Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Loud ‘alarm type’ sound in Serato DJ

Mz. Deluxx 5:06 AM - 8 February, 2019
Hello all -

I’ve have a great track record with Serato DJ. I’ve used multiple controllers (Pioneer SB1,2,3, SR, SR2, Denon MX7000). I’ve NEVER had an issue. I’m using a MacBook with these specs: MacBook Pro 2011 - 2.3 ghz i5 - 8gb memory - Yosemite. I gig regularly. A couple of weeks ago, I was playing a set - of course to a packed house. About an hour into it, a VERY LOUD alarm-type sound (ear piercing) comes through all of the speakers. Now originally I thought it was the clubs fire alarm (it was very hot inside of the venue) - that’s what the noise sounded like. But it was coming through the speakers. I disconnected everything from the house system (which I was connected into a mixer) and still heard it (so I thought) - later I realized the sound was still coming from my headphones, so it was definitely my controller. The club searched high and low and ruled out that it was their system. I shut down Serato and restarted everything and started playing with my controller again. Another 15 minutes goes by and it happens AGAIN. I check all the gains and keep the music low just to make sure there wasn’t some sort of interference with sound peaking. And after a couple more resets, I can’t get it to stop (consistently). I finished out the gig playing a mix through iTunes without hooking up the controller at all. This was something I had never encountered before in my history of using Serato DJ. When I got home I tried to replicate the issue - I actually updated Serato DJ to 2.1.0 (I was using the previous version during the gig), and switched USB cords just to be safe. I haven’t had any issues while playing at home. I have a double gig coming up on Saturday and although things seem fine while testing at home, I now have PTSD from the situation at my last gig. Has anybody ever had this issue? I’ve been stalking the internet trying to find a similar case - but the closest I got was somebody had an issue with their fx causing distortion or interference giving off an ‘alarm type’ sound. So I’ll be mindful of that. If anybody has had a LOUD PIERCING alarm - type sound occur in the middle of a set with Serato DJ/ Pioneer SR2 (or other controllers) please let me know so I don’t continue to feel crazy. Even with all the mains and faders turned down if you crank up the headphone you still hear it! I’m stumped! I just don’t want it to happen again! Hopefully I just needed the update. Let me know thanks!
DjSyndic8 5:59 AM - 8 February, 2019
one result through search could be your effects heres more info
serato.com
DJ Tecniq 9:23 AM - 8 February, 2019
Did you happen to have the ac adapter connected while using the SR2? I have heard of this happening and someone mentioned a bad power supply. If you weren’t using the power adapter then that idea is ruled out.
DJ Tecniq 9:29 AM - 8 February, 2019
I had a similar occurrence except it was massive audio distortion while playing however I was outside in the heat so it could of been my computer from heat exposure. The thing we have in common is I was using Yosemite at the time. I have since updated my laptop to Sierra cause at first i thought it was the OS and the SR2 as not being compatible cause the SR2 came out way after Yosemite which is an old OS.
Dj matty k 9:57 PM - 8 February, 2019
We’re yoh using unbalanced outputs from the controller as in rca ?
DJ Tecniq 10:14 PM - 8 February, 2019
Quote:
We’re yoh using unbalanced outputs from the controller as in rca ?
Not sure if you're talking to me or him. But I always use my XLR master regardless and they were high quality Mogami cables.
djbuggy 2:53 AM - 4 November, 2019
Having the same issue, have u resolved this? If so how? I’m using the ddjsx3 and that has been my issue now twice and 2 different outdoor venues. Could it be a power supply issue?
DJ Tecniq 9:39 PM - 4 November, 2019
Quote:
Having the same issue, have u resolved this? If so how? I’m using the ddjsx3 and that has been my issue now twice and 2 different outdoor venues. Could it be a power supply issue?
sx3 has long since been recalled have you made sure your unit is not faulty?
djbuggy 4:56 PM - 5 November, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
sx3 has long since been recalled have you made sure your unit is not faulty?

Its a newer unit. less then 6 months old
joe2037 5:40 PM - 8 November, 2019
Did it sound like this? Watchwww.youtube.com

Were you using Serato control CD's? That's what they sound like when you listen to the audio track of them.
djbuggy 5:57 PM - 8 November, 2019
No it’s a controller and I know what the control tone sounds like
Ziggity 5:48 PM - 10 March, 2020
I just recently had the beeping happen to me on my DDJ SX3. I've owned it for over a year and it's never happened before.
I had a ceremony playlist going via RCA and it would turn the music off and give a warning beep. It happened twice so I decided to restart the controller. I thought maybe overheating but I was in shaded area outside.

I have a feeling it was due to insufficient power since I added a leeko light to my setup for this gig and I was pulling from one outlet.

I unplugged the leeko fixture while at the same time restarting the controller so I don't know for sure but the problem never came back and I never plugged the fixture back in all night.
vboyd666 9:38 PM - 11 March, 2020
Quote:
I just recently had the beeping happen to me on my DDJ SX3. I've owned it for over a year and it's never happened before.
I had a ceremony playlist going via RCA and it would turn the music off and give a warning beep. It happened twice so I decided to restart the controller. I thought maybe overheating but I was in shaded area outside.

I have a feeling it was due to insufficient power since I added a leeko light to my setup for this gig and I was pulling from one outlet.

I unplugged the leeko fixture while at the same time restarting the controller so I don't know for sure but the problem never came back and I never plugged the fixture back in all night.

Same happened to me. Except it was about 10 times in a 4 hour set. I sent it to Pioneer. They've had it for 3 Months already.
vboyd666 9:42 PM - 11 March, 2020
Original Thread on the subject:

serato.com
emiliano65@hotmail.com 6:16 AM - 18 March, 2020
I had a similiar problem like this awhile back. My library was too big. I had around 50,000 songs. It took me a few months to decrease my library to about 25,000 songs. But as soon as I did that the problem has no longer happens. Not sure if you have the same issue as mine, but thought to share the info. Good luck.