DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Denon DNX 1600

Jeff Scott 8:30 PM - 6 January, 2011
Just about to purchase one of these mixers www.decks.co.uk does any one use/own one and whats your thoughts on it?

Looks good to me with all the midi capability and sound quality is supposed to be top notch, i'm coming from the DNX 1500 which i'v always preferred over DJMs and hopefully this will be a big improvement
dj-freestyle 8:58 PM - 6 January, 2011
Im curious to? I have 1500 and love it. Gonna buy some 3700's and a want a new mixer to.
Jeff Scott 10:04 PM - 10 January, 2011
..........Bump
Discobee 4:54 AM - 22 July, 2011
So.....I'm thinking about getting this 1600 mixer to go with my 3700 cdj's. Price seems decent in the $800-900 range. Anyone have anything to say about this mixer? (Preferably if you actually own one, instead of just saying that it sucks or something please).
TGK 5:51 AM - 22 July, 2011
Well I'm using it 6 months now , very good mixer for price and features. I've mapped midi to scratch live too.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Discobee 6:12 AM - 22 July, 2011
So is that the Beatbreak effect you're using? I like the sound of the stuttering / beat chopping that it does. That's something unique about the Denon....plus the individual MIDI channels seems pretty neat too. Might have to sell off one of my Pioneer DJM700 to get this Denon.
TGK 6:21 AM - 22 July, 2011
I use loop roll. :)
Discobee 6:27 AM - 22 July, 2011
Watchwww.youtube.com

Ahhhh the loop roll, nice. I just watched this overview video about it and it's really making me want to get it.
TGK 6:36 AM - 22 July, 2011
great !!! I use this mixer everyday... still no issues. upgraded to new firmware as well. I hope denon will release more effects and feature with coming firmwares in future.
Discobee 7:37 AM - 22 July, 2011
What about the X1700? versus the X1600....big difference in price it seems...but I don't really see much difference in features, other than 1 effector on the 1600 vs 2 on the 1700...and maybe some other cosmetic things like LEDs....
TGK 8:30 AM - 22 July, 2011
well its nice but too costly for me. I think it uses most of the the same components as X1600.
I still prefer X1600 over most of the top mixers in the market.
Discobee 9:15 PM - 22 July, 2011
There's a guy locally near me that has a like-new X1700 for sale that I've talked down to $1000. I think I might go for that, what do you think thxj?
TGK 4:34 AM - 23 July, 2011
well thats a good deal then. u only miss the midi controller built in X1600 n roland V link. In addition u get two supa effects units. :) please check the denon X1700 forum too, that might be helpfull to you. I wish Rane 68 had this kind of display (X1700), rather than tiny one where cannot get a full information at all.

www.denondjforums.com
Discobee 6:34 AM - 23 July, 2011
So I went and bought the X1700 for $1000. Took it home and updated the firmware right away. Oh man, this mixer is so awesome. This (along with the X1600) blows away the Pioneer DJM 700, 800 and 2000 altogether! The Beatbreaker effect is so sick...it's live remixing made with ease. I'm shocked DJs don't get behind this mixer more, it's made in Japan too, so the build quality is definitely there.

My spare Pioneer DJM700 is going on Craigslist for sure! (not advertising)

i90.photobucket.com
Jeff Scott 8:39 AM - 23 July, 2011
I finally got mine about a month ago due to a tax rebate mess around and its a beast, in my opinion its blows the DJMs aswell! Sound quality is superb loads of features and and the build quality is top notch. I use mine along side an X1 and done a small bar gig for a friend with just the mixer and midi controller with Serato, I set channels 2 and 3 for music and setup 1 and 4s channels faders to control fine pitch. Its superb as just a standard DJ mixer but its so much more, I'v used it as a 4 channel Ableton sound card whilst using the midi aswell and with the newest firmware (V2000) the channels the midi strips combine so you can control audio as well as midi at the same time.

The only small gripe I have is the you have to be careful with your wet/dry level when engaging effects as if you have it too high the music drops a bit and its more effected than I would like but after a while you get used to it, no major issue.

I really would recommend this mixer to anyone!
DJ Remy USA 12:44 PM - 23 July, 2011
How is the cutting in the crossfader I sold my zero 4 to get a 57 and oh do I miss the fx. Rane is really lacking in the fx department.
Discobee 1:01 PM - 23 July, 2011
Quote:
How is the cutting in the crossfader I sold my zero 4 to get a 57 and oh do I miss the fx. Rane is really lacking in the fx department.

Supposedly (some DJs on the Denon forum have said), the cut-in on the Denon FlexFader lags about 1mm on the cut-in. But from the looks in the video of this user, the cuts are just fine. In fact, it's pretty awesome.

serato.com
Discobee 1:05 PM - 23 July, 2011
Oh, and yes, if you mess with effects, the Denon exclusive "beatbreaker" effect will have you saying WOW!

Watchwww.youtube.com 6 minute mark
WarpNote 2:16 PM - 23 July, 2011
The beatbraker effect is really nice.
While my 68 was in for repair I had a 1600 for a few weeks.

Somebody asked me what I thought about the mixer then,
so here are my thoughts after a few weeks of use: serato.com

"All in all, I really like the 1600. I used it with another dj playing back-to-back: 2 laptops/SL1s (2 turntables-standard piggyback connection) with the PA in the club, JBL EON monitors. Also used it with my brand new SL4 this weekend for 2 different mobiles running QSC K12 speakers, jbl monitors, no sub.

Solid and clear sound, I did update the firmware though, as It increases the headroom. Gain structure seems more like the DJM 800 than the Sixty Eight (I prefer the Sixty Eight gain structure myself, though)

The sound quality is impressive for the selling price IMO. I did have some minor issues with some FX, the gain would dip quite some (especially the reverb). Also the echo cutoff (fade out) was a little quick for my liking, but this can be solved with the excellent loop function. (feeds a loop into the fx bank and you can basically lift the needle of and let the loop play alone, and control the volume of it with the dry/wet) And the beatbreaker fx was fun to mess with. Found myself playing a track for over 2 hours, instance looped in SSL with the 1600 beatbraker fx assigned, playing over an echoed beat from Ableton (Bridge).

The mixer has a solid nice feel to it, faders have longer travel than the Sixty Eight, and fader caps are thinner. (So whatever cup of tea you prefer...) I'm not a fan of the metal click crossfader sound myself, but thats more of a personal preference I guess. It did get a little warm, when we played at the club, but performed flawlessly.

I never got to mess around with the midi, as I just purchased dicers, they got all the attention.
But from what Ty at AgiPro said in their video, midi has been really cleverly thought out on both 1600 and 1700 models.

Would I reccomend this mixer? Sure, it felt like a well rounded clubmixer, and I still could practice cuts on it. Well rounded fx, a separate HP/LP filter (this did not do full kill like the Sixty Eight, and there is not a separate one for each channel, but can be layerd over the fx assigned channel, ie stuff like echos with filter, reverb with filter can be done), and I believe the eq's was full kill. "
TGK 4:47 PM - 23 July, 2011
Quote:
So I went and bought the X1700 for $1000. Took it home and updated the firmware right away. Oh man, this mixer is so awesome. This (along with the X1600) blows away the Pioneer DJM 700, 800 and 2000 altogether! The Beatbreaker effect is so sick...it's live remixing made with ease. I'm shocked DJs don't get behind this mixer more, it's made in Japan too, so the build quality is definitely there.

Great !!! these two denons [X1600, X1700] will be there for sometime. since both are firmware upgradable denon will release few more features soon I guess.
Dj Wunder 2:42 AM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:

Solid and clear sound, I did update the firmware though, as It increases the headroom. Gain structure seems more like the DJM 800 than the Sixty Eight (I prefer the Sixty Eight gain structure myself, though)

Hey WarpNote I was playing at this one spot with my 1600 and the sound was distorted as all hell. I pulled all gains down so not one yellow light flickered, sound still jacked. I'm thinking the club system was jacked, but I had a buddy bring the 57 through to finish the night, and the 57 sounded as good as it should.

Could you expand on your summary of the gain structure? I'm trying to get to the bottom of this
Rebelguy 4:23 AM - 27 February, 2012
The 1600 is a solid mixer for the money. The midi capabilities are way better then on the 1700. The 1700 seems to be built a little bit better though. Sound quality is decent. It seems a little thin to me at times. The DJM-900 sounds better and louder.

As an FYI, i used to own a 1700 but sold it because of problems which Denon eventually fixed down the line.

I currently own the 1600 and the DJM-900.
Dj Wunder 4:48 AM - 27 February, 2012
I feel you on that "thin" sound, I roll with the treble cut to about 11 o'clock. Works for me
WarpNote 10:06 AM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Could you expand on your summary of the gain structure? I'm trying to get to the bottom of this
It's been a while since I played the 1600 now, I own the 68, and DJM400 as a backup mixer. From what Ive been explained by sound-techs, the Denon gain structure is similar to the DJM series, ie if the master leds go into the reds, the mixer will clip. With the 68, 62 & 61 the master gain on the new Rane mixers are post mix. Ie the master gain do not affect clipping at all, and as long as you stay out of the reds you can more or less crank the mixer all the way up. I'm not sure about the 57, been a loooong time since I played on it.

Quote:
my 1600 and the sound was distorted as all hell.
You did update the firmware right? You probably wanna test out mixer on a large system while not in a rush before getting on a gig. If you still have problems with it, you might have to take it into repairs? Sorry for not being more helpful. Best of luck Wunder!

Quote:
The DJM-900 sounds better and louder.
Rebel, whats your opinion on the 900 compared to the 800?
I played on a 800 w/SL4 last night, quite big sound system, ears still ringing....
Dj Wunder 12:55 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
It's been a while since I played the 1600 now, I own the 68, and DJM400 as a backup mixer. From what Ive been explained by sound-techs, the Denon gain structure is similar to the DJM series, ie if the master leds go into the reds, the mixer will clip. With the 68, 62 & 61 the master gain on the new Rane mixers are post mix. Ie the master gain do not affect clipping at all, and as long as you stay out of the reds you can more or less crank the mixer all the way up. I'm not sure about the 57, been a loooong time since I played on it.

Quote:
my 1600 and the sound was distorted as all hell.

You did update the firmware right? You probably wanna test out mixer on a large system while not in a rush before getting on a gig. If you still have problems with it, you might have to take it into repairs? Sorry for not being more helpful. Best of luck Wunder!

Much appreciated man, I'll check the firmware but it was current as of a few months ago
WarpNote 2:26 PM - 27 February, 2012
Also Wunder, what SSL version are you running? Did you try a standard vinyl or CD signal? There are a known gain bug prior to 2.4. As far as I understand, the gain bug is different for each of the Rane sound interfaces. Might be something to look into...?
dj-freestyle 8:13 PM - 27 February, 2012
Thats strange. Ive been using my 1600 out alot lately and havent had a sound issue. ill have to keep my ear open to see.
Dj Wunder 9:37 PM - 27 February, 2012

I had everything green, the LEDs in serato, channels, and master. Didn't get to try vinyl or CD. A friend on his lappy + ssl sounded the same. Haven't had a chance to plug in to my own system and test more...
Rebelguy 10:04 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:

Quote:
The DJM-900 sounds better and louder.
Rebel, whats your opinion on the 900 compared to the 800?
I played on a 800 w/SL4 last night, quite big sound system, ears still ringing....

I like the 900 over the 800. Not a total difference in sound quality but it is better. The main reason I finally pulled the trigger was the option for full kill eqs and the built in soundcard.

It's a great mixer for rentals also. It's the main mixer and brand you will see on any DJ rider.
dj-freestyle 2:00 AM - 28 February, 2012
1600 has sound card and kills do nothing for me so wasnt a thing i needed.
dj-freestyle 2:01 AM - 28 February, 2012
Sorry didnt see post about 800 over 900. I wonder what 850 will sound like compared to 800?
WarpNote 3:18 AM - 28 February, 2012
Thanks Rebel, most places I play still have the 800. I like full kill EQs too.
Looks like they built it into the 850.
Rebelguy 4:28 AM - 28 February, 2012
Quote:
Thanks Rebel, most places I play still have the 800. I like full kill EQs too.
Looks like they built it into the 850.

No problem. One of the other reasons I went for the 900 was that I had already been hearing rumors that the 800 was being discontinued so it just seemed like right thing to do.