DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

BeatBreaker FX in Ableton - Similar to the Denon 1600/1700 built in effect

WarpNote 11:24 PM - 20 June, 2011
So I was having the 1600 on loan for a couple of weeks. And the Beatbreaker is quit nice to instantly mash/remix a drum or a synth or whatever really. Just wanted to ask if any you guys have a quick tip to achieve this in ableton/bridge ? (still pretty new to the FX section of Ableton)

And if anyone know an explanation over at the Ableton forums please post a link.

Thanks, warp.
Anu 12:33 AM - 21 June, 2011
Would like to know what you think of the 1600....

Beat repeat should be able to get that done, use a few of instances with some different start and end times.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
WarpNote 1:34 AM - 21 June, 2011
Thanks Anu, very useful. Ill play around with the beat reaper.
(actually used that effect about a year ago, come to think about it...)

The 1600 was a replacement while my Sixty Eight was in for repair.
All in all, I really like the 1600. I used it with another dj playing back-to-back: 2 laptops/SL1s (2 turntables-standard piggyback connection) with the PA in the club, JBL EON monitors. Also used it with my brand new SL4 this weekend for 2 different mobiles running QSC K12 speakers, jbl monitors, no sub.

Solid and clear sound, I did update the firmware though, as It increases the headroom. Gain structure seems more like the DJM 800 than the Sixty Eight (I prefer the Sixty Eight gain structure myself, though)

The sound quality is impressive for the selling price IMO. I did have some minor issues with some FX, the gain would dip quite some (especially the reverb). Also the echo cutoff (fade out) was a little quick for my liking, but this can be solved with the excellent loop function. (feeds a loop into the fx bank and you can basically lift the needle of and let the loop play alone, and control the volume of it with the dry/wet) And the beatbreaker fx was fun to mess with. Found myself playing a track for over 2 hours, instance looped in SSL with the 1600 beatbraker fx assigned, playing over an echoed beat from Ableton (Bridge).

The mixer has a solid nice feel to it, faders have longer travel than the Sixty Eight, and fader caps are thinner. (So whatever cup of tea you prefer...) I'm not a fan of the metal click crossfader sound myself, but thats more of a personal preference I guess. It did get a little warm, when we played at the club, but performed flawlessly.

I never got to mess around with the midi, as I just purchased dicers, they got all the attention.
But from what Ty at AgiPro said in their video, midi has been really cleverly thought out on both 1600 and 1700 models.

Would I reccomend this mixer? Sure, it felt like a well rounded clubmixer, and I still could practice cuts on it. Well rounded fx, a separate HP/LP filter (this did not do full kill like the Sixty Eight, and there is not a separate one for each channel, but can be layerd over the fx assigned channel, ie stuff like echos with filter, reverb with filter can be done), and I believe the eq's was full kill.
Anu 2:27 AM - 21 June, 2011
Thanks for the review ......I want one for the studio......

Need to get my sl4 game up first,you guys make me jealous with the gear....

What went wrong on the sixty eight if you don't mind me asking...?
WarpNote 2:18 PM - 21 June, 2011
The sixty eight was a demo unit, so Im guessing some individuals might been hammering to hard on it.
Had a few issues with some of the bottons. But the supplier came though, actually gave me a replacement unit. Been really pleased with that mixer (got it in december...)