DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Video: iPad And Scratch Live (Including A 'How-To' Guide)

DVDjHardy 6:22 AM - 26 April, 2010
A few people had asked me about how I set-up the iPad as a MIDI controller for Scratch LIve. I wish I could embed the videos here, but check out the detailed post on my blog if you want details on how to set this up on your device: iknowhardy.com

Here are the screen shots of my template in TouchOSC:

Main: iknowhardy.com
EFX: iknowhardy.com
VSL: iknowhardy.com

Using TouchOSC on the iPad to control Scratch Live: Watchwww.youtube.com

Using ToneTable on the iPad to control Scratch Live: Watchwww.youtube.com

ToneTable isn't available on the iPad yet, but should be in the near future. Before you bash it, keep in mind that nobody in their right mind would use it as their main player for Serato. However, it could be a great back up deck (unless you're satisfied with using internal mode) if your turntables or CD players have some type of an issue in the middle of a gig. All you would need is an iPad, Tonetable and a y-cable to run the control signal into the SL1/SL3/TTM-57. Nice work here by Inklen!
geeunot 7:43 AM - 26 April, 2010
Tonetable is availabe now I guess...scratchlive.net
DVDjHardy 11:25 AM - 26 April, 2010
Not for the iPad : dl.dropbox.com

He most likely has the same beta as I do.
Charlie 7:29 PM - 26 April, 2010
do we know for sure if Inklen will release an iPad version? It could be much faster and more responsive than the current iPhone app.
DVDjHardy 7:51 PM - 26 April, 2010
Quote:
do we know for sure if Inklen will release an iPad version? It could be much faster and more responsive than the current iPhone app.

I have the iPad beta. As does the guy in the other video.
Charlie 7:56 PM - 26 April, 2010
Quote:

Is it still crippled by latency? The latency shouldn't be bad considering the speed of the processor in the iPad. I know there are other variables, but it's not far away from older laptops which run Serato fast enough.
DVDjHardy 8:10 PM - 26 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Is it still crippled by latency? The latency shouldn't be bad considering the speed of the processor in the iPad. I know there are other variables, but it's not far away from older laptops which run Serato fast enough.

It's not terrible, but it's definitely not great. As the folks at Inklen have explained to me, there are some limitations with the hardware design of the iPad that will prevent it from having extremely low latency. One of them is the sound output. I'm sure they are working on their own algorithm to make it as low as possible, but there are very few ways to overcome a delay in sound coming out of the headphone jack.
Charlie 8:14 PM - 26 April, 2010
If they had a button for cue points and a "nudge faster/slower" feature I would consider it a better option than internal mode. Still neat though - hopefully the iPad version gets some upgrades.
DVDjHardy 8:33 PM - 26 April, 2010
There is a button for nudge faster/slower already. I guess I didn't quite mess around with that in my video. It would be cool to have tonetable and touchosc both running simultaneously, but that will have to wait until June when Apple drops iPhone OS 4.0 upgrade.
Jams 1:17 AM - 30 May, 2010
can you reup your ipad osc template?
thanks
Jams 8:10 PM - 31 May, 2010
DVDjHardy 1:30 PM - 1 June, 2010
Jams, I've tried uploading the zip as well the original files and people can't download it for some reason. The only way that seems to work is through email. Hit me up dvdjhardy at gmail.
Jams 7:21 PM - 1 June, 2010
thank you
Marty Mcfly 1:26 AM - 4 June, 2010
nice work. just sent an email for a copy of the template. do you mind if i host it on my dropbox so others can get to it easier?
Marty Mcfly 3:57 PM - 4 June, 2010
Ended up making my own template, really impressed how customizable everything is. Once I've got it tested, I'll post it here for whoever wants it. Hardy, Is there an easier way of mapping osculator to the touchosc template instead of pressing a trigger, then choosing "midi cc" then a value, one by one? And have you been using it out at gigs?
DVDjHardy 10:44 PM - 4 June, 2010
Hey peeps, sorry for the download problems. Nothing I can do about it, because it gives people issues with the original file and the zip as well. I share host and share mixes pretty consistently there without any issues, so I don't know what's up with these files.

Anyways, @MM, I have used it for about 8 weeks now at every gig and it's perfect. No issues. I highly suggest always creating your own network (even if there is a wifi at the club) because there seems to be a higher latency when I try to use wifi instead of my own VPN.

As for the Osculator file, you can select all and then make them 'MIDI CC' at once. Unfortunately, the numbers have to be assigned individually. But if you're using my template, you should just download the Osculator file from my blog as well and just use that.
_Stuart 1:34 AM - 6 June, 2010
focus, focus and zoom out, lol
Dj Randall 9:56 AM - 9 June, 2010
DVDjhardy... Love your work, so I am not the biggest tech head but I really would like to try running an Ipad as a midi contoller only for serato. I play CD's and Vinyl and only want to use the ipad for midi. Firstly as I have a mac book with only 2 usb ports so currently it;s 1 port for serato and another port for an akai midi controller. do I need to run internet or do I just link the laptop with ipad through wireless? everyone is mentioning latency and this is something that scares me as Im using midi to cue,drop and effects. Hope you can help...
DVDjHardy 1:15 PM - 9 June, 2010
No need to "run" the internet or even connect to internet. What you do is set up a peer-to-peer network on your laptop and then have your ipad choose this as the wireless connection. I've been using it for months and I rely on my midi controllers for loops and cue points heavily, so if the delay were an issue, I wouldn't recommend this to other people.

And in case you're wondering how to set-up a peer-to-peer network on your macbook:

1. Click on the airport wireless indicator on the top right corner of your screen.
2. Select 'Create New Network'.
3. Enter a name and hit OK.

That's it.
Dj Randall 4:40 AM - 10 June, 2010
Thanks that makes sense and I will try it once i purchase an Ipad soon. Can you suggest midi contol software for ipad???
thanks again!
DVDjHardy 5:27 AM - 10 June, 2010
Touchosc.
Nick_Max 12:10 AM - 11 June, 2010
Hi there,
I have a big problem..
How do i start mapping my midi control between serato and touchosc..
i have installed touchosc on my ipad and the osculator on my laptop (MAC)
got my layout into the ipad too..
made a peer to peer connection and its connected too
Now do i jus click on midi in serato and click the corresponding button on both or how it works..
sorry if am dumb.. cos this is all i could manage to do :-)
plzzz help
DVDjHardy 1:13 AM - 11 June, 2010
@Nick, take a look at this pic of my osculator settings: iknowhardy.com

If that is what your settings look like, then all you need to do is "jus click on midi in serato and click the corresponding button on both or how it works.." like you said.
Nick_Max 1:21 AM - 11 June, 2010
Hi Hardy,
Thanks for the speedy reply
As u said., wheneva i click on the serato key whicheva i wanna midi control and i do the same corresponding in the ipad.. a midi file has to form on the osculator rite?? Which doesn happen for me.. i see in the ipad tat the small green led burns wheneva i click., which mean the ipad is doin well but i mus be wrong somwhere in my laptop?
Is there a full fledged video where i can see and track where i went wrong?
DVDjHardy 6:53 AM - 11 June, 2010
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to make another video these days. Here's what I think is the problem if you're getting values showing up in Osculator. It is probably because once you create a network between your laptop and iPad, either a wireless network or peer-to-peer, you have to go into settings for Touch OSC and then pick Osculator as your host (the very first thing on the set-up screen). Once you choose that, hit every button/fader/knob on the iPad and that will create those empty "files" in Osculator. Then you have to assign MIDI CC to each one and those numbers too. Save the file, and then assign values in Serato. I hope that helps.
Mr.Nice 9:44 AM - 16 July, 2010
What do you do if the club doesn't have a wireless network?
KYLE SMILE 9:59 AM - 16 July, 2010
You create your own wireless network Mr.Nice, one just for your laptop and the ipad.
Mr.Nice 4:22 AM - 17 July, 2010
Can this be done with Bluetooth? Or do I need to bring a wireless router with me to a gig?
DJDeluchi 4:50 AM - 17 July, 2010
are you using a mac mr.nice?
Mr.Nice 8:45 AM - 17 July, 2010
yap, mac book pro.
DVDjHardy 5:21 PM - 17 July, 2010
Quote:
No need to "run" the internet or even connect to internet. What you do is set up a peer-to-peer network on your laptop and then have your ipad choose this as the wireless connection. I've been using it for months and I rely on my midi controllers for loops and cue points heavily, so if the delay were an issue, I wouldn't recommend this to other people.

And in case you're wondering how to set-up a peer-to-peer network on your macbook:

1. Click on the airport wireless indicator on the top right corner of your screen.
2. Select 'Create New Network'.
3. Enter a name and hit OK.

That's it.
KYLE SMILE 6:15 PM - 17 July, 2010
DVDjHardy, i've added 6 new buttons for the samples on the first page on the ipad. How do i create these in osculator?
DVDjHardy 12:21 AM - 18 July, 2010
Quote:
DVDjHardy, i've added 6 new buttons for the samples on the first page on the ipad. How do i create these in osculator?

You can connect touchosc to osculator like always. Once you press all those buttons, you should see 6 new values in osculator. You have to assign those 6 as MIDI CC and then add the numbers just like you did with my template. After that, you just have to assign them in Serato.
Mr.Nice 12:40 PM - 18 July, 2010
DVDJHardy - you've saved me with this info!! been struggling to find a midi solution and it's here!

I've noticed that some controls on Serato don't map to the 'Toggle' buttons (even when pressing C and changing the modes)

For instance I tried to map a 'toggle' switch to the on/off on the effects unsuccessfully -
I noticed in the template you had a push button instead of a toggle - is this a bug in Serato?
DVDjHardy 1:18 PM - 18 July, 2010
Quote:
DVDJHardy - you've saved me with this info!! been struggling to find a midi solution and it's here!

I've noticed that some controls on Serato don't map to the 'Toggle' buttons (even when pressing C and changing the modes)

For instance I tried to map a 'toggle' switch to the on/off on the effects unsuccessfully -
I noticed in the template you had a push button instead of a toggle - is this a bug in Serato?

I'm glad I could help, because I had the same issue as you on my very first template. I think the issue is probably osculator, because that is what generates the MIDI signal. I've used an on/off type switch before with Serato on my Maschine with good success.

Since the push keys worked and toggle keys didn't work, I just went back and changed them to push keys. But you'll notice that the ones for deck 1-4 do stay on and lit if you use my template, even though they're a push key.
Mr.Nice 9:50 PM - 18 July, 2010
Quote:
Since the push keys worked and toggle keys didn't work, I just went back and changed them to push keys. But you'll notice that the ones for deck 1-4 do stay on and lit if you use my template, even though they're a push key.

How did you get the push keys to stay lit?
DVDjHardy 10:48 PM - 18 July, 2010
I take that back...some of them are actually toggle keys on page 2 and 3. It's been over 3 months since I did it, can't remember what happened...but it works now.
Mr.Nice 5:18 AM - 19 July, 2010
No sweat, I'll have another play around. thanks! loving this :)
Allai 5:30 PM - 6 August, 2010
DVDjHardy - I'm running Touch OSC on my iPad and trying to get it to work with Serato on Windows. Seems like everyone here is on a MAC, and OSCulator is only a MAC application.

I've done every step, but once I click Midi to start mapping the iPad, nothing happens. already have Pure Data set up with my layout and Midi Yoke installed.

Can you help me........"Should have bought a MAC Book Pro"
DVDjHardy 9:48 PM - 8 August, 2010
Quote:
DVDjHardy - I'm running Touch OSC on my iPad and trying to get it to work with Serato on Windows. Seems like everyone here is on a MAC, and OSCulator is only a MAC application.

I've done every step, but once I click Midi to start mapping the iPad, nothing happens. already have Pure Data set up with my layout and Midi Yoke installed.

Can you help me........"Should have bought a MAC Book Pro"

You said...buy a Mac! lol

I'm really not sure of any myself, but you should be able to find something similar to Osculator that converts an OSC signal to a MIDI signal over wireless network. I'm sure that's where the issue lies in your set-up and that's why Serato isn't responding to anything.

I'm not familiar with Windows any more though.
TheRealDJTek 5:44 PM - 23 March, 2011
Here you finally go....

Serato on the iPad.
serato.com
sacrilicious 6:11 PM - 23 March, 2011
Between this use of Touch OSC and the Ableton binge I've been on, my roommate is going to be pretty pissed off I appropriated his iPad while he was on vacation.
TheRealDJTek 5:19 AM - 24 March, 2011
Sorry the video was deleted. Here is the re-up. youtu.be
HOHME 9:39 PM - 29 April, 2011
Hey errbody, jus put my touchosc interface up for your downloading pleasure...check it out here: serato.com