Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

denon dn-hc1000s.....scroll problem when mapping to new midi channel

Product
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
pdidy 12:27 AM - 14 November, 2009
i have the denon dn-hc1000s and im having a scroll problem when map to a new midi channel (2-4). when i map the up and down scroll to the center select knob, im able to scroll down with no problem but when i scroll up the orange selection line jumps to the top of the list (first track). im having no problems reassigning any of the other midi controls.

My other issue is when i reassign the midi controls to a new channel(2-4) on laptop (A), these settings are not stored to the denon dn-hc1000s for use in loptop (B). So when i connect to a new laptop the midi channel appears blank. is this normal or am i doing something wrong? thanks for any help.
pdidy 10:25 PM - 14 November, 2009
bump
WarpNote 12:11 AM - 16 November, 2009
Quote:
My other issue is when i reassign the midi controls to a new channel(2-4) on laptop (A), these settings are not stored to the denon dn-hc1000s for use in loptop (B). So when i connect to a new laptop the midi channel appears blank. is this normal or am i doing something wrong? thanks for any help.

Midi presets for channel 2-4 are saved to an XML file on your laptop.
Actually you should save this manually, inside SSL: setup>midi while SL/TTM unit is connected. The XML file will reside in your ScratchLIVE folder (Subfolder "MIDI") on the laptop's internal drive (the "music" folder on OSX, "My Music" on windows..) You can copy this xml file to laptop B, or you can reassign laptop B the same way you did laptop A....
Dj BuddyLove 12:54 AM - 16 November, 2009
im curious??
when i do pick up one of these denon's (wonder if its possible?) to use a stanton Dascratch & the denon at thhe same time??
they both rely on xml files??
how would i do this??
Dj BuddyLove 12:55 AM - 16 November, 2009
ohh wondering because i have a stanton now.
3:22 AM, 16 Nov 2009
Discussion moved to Scratch Live Help
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:41 AM - 16 November, 2009
Hi pdidy,

Quote:
when i map the up and down scroll to the center select knob, im able to scroll down with no problem but when i scroll up the orange selection line jumps to the top of the list (first track).

When assigning the rotary knobs on the DN-HC1000S to functions in Scratch Live make sure the MIDI data type is set to relative on/off [to do this click the desired MIDI control, turn the rotary knob then press the C key to select the MIDI data type]
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:42 AM - 16 November, 2009
Hey Dj BuddyLove,

Quote:
when i do pick up one of these denon's (wonder if its possible?) to use a stanton Dascratch & the denon at thhe same time??

Yes you can use both at the same time as long as there is no MIDI control note clash (if both controllers are sending the same MIDI note).
Dj BuddyLove 4:56 AM - 16 November, 2009
Quote:
Hey Dj BuddyLove,

Quote:

Yes you can use both at the same time as long as there is no MIDI control note clash (if both controllers are sending the same MIDI note).

thanks Michael R,
good to know..because i wanted to use the Stanton to mostly for the sp6 & some loop funtions & use the denon for pretty much the rest..

thanks agian.
Dj BuddyLove 4:58 AM - 16 November, 2009
Btw..
how would i do that??
because i know once i go into scratch Live's Midi menu i have to click on a xml file & load it..
how would i load 2 seperate xml files..??
Dj BuddyLove 5:04 AM - 16 November, 2009
oops..
sorry for the thread jack..
i apologize
pdidy 7:22 AM - 16 November, 2009
WarpNote
Quote:
Quote:

Midi presets for channel 2-4 are saved to an XML file on your laptop.
Actually you should save this manually, inside SSL: setup>midi while SL/TTM unit is connected. The XML file will reside in your ScratchLIVE folder (Subfolder "MIDI") on the laptop's internal drive (the "music" folder on OSX, "My Music" on windows..) You can copy this xml file to laptop B, or you can reassign laptop B the same way you did laptop A....

Quote:
Hi pdidy,

Quote:
when i map the up and down scroll to the center select knob, im able to scroll down with no problem but when i scroll up the orange selection line jumps to the top of the list (first track).

When assigning the rotary knobs on the DN-HC1000S to functions in Scratch Live make sure the MIDI data type is set to relative on/off [to do this click the desired MIDI control, turn the rotary knob then press the C key to select the MIDI data type]

thanks for the help everybody.......an its cool Dj BuddyLove , i would like to no this too.
pdidy 8:09 AM - 16 November, 2009
Quote:
Hi pdidy,

Quote:

i still having a problem mapping the file select knob to scroll like it does on channel 1. i set the MIDI data type to relative on/off but its still not functioning properly. i even tried the other midi data type but no good. i must be doing something wrong.
WarpNote 11:17 AM - 16 November, 2009
Quote:
Hey Dj BuddyLove,

Quote:

I'm betting, Once you get the Denon, you'll most likely use it for both loops and sample triggering. But an extra midi controller, ie especially fader sliders and twist knobs (no misquote ;)) can be nice to control stuff like the sample volume, sample pitch, maybe output channel, instant doubling to and from sampler etc.
Also remember, the Denon has 3 ekstra midi pages (ie banks) for mapping stuff like you normally would on your Stanton

Quote:
Btw..
how would i do that??
because i know once i go into scratch Live's Midi menu i have to click on a xml file & load it..

Basically, you would probably need to start building one xml from scratch, covering both the Denon and the Stanton. I found that I had to rename my previous xml files (into .old) for my Akai MPD in order to have the Denon work properly (mostly the lights). Renaming the extention makes sure SSL don't read those files at start up, if you ever need them, just rename back to .xml

I'm asuming SSL/HC1000S "wants" to start on a "clean slate". I have'nt yet tried both my MPD24 with the Denon, theres only 2 USB ports on my Mac, and cant be bothered to hook up a USB hub, at least not for now...

Also, pdidy & BuddyLove, I put some info in this help thread... -> serato.com
Dj BuddyLove 4:08 PM - 16 November, 2009
^^hummm???
thanks WarpNote but thers gotta be abe a better sulution...im slow
lol
WarpNote 4:40 PM - 16 November, 2009
Quote:
^^hummm???
thanks WarpNote but thers gotta be abe a better sulution...im slow
lol

Might be able to rename the orginal .xml to .old, create a few mappings from scratch, save the new preset in serato, Then open both files in a texteditor and past in the codes from the old one...

Still, Im guessing its waaays easier to just remap everything from the start. Would make sense anyway, as you probably will change your workflow once getting the Denon...

Also I actually like that there's no option to read multiple midi presets, Im guessing that would open for quite a few conflict issues...

If it aint broke, dont fix it ;-)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:59 AM - 17 November, 2009
Hey pdidy,

Quote:
i still having a problem mapping the file select knob to scroll like it does on channel 1. i set the MIDI data type to relative on/off but its still not functioning properly. i even tried the other midi data type but no good.

Can you please tell me:
Which function in Scratch Live you are assigning to the knob?
Which MIDI channel on the DN-HC1000S are you using?
Which version of Scratch Live are you using?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:03 AM - 17 November, 2009
Hey Dj BuddyLove,
Quote:
how would i do that??

It's all saved to the same xml preset. Scratch Live doesn't care which MIDI controller you have connected, it simply assigns a function to a MIDI note value. If you connect another controller that sends the same MIDI note it will trigger the same function.
pdidy 10:46 AM - 17 November, 2009
Quote:
Hey pdidy,

Quote:
i still having a problem mapping the file select knob to scroll like it does on channel 1. i set the MIDI data type to relative on/off but its still not functioning properly. i even tried the other midi data type but no good.

Can you please tell me:
Which function in Scratch Live you are assigning to the knob?
Which MIDI channel on the DN-HC1000S are you using?
Which version of Scratch Live are you using?

1. the file select knob is assigned up and down scroll. i would like it to work the same as channel 1 default.

2. channel 4

pdidy 10:51 AM - 17 November, 2009
i've also tried deleting and renaming the xml file.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 12:48 AM - 18 November, 2009
Hey pdidy,

I'm able to reproduce the problem you are having, it's due to a bug in Scratch Live and only happens when MIDI assigning the library scroll function. We'll have a fix for this in a future release of Scratch Live. Thanks for alerting us to the problem :)
pdidy 4:08 AM - 18 November, 2009
ah sh*t i found a bug!..... dang how long for the fix?........thanks for working with me to find the problem doe.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:25 AM - 18 November, 2009
No idea sorry, we don't have a release date yet for the next version of Scratch Live :(
WarpNote 7:05 AM - 8 December, 2009
Cant believe Ive been following this thread and ignoring the main part of it:
Quote:
i have the denon dn-hc1000s and im having a scroll problem when map to a new midi channel (2-4). when i map the up and down scroll to the center select knob, im able to scroll down with no problem but when i scroll up the orange selection line jumps to the top of the list (first track). im having no problems reassigning any of the other midi controls

But, yeah, ran into the same but this weekend...
MISZOU 6:31 PM - 17 January, 2010
Hi

I get my Denon on Friday, I had the same Problem with the "File Select" knob.
If you want to use it in another channel (for the file select function) you have to add following line in your .xml file
n=channel 2, 3 or 4.

<Control name="Scroll Library Knob" channel="n" event_type="Control Change" data_type="Relative OnOff" control="84" />

Greetings MISZOU

P.S.: Does anybody knows if its possible to find all of the "Control name" which are available in Serato, i would prefer to map the Denon with an text editor.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:51 AM - 19 January, 2010
Hey MISZOU,

Thanks for the tip :)

Quote:
Does anybody knows if its possible to find all of the "Control name" which are available in Serato

We don't have a list of these available sorry!
pdidy 10:04 PM - 20 January, 2010
Quote:
Hi

I get my Denon on Friday, I had the same Problem with the "File Select" knob.
If you want to use it in another channel (for the file select function) you have to add following line in your .xml file
n=channel 2, 3 or 4.

<Control name="Scroll Library Knob" channel="n" event_type="Control Change" data_type="Relative OnOff" control="84" />

Greetings MISZOU

i havnt had a chance to try this yet....anyone no if it works?

P.S.: Does anybody knows if its possible to find all of the "Control name" which are available in Serato, i would prefer to map the Denon with an text editor.
pdidy 7:32 PM - 30 May, 2010
i tried it......did not work. do we have a fix yet?
MISZOU 5:13 AM - 31 May, 2010
Hi

I tried it in 2.0.49 there this doesn ' t work any more. If you want do assign only one Knob from the midi map 2,3 or 4 you can assign it directly in SSL with hiting the midi button.

Grettings MISZOU
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 5:29 AM - 31 May, 2010
Hey pdidy,

The issue you reported was fixed in Scratch Live 2.0 (20049), which you can get here -> www.serato.com (click link). When you assign a knob to the library scroll function, make sure you change the MIDI data type to Relative On/Off.
pdidy 5:17 PM - 31 May, 2010
Quote:
Hi

I tried it in 2.0.49 there this doesn ' t work any more. If you want do assign only one Knob from the midi map 2,3 or 4 you can assign it directly in SSL with hiting the midi button.

Grettings MISZOU
i dont quite understand u.
pdidy 6:06 PM - 31 May, 2010
ok i got it thanks.......