SERATO oferece a vocês e CALEM A BOCA!!! Não coloquem mais posts nenhum reclamando sobre bugs, problemas, travamentos, etc, pois isto seria HIPOCRISIA da parte de vocês!
Pra vocês o ITCH é perfeito? Ótimo!!! BEEE HAPPY!!!
Pra mim, não esta bom e ainda acho que muita coisa tem que melhorar e ainda vai demorar muuuuuito pro ITCH chegar "aos pés" do TRAKTOR!!! Eu NUNCA, MAS NUNCA MESMO tive problemas com o Traktor assim como tenho com o ITCH. Funcionava PERFEITO e olha que eu usava a BCD3000, um equipamento TOSCO perto da DDJ-S1!
Para os que acham que sou amador: eu comecei tocando com pickups SEM PITCH, fazendo as mixagens "no dedo"!! Passei pelas MKII, depois CDJ-100S, 200, 400, 1000MKIII e agora estou na era das controladoras há 5 anos. Comecei com a BCD2000, passando pela BCD3000, MixTrack Pro, VMS4 e agora a DDJ-S1! Já toquei em diversos clubes, fiz festas RAVE, eventos importantissimos aqui no Brasil!!! Trabalho como DJ há pelo menos 20 anos!
Se quiserem entender, usem o google! Já estou cheio de escrever em ingles!
blackavenger 12:32 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
It is the same as installing Windows 2000 on a PC with Core i7!

ooooooh! that's a low blow!
kraal 2:00 PM - 4 December, 2011
go to traktors forum and you will see some people are have more problems with the s4 than the ddj. i use the ddj-s1 alot and have not run into one show stopping 'bug' ... i am going to jump on a limb and say your ddj-s1 may be broken. I don't experience any button 'stop working'
RodrigoVolta 4:21 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Não, não é um golpe baixo! Windows 2000 funciona sim em um computador com Core i7, entretanto, não terá o mesmo desempenho do que com o Windows 7 e também terá os recursos limitados (é o mesmo que estou tendo com o ITCH). Entendeu a comparação?
Vamos dizer que o ITCH está caminhando, digamos assim, para o Windows 2003! :-)
djcerla 4:23 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
I no longer have any desire to express myself on this subject!

That's probably why he changed language.
RodrigoVolta 4:28 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
go to traktors forum and you will see some people are have more problems with the s4 than the ddj. i use the ddj-s1 alot and have not run into one show stopping 'bug' ... i am going to jump on a limb and say your ddj-s1 may be broken. I don't experience any button 'stop working'

My dear kraal,
My DDJ-S1 has no physical problem (hardware). This I could check with details! In fact, I myself have made ​​the calibration of jogs leaving them more "smoothing" that the factory adjusts, avoiding interference with "low-vibrations" in the clubs.
What happens is that whoever controls the LEDs, buttons, etc. is the ITCH and developers wiggled structure of the software, something will stop working. I always worked with Pioneer equipment and know they are very well built, but of course, can come with one problem or another, but it is quite difficult.
kraal 4:33 PM - 4 December, 2011
well i am saying i have used many ddj-s1's ( i also adjusted thejogs myself) so maybe i am just not understanding the issue but i have never come across leds or buttons just stopping working
RodrigoVolta 4:43 PM - 4 December, 2011
I fully agree that there are several problems with Traktor and his Kontrol S4, Numark NS7, VirtualDJ, etc. as well as ITCH, but serious problems and irritants such as miscalculation of BPM / Grid and algorithm MasterTemp that distorts the sound, I've never seen in any other software. In fact, I've seen yes: In older versions of VirtualDJ, for example! :-)
But anyway ... I think this whole discussion will not lead anywhere and will only generate more and more discord among colleagues. Each one has their opinion and I respect. Here is a democratic space and each one must express itself as it sees fit and should not be stifled or slaughtered for it. If you are very satisfied with Serato Itch, very good, I'm happy for you. For me is not legal. Maybe because I originated of Traktor and VirtualDJ that are softwares structurally different I sense blows from ITCH and his bugs.
What I posted was more a relief that was stuck in my throat! I did not want to offend anyone or judge anyone. I'm not here for that. I hope to be respected as well and also have my opinion respected. This is how we live together in peace.
Thank you.
kraal 4:49 PM - 4 December, 2011
RodrigoVolta -- i also use traktor and own vdj... i understand the 'differences' and expectations. I was not trying to devalue your frustrations. only trying to help ease them. Even if serato is working on implementations it will be a matter of time before we see them.
one thing i will suggest about bpm calculations is well actually 2 things . when calculating make sure you set a range value. second is try downloading scratch live some have reported that you get better analyzing from that than itch
RodrigoVolta 4:58 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
well i am saying i have used many ddj-s1's ( i also adjusted thejogs myself) so maybe i am just not understanding the issue but i have never come across leds or buttons just stopping working

Which ITCH version you use? 1.8 or 2.0.1?
Do a test: Sync both decks and see if your Pitch Leds will go light up.
Before, do it in 1.8 version. See that Pitch leds light up!
RodrigoVolta 5:11 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
RodrigoVolta -- i also use traktor and own vdj... i understand the 'differences' and expectations. I was not trying to devalue your frustrations. only trying to help ease them. Even if serato is working on implementations it will be a matter of time before we see them.
one thing i will suggest about bpm calculations is well actually 2 things . when calculating make sure you set a range value. second is try downloading scratch live some have reported that you get better analyzing from that than itch

I appreciate your help. :-)

I've done several tests, including Scratch Live thinking it would solve, but not solved. The problem is that all of the Serato software use the same kernel and algorithms so it does not much difference. I've tried using all possible scales and nothing resolved. I even thought it could be a problem in my music, but other software in the BPM is calculated perfectly!

I've sent several songs to the staff and they found that there is a problem in calculating the BPM ITCH. However, other songs are perfectly calculated. What I see often is that the BPM of the music is right, but the grid is out of "beats", making it impossible to use the SYNC!

In my view point, this needs to be corrected as soon as possible as it directly affects the performance of the DJ (not that everyone cared about that), in general.
kraal 5:14 PM - 4 December, 2011
ahh i see what you are saying about beatgrids. I do have to nudge them but once nugded everything is fine. I have the same issue with trator
RodrigoVolta 5:19 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
ahh i see what you are saying about beatgrids. I do have to nudge them but once nugded everything is fine. I have the same issue with trator

Yes, Traktor miscalculate BPM wrong in particular cases like a acoustics, percursion or classics musics. But ITCH miscalculate BPM several and several musics, even in today's electronic music where the beats are quite different.
djcerla 5:20 PM - 4 December, 2011
BPM calculation in ITCH is very precise. In the rare event of no result igiven, though, (blank BPM) just fire up Mixmeister BPM. It's a matter of 3 seconds. What's the big problem?
kraal 5:22 PM - 4 December, 2011
i think it is beatgrid not bpm... not detecting beging down beat ect
djcerla 5:26 PM - 4 December, 2011
He said also BPM.

BTW I use Mixmeister Studio for mixes and, granted, beatgrids are off 59% of the times. Traktor is far from perfect either..

So stop insulting ITCH developers, beatgrid calculation is no simple affair.
djcerla 5:27 PM - 4 December, 2011
*50%
kraal 5:36 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:

he already addressed that this was just venting ... no need to turn another post into bickering between two people about wording
RodrigoVolta 5:43 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
So stop insulting ITCH developers

Insulting the developers? Where did you get this? Or you express yourself is not knowing here or your English is very bad! Sorry, but no one here insulted anyone. At most, it was just a "get attention"! I think this is not to offend anyone!

Indeed, djcerla, answer me one thing: Why do you always "taking pains" of others? Do you have any problem with self-esteem? You think you're the owner of the word? If so, I'm sorry but I do not care to talk more with you! If you think your opinion is the "best of the universe", then stay with them and leave me alone, okay! I've had enough of his pettiness and snobbery!
RodrigoVolta 5:45 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

he already addressed that this was just venting ... no need to turn another post into bickering between two people about wording

Thanks, kraal!
:-)
djcerla 5:46 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

"Wording" doesn't change the fact that beatgrids in ITCH are not worse than other DJ software. They're better actually. And BPM is very accurate IMBO.
RodrigoVolta 5:52 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Wording" doesn't change the fact that beatgrids in ITCH are not worse than other DJ software. They're better actually. And BPM is very accurate IMBO.

If you find it, okay. I will not waste my time discussing it. Keep your opinion and I with mine!
kraal 5:53 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ha so now you just arguee with me about my wording... the fact is beatgrids are not working for him. if you have help or a fix then please state it so this conversation can move on. just stating that beat gridding it is better than traktor( which i don't completly agree) doesn't help and is just pointless when it is not working for the person that posted.
djcerla 6:01 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
Yes, Traktor miscalculate BPM wrong in particular cases like a acoustics, percursion or classics musics. But ITCH miscalculate BPM several and several musics, even in today's electronic music where the beats are quite different.

ITCH "miscalculates" very few times; it's almost always precise up to second decimal digit. You should set the correct BPM range for analysis.

Quote:
Do you have any problem with self-esteem? You think you're the owner of the word? If so, I'm sorry but I do not care to talk more with you! If you think your opinion is the "best of the universe", then stay with them and leave me alone, okay! I've had enough of his pettiness and snobbery!

This is a "democratic space", as you like to call it, so I have the right to express my point of view, exactly like everyone else. Nobody is insulting you, while you are surely insulting other users (and you have been reported for this).
kraal 6:07 PM - 4 December, 2011
wow really.....
Big Pops 6:12 PM - 4 December, 2011
Lets face it Serato needs to step up their game, and listen to the problems that users are having and address them once and for all.
I quite agree also that TRAKTOR and VITUAL DJ has their problems also, but ITCH seems to take the cake.Dont get me wrong,I been using ITCH with my NS7FX about 2 years now and before i was using TRAKTOR and SCRATCH LIVE. I havent had any major issues to date,so thank GOD.
It seems that some people take things on the FORUM to another level,GUYS this is a place to channel our ideas and software problems and hope SERATO look at them.
djcerla 6:24 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
just stating that beat gridding it is better than traktor( which i don't completly agree) doesn't help and is just pointless when it is not working for the person that posted.

It's not pointless as I was addressing this sentence:

Quote:
how can a software that says "perfect for DJs" can not detect a single BPM properly,

which, of course, is a false statement; to beef things up, he then writes:

Quote:
What I see often is that the BPM of the music is right, but the grid is out of "beats", making it impossible to use the SYNC!

so, how can BPM be "often right" if "not a single BPM" is properly calculated?
kraal 6:30 PM - 4 December, 2011
again all you are doing is picking apart what he said offering no help... if you have nothing to say then do exactly that say nothing
djcerla 6:35 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
again all you are doing is picking apart what he said offering no help... if you have nothing to say then do exactly that say nothing

Help? This guys has been offered help in 3 areas of the forum by Serato developers and forum users: dozens of posts.

Also, being a public forum, everyone has the right to join the conversation, like it or not kraal, especially when false statements are put on the table.
Papa Midnight 6:47 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Not as much as you may think. :P Windows 2000 was actually good.
Now if he had said "It is the same as installing Windows ME on a PC with Core i7!" (sic), that would be a different story.

Thread Original Direction --->
Current Thread Direction ----^
Service in two miles (3.2 Kilometers).
blackavenger 7:22 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
Not as much as you may think. :P Windows 2000 was actually good.
Now if he had said "It is the same as installing Windows ME on a PC with Core i7!" (sic), that would be a different story.

I preferred XP, but the two were essentially the same thing under the hood. Except, Win2000 ran slower whilst using the same hardware. So, in a sense it remains a low blow!

But you would have to be a real fuckin' nerd (of which I am) to have had done benchmarking between the two OS'. XP had always performed better in my machine when comparing between the two.

But you are correct.......WinME was atrocious, and if he really wanted to make the point STAND OUT, that would have been a much better example!

Quote:
Thread Original Direction --->
Current Thread Direction ----^
Service in two miles (3.2 Kilometers).

::return thread course correction::
lol
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:01 PM - 4 December, 2011
RodrigoVolta,

Sorry you aren't happy with ITCH. If you want to let me know what some of these issues are (apart from the LEDs, BPM and Master Tempo) then I will be happy to help you out or explain what the situation is.

Quote:
but serious problems and irritants such as miscalculation of BPM / Grid and algorithm MasterTemp that distorts the sound, I've never seen in any other software.

Our BPM detection is pretty good. The Beatgrids and BPM are synonymous - if the BPM is off the Beatgrid will be too. Roughly what percent of your library can ITCH not calculate a BPM for? Have you used the range function? A song has to have quite a fluctuating BPM for ITCH to not be able to calculate it so I'm pretty sure we can sort any 'electronic' files you have out :)

With your Master Tempo issue, the only times I have seen this really distort the audio is when the quality of the track (kbps) was low. Are the files that this occurs with quite low quality? What percentage are you pitching them up or down?

With the LEDs, I'll need to double check but I'm quite sure these will be fixed in a future build.

I would encourage you to use any software you feel works best for you, but I'm also quite confident any problems you have can be resolved.

Quote:
Lets face it Serato needs to step up their game, and listen to the problems that users are having and address them once and for all.

We do listen. In fact I'm employed to listen ;)
RodrigoVolta 1:14 AM - 5 December, 2011
Hello Logan.
My topic this polemic, no? :-)

Well, here we go:
- All my songs are in MP3 format, 192kbps, 44kHz, Stereo. I always convert my songs using the PLATINUM NOTES is a software to improve the quality of the songs, get distortion, get the key, etc.. If any music you have any structural defect in the file, it does not begin to convert. Then I have two options: download a good file or fix this. I am always the first option.

- Let the tests performed:

..: BPM ANALYSIS:
1) - I have analyzed almost all of my music (over 30,000) with the Itch. I've noticed that some (not all) were calculated with BPM wrong (which was supposed to be 130, the software showed 98 BPM for example). The great majority, the BPM / Beatgrid were calculated correctly and accurately (two decimals). So far, nothing new, as other software are also the same.
2) - I have changed the scales of the rage for all possible, until I left at zero, but had no effect. In fact, leaving the last option, it leaves the music with high BPM, out of all rage.
3) - I took these songs and converted to WAV and MP3 320kpbs but still, nothing has changed. For each test I erased the value of BPM and also the GRID, and also delete the database.
4) - I took these songs and put in MixMeister BPM Analyzer and all, but all had the same values ​​of the BPM calculated correctly and accurately. I did the same test with the MIK, VirtualDJ and Traktor. All gave the correct value, without exception. I sent some songs recently, remember? You even told me that you also gave problems. Therefore, we conclude that the algorithm for calculating BPM ITCH is problematic, is not it?

..: MASTERTEMPO:
1) - I got a song anyone who was at 192kbps and I carried on deck. I put the scale of TEMPORAGE in 10%, which is what I use. As the music is playing I was gradually reducing the pitch until you reach -10%. I noticed that when the control is almost completely in 10%, especially the voice of the singer's music is "robotic", with some gagging (not sure how you explain here).
2) - I've converted this same song to 320kbps format using Platinum Notes: Nothing has changed.
3) - I've converted to WAVE format: There was no improvement.
4) - I've noticed that the problem occurs more when it is actuated in the negative scale of the pitch (reducing the pitch music). By increasing the positive side (increasing the pitch music), the problem is imperceptible. Obviously none of this happens when deactivated MasterTempo!

I can get all this because I use a Shure headphone when I'm in my studio. It have a excellnet sound quality!

Well, I think it is. I think it is well explained. If you need more details, please let me know.

Thank you!
phatbob 1:29 AM - 5 December, 2011
192kps MP3s are NOT good quality, especially if they've been further processed and re-encoded at 192k by Platinum Notes. PN improves pitch and harmonics, NOT quality.

If you are running lossless files through and then exporting lossless or 320kps, you might get away with it. If you are starting lossy and re-encoding lossy, your files will sound bad. That's a fact I'm afraid.

I purged my library of 192k files a couple of years ago. Would not allow one in my crates now.

I'm a big fan of Mixed In Key as a company but if your files are coming out with incorrect bpms and you are using Platinum Notes... Well, I don't use PN and my bpms are correct.

Fairly simple test for you to do there, as long as you've kept the original files. (Hope you did!)

And if you are judging keylock at +/- 10% then I challenge anyone to find me DJ software that sounds good at such wide range. Even hardware: a Pioneer CDJ with master tempo sounds BAD at +10%. Especially with 192kps mp3s!

Think we might be getting to the root cause of some of your problems, finally...
RodrigoVolta 2:11 AM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
192kps MP3s are NOT good quality, especially if they've been further processed and re-encoded at 192k by Platinum Notes. PN improves pitch and harmonics, NOT quality.

If you are running lossless files through and then exporting lossless or 320kps, you might get away with it. If you are starting lossy and re-encoding lossy, your files will sound bad. That's a fact I'm afraid.

I purged my library of 192k files a couple of years ago. Would not allow one in my crates now.

I'm a big fan of Mixed In Key as a company but if your files are coming out with incorrect bpms and you are using Platinum Notes... Well, I don't use PN and my bpms are correct.

Fairly simple test for you to do there, as long as you've kept the original files. (Hope you did!)

And if you are judging keylock at +/- 10% then I challenge anyone to find me DJ software that sounds good at such wide range. Even hardware: a Pioneer CDJ with master tempo sounds BAD at +10%. Especially with 192kps mp3s!

Think we might be getting to the root cause of some of your problems, finally...

Well I wish it were so, it is not.

The sound quality of my songs are great, I assure to you. I'm pretty picky when it, believe me.

Many of my songs came from others peoples in various encoding like 128kbps, 225, 192, 320, etc., such as those downloaded from the internet. I've converted them all to the PN, because beyond set key, but it improves the quality of the songs, giving a kind of "expansion" and increasing the volume of them as much as possible without distorting.

Unfortunately I have no backup of the songs before being converted to PN therefore collect these songs for over 10 years!

The encoding of 192kbps is very good yes! It is considered "like Audio CD"! 320kbps is fine, but in some cases, only takes up hard drive space, as if the original music is in 128kbps and then is converted to 320kbps, nothing changes!

All other programs correctly calculate the BPM of all my songs. Only ITCH is not! You agree that if problems with the music the other programs do not calculate correctly? I never had a problem with this and looks that I've used Traktor, VirtualDJ, Deckadance and Torq from the beginning!

The vast majority of my songs are calculated correctly, but some do not!

I even like it to be a problem with my music, but I'm absolutely sure it is not! In fact, not just me who is complaining about it here on the forum. Look what you will find others talking about!
phatbob 2:20 AM - 5 December, 2011
Sorry, but you simply do not understand the nature of lossy encoding.
djcerla 2:23 AM - 5 December, 2011
128kbps MP3s re-compressed into 192kbps... that's the future.
RodrigoVolta 2:24 AM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
Sorry, but you simply do not understand the nature of lossy encoding.

I understand perfectly and I know what it means. But this has no influence on the detection of BPM. If it had, probably other software did not calculate correctly.
phatbob 2:24 AM - 5 December, 2011
Word.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 2:25 AM - 5 December, 2011
Roughly what percent of your library has ITCH miscalculated the BPM for? It sounds like there aren't too many which are good. Would you be able to upload one of these files to this thread for me to take a look at? Don't worry - no one else will be able to see it but me :)

With regards to the Master Tempo issue, simply re-converting a 192 file to 320 won't increase the quality. My guess is that some of the files you are pitching are of a low quality and hence you are getting sound degradation when pitching significantly with Master Tempo. That would be my guess.
phatbob 2:27 AM - 5 December, 2011
RodrigoVolta 2:28 AM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:

UAAAU! Master Of The Universe is comming!!
Guys, extend the red carpet for him to pass! :-P
The guy did not know what we're already talking about and give advice without foundation!
phatbob 2:32 AM - 5 December, 2011
No need to get personal, just because people are trying to explain why your music files are all bad.
djcerla 2:32 AM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
With regards to the Master Tempo issue (...) my guess is that some of the files you are pitching are of a low quality and hence you are getting sound degradation when pitching significantly with Master Tempo. That would be my guess.

hi Logan, what about the improved Master Tempo algo that you guys promised in 2009? ;)

Quote:
Quote:

The guy did not know what we're already talking about and give advice without foundation!

One thing I know for sure: that re-encoding a 128 kbps MP3 into a 192kbps MP3 is nowhere near "great quality".
RodrigoVolta 2:39 AM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
Roughly what percent of your library has ITCH miscalculated the BPM for? It sounds like there isn't too many which is good. Would you be able to upload one of these files to this thread for me to take a look at? Don't worry - no one else will be able to see it but me :)

With regards to the Master Tempo issue, simply re-converting a 192 file to 320 won't increase the quality. My guess is that some of the files you are pitching are of a low quality and hence you are getting sound degradation when pitching significantly with Master Tempo. That would be my guess.

So Logan.
I've tested with direct CD-Audio too.
See attached file coded in 320kbps direct to CD!
Thanks.
RodrigoVolta 2:42 AM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
Roughly what percent of your library has ITCH miscalculated the BPM for? It sounds like there isn't too many which is good. Would you be able to upload one of these files to this thread for me to take a look at? Don't worry - no one else will be able to see it but me :)

Logan, How I can send to u my file?
I've input in other help request serato.com.
Do you get the file link?
RodrigoVolta 2:44 AM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
With regards to the Master Tempo issue (...) my guess is that some of the files you are pitching are of a low quality and hence you are getting sound degradation when pitching significantly with Master Tempo. That would be my guess.

hi Logan, what about the improved Master Tempo algo that you guys promised in 2009? ;)

Quote:
Quote:

One thing I know for sure: that re-encoding a 128 kbps MP3 into a 192kbps MP3 is nowhere near "great quality".

No comments to u!
You really think "the guy", is not it? A pit of arrogance that yes!
djcerla 2:51 AM - 5 December, 2011
And BTW, here's what Serato had to say on Nov 9th about the Master Tempo issue

Quote:
Quote:
Hey RodrigoVolta,

The issue you are referring to is because of our keylock/master tempo algorithm which isn't able to handle this amount of pitch shift without introducing artifacts. Unfortunately until we can develop this further and make improvements to it there isn't much else we can do. We are aware of the deficiencies in our keylock and are looking to make this much better. There isn't any kind of timeline I could give you though for when this could be available.

No problem, Samuel. I understand!

I hope in future releases (and soon to be) you can fix this problem, as well as the analysis of BPM which is also very critical and Pitch LEDs of DDJ-S1 that are not lighting up!
Fixing this problem, I think everything would be perfect! I think the Itch good software (if not the best), but unfortunately still has a lot to improve to really become the best! In many questions, VirtualDJ and Traktor do much better, even the M-Audio Torq wins in some questions.

But I know that his team is working to attain perfection and know you have much ability for it! We consumers are disappointed with these problems because pay high prices for equipment and software!

Thank you!

The mystery is: if he "understood" and thanked Serato, why after 1 month he's back with the same exact question?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 2:51 AM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:

Is that a serious question cerla? ;)

RodrigoVolta,

I see Sam has already answered the exact same question you have been asking in this thread. Forgive me for not going down this road again. However let me quickly repeat..

We would love to work on a new key-lock algorithm and I don't doubt it will happen in the future. I don't know when this will happen as everything needs to be prioritized accordingly. The key-lock isn't terrible now, however we realize there is room for improvement so we'll be looking to improve it. That's the answer my friend :)
djcerla 2:54 AM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Is that a serious question cerla? ;)

definitely ;)

as odd as it may sound I completely agree with RodrigoVolta on this ;)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 2:55 AM - 5 December, 2011
You agree with him that we should improve the key-lock? So do I, and we will.
I'm not sure what you're after here.
djcerla 2:57 AM - 5 December, 2011
BTW... BPM detection works great here, even on difficult material, apart some 150ish BPM hard dance songs (rawstyle stuff, etc) that fails detection completely (blank)
djcerla 3:03 AM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
You agree with him that we should improve the key-lock?

yup, that was the message.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're after here.

"I'm after" a great keylock algo... which is a foundation for a great DJ software IMHO.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:25 AM - 5 December, 2011
We're all on the same page then! :)
Ragman 6:34 AM - 5 December, 2011
Whew!!! Glad that's over. Or is it???
Papa Midnight 6:38 AM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

FML... I remember one record pool I used to use which I would get constant 320KBPS MP3's from. I swear to this day that many of them were re-encoded from 128KBPS MP3s. I wouldn't be surprised, even, if plenty of them were re-encoded from youtube videos. Not sarcasm.
Ragman 6:44 AM - 5 December, 2011
^That's scary...
Tomy Veritgo 8:10 AM - 5 December, 2011
+1 on BPM detection.
It is worser as on other DJ software. I worked with Traktor, Virtual DJ and Torq.
The biggest problem is that Beat markers aren't accurate enough it needs constant fixing...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 8:00 PM - 5 December, 2011
Hey guys...

Just to clarify something here:
If your files are a very low quality then your tracks may occasionally not get a good keylock or BPM detection. ie. re-encoded files that have gone through 2 lossy stages of conversion such as RodrigoVolta's tracks have (even if they sound ok, they have from a technical point of view, lost a large amount of data), will be very very data deficient.

The real culprit here is just quality of data. The best thing to do is use the highest fidelity audio you can. You shouldn't ever re-encode an MP3 again, and these days you should be striving for a minimum quality of 320kbps MP3 audio if possible.

Remember you can never get back the original quality of audio once you've compressed the audio to MP3, and especially if you've gone through an additional stage of compression! Even the best mastering engineers will take time to do this and it won't sound as good as the original uncompressed audio (you may feel you are doing something better, but chances are you are just adding more fuel on the fire).

As for Cerla - yep, we're all on the same page :-D
Tomy Veritgo 8:06 PM - 5 December, 2011
Totally understand encoding files may cause problem when analyzing, but I am coming from Traktor and Virtual DJ with SAME music database and Itch have problems where other software work flawless (speaking of BFM (beat markers) detection) .
Also I have less then 10% of music that isn't ripped from CD at 320kbps...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 8:14 PM - 5 December, 2011
Cool. The best thing anyone here can do is start a help thread, and attach a selection of audio tracks that you are having problems with. This will help us with analyzing the way we we detect and manipulate audio! Cheers :D
Tomy Veritgo 8:18 PM - 5 December, 2011
OK, thank you Matt :D
And don't get me wrong, I bought Serato because I think IT IS the best software for DJs available! ;)
It just has some room for improvements :D
Cheers! :D
RodrigoVolta 9:03 PM - 5 December, 2011
Well, well....

Sorry, but I disagree that the quality of MasterTempo and bpm calculation has anything to do with the encoding quality of the files! Nothing to do! And I can prove I am as perfectly correct about that! For a simple and perfect reason: All the software I've been using so far made ​​the calculation of BPM all my music with extreme precision. Whether they were in 128kbps or 320kbps, the result was always the same! I can name a few?

- Traktor Pro - 99% accuracy.
- Virtual DJ - 100% accuracy.
- Deckadance - 98% accuracy.
- Torq - 100% accuracy.
- MixMeister BPM Analyzer - 100% accuracy.
- MixMeister Fusion - 100% accuracy.
- Ableton Live - 100% accuracy.
- Future Decks - 95% accuracy.
- B-DJ (this was pretty lame) - 90% accuracy.
- Mixed In Key - 100% accuracy.

This good for you? :-)

Is that really the problem is in our music? Why is it that only the ITCH can not give the correct value of BPM and almost 100% of software in the world can? Does this really is a decoding issue, as you are saying? I think not!

I'm not a fool to re-encode a file that is in 128kbps to 320kps. Before you judge, read the post from beginning to end, okay! The maximum I've ever done with the songs that were at 128kbps and that mostly came from other people, was re-encodes them using Platinum Notes which greatly improves the quality of the songs and so re-encoding at 320kbps! But this does not imply anything to improve the detection of BPMs or MasterTempo.

For all information:
I did a test directly from a CD loading the music on the deck: the result was exactly the same: the singer's voice is "robotized". I already attached a piece of music here.

I'm not stupid to make comments without foundation. Unlike some here who are "the last wafer of the package," I'm not like that!

Cheers!
phatbob 9:19 PM - 5 December, 2011
I'd be grateful if you could let me know which versions of Ableton Live and Mixmeister you're using please. Because my versions are both well below 100% accurate in their bpm detection. I think Ableton detects the first downbeat correctly about 40% of the time...Mixmeister was forever detecting 98bpm hip-hop tracks as 128bpm...
RodrigoVolta 9:29 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
OK, thank you Matt :D
And don't get me wrong, I bought Serato because I think IT IS the best software for DJs available! ;)
It just has some room for improvements :D
Cheers! :D

I agree with you. Itch has an excellent chance of becoming the best software for DJs in the world. Just want to! Just fix the problems and accept the opinion of other users!

I notice here in this forum great pride and arrogance on the part of people who think the best, most "badboy" because they have only four or five controller in home and put various videos on Youtube doing "Skratch" and smiling at camera as if anyone cares it!

Anyway... Here's some positives points for ITCH:

- A skin clean and organized;
- Color waveform;
- Smart Playlists and library organized;
- Functions as: Eq. Gain, headroom (now I understand how it works ...) and stereo/mono mode;
- Phones Overdrive;
- Adjustment range of volume faders;
- High quality sound;
- Quality and range are great equalizers;
- Perfect integration with the hardware;
- Crates;
- Multiple modes of skin;
- Clock and CPU level on the screen;
- Level of notebook battery (when using no charger);
- Library help very explanatory and easy to understand;
- History intelligent;
- Calculation of BPM/GRID is so much accurate - needs improvement;
- MasterTempo acceptable quality - needs improvement;
- Headers playlists "#" and "color" to help in the grouping of songs;
- Browser interactive and easy to use;
- Prepare List;
- When editing a song, the change is made directly to TAG!
- Adjustments in the court of the crossfader curve;
- Warn and updates the firmware of the equipment keeping it updated;
- Built especially for notebooks;
- Samples (I've not used it yet);
- And some other stuffs...

;-)
phatbob 9:36 PM - 5 December, 2011
We can all tell you're having a pop at Cerla again in that post again. We're not stupid.

Why do you act like a 12-year old?
phatbob 9:36 PM - 5 December, 2011
Perhaps people would take your opinions more seriously if you were able to conduct yourself in an adult manner.
RodrigoVolta 9:41 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
I'd be grateful if you could let me know which versions of Ableton Live and Mixmeister you're using please. Because my versions are both well below 100% accurate in their bpm detection. I think Ableton detects the first downbeat correctly about 40% of the time...Mixmeister was forever detecting 98bpm hip-hop tracks as 128bpm...

Strange...
MixMeister Fusion 7.4.4
Ableton Live - I've used four or five years ago. At the time, Ableton accurately calculated the songs that I used with it. Not were many. Most were House-Music. I don't remember that version... :-(

Currently I prefer to use MixMeister BPM Analyzer or Mixed In Key that are much more accurate. Detect with great perfection the BPM of the music, including classical music. MIK The only problem is that it does not analyze songs over 15 minutes (like megamix) and you need to have an active Internet comexão (to validate the serial).

MixMeister is free and is very accurate, but is somewhat time consuming to do the analysis.

One of the things I was surprised with the ITCH is the speed with which it analyze the files. I found it amazing! In addition to analyzing four files at a time (because my processor is 4 cores).

Would if I install it on a server with 16 cores it would analyze 16 songs at once? This would be really cool! :-P
DJ EZSMOOTH 9:44 PM - 5 December, 2011
I want to see a video of this 'badboy' doing... well.. something. Rather than taking stupid childish shots on Cerla, let's see what kind of skills you've got Rodrigo...
DJ EZSMOOTH 9:48 PM - 5 December, 2011
100% accuracy on Ableton is probably one of the biggest jokes i've ever heard..

And also, i'd like to know what scientific method you employed that returned these 'accurate' results. How many tracks did you test on each platform and which ones did you use for your control group?. Since you've measured down to the 99th percentile I would assume that you tested no less than 100 different tracks on each and every platform and then contrasted and compared your results.?

Quote:

- Torq - 100% accuracy.
RodrigoVolta 9:50 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
We can all tell you're having a pop at Cerla again in that post again. We're not stupid.

Why do you act like a 12-year old?

I'm sorry, but who started the hostilities here was not me, ok!
Since I started to post suggestions, I've been "gunned" with hostility and misunderstanding. I do not think any forum should be so. I think people here are the same "boat" and should share ideas and help each other. You might have received me with more understanding and comfort! I'm not a fool to write things without foundation! If I became upset about something, have the right to post it here, just like any other, nor why I should be harassed or have neglected my opinions!
I have passed 12 years over 20 years ago ... ahaha ... :-P
RodrigoVolta 9:58 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
100% accuracy on Ableton is probably one of the biggest jokes i've ever heard..

And also, i'd like to know what scientific method you employed that returned these 'accurate' results. How many tracks did you test on each platform and which ones did you use for your control group?. Since you've measured down to the 99th percentile I would assume that you tested no less than 100 different tracks on each and every platform and then contrasted and compared your results.?

Quote:
- Torq - 100% accuracy.

Well, I'm going to explain again..... afff... It's a very hard!
I've tested with these softwares THE SAME SONGS THAT ITCH could not analyze! The accurace is ONLY ON THESE SONGS, not all! My musics are same!!
Do you understand me now?
RodrigoVolta 10:08 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
I want to see a video of this 'badboy' doing... well.. something. Rather than taking stupid childish shots on Cerla, let's see what kind of skills you've got Rodrigo...

Sorry, but I dont need to show my skills to anyone.
Those who know me and have seen my presentations could speak for me.
In no way I am disparaging Cerla and think he should be an excellent DJ, but lacks a little humility in his words ...
Anyway ... This subject has given what he had to give. I will not talk about it.
I'm stopping now!
blackavenger 10:09 PM - 5 December, 2011
::STOPS TRACKING THREAD::

over & over again, the same bullshit!

Itch needs work, we all know that....it will be updated when they decide to do it. If that doesn't satisfy you, get TraktorPro2. Since owning Itch, I have become a whiny little bitch, and even I'm sick of reading my own posts! I wasn't like this, to this degree, when exclusively using ScratchLIVE. This ends today.

I'll still make suggestions, but I'm taking emotion out of my critique...it doesn't solve anything!
RodrigoVolta 10:29 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
::STOPS TRACKING THREAD::

over & over again, the same bullshit!

Itch needs work, we all know that....it will be updated when they decide to do it. If that doesn't satisfy you, get TraktorPro2. Since owning Itch, I have become a whiny little bitch, and even I'm sick of reading my own posts! I wasn't like this, to this degree, when exclusively using ScratchLIVE. This ends today.

I'll still make suggestions, but I'm taking emotion out of my critique...it doesn't solve anything!

I totally agree with you!
That's why I stopped by here! If I could I would close this topic!
Serato
Zeb 11:10 PM - 5 December, 2011
Hi RodgrigoVolta,

could you please let me know where someone told you this

Quote:
I've posted many, many suggestions and bugs and I was told that some of them would be implemented in this new version, but so far no sign!

Quote:
many people complained that the damn LED Pitch not light

I don't think this is true, I think some users agreed that your second view of how the S1 pitch led's could be used was a good idea. I also think this makes sense but it is not a current priority, it is a feature request.

I'm sorry that you feel that we are inefficient in developing ITCH but I did explain to you why the pitch led behavior was not the same as 1.8 & that we would review your feedback on this topic. We didn't break the pitch led's, we improved sync & as a side effect, the initial purpose of those led's became redundant.
RodrigoVolta 11:58 PM - 5 December, 2011
Hello, Zeb.
Please, see the link serato.com
I've attached a ZIP file with 2 songs: a original and converted with Platinum Notes (all my songs was converted with PN).
You can compare both files to check because ITCH do not analyze the correct BPM of song converted with PN and the original file is detected fine! There must be some detail that we are not seeing, something special in each song that causes this "bug" on Itch!
Note: The original file is in 225kbps and the converted w PN is in 320kbps!
Please, let me to know your feedback.
Thanks.
djcerla 12:34 AM - 6 December, 2011
Hi Zeb, don't expect any coherency.

to give you an idea of the kind of guy,just compare these two quotes:

Quote:
I'm sure he had no disappointment with Traktor as I am having with the ITCH! I'm sorry, but I'm very disappointed!(...)

Do not speak for the hardware, which is excellent, but the software that I'm sorry, it's too rough! Is not worthy of a Pioneer equipment!

(...)Traktor and VirtualDJ, software that they never had serious problems and are light years ahead of ITCH!

But, speaking to a Serato staffer:

Quote:
I'm happy to contribute to improving the Itch that in my view, is the best mixing software available today!

Another example:

Quote:
how can a software that says "perfect for DJs" can not detect a single BPM properly?

but...

Quote:
The vast majority of my songs are calculated correctly

And is was my very last post about these unfortunate facts and arguments.
RodrigoVolta 1:36 AM - 6 December, 2011
Quote:
Hi Zeb, don't expect any coherency.

to give you an idea of the kind of guy,just compare these two quotes:

Quote:
I'm sure he had no disappointment with Traktor as I am having with the ITCH! I'm sorry, but I'm very disappointed!(...)

Do not speak for the hardware, which is excellent, but the software that I'm sorry, it's too rough! Is not worthy of a Pioneer equipment!

(...)Traktor and VirtualDJ, software that they never had serious problems and are light years ahead of ITCH!

But, speaking to a Serato staffer:

Quote:
I'm happy to contribute to improving the Itch that in my view, is the best mixing software available today!

Another example:

Quote:
how can a software that says "perfect for DJs" can not detect a single BPM properly?

but...

Quote:
The vast majority of my songs are calculated correctly

And is was my very last post about these unfortunate facts and arguments.

Me desculpe por não chegar ao seu "nivel". Realmente você é muito bom! Congratulations!

Com a sua vasta influência, acredito que a Serato deverá desenvolver uma versão exclusiva, digamos assim, "ITCH Cerla Edition" ou algo do tipo...

Você poderia trabalhar na NASA fazendo pesquisas espaciais... O mundo precisa de gente assim como você! Não perca seu tempo como DJ não! Aplique sua vasta inteligência e sofisticação em algo melhor! Seu "ego" agradecerá!

Depois dessa eu vou dormir........
kraal 2:44 AM - 6 December, 2011
Quote:

exactly where i stand
Papa Midnight 4:14 AM - 6 December, 2011
100% Accuracy in Ableton? Not in my personal experience, but perhaps believable in your library (everyone's is different). As for 100% in Virtual DJ, I have a very high amount of difficulty in finding that plausible from my experience.

Quote:
The real culprit here is just quality of data. The best thing to do is use the highest fidelity audio you can. You shouldn't ever re-encode an MP3 again, and these days you should be striving for a minimum quality of 320kbps MP3 audio if possible.

So, Zeb, allow me to err... prod the flames a bit with the iron poke: Are there plans for FLAC support in the future? :P
Serato
Zeb 4:22 AM - 6 December, 2011
Hi RodrigoVolta,

the Serato staff involved with support & the current ITCH beta have done their best to help provide information about bugs & our plans to address them. I reviewed the thread you linked in here but found no example of a Serato staff member telling you something would be fixed in this release. I'm sorry you feel we have not delivered on what we claim we will but I cannot see any evidence of this. Here are some quotes from the thread you linked.

RodrigoVolta
Quote:
I've posted many, many suggestions and bugs and I was told that some of them would be implemented in this new version, but so far no sign!

Serato Support
Quote:
Unfortunately for now you will have to rely on MixMeister if you have a lot of files being incorrect.

Serato Support
Quote:
Im sorry I couldn't tell you with any certainty as to when this problem will be solved, but I am very appreciative of you bringing it to our attention

Serato Support
Quote:

I can not tell you with any certainty exactly when, but I can tell you we do intend on fixing it :D

RodrigoVolta
Quote:
OK.
Very thanks to attention.
I'll be waiting for a new version of Itch for my equipment to run very well!
:-)

Serato Support
Quote:
No problem, make sure you are following our newsletter to receive information about when new versions of our software is released

RodrigoVolta
Quote:

OK.
I'll close this request!
It's solved with a new Serato Itch version. :-)

RodrigoVolta
Quote:
I'm using 'Mixed In Key' program to calculate the BPMs and Key before load in Itch. Is a one solution for me at the moment!