DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Finally! Serato for the iPad and it works PERFECT

TheRealDJTek 5:18 PM - 23 March, 2011
I have finally been able to interface not only Serato with the iPad but also the hardware too. As you can tell from the video, the latency is very little, less than 15ms. You have access to the full feature set of Serato and everything it has to offer, plus the amazing features of the iPad such as Zoom, Multi-Touch, Pop-Up Soft Keyboard, Landscape and Portrait mode, switch to background, and more importantly leaving you completely wire free.
I think this implementation is going to lead to an entire discussion at Serato on how to create skins that are more touch friendly for the finger. But as you can see, that doesn't slow me down at all?

Watchwww.youtube.com

I look forward to the feedback. And please don't mind me, I shot this literally around 4:30am this morning!
-Tek
@djtek / Facebook.com/djtek
E: djtek@djtekonline.com
Mike_P 5:28 PM - 23 March, 2011
Whoa
echa1945mf 5:28 PM - 23 March, 2011
nice......

one question , why do you wanna DJ with an Ipad ? dont get me wrong im not a hater i got an ipad too , seems like a waste of time , you do know they arent design to use as a DJ tools right ?
TheRealDJTek 5:35 PM - 23 March, 2011
Quote:
nice......

one question , why do you wanna DJ with an Ipad ? dont get me wrong im not a hater i got an ipad too , seems like a waste of time , you do know they arent design to use as a DJ tools right ?

I mean its not something I would probably use during my big concerts, but I am now using it in a lounge I am djing at. I can walk to the bar, and know that I can keep the music going. And truth be told, Serato's future has no choice but to head this direction. Everything is going mobile.... along with the DJ community.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:37 PM - 23 March, 2011
Quote:
nice......

I know this is for itch not SSL BUUUUTTT, look at the add pic (2nd from the left) www.pssl.com its ideal for these moile controller setups and obviously its KIINDA designed as a dj tool since traktor and pioneer are advertising them for their tools and allt he DJ apps that are created for it
TheRealDJTek 5:42 PM - 23 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I know this is for itch not SSL BUUUUTTT, look at the add pic (2nd from the left) www.pssl.com its ideal for these moile controller setups and obviously its KIINDA designed as a dj tool since traktor and pioneer are advertising them for their tools and allt he DJ apps that are created for it

That looks fresh, but what does it have to do with the iPad? That's a MacBook Pro screen behind that controller. It looks sick though, without question.
DJ DisGrace 5:44 PM - 23 March, 2011
Question...

- don't you still need a laptop hooked up to the hardware?
- you still have to crossfade the actual mixer (i.e. no dj'ing from the bar)
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:47 PM - 23 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

That looks fresh, but what does it have to do with the iPad? That's a MacBook Pro screen behind that controller. It looks sick though, without question.

i always thought it was an ipad lol
echa1945mf 5:49 PM - 23 March, 2011
well i gotta give it to you , even when im not gonna use this , but your idea is insane ... great job dude
Crackpipe 5:50 PM - 23 March, 2011
Props for the video and the direction you are taking this. I think EVENTUALLY this is what's going to happen but not with the iPad, not with the iPad 2, and not with the iPad 3 and 4. Maybe sometime in 5+ years.

There's too many limitations on tablets namely, CPU and RAM memory and storage.

Also why fuss with virtual keyboard? I need to be able to type in names of artists/songs quickly to search and a virtual keypad would just drive me crazy.

I think eventually touchscreen LAPTOPS would be dope, but fussing with a tablet isn't my cup of tea.

Again good job on the video nonetheless
DVDjHardy 5:59 PM - 23 March, 2011
You can do this with AirDisplay, which is a $10-20 app. I've messed around with it, but I prefer to use the iPad as a custom MIDI controller more rather than a tiny, wireless monitor.
TheRealDJTek 6:00 PM - 23 March, 2011
Honestly I was trying all the different Midi solutions for the iPad and I wasn't content with any of them. I'm familiar with the Serato interface, and knew there had to be a way to interface it with the iPad. I completed my mission not too long ago and I'm fine tuning it as a go. I have my brother Chris working on some optimization coding to reduce the latency, and too hopefully get this to work as a simple install package.

Quote:
Question...
- don't you still need a laptop hooked up to the hardware?
- you still have to crossfade the actual mixer (i.e. no dj'ing from the bar)

Yes, and maybe. I have another video of myself djing a 15 minute set based on hot cues, fade out loops, and effects, and its done on the ipad. It looks kind of rough, I recorded it with my other hand, but it supports the theory that you can really finesse it, if you have your music properly prepared. And the iPad has a great community that allows you to virtually interface any device to the iPad. The future for that is going to be amazing also.
BERTO 6:44 PM - 23 March, 2011
And you can bluetooth a keyboard for shortcuts....
TheRealDJTek 6:50 PM - 23 March, 2011
Quote:
And you can bluetooth a keyboard for shortcuts....

Haven't even thought to do that.... hmmm....
TheRealDJTek 7:24 PM - 23 March, 2011
Here is a re-up of the video. My engineer accidently deleted it. Watchwww.youtube.com
spicaly 7:38 PM - 23 March, 2011
pretty cool
BERTO 7:45 PM - 23 March, 2011
Dj tech utubes being weird what app are you using?
DJ P Dot 7:53 PM - 23 March, 2011
so what is the SL1/3 hooked up to exactly?
BERTO 7:54 PM - 23 March, 2011
Its a screen share app im assuming so its running of computer and screen is showing externally on ipad
BERTO 7:54 PM - 23 March, 2011
Off of***
DjWoody 7:58 PM - 23 March, 2011
That looks pretty sweet. It would be sweet if Serato made a dongle for Serato that eliminate the soundcard and made a more streamlined interface, possibly with multiple pages.
BERTO 9:19 PM - 23 March, 2011
i625.photobucket.com ipad with bluetooth keyboard on crane fits pretty good
Crackpipe 12:24 AM - 24 March, 2011
What's the point of an ipad with a bluetooth keyboard? Why wouldn't you just use a vastly more powerful robust laptop with a better keyboard?
BERTO 12:36 AM - 24 March, 2011
Quote:
What's the point of an ipad with a bluetooth keyboard? Why wouldn't you just use a vastly more powerful robust laptop with a better keyboard?

I was just saying for his scenario having a bletooth keyboard on an ipad is significantly better than a touch keyboard.... And i took the picture to show a possible setup on a dj "booth"
TheRealDJTek 5:23 AM - 24 March, 2011
Quote:
Props for the video and the direction you are taking this. I think EVENTUALLY this is what's going to happen but not with the iPad, not with the iPad 2, and not with the iPad 3 and 4. Maybe sometime in 5+ years.

There's too many limitations on tablets namely, CPU and RAM memory and storage.

Also why fuss with virtual keyboard? I need to be able to type in names of artists/songs quickly to search and a virtual keypad would just drive me crazy.

I think eventually touchscreen LAPTOPS would be dope, but fussing with a tablet isn't my cup of tea.

Thank You and I agree.

Again good job on the video nonetheless
TheRealDJTek 5:23 AM - 24 March, 2011
Oops. Lol.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:45 PM - 24 March, 2011
I am NOT mad at that vid.
DJ Super Mario 2:46 PM - 24 March, 2011
Quote:
Here is a re-up of the video. My engineer accidently deleted it. Watchwww.youtube.com

Nice hoax! The reason it was deleted is because I called you out on it...

This was my post on the YouTube page which mysteriously dissapeared...

"I'm calling bullshit. I bet you he's remoted into another computer over wifi like with RDP or VNC and Scratch Live is running on the other computer. The iPad doesn't have USB connectivity for the SL1, SL3, SL4, or TTM57. Plus I doubt the iPad's processor is supported or can run Scratch Live's code base. And as a proof of concept I just did the same thing with my iPhone to my Mac... Nice hoax though!"
Billy18bm 2:49 PM - 24 March, 2011
haha i called him out like the first day he put it up.. seriously people are dumb for believing this shit.. THINK for like two seconds...
BERTO 2:51 PM - 24 March, 2011
like i said screen share app....
DJ Super Mario 2:52 PM - 24 March, 2011
Berto... oops! I missed your post above... but yup!
BERTO 2:56 PM - 24 March, 2011
its cool to run an app like that i can see myslef organizing crates and cue point in offline mode in bed from my ipad and like i said u can ur bluetooth keyboard and suck, now if he is claiming that he is "running serato from ipad" then he's lying unless he has a hack but who would want to run with such a small amount of poreccesing power anyways... other than that i think this would be cool for music organizing around the house.
ral 3:22 PM - 24 March, 2011
he is STILL using a laptop/desktop to run scratchlive and mp3 storage.

air display will do similar trick (ipad as 2nd monitor)
BERTO 4:17 PM - 24 March, 2011
Quote:
he is STILL using a laptop/desktop to run scratchlive and mp3 storage.

air display will do similar trick (ipad as 2nd monitor)

do you have air display and how well does it work? is it glitchy? how much?
ral 4:42 PM - 24 March, 2011
yep - $10 - better refresh rate than vnc - you can load karaoke from youtube and you can track the lyrics! good enough, but not that great
skratchworx 5:05 PM - 24 March, 2011
So... what does the SL box plug into? That's right - it can only plug into a computer running Scratch Live. It's the ONLY way it will work. Unless SL boxes have built-in WIFI that nobody knows about.

A well done clever hoax nonetheless.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:41 AM - 25 March, 2011
So this is a big REMOTE CONTROL?
Marx&Villain 1:58 AM - 25 March, 2011
Quote:
So this is a big REMOTE CONTROL?

yes
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:05 AM - 25 March, 2011
Wow, Couch Potatoeism to the fullest...
echa1945mf 9:43 AM - 25 March, 2011
Quote:
Wow, Couch Potatoeism to the fullest...

LOL i was just gonna say that
TheRealDJTek 7:16 PM - 15 May, 2011
Here's another asshole video...

This time I'm in my car.

youtu.be

Serato Live in the highspeed lane. lol
DJJorel 12:38 AM - 16 May, 2011
Quote:

This time I'm in my car.

youtu.be

Still a remote desktop...but over ATT 3G or Veriszon 4GLTE. You can configure it so you can listen to remote sound...
TheRealDJTek 12:54 AM - 16 May, 2011
Quote:
Still a remote desktop...but over ATT 3G or Veriszon 4GLTE. You can configure it so you can listen to remote sound...

Whoa over 3G or 4gLTE?? People in this forum roast how "remote-in" Wifi latency is nearly impossible... Using a mobile telco network would be insanity. Yet, I'm playing in real time. Virtually 0 latency.
DJJorel 1:14 AM - 16 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Whoa over 3G or 4gLTE?? People in this forum roast how "remote-in" Wifi latency is nearly impossible... Using a mobile telco network would be insanity. Yet, I'm playing in real time. Virtually 0 latency.

I use a Verizon iPad and Jump Desktop to remote into my client's PCs and servers all the time. And it does support streaming of remote audio. Of course, you are playing out of SSL's built in player, which uses the PCs sound card. Jump Desktop will stream audio that would normally be played through your PCs sound card.

Like I said...it's just a RDP or VNC client...
DJ Super Mario 4:17 PM - 16 May, 2011
Uhm... you can still set up an ad-hoc WiFi connection between an iPad and computer... both can be IN your car at the same time... nice try...
TheRealDJTek 4:25 PM - 16 May, 2011
Quote:
Uhm... you can still set up an ad-hoc WiFi connection between an iPad and computer... both can be IN your car at the same time... nice try...

Now there's an intelligent answer. The question is why are people think I'm trying to do a magic trick. Its just a dope MP3 player. The iPad is mounted. Makes the best Navi and I use it with the iPad DashCmD OBD-II live engine readout. But when I want to play music I use the Serato app. Even render files on the fly. No trickery. Pure convience.
DJ Super Mario 4:48 PM - 16 May, 2011
Because the codebase won't run on the iPad's IOS or hardware. Fact... In this video you're only running Scratch Live in preview mode anyway... Nothing special, but if you show how you installed the app on the iPad as proof... Until then, I'm still calling BS. The other one you try to make people believe it's running in full performance mode, (dual deck, etc.) The iPad has NO USB... No way to connect the interface... soooooo.....
DJ'Que 6:52 PM - 16 May, 2011
Lmao show us full mode serato in your car. Since you can do it at home.
Chris Deluxe 7:02 PM - 16 May, 2011
Some guys just don't get what he did... There is nothing impossible happening here! See it as some sort of remote desktop, the SL box is connected to his laptop/PC/whatever.

Please make a vid of full Serato in your car so we can stop this needles discussion.
DCD 7:21 PM - 16 May, 2011
It took me a while to realize he was saying that he was running Serato just on the iPad without a computer. This entire time I was just thinking he was streaming a a screen to his iPad.
DJ Super Mario 7:26 PM - 16 May, 2011
At the very least STARTING the Scratch Live application and NOT a remote session. I might believe it then... :)
ancientyouth 9:34 PM - 16 May, 2011
Quote:

This time I'm in my car.

youtu.be

Please let me know the next time you do this so i can be sure to not be on the road...lol at the dude djing and filming and driving at once, and i thought talking on a cell phone was bad!!!
dj pesh 9:42 PM - 16 May, 2011
The Scratch Live being used on the ipad is windows based.... look at where the exit X button is
dj pesh 9:44 PM - 16 May, 2011
even if this is a remote desktop application i would like to use it. My laptop is set to the side of me but i cannot put my laptop in front because its not safe.
TheRealDJTek 6:00 PM - 20 May, 2011
Quote:
even if this is a remote desktop application i would like to use it. My laptop is set to the side of me but i cannot put my laptop in front because its not safe.

I use both when I DJ. Dope if you are at a relaxed event or doing a art gallery... rock the event while drinking wine.

I even shot a video at a huge club out my way and I was on the dance floor DJing with the iPad in my hand. It's nothing revolutionary, but I'm mastering the device in this manner.
TheRealDJTek 6:05 PM - 20 May, 2011
Quote:

Please make a vid of full Serato in your car so we can stop this needles discussion.

Pause. You want me to set up my CDJ2000s + my Pioneer mixer up in my car just so you can see it in full mode? lol... That's a OverDose mission there. I have plenty of videos of myself DJing with the iPad effortlessly. And it's amazing. I'm simply using it in my car since I already have an iPad mounted in there. All my crates are setup and i don't have to burn CD's or MP3s... play it straight from what I am familiar with.

Like its been said... this isn't movie magic.
Chris Deluxe 6:22 PM - 20 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Pause. You want me to set up my CDJ2000s + my Pioneer mixer up in my car just so you can see it in full mode?

Lol, that wasn't really what i meant, but i like that idea.. Please do that.

www.stevebaker.info
roxfield 1:09 PM - 13 August, 2011
hey,
is it possible to use serato & touch osc without wifi ...
ill mean like camera connection kit or alesis i/o dock ?
djfaq 11:21 PM - 18 October, 2011
Oh common, this is totally lame, its Airplay App...
Lalito 8:10 AM - 28 December, 2011
Could you explain to me what does
"the latency is very little, less than 15ms"
means?

Thanks
aireyc 8:49 AM - 28 December, 2011
Latency is basically the response time. If there's low latency, the time it takes the program to respond to your commands will be near-instantaneous. Latency over things like networks is usually measured in milliseconds, so he's saying the time it takes from you issuing a command to receiving a response is less than 15 milliseconds, or 15/1000 of a second.
Lalito 4:36 AM - 29 December, 2011
So I under star that's good, right?

Maybe you can help me with this problem, I have an iPad and I want to star mixing using TOUCH OSC but I don'd know if I gotta have turntables.
I downloaded Serato live but it won't show the 2 turntables.
I haven't downloaded Touch OSC yet but it looks weird to me not to see the 2 turntables.

Thanks
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:33 AM - 29 December, 2011
I use the SplashTop app to the same thing.
todordj1 6:59 PM - 12 May, 2013
How to install Serato DJ on iPad4
AKIEM 7:05 PM - 12 May, 2013
Hi
BERTO 9:18 PM - 12 May, 2013
:)
todordj1 9:30 PM - 12 May, 2013
is there someone who can tell me a?
DJRemixEnt 9:57 PM - 12 May, 2013
Quote:

how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?
Funkytownstopsix 1:57 PM - 13 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?

Now that's nasty
JimmyJAMsf 10:56 AM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:
I have finally been able to interface not only Serato with the iPad but also the hardware too. As you can tell from the video, the latency is very little, less than 15ms. You have access to the full feature set of Serato and everything it has to offer, plus the amazing features of the iPad such as Zoom, Multi-Touch, Pop-Up Soft Keyboard, Landscape and Portrait mode, switch to background, and more importantly leaving you completely wire free.
As a long time Musician and IT Consultant recently turned DJ I applaud your work. Words upon words regarding tools have been exchanged for centuries. Keep doing what you're doing!! It's all about facilitating creation!!!

I think this implementation is going to lead to an entire discussion at Serato on how to create skins that are more touch friendly for the finger. But as you can see, that doesn't slow me down at all?

Watchwww.youtube.com

I look forward to the feedback. And please don't mind me, I shot this literally around 4:30am this morning!
-Tek
@djtek / Facebook.com/djtek
E: djtek@djtekonline.com
JimmyJAMsf 10:59 AM - 12 November, 2015
^^^ Annnnd no edit feature... #FirstPostDontCare
Seeh 8:27 AM - 29 April, 2017
I wondered how the ipad works with serato dj (just a controller?)
Basically I just want to know......if instead of using my mac at home I could take use my ipad instead for the crates etc.
The reason is for using my ipad like a laptop so I can become portable using.my pT 01 scratch....hence no need for plugs etc.
The only thing that would confuse me is how the serato box would connect to the ipad (via usb, so this tells me its a no go)
If by anychance you can use ipad, can I use my mac version of serato dj or would I need a seperate ipad version...