DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What Is Better as a professional DJ? RATE 1 is bad 10 is best.

Dharak 5:32 PM - 1 August, 2011
Product: itch
Version: 1.8.0
Hardware: no-controller||no-fx-controller
Computer: pc
OS Version: win764
---

Hey Guys I am beginner at DJing.And would like to know what is better from all your exprience. Rate All options out of 1-10. Thank you.

Software: Virtual DJ-vs-Serato-vs-Tractor
(I don't care about looks and video mixing,I wanna know about Sound quality, Beatgrid,sync and stuff)

Gear: Turntabels-vs-Controllers

Headphones: Pioneer-vs-Numark-Beats(by dr dre)-vs-other cheap one's

Mixers: Pioneer-vs-Numark-vs-Other9like denon and behringer and more)

And finally.
LAPTOP: PC-vs-MAC(advantages or ur choise (pros) by ur exprinces)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:49 PM - 1 August, 2011
Hey Dharak,

I am going to move this thread to the general DJing discussion area, as you will get a lot more feedback there than in the help area.

Cheers :)
10:49 PM, 1 Aug 2011
Discussion moved to DJing Discussion
Logisticalstyles 2:42 AM - 2 August, 2011
What Logan really meant was...

Quote:
Hey Dharak,

I am going to move this thread to the general DJing discussion area, as you will stir up a lot more shit there than in the help area.

Cheers :)
Logisticalstyles 2:46 AM - 2 August, 2011
And to answer your question, I would choose Serato ,Turntables,Pioneer Headphones, Pioneer mixer and a Mac.
RAYSH 3:04 AM - 2 August, 2011
Virtual DJ: No, just no.

Traktor: If you're only mixing dance music then this is ok

Serato: Better for multi genre mixing, more intuitive, my choice

Turntables: Technics 1200's if you're in the US and want to go play at clubs

Controller: If you're like in europe and want to save I suppose it would be ok

Best headphones are Sennheisser HD25's hands down. If you want to look cool get beats by dre

Mixer: Rane or Pioneer 800 / 900

Don't even THINK about getting a PC. Mac all the way.
RAYSH 3:06 AM - 2 August, 2011
Too many of the new breed of DJ's are buying serato from the get-go. I would reccomend using your ears to mix for the first year before purchasing Serato
ninos 3:47 AM - 2 August, 2011
oh my, at this thread.
Dharak 12:57 AM - 3 August, 2011
Alrite IF Money and skills was not a problem, But I WILL BE ONLY USING MUSIC FROM MY LAPTOP. NO CD'S are going to be used. What you preefer Numark Ns6-vs-Pioneer-DDj-T1-vs-Pioneer cdj-2000-Vs-Other controllers or turntables.

What im basically looking for is sound quality scarthing effects softwars and main, very importannt of all Syncing it make the work a lot easier instead of adjusting the pitch yourself and stuff with sync i can just look at the bratgrid and beatmatch perfectly.

I Know cdj's can be used with tractor but not sure if sync works, its ok if i have to use my laptop to click sync as far as it works.
Dharak 12:58 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
oh my, at this thread.

Why oh my Ninos?
I'm just a begainner and asking for suggestions!!!
DJ.Tyme 1:08 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
Too many of the new breed of DJ's are buying serato from the get-go. I would reccomend using your ears to mix for the first year before purchasing Serato

+1
DJ.Tyme 1:09 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
Alrite IF Money and skills was not a problem, But I WILL BE ONLY USING MUSIC FROM MY LAPTOP. NO CD'S are going to be used. What you preefer Numark Ns6-vs-Pioneer-DDj-T1-vs-Pioneer cdj-2000-Vs-Other controllers or turntables.

What im basically looking for is sound quality scarthing effects softwars and main, very importannt of all Syncing it make the work a lot easier instead of adjusting the pitch yourself and stuff with sync i can just look at the bratgrid and beatmatch perfectly.

I Know cdj's can be used with tractor but not sure if sync works, its ok if i have to use my laptop to click sync as far as it works.

Buy The Numark NS7 (Now With Itch 2.0) its all you need bro. its just what i use
DJ_Phenom 1:35 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:

What im basically looking for is "the easiest way out", very importannt of all Syncing it make the work a lot easier instead of adjusting the pitch yourself and stuff with sync i can just look at the bratgrid and beatmatch perfectly.

p.s. I want the bitches...
DJ_Phenom 1:36 AM - 3 August, 2011
fixed it for ya...
Dharak 3:06 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
fixed it for ya...

Dj_Phenom I Understand that its the time of the month again for you.
So ill let it go.
Laz219 8:53 AM - 3 August, 2011
Winner of this round is Phenom.

You're not going to do well on these forums with statements like "very importannt of all Syncing it make the work a lot easier instead of adjusting the pitch yourself and stuff with sync i can just look at the bratgrid and beatmatch perfectly."

Serato,
Sennheiser or pio 2000s
Pioneer, Rane or Ecler

Depends how you use it, PC is fine if you can tune it. Mac is easiest for plug & play.
Dharak 3:18 PM - 3 August, 2011
Alrite man im 15 with no gear or experince so i was just asking but thanks anyway.

EVERY 1 JUST IGNORE this POST
Quote:

DJ Nightmare Productions 3:35 PM - 3 August, 2011
LOL.....

Get Serato Scratch Live box SL1,SL2,SL3,SL4

Get a Legit Mixer Rane TTM56, Pioneer, Vestax

Get Vniyl Turntables, Fuck that controller shit..

Learn how to mix.... with it.. No Sync Button..

This way you dont have to upgrade later.. you will learn with a great setup that will allow you to adapt to different situations you may encounter in a club or mobile gig..

Some clubs have resident equipment. usually CDJS or Turntables

Thank You.. and Goodbye
Dharak 3:43 PM - 3 August, 2011
Thanks DJ NIGHTMARE PRODUCTIONS. That is a great idea. Get that setup and keep practicing . thanks bro.
DJ_Phenom 4:20 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
fixed it for ya...

Dj_Phenom I Understand that its the time of the month again for you.
So ill let it go.

understand that with statements like you were making, its not that time of the month for me, its that time of the year on this forum: christmas in july! people on here are always lookin for someone with a shitty mentality on djing to rip a new one so you will find much worse than me... If you're serious about djing rethink your strategy, or find a more "controller, sync, microwave" friendly dj forum, cuz this is prob the worst to come in talking about anything less than 1200s and vinyl lol. Hope you take the right route and it works out for you.

but im not gonna hold my breath, sorry...

ps - dont be this person Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:46 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
Alrite man im 15 with no gear or experince so i was just asking but thanks anyway.

Quote:

LMFAO at this

EVERYONE IGNORE THIS

Quote:

seriously ignore this

Quote:

in case you missed it its this i want you to ignore

Quote:

DO NOT READ THIS

Quote:

NOBODY PAY ATTN TO THIS

Quote:

I hope noones seen this yet

Quote:

WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE READING THIS I SAID IGNORE IT

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

stop trying to find the easiest way you get w
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:47 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:

stop trying to find the easiest way out, your gonna get out of this what you put into it so if you want to have any success your gonna have to acutually TRY to learn
Dharak 5:58 PM - 3 August, 2011
endings this for good, sorry and my bad to any that i might have insulted(dj Phenom), And thanks to every1 who gave me sujestions and all the great advice, ( Dj, Tyme, DJ NIghtmare productions,
Laz219 , and raysh.) Thanks guys
dj_soo 6:19 PM - 3 August, 2011
beatmatching manually is fun. You should try it.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:31 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
acutually knowing what your doing is fun. You should try it.

fixed!
RAYSH 9:18 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
very importannt of all Syncing it make the work a lot easier instead of adjusting the pitch yourself and stuff with sync i can just look at the bratgrid and beatmatch perfectly.

with that attitude you should just give up
Thundercat 9:38 PM - 3 August, 2011
I don't know what's more troubling: the original post or that a forum mod just basically threw him to the wolves...
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:40 PM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
I don't know what's more troubling: the original post or that a forum mod just basically threw him to the wolves...

LMFAO!!! thats why i love this forum
Serato
adrian w 3:01 AM - 4 August, 2011
Dj-M.Bezzle - keep it on topic, quit with the pointless quoting and don't waste everyone's time.

Thundercat - the discussion was moved as it had been filed as a bug report which it obviously isn't.

Not everyone is a heavy user of this or other forums so beginners should be treated as such. They deserve the same respect everyone should get on the forum.
DJ.Tyme 3:16 AM - 4 August, 2011
Quote:
LOL.....

Get Serato Scratch Live box SL1,SL2,SL3,SL4

Get a Legit Mixer Rane TTM56, Pioneer, Vestax

Get Vniyl Turntables, Fuck that controller shit..

Learn how to mix.... with it.. No Sync Button..

This way you dont have to upgrade later.. you will learn with a great setup that will allow you to adapt to different situations you may encounter in a club or mobile gig..

Some clubs have resident equipment. usually CDJS or Turntables

Thank You.. and Goodbye

yeah but if he's just starting out maybe he don't wanna keep carrying around bulky/TT and you say (Fuck that controller shit.) ???? Dharak dont listen to the JERK youtube numark Ns7 smaller package to move from gig 2 gig and your not having to go out and buy a $1,500 mixer & sum TT's
DJ.Tyme 3:19 AM - 4 August, 2011
Quote:

poor kyd :-(
DJ.Tyme 3:21 AM - 4 August, 2011
Quote:
Dj-M.Bezzle - keep it on topic, quit with the pointless quoting and don't waste everyone's time.

Thundercat - the discussion was moved as it had been filed as a bug report which it obviously isn't.

Not everyone is a heavy user of this or other forums so beginners should be treated as such. They deserve the same respect everyone should get on the forum.

Nice i've been trying to give the youngster info so im not bashing im always here 2 help thats what a user forum is for ?? get info & give info
DJ Tecniq 3:25 AM - 4 August, 2011
Don't feel bad Dharak. Just don't battle someone who juggles Good Times on vinyl he's automatically going to win cause every dj has done that routine and it's praised throughout the dj community. :P
Dharak 4:03 AM - 4 August, 2011
Thanks guys (DJ Tecniq, TJ Tyme, adian w) And Dj Tyme i have been looking into numark ns7, also the ns6 its the same just more decks. Thanks for the advise guys i'll keep doing my best into this. Thanks again.
DJ.Tyme 4:50 AM - 4 August, 2011
main difference = ns6 vs ns7 = serato.com / foot note: ns6 non moving platters & 4 decks / ns7 spinning platters and you get 4 decks with VDJ & soon to be traktor
Papa Midnight 5:11 AM - 4 August, 2011
Quote:
oh my, at this thread.

Indeed... Sorry, and not to bash you Dharak, but this thread is just baiting for trolling.

I'll do my best to answer your queries neutrally: None of those is any better than the other as a "professional DJ", with the exception of the Headphones of course. I'll go to bat any day for a pair of Sony Studio Monitor Headphones, but what you'll come to realize real fast is that they are both inferior in build quality (Durability) and sound quality (specifically range and maximum output) when compared with greater costing headphones. You'll also find that just because a headphone has a brand name on it and is $200, doesn't mean it's actually good. I presently use Numark RedWave headphones myself.

With regards to software, I say it comes down to practicality and what you need. Virtual DJ Pro and Traktor are more for controllerist while Traktor Scratch and Scratch Live are more for turntablist. Virtual DJ has application as a decent Vinyl-Emulation system but is more rooted in controllerism. Serato ITCH with the Numark NS7 is more of a hybrid system providing a vinyl experience with a controller system. Other ITCH hardwares are more of the traditional controller-based solutions. Each software has their advantages just as each has their disadvantages. Some more than others. VDJ is a pretty solid program though it has something of a learning and setup curve to it - but it's pretty barebones on the Mac with regards to plugins. Neither is going to make you any more or less of a "Professional DJ".

Hardware: Like your software, it's all dependent on you and what you're planning to do. The hardware will also determine your limitations. In example, don't be expecting to perform like DJ Kentaro or Jazzy Jeff on a typical controller, but do understand that some controllers do offer more avenues than a traditional vinyl setup - minus a few abilities to perform some tricks due to hardware limitations. However, I will say this, what you put into your setup is what you get back. Although the hardware doesn't make the DJ, the old saying of "you get what you pay for" applies. If you buy a cheap $200 mixing pad, expect a cheap $200 mixing pad worth of performance. You start putting down $800 for a VCI-300, $600 for just one Numark V7, $1200 for a Numark NS7, etc., though and you start seeing the difference in build and performance quality. What you'll also notice is that many of these controllers also integrate significantly higher quality audio cards than their cheaper counter-parts - many of which do not even come with audio-cards built in.

Mixer: Dependent on the hardware you get, you may or may not even need a separate mixer. Many controllers rely on internal mixing with the notable exception of controllers like the Numark V7 which require a separate mixer for outboard mixing. Just understand that if you get a cheap mixer, like a cheap controller, expect cheap performance and cheap sound. You also can't look at a company by name only to decide if it's worth it or not. In example, the Numark X5 (Damn decent mixer) is NOT the Numark M2 or M3 (shoddy piece of equipment - every single one of them I've seen). Pioneer DJM's seem to be the standard bearer for what many DJ's get. Rane's own mixers are damn decent as well.

Windows or Mac (They're both PC's despite whatever Apple says), now this is the fun part: Use whatever makes you happy. You can just as easily perform on a PC running Windows OS as you can on a PC (yeah I said it) running Mac OS X with the same solid experience. I'll say this, though. Don't buy some $400 Laptop from Wal-Mart or Best Buy and think you're going to get good performance out of it. You get what you pay for (funny how we keep coming back to cost). Equipment is an investment and that means every part of it. You buy a cheap laptop, expect it to perform like one. I'll even go so far as to say this: I'm willing to bet that if people in general who DJ here put as much into buying a PC with Windows on it with decent hardware as they did buying one with Mac OS on it, the divide of users with errors would be MUCH smaller. Windows greatest asset also happens to be it's greatest downfall: especially in the DJ community: Hardware fragmentation and "good" hardware (on paper) at a low cost. What this leads to (and I see this all the time on the ITCH forums) is persons buying machines which - on the surface - purport to support Serato ITCH based on their system requirements, and when persons try to use it (especially NS7 and V7 users) they get terrible results. Apple builds their Macs with top-notch hardware from screen to silicon. While a typical hardware manufacturer may throw in a decent CPU, and HDD, some decent RAM, and a powerful-enough-to-get-the-job-done onboard GPU, everything else has been skipped around on to cut manufacturing and end-user cost. You end up with a poorly performing south-bridge, a horrendous USB bus, a terrible audio-card which likely leeches bandwidth off the USB bus, and a power/battery input that's not grounded properly and ends up causing noise and interference (I'm looking at you HP/Compaq). Then the person wonders why they experience noise and/or usb dropouts. It's simple as this: the newest Macbook Air (capable of running ITCH, SSL, Traktor, and VDJ like a champ) starts at $999. The newest Macbook Pro series of notebooks start at $1199. You look for a new Laptop running Windows starting at $999 and I guarantee a winner.
Dharak 5:26 AM - 4 August, 2011
Papa Midnight Thanks a lot. You answered a lot. Numark v7 is on my mind right now.... and ye pirce does matter ur absolutely right on than what you pay is what u get back...
DJ.Tyme 5:43 AM - 4 August, 2011
wow papa midnight well said, super well said its alot of typing :-) and i really like this part = Windows or Mac (They're both PC's despite whatever Apple says) i like that especially since im a pc tech/DJ :-0
dj_soo 7:44 AM - 4 August, 2011
Quote:
Don't feel bad Dharak. Just don't battle someone who juggles Good Times on vinyl he's automatically going to win cause every dj has done that routine and it's praised throughout the dj community. :P

lol - you so mad. you should just channel that energy to up your own skills.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:46 PM - 4 August, 2011
Quote:

so telling a new user they should acutually learn instead of looking for the easiest way to get to the top is pointlessm, not on topic, and a watse of time??

Quote:
Quote:

LMFAO!!! thats why i love this forum

i retract this statment then
Dharak 3:30 PM - 4 August, 2011
Dj-M-BEzzelE Your advise was totally helpful and i'm working on it!!!!
But the other statement waz bothering me!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:47 PM - 4 August, 2011
Quote:
But the other statement waz bothering me!!!

It should, thats why i posted it, not to be an ass but to illistrate that the manner of thinking behind it was wrong. You shouldnt be bothered by my post as much as by what you said to cause it. To use an analagy basically what you said was "Hey can I see your keys im going to steal your car" and when people looked at you like wait what did you say you basically said "No no no just give me yuor keys and ignore the stealing the car part, its not important that im going to steal your car i just need to see your keys for a second". Which isnt the right logic to use. All i did was point out the 1st thing that needed to be fixed ie: ,ade sure everyone knew there grand theft auto was occuring so that that problem can be addressed before moving on to the next step. My methods may be questionable but as you said

Quote:
Dj-M-BEzzelE Your advise was totally helpful and i'm working on it!!!!!!!

you learned the lesson in the end and hopefully your getting involved with learniong the hows and whys of our wonderful culture and hopefully youll get it mastered and elevate it in the future instead of watering and bogging it down for the rest of us.

Practice and enjoy!!
Serato
adrian w 8:49 PM - 4 August, 2011
Quote:
so telling a new user they should acutually learn instead of looking for the easiest way to get to the top is pointlessm, not on topic, and a watse of time??

I was referring to the unnecessarily long and repeatitive "IGNORE THIS POST" quote. Shit like that's just unnecessary.
ninjaty 10:06 PM - 4 August, 2011
My 2 cents...

I've been djing for around 10 years, starting on real vinyl but if I was starting out right now I would totally be focused more on production/remixing and learning programs that allow you to translate your stuff live. That would depend on the style you are going for. If you want to be a battle style rocker then I would get turntables and beatmatching would be very important. If you want to be more of a live producer EDM style dj then I would probably not even consider getting turntables, focus on midi controllers and how to use/program them like an engineer.

Dont let these guys discourage you. Truth is nobody really cares about how you dj except other djs and they are not paying your bills, they want your job. Some of the biggest and highest paid touring djs today barely ever touched turntables, if at all.

Good luck to you.

Flame on.
Wazo 10:12 PM - 4 August, 2011
youre all wankers
Dharak 10:35 PM - 4 August, 2011
Really well explained DJ-M-Bezzele and yes i'm practicing a lot to beatmatch manually and getting a little hang of it, As you said it going to take a lot of practice, Thanks for the advice bro..

Thanks ninjaty, you are also totally right, but im am focusing on both DJ/Producer. Thanks... for the adivce bro!!!
Dharak 10:35 PM - 4 August, 2011
Advice*
dj_soo 10:50 PM - 4 August, 2011
Quote:
youre all wankers

+1
jwagner 11:34 PM - 4 August, 2011
lock thread
djpuma_gemini 11:42 PM - 4 August, 2011
The first question should be why do you want to dj?
djpuma_gemini 11:42 PM - 4 August, 2011
I did it cause I had a ton of music from limewire and wanted to get paid, how about you.
dj_soo 12:39 AM - 5 August, 2011
chicks.

totally about the chicks.
DJ.Tyme 3:57 AM - 5 August, 2011
love of music,being center stage,ladies love DJ's :-0
ninos 4:40 AM - 5 August, 2011
DJ's Love BJ's.
dizzyrocks2001 9:01 AM - 5 August, 2011
Wow, there are a lot of douches contributing to this thread. Be nice to the kid, he's just starting out. And to say that turntables are the only way to go and NOT start off with a midi controller is ridiculous advice in this day and age. There's a lot of elitist attitudes flying around in this thread... you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:30 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
And to say that turntables are the only way to go and NOT start off with a midi controller is ridiculous advice in this day and age. There's a lot of elitist attitudes flying around in this thread... you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

so saying to acutually learn the craft instead of looking for the easiest way to get a job without learning anything is being an elitist??!?

I went down to the hospital today and applied to be a brain surgon but they said i needed a degree, their just a bunch of elitists
dizzyrocks2001 1:36 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
And to say that turntables are the only way to go and NOT start off with a midi controller is ridiculous advice in this day and age. There's a lot of elitist attitudes flying around in this thread... you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

so saying to acutually learn the craft instead of looking for the easiest way to get a job without learning anything is being an elitist??!?

I went down to the hospital today and applied to be a brain surgon but they said i needed a degree, their just a bunch of elitists

Weak comparison. You're saying to learn to be a DJ someone has to go out and buy vinyl and 1200's and practice for a year before buying a MIDI controller?? I learned on vinyl because it was the pre-digital DJ era. But if someone is just starting out and they never learn to beatmatch by ear... who cares?
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:43 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
But if someone is just starting out and they never learn to beatmatch by ear... who cares?

If he really wants to be a DJ he should, personally I liek acutually knowing what im doing especially considering most clubs dont have controllers installed, they have TTs or CDJs so your lil cyn button isnt going to work in those situations. I personally would feel kinda embarassed if i got invited to do a guet spot at a club then showed up and had to back out of it because i didnt know how to do one of the most basic, fundamental aspects of the entire culture\busniess.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 1:45 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
Wow, there are a lot of douches contributing to this thread. Be nice to the kid, he's just starting out. And to say that turntables are the only way to go and NOT start off with a midi controller is ridiculous advice in this day and age. There's a lot of elitist attitudes flying around in this thread... you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

It's not elitist attitude, it's part of learning the craft. I've seen DJs that know how to spin with midi controllers but when they get to a real club and have turntables in front of them then they are totally lost and don't know what to do. Learn the basics and then evolve from there.
Quote:

But if someone is just starting out and they never learn to beatmatch by ear... who cares?

Exactly the attitude why so many DJs in clubs nowadays suck (nm)
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:51 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:

It's not elitist attitude, it's part of learning the craft. I've seen DJs that know how to spin with midi controllers but when they get to a real club and have turntables in front of them then they are totally lost and don't know what to do. Learn the basics and then evolve from there.

REAL LIFE EXAMPLE

serato.com

Quote:
Heres the situation. I went in 50/50 with my roommate on a set of numark V7"s back in Dec. He's an aspiring dubstep producer who's gotten interested in djing. I liked the oppurtunity to keep my techs at home plus the rebate was too good to pass up.
Now he's never mixed 2 tracks in his life b4 getting the V7's. And when we got them I suggested that he begin by learning to mix by ear and not use the waveforms/sync. Which is what he did for about a month....Until he started running with a few up and comming dubstep djs. I waatched all of them get down a coupple months ago and each one of them autosync's their entire sets. Which has led to my roommate completely abandoning the thought of even trying to learn to mix. Fastforward 3 months and he now has a coupple preplanned sync sets and hes begun to play out at local dubstep gigs. What I wanna know is do all or most edm dj's that are comming up get by with complete reliance on sync these days? Is it just a dubstep thing? (which i could see because my observation is most dubstep kids are so overwhelmingly interested on being "more creative" aka just wanna bang on effects.)
Or is the sync reliance something that is more prevelant in the amateur ranks and if so should I still be suggesting to my roommate/homie that he learns the proper skills. For the record all i wanna see is him progress and be as successful as possible. And if nowadays you can prosper with sync alone then I guess so be it! Just looks SOOOOO boring mixing like that......Hes just standing there bobbing around hitting the pio djm effect button the whole time lol!

Yea he's not utilizing any loops or cue points. Purely getting from track A to track B via sync. I've suggested to him that he learns to fully utilize the software I.e. loops cue points instant doubles. But it goes in 1 ear and out the other. And I kinda think he's hesitant to try anything using loops or cues (or any tips I give him) because none of his dubstep brethren use them so he won't either. (He's obviously very impressionable being new at everything) Which is why I wanna see him going in the right direction. Difficult even bringing it up cuz he gets salty so quick and I'm not trying to offend him.
Maybe Bezzle is right autosync creates insecurity!

You wanna see flustered we were all at my boy's gig (hes on a 57 and techs) and he started dropping some dubstep tunes and he said to my roommate "yo heard you've starded djing dubstep you wanna throw a coupple tracks down?" (no sync on a tech) Roommate started mumbling some jibberish then ran out the door! I did feel bad for him (I kept his secret safe)

dizzyrocks2001 2:22 PM - 5 August, 2011
What all of you need to keep in mind is that a time will come when turntables are a thing of the past, so to chastise a new DJ for learning on a MIDI controller is a form of snobbery. If a DJ chooses to learn on a MIDI controller and never learns to beatmatch by ear then so be it. Eventually clubs won't have turntables anymore and kids will be showing up with MIDI controllers that are familiar to them and will never touch turntables in their whole DJ career... who cares??? I've been spinning for 27 years and I think the new technology is great and I embrace it. You should do the same.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:29 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
If a DJ chooses to learn on a MIDI controller and never learns to beatmatch by ear then so be it

what exactly are they "learning" in this senario again?
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:30 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
Eventually clubs won't have turntables anymore and kids will be showing up with MIDI controllers that are familiar to them and will never touch turntables in their whole DJ career...

didnt they say this when CDJs came out?
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:32 PM - 5 August, 2011
Damn I cannot stand socialist DJs
dizzyrocks2001 3:00 PM - 5 August, 2011
You guys are getting way to caught up in all of this. You just need to take a step back and not worry so much about what the other guy is doing. Seriously. Some DJ's won't ever learn to beatmatch by ear, some will. Half of the DJs out there start up just to get girls and look cool, and then they give it up after a year or two anyways so who cares if they learn to beat match by ear or not? I worry about my own skills and don't give a crap about how the next guy matches his beats.
SeriousCyrus 3:11 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:

So that's why you try to block new technologies in case they increase competition.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:11 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
Half of the DJs out there start up just to get girls and look cool, and then they give it up after a year or two anyways so who cares if they learn to beat match by ear or not?

your right obviosuly we should be encouraging these guys and make them feel more welcome on the forum, just the other day i was commenting to sixxx "you know what the DJ game needs, more peopel who dont give a fuck about it and will only last a few months and are in it for the wrong reasons, what can we do to get more people like this on the forum"
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:13 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

So that's why you try to block new technologies in case they increase competition.

whos blocking new tech? Telling someone who is new that they should learn the basis does NOT mean they can never move past the basics. Get all the new tech you want, im using 2 techs, a nano kontrol, an hc 1000, dicers an X1 and running video off my macbook. I LOVE toys.
Wazo 5:10 PM - 5 August, 2011
best way to make a thread with a lots of posts.... ask a beginner question.
Papa Midnight 5:41 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
best way to make a thread with a lots of posts.... ask a beginner question.

No one can say no one saw it coming...

Quote:
Quote:
oh my, at this thread.

Indeed... Sorry, and not to bash you Dharak, but this thread is just baiting for trolling.

Threads like these are perfect flamebait.

Allow me to add some non-existent fuel to the pointless fire here. Some people are rather elitist with regards to tools of the trade. I personally think of it as something of an insecurity but that's just my personal opinion - which everyone is entitled too. I don't have to like their opinion, but I acknowledge their right to have one.

Quote:
Quote:

Come on now, adrian w. There's no way you didn't see the above (and what is inevitably bound to follow) coming...
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:16 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:

Some people are rather elitist with regards to tools of the trade. I personally think of it as something of an insecurity but that's just my personal opinion - which everyone is entitled too. I don't have to like their opinion, but I acknowledge their right to have one.

Im not elitist at all about what tools you use, I AM elitist about gaining knowledge and aquiring skills for what you do. Im a realist and ive seen it myself that no matter how good intentions are going in people are going to take the path of least resistance, in other words someone may CLAIM they want to know how to do everything the right way but if they start out using something that automates that for them their never gonna feel the need to learn it, also learning on older equipment gives you the oppritunity to learn to perfect a mix with outside variables like wow and flutter, if you can get a perfect mix with that you should be able to ACE the mix 100% of the time on something like CDJs and controllers.

Personally im just sick of all these new jacks begging to spin our partys then when they show up they need an extra table, room, they are plugging things in and out in the middle of the performace basically just overcomplicating things all because they never learned the basics and cant play on anything but their own equipment. I cant tell you how many people have shown up to events ive thrown asking where they can put their brand new controller and when i tell them their car they spend the rest of the night throwin a hissy fit about how they WOULD have killed it if i had let them set it up. Personally if you put me on pure vinyl IM GONNA KILL IT, put me on CDJs IM GONNA KILL IT, put me on a controller IM GONNA KILL IT, i can say thig because i learned the basic universal techniques. Lets see if the "i bought a controller so i wont have to learn much" kids say the same thing
Dharak 8:21 PM - 5 August, 2011
Dizzyrocks2001 you are right i mean i shouldn't let some1 else tell me how to run my things (like u said they r not paying my bills.) But it's not wrong to lear the complete art. (to draw a square you have to know how to make a STRAIGHT line.)
Dharak 8:21 PM - 5 August, 2011
Lets get 1 thing straight I DON'T wanna be a dj to get the bitches, I want to be a DJ because I love music. I got inspired at a young agen and just got more and more into as i grew, Yes i do know that a GOOD/PRO DJ gets a lot of bitchse, But like DJ-M-Bezzle means "you gotta learn the real way, u can't always take the easy way out. Also like papmidnight said You'll get back what u put into it,(You GOtta give respect to get respect Back.) Thanks To all the DJ's On this thread for all the great advice.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:28 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
Lets get 1 thing straight I DON'T wanna be a dj to get the bitches, I want to be a DJ because I love music. I got inspired at a young agen and just got more and more into as i grew, Yes i do know that a GOOD/PRO DJ gets a lot of bitchse, But like DJ-M-Bezzle means "you gotta learn the real way, u can't always take the easy way out. Also like papmidnight said You'll get back what u put into it,(You GOtta give respect to get respect Back.) Thanks To all the DJ's On this thread for all the great advice.

This ones got potential, keep that attitude it will get you far its good to see theres hope for the future, learn the craft and it will be much more enjoyable for you, youll have alot more fun interactin with the music then you would just standin there. Glad I could help ya out! Practice and enjoy!
Thundercat 8:32 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
it's not wrong to lear the complete art. (to draw a square you have to know how to make a STRAIGHT line.)

I like that...and I'm taking that little quote and stashing it away for future use. Great analogy.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:41 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
it's not wrong to lear the complete art. (to draw a square you have to know how to make a STRAIGHT line.)

I like that...and I'm taking that little quote and stashing it away for future use. Great analogy.

+1
ninjaty 12:13 AM - 6 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

Unless you use Illustrator or something like that cause it will draw a straight line or square for you:P
Papa Midnight 3:46 AM - 6 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

Unless you use Illustrator or something like that cause it will draw a straight line or square for you:P

Back in my day, we had a pencil or pen, and some paper. Right now, I'm sure there's someone with a chisel and stone hating hard.
DJ.Tyme 4:00 AM - 6 August, 2011
Quote:

+1 yeah Dharak is a kool youngster i try to give him advice when ever he ask. he pm's so certain DJ's on here don't see it because they like to clown instead of help
DJ.Tyme 4:05 AM - 6 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly the attitude why so many DJs in clubs nowadays suck (nm)
if (ANY) dj were to get in front of a turntable and be lost ? then he or she shouldn't be DJing. wut i mean by that is new guy or not they better have some knowledge of the = 2turntables & mixer
DJ.Tyme 4:15 AM - 6 August, 2011
Quote:
What all of you need to keep in mind is that a time will come when turntables are a thing of the past, so to chastise a new DJ for learning on a MIDI controller is a form of snobbery. If a DJ chooses to learn on a MIDI controller and never learns to beatmatch by ear then so be it. Eventually clubs won't have turntables anymore and kids will be showing up with MIDI controllers that are familiar to them and will never touch turntables in their whole DJ career... who cares??? I've been spinning for 27 years and I think the new technology is great and I embrace it. You should do the same.
wow serious 27 years ? no bs ive been in it since 1983 so im also in 20+years. i just tripped on that when i saw that. i got that saying on my dj banner & business card. when people see that long they no u gots lots of experience :-)
DJ-YO.MAMA 4:34 AM - 6 August, 2011
wow dharak damn rite your a beginner and i think you shouldn't even start now caz of the following reasons
~then you prob use virtual dj and use pussy controls like sync and shitty other buttons
~then u prob dont know abt you career and your future that is long ahead of u
~4th u should not waste your bullshit time on this bullshit
~ ive experienced being a dj and i regret it
SO PLZ TAKE MY ADVICE DHARAK AND SELL YOUR TURNTABLES AND DELETE ALL SOFTWARES AND START THINKING ABT A CAREER YOU CAN ACTUALLY GET SOMEWHERE IN LIFE
OR DONT TAKE MY ADVICE AND FUCK OFF
DJBIGWIZ 4:44 AM - 6 August, 2011
Quote:

Software: Virtual DJ-vs-Serato-vs-Tractor
(I don't care about looks and video mixing,I wanna know about Sound quality, Beatgrid,sync and stuff)
didn't read all the posts and this may have been answered but if you want the best sound quality, that's more than software. It's gonna start with how well your files are encoded then the sound quality of what they are running through... your mixer. If you want the mixer with the best sound quality, it's gonna be a Rane.
Dharak 5:09 AM - 6 August, 2011
Back in my day, we had a pencil or pen, and some paper. Right now, I'm sure there's someone with a chisel and stone hating hard.

I Understand but back in ur day u neded to know how to hold a pencil to start out with.........
Dharak 5:19 AM - 6 August, 2011
Quote:
wow dharak damn rite your a beginner and i think you shouldn't even start now caz of the following reasons
~then you prob use virtual dj and use pussy controls like sync and shitty other buttons
SO PLZ TAKE MY ADVICE DHARAK AND SELL YOUR TURNTABLES AND DELETE ALL SOFTWARES AND START THINKING ABT A CAREER YOU CAN ACTUALLY GET SOMEWHERE IN LIFE

Why make ding sound bad????
Those might be the reason y u quit, But those will be the things to improve for me,
Also IF i do it right and put into it i will get it back (what goes around comes back around,Either its good or bad it always come back around)
Basically what i mean is You get back what you put into it!!!!

And I have my future planed ahead and I HAVE IT PLANNED RIGHT FOR MAJORS IN @ CARRERS AND ! IS DJING) Thank you for the advice tho....
Dharak 5:25 AM - 6 August, 2011
Also Likee DJ Tyme said
""If (ANY) dj were to get in front of a turntable and be lost ? then he or she shouldn't be DJing. wut i mean by that is new guy or not they better have some knowledge of the = 2turntables & mixer""
Its always good to have the right knowledge.( U learn to Count before u learn to add)
Gotta know the a Past.....

Thanks DJ TYME!!!!
ninjaty 5:33 AM - 6 August, 2011
Quote:

I Understand but back in ur day u neded to know how to hold a pencil to start out with.........

Yeah but I know some designers that are amazing on the puter but cant freehand stick men. Does that make them not an artist?

Quote:
Also Likee DJ Tyme said
""If (ANY) dj were to get in front of a turntable and be lost ? then he or she shouldn't be DJing. wut i mean by that is new guy or not they better have some knowledge of the = 2turntables & mixer""
Its always good to have the right knowledge.( U learn to Count before u learn to add)

Thanks DJ TYME!!!!

I'm sure someone like Deadmau5 would be laughing at this statement all the way to the bank.
Dharak 5:35 AM - 6 August, 2011
funny u say tat its a quote by som1 just like him!!!!!!!!! Tiesto'
ninjaty 5:48 AM - 6 August, 2011
Tiesto and Deadmau5 alike? Maybe you do have a lot learn.
Dharak 5:59 AM - 6 August, 2011
BY Alike i ment amazing and popular!!!!
Papa Midnight 6:59 AM - 6 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't misunderstand me. That was actually a joke (but seriously, I do draw with a pencil and paper; maybe another piece of paper for shading as well). What I was pointing out is that some people who started on older equipment seem to hate new equipment no matter what advantages it may offer... and then some people flat out act like jerks.

Quote:

Case in point...
Really helpful information right there...
I mean, really.
Top notch.
*Thumbs up*
DJ.Tyme 2:14 PM - 6 August, 2011
Quote:
DJ Yo mama ??? Wow Get Lost You bumb
Dharak 4:32 PM - 6 August, 2011
I totally understand papmidnight, Also not all r jerks some r nice like u and DJ Tyme and many more....!!!!
DJ-YO.MAMA 6:09 PM - 6 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Why make ding sound bad????

dony waste your time kid someone will always take your spotlight and then what r u gonna do
HUH answer me
Those might be the reason y u quit, But those will be the things to improve for me,
Also IF i do it right and put into it i will get it back (what goes around comes back around,Either its good or bad it always come back around)
Basically what i mean is You get back what you put into it!!!!

And I have my future planed ahead and I HAVE IT PLANNED RIGHT FOR MAJORS IN @ CARRERS AND ! IS DJING) Thank you for the advice tho....
DJ-YO.MAMA 6:10 PM - 6 August, 2011
dont try kid someone will always take your spotlight and stab you in the back dont even try kid
Dharak 7:12 PM - 6 August, 2011
Quote:
dont try kid someone will always take your spotlight and stab you in the back dont even try kid

Watchwww.youtube.com

Lol JK bro i wanna be a dj but my main carrear is Civil/Computer engineering!!!
DJing is like a side carrer for me but Just as important as Civil/Computer engineering!!

1st-Masters Civil/Computer engineering
2nd-Part Time DJing (And dubspot maybe)

Thank You tho.
Dharak 7:16 PM - 6 August, 2011
NO HARD feelings tho!
DJ-YO.MAMA 11:22 PM - 6 August, 2011
dharak im srry i was so HARD on you i didnt mean all that and i am really really really really really really srry and i hope you forgive me see the only reason i was being mean was to hide my identity, so im srry kid
:)
GilesDavis 4:08 AM - 7 August, 2011
I learnt to beatmatch by ear on my vci300, didnt have the cash for TT's/mixer/SL at the time. I would recommend it for any beginner who is a bit strapped or wants to just dip their toes in.

It's a easy as having a little self discipline & a piece of paper to put over the waveforms/bpms....
GilesDavis 4:17 AM - 7 August, 2011
Just to be clear, Dharak, Im just pointing out that buying a controller & learning all the foundations skills to DJ properly aren't mutually exclusive.

I learnt exclusively on a controller my first 6 months in the game, my first club gig came up & it just so happened that the club owners only allow cd's in the booth, no laptops (don't even get me started) & I was nervous as hell as I'd never used cdj's. Thanks to the resident being a super nice dude & giving me a quick lesson on the 900's, & me having made the effort to learn to use my ears, I was super stoked with my set, & have a residency there now :)
Dharak 2:36 PM - 7 August, 2011
Thanks HArlan, I have a controller but just yesterday i went to guiter center to play around with the NS7 and cdj-900's and djm 2000 it's hard but if i put the work into it i'll lget it, And they were so good they make my mixtrack pro look like trash, but still i gotta strt low.. but i do the thing u said cover up the wave form, Thnaks.
DJ.Tyme 8:05 PM - 7 August, 2011
piece of paper to put over the waveforms/bpms....? me honestly i don't pay much attention to the waveforms and bpm's. i started in 1983 1st two turntables and a mixer / 2nd numark cd mix3 / 3rd two Denon Dn-s3500's and a mixer (i didn't go the Fanboy be a FOLLOWER and not a LEADER pioneer bandwagon route) Industry Standard BS. what DJ's seem to not understand (WE) (US) (DJ's) are the industry ? we are the one's putting in the work @ clubs,weddings,school events,ect,ect. so just because dj a says hey, this iz what everyone else is using. im not gonna just run out to guitar center and buy some pioneers ? I'VE NEVER BEEN THE ONE TO GOING FOLLOWING EVERYONE ELSE ??? when i 1st went into GC and saw the denon dn-s3500 and pioneer cdj 800. it was a no-brainer. come on now after spinning so long on turntables and then seeing them platters spinning on the denons ??? vs a non moving platter ? i didn't even trip on the effects and bling. for me the spinning platter it what got me sold on the denons. then i bought the rane SL3 and laptop and started using SSL,then i sold everythang and bought brand new laptop and numark NS7. using itch 2.0 and virtual dj. ohhhh yeahhh my 1st point was, since im old school i don't and didn't give a hoot about looking at the waveforms and kould kare less about bpm. i just grab 2 songs and put them in the mix, like i have been for the past 28 years. last note i read all these post with different dj's going back and forth about the new sync way vs old sync way. DJ Loco 123 from another post says it the best = It's simply amazing on how many people complain and rely on the Sync feature(s). Trying doing it old school and using your ear for beat matching. That's a requirement to be a "DJ"... in my opinion of course.
DJ-YO.MAMA 8:31 PM - 7 August, 2011
Quote:
Thanks HArlan, I have a controller but just yesterday i went to guiter center to play around with the NS7 and cdj-900's and djm 2000 it's hard but if i put the work into it i'll lget it, And they were so good they make my mixtrack pro look like trash, but still i gotta strt low.. but i do the thing u said cover up the wave form, Thnaks.

dude i saw u at guitar center remember it was so cool im like hey your the guy from serato.com and he's like hey your dj yo mama and we had a good time, i taught him and helped him out :D
Dharak 9:25 PM - 7 August, 2011
He shoots and scores Nice explanation DJ Tyme
GilesDavis 2:27 AM - 8 August, 2011
Quote:
piece of paper to put over the waveforms/bpms....? me honestly i don't pay much attention to the waveforms and bpm's.

Just a tip I found useful when beginning. When you are green as grass learning on SSL/Itch (not on TT's/mixer as you did) it's so tempting to just glance at the wavs to see which way its drifting or how far out you are instead of using your ears. Having the wavs/bpms covered just made it easier for me, as I WAS dedicated to learning solid beatmatching skills.

I was just making a point for Dharak (& other greenies) that just because you can't afford TT's doesn't mean you should be put off by all the "controller hate" around here. I learnt solid skills on my VCI300 & now that I do have 1210's, oh how I love the *ish out of them :)
DJ-YO.MAMA 2:57 AM - 8 August, 2011
im goin to guitar center tommorrow hopefully i meet u there
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:21 PM - 8 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah but I know some designers that are amazing on the puter but cant freehand stick men. Does that make them not an artist?

Quote:
Also Likee DJ Tyme said

Thanks DJ TYME!!!!

I'm sure someone like Deadmau5 would be laughing at this statement all the way to the bank.

Deadmau5 is not a DJ so i dont see the comparison
Dharak 5:24 PM - 8 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
piece of paper to put over the waveforms/bpms....? me honestly i don't pay much attention to the waveforms and bpm's.

Just a tip I found useful when beginning. When you are green as grass learning on SSL/Itch (not on TT's/mixer as you did) it's so tempting to just glance at the wavs to see which way its drifting or how far out you are instead of using your ears. Having the wavs/bpms covered just made it easier for me, as I WAS dedicated to learning solid beatmatching skills.

I was just making a point for Dharak (& other greenies) that just because you can't afford TT's doesn't mean you should be put off by all the "controller hate" around here. I learnt solid skills on my VCI300 & now that I do have 1210's, oh how I love the *ish out of them :)

I understand what u mean but i just try to have more self controle!!!!!!
DJ Phantomz 12:07 AM - 18 August, 2011
new to these forums as well. i've been reading a lot. also a..somewhat new dj. been doing it for 7-8 months now. but I personally HATE the sync button. i'd much rather move the pitch sliders and fix the bpms myself. then lineup the beats using waveforms, or if the waveforms get confusing, by ear. i've been using the ns7 my whole djing "life" i guess you could say. and i've used the sync button ehfew times. i just hate how it works. personally. it's better, and more accurate to line up bpms and then waveforms. specially if you don't want to take the several hours worth of work to go through and fix all your beatgrids in itch.
DJ Phantomz 12:08 AM - 18 August, 2011
this goes back up to a while ago when people were talking about using sync and all that
DJ.Tyme 12:59 AM - 18 August, 2011
LMAO, Everyone wants to and thinks they are a DJ just because they have a Sync feature to do the skill for them. Once it's taken away, they are like lost mice looking for a piece a cheese. It's amazing...

Use and train your ear to do the work like we used to do it and you won't be lost without the Sync feature. It should be used as a convien. and not rely on it.
DJ.Tyme 1:01 AM - 18 August, 2011
It's simply amazing on how many people complain and rely on the Sync feature(s). Trying doing it old school and using your ear for beat matching. That's a requirement to be a "DJ"... in my opinion of course.
ninjaty 1:39 AM - 18 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Also Likee DJ Tyme said

Thanks DJ TYME!!!!

Deadmau5 is not a DJ so i dont see the comparison

Whatever
dj_soo 2:57 AM - 18 August, 2011
Quote:
then lineup the beats using waveforms, or if the waveforms get confusing, by ear.

try switching the orders of that and you'll improve by leaps and bounds...
jwagner 8:00 AM - 18 August, 2011
Hate to say it but the DJ community is made up of at least 90% talentless posers.

I'm not god's gift to djing but I respect the culture enough to learn the right way and not front and use it as some kind of status symbol like the rest of these clowns
DJ Dynamite - NJ 6:31 PM - 18 August, 2011
Quote:
Hate to say it but the DJ community is made up of at least 90% talentless posers.

I'm not god's gift to djing but I respect the culture enough to learn the right way and not front and use it as some kind of status symbol like the rest of these clowns

+1
Wazo 8:57 PM - 18 August, 2011
Quote:

+1
DJ Phantomz 7:38 AM - 23 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
then lineup the beats using waveforms, or if the waveforms get confusing, by ear.

try switching the orders of that and you'll improve by leaps and bounds...

already been training myself for that :D. it's not as hard as people make it out to be. so i think it's stupid that djs don't learn it. i mean really. I only used wave forms cause I was new and it was there. hated the sync feature from the start. and honestly. beat matching by ear actually shows you have talent. and passion to be a dj. just my opinion though.
dj_soo 8:28 AM - 23 August, 2011
Quote:
it's not as hard as people make it out to be.

it's not hard at all - which is why it boggle the mind at how many new djs refuse to learn to mix by ear...
dj_soo 8:30 AM - 23 August, 2011
I find learning to beatmatch by ear kind of like riding a bike.

You're going to suck at it at first, but one day you'll just get it. From that point on, all you need to do is to stay in practice otherwise you might get a little wobbly, but once you get it, you get it...
DJ.Tyme 5:55 PM - 23 August, 2011
I feel you DJ phantomz 100%
D.J. Trikz 6:55 AM - 19 September, 2011
I'm directing this towards Dharak:

If you're looking to get into the game and wondering what kinda equip to go to this is my personal mobile setup/suggestion.

First off, before buying anything else, make sure you have a WELL BUILT laptop. I personally use a Macbook Pro, but my counterpart that spins with me often uses a custom built Windows Laptop. It really makes no difference, but I will say I prefer library scrolling with the mac trackpad over any one I have seen on a windows pc so far.

Second: TT or Controller? Personally, I love TTs, but I travel a lot and the next best thing to tradition vinyl for me is the Numark NS7 w/Itch. As a beginner I support learning your craft, take the sync button, and put a piece of electrical tape over it so it's not tempting...that way you don't embarass yourself if you are ever forced to use traditional methods. Also, on the NS7, I strongly recommend buying a set of Butter Rugz, and cutting and swapping the stock slipmats for these for the true classic vinyl feel.

Next: Mixer at this point is irrelevant with an NS7, it's built in. But should you go to the V7's (basically the same thing but using an external mixer) I personally use the DJM800 by Pioneer, my counterpart has a Rane 68. Both rediculously well built, good sound, and reliable above all.

Finally: Headphones are about as diverse as cars at this point. Color, size, style, performance, it's all personal preferance. You don't need to spend top dollar on a set of Beats Pro's to get the sound you need. I have about 7 sets of headphones right now, mostly cause I get bored and wanna try something new a lot. My personal preferance list from best to worst: Pioneer HDJ-2000, Xone XD-53, Shure SRH750DJ, and finally the Numark Red Wave. If you're on a tight budget, the Red Waves for $99 at GC are actually quite nice for the price. Good solid hinges, but a little too much bass for my taste. I usually end up going with my Shure SRH750s. They are comfy, clear, loud, and good isolation in a loud club.

Again, take advice or leave it, your decisions to make in the end. For a beginner that needs a high level set for not a lotta money thats still mobile, I've never felt bad about buying my NS7. If you wanna experience your craft to the fullest extent possible, buy a Vestax battle mixer, and two Technics SL-1200MKII Turntables, and some Tech headshells with Shure M44-7 needles. That's DJ perfection right there.
D.J. Trikz 6:58 AM - 19 September, 2011
Oh, and Dharak, to add to the mixer list: I have also used a Behinger DDM-4000 mixer for a while too. It's not the most durable thing in the world, but it does have XLR outputs, a not awful crossfader, effects, and it costs about 1/4 of a DJM-800. If your paychecks need to buy food also lol.
toasted 8:56 AM - 19 September, 2011
get turntables/mixer and learn the right way, if your cut out to do it then in a few years when youv learnt your trade then think about getting a controller, otherwise you will struggle to get taken seriously

anyway im off to drive my new ferrari, well my mums gonna drive it and il give her directions, well the satnav will
D.J. Trikz 9:09 AM - 19 September, 2011
Ferrari? Enjoy driving the very thing I stand against daily....don't buy something fast, buy it, and make it fast. I'll put a grand down on my camaro vs. your ferrari stop light to stop light any day of the week....even if ur mum has to drive it for u :)
DJ Dynamite - NJ 11:15 AM - 20 September, 2011
but what if he buys something fast and makes it faster... would you put your pink slip up against his then? LOL