Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DDJ-SX3 Controller Crash

mrLofficial 12:35 PM - 30 December, 2019
I use this controller regularly as i do alot of corporate / private events that works great logistically.

On a few occasions (too many that is causing serious concern and anxiety before and during sets), whilst using the Pioneer DDJ-SX3 controller the sound randomly completely trips and cuts out. Everything is still going on the laptop screen, but the controller seems to crash as pressing any of the buttons does not work and it takes for me to turn off and on the power on the controller to restore working order.

I also have the smaller DDJ-SR model and have never exeperienced of the sort.

On one occasion this happened 3 times as i had a vocalist adlibbing on my set and we realised it was cutting as she was trying to go live on instagram.
Refraining from doing that again seemed to make eveything fine.
The other incidents it has happened is when 2 laptops are connected at the same time (the dominant reason i purchased the SX3 as it allows) unsure if this may be a cause or not.

I just cannot understand the correlation between the use of instagram live or any live internet feed and 2 laptops connected simultaneously.

Its a mystery that is compromising the profressionalism in my work and would like to know if any one has experienced this or even better explain what exactly is happening?
raedonquan 4:28 PM - 30 December, 2019
please give some more information on the computers you are using... be specific in all the details... and the computers operating system
mrLofficial 7:22 PM - 31 December, 2019
Indeed,

I am working with a 2015 Macbook Pro
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB graphics.
mrLofficial 7:43 PM - 31 December, 2019
also i must add that the operating system currently installed is the Mojave.
DJ Tecniq 8:39 PM - 31 December, 2019
Make sure your SX3 isn’t one of the recalled units if not then it could possibly still be faulty.
vboyd666 10:29 PM - 2 January, 2020
My SX3 is in getting serviced as I had a similar thing happen to me. It would be playing as normal then the music would cut, 2 tones would emit from the speakers (one slow, then one fast), then an audible pop (as if someone unplugged the cable), then no sound for about 3 seconds, then the music would come back playing where it was as if nothing happened. During that time the Serato on the laptop would operate as normal as if nothing was wrong. The controller LED's were frozen at the point just before the 2-tones and no play or cue buttons or any buttons would work. This happened over 10 times in a 4-hour performance as well as 3-times within 3-Minutes (during one song). Also, one of the times the music didn't come back at all and I had to power down the controller and power it back up.

I've had the controller for 6-months now and gig out 2-3 times per week and have never had an issue until the last one that I did with it (mid December).
vboyd666 10:56 PM - 2 January, 2020
Also, the SX3 has a black dot by the barcode. My Mac is running 10.10 and I always have the latest firmware on the SX3 and latest Serato DJ Pro on the laptop.
mrLofficial 11:19 PM - 4 January, 2020
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM EXPERIENCING.

So its most likely my controller are one of's that were recalled??

Quote:
My SX3 is in getting serviced as I had a similar thing happen to me. It would be playing as normal then the music would cut, 2 tones would emit from the speakers (one slow, then one fast), then an audible pop (as if someone unplugged the cable), then no sound for about 3 seconds, then the music would come back playing where it was as if nothing happened. During that time the Serato on the laptop would operate as normal as if nothing was wrong. The controller LED's were frozen at the point just before the 2-tones and no play or cue buttons or any buttons would work. This happened over 10 times in a 4-hour performance as well as 3-times within 3-Minutes (during one song). Also, one of the times the music didn't come back at all and I had to power down the controller and power it back up.

I've had the controller for 6-months now and gig out 2-3 times per week and have never had an issue until the last one that I did with it (mid December).
vboyd666 9:42 PM - 9 January, 2020
From what I understand Pioneer didn't actually issue a recall. They have issued a Service Bulletin stating that if you do not have a black dot by your serial number then your controller may be affected and to send in for service.

To me this means that if it does have a black dot, then then controller is suppose to be ok. Clearly your and mine are not.

Quote:
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM EXPERIENCING.

So its most likely my controller are one of's that were recalled??
DJ Tecniq 7:20 AM - 10 January, 2020
Quote:
From what I understand Pioneer didn't actually issue a recall. They have issued a Service Bulletin stating that if you do not have a black dot by your serial number then your controller may be affected and to send in for service.

To me this means that if it does have a black dot, then then controller is suppose to be ok. Clearly your and mine are not
Not entirely true defects can come from any gear I have heard reports of users getting their sx3 serviced and fixed and then still having problems with it. And a recall is a recall it was clearly stated on their website.
DJ Tecniq 7:24 AM - 10 January, 2020
I believe they got the units mixed up and didn’t know which ones were affected. There were tons of issues with the S9 as well. Bad quality control is what it is even though they have denied it. If a hardware unit has to get replaced of free repair you might as well call it a recall🤷🏼‍♂️