Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Recording your sets with Serato DJ

9:48 PM, 30 Nov 2017
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
sector92 9:34 PM - 4 December, 2017
It should also be noted that Serato will only record in 3 hour blocks, for some mysterious reason. Most of my gigs 4+ hours and often, at the end of the night, I will forget to save the second audio file that was created after I exceeded the 3 hour threshold. It would be nice if Serato could remove that 3 hour limit and continuing recording to 1 files until I close Serato.
DJ BD 10:16 PM - 4 December, 2017
+1
Quote:
It should also be noted that Serato will only record in 3 hour blocks, for some mysterious reason. Most of my gigs 4+ hours and often, at the end of the night, I will forget to save the second audio file that was created after I exceeded the 3 hour threshold. It would be nice if Serato could remove that 3 hour limit and continuing recording to 1 files until I close Serato.
FunkFerret 10:29 PM - 4 December, 2017
Will we ever be able to record separate channels individually again, similar to what was available in the bridge?
cyrustheVirus 10:43 PM - 4 December, 2017
I don't know if this is still an ongoing issue or if it is done on purpose but if you are using songs on Pulse, the recording feature is disabled.
TimHenri 12:29 AM - 5 December, 2017
Hey!
at this moment Serato DJ will not let you record with the "mix" option with Pioneer DJM-900 nexus in HID mode, it works only with the Pioneer DJM-900NXS2, why is that? The mix option don't even appear, just cannel 1-4. Is this a bug?
Serato, Support
Jordan L 1:08 AM - 5 December, 2017
Quote:
Will we ever be able to record separate channels individually again, similar to what was available in the bridge?

No multi-track recording as you're suggesting is planned, but I agree that'd be super dope.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 1:09 AM - 5 December, 2017
Quote:
I don't know if this is still an ongoing issue or if it is done on purpose but if you are using songs on Pulse, the recording feature is disabled.

That is part of the licensing agreement with Pulselocker. Also, Pulselocker will no longer be supported full stop.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 1:10 AM - 5 December, 2017
Quote:
Hey!
at this moment Serato DJ will not let you record with the "mix" option with Pioneer DJM-900 nexus in HID mode, it works only with the Pioneer DJM-900NXS2, why is that? The mix option don't even appear, just cannel 1-4. Is this a bug?

Hey,

Check this out :) support.serato.com

Cheers
TimHenri 2:32 AM - 5 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Hey!

Hey,

Check this out :) support.serato.com

Cheers

Thanks a million, it works like a charm!
All the best! /Tim
4ndrw 11:45 AM - 5 December, 2017
"will be erased as soon as you press REC again." This is so frustrating!
I've lost sets from this so many times :'(

Packed down too quickly and haven't named and hit save and then played another set on another stage at the same event.... the first (in this case a main stage) set gets overwritten.

I had serato crash during an important gig recently, wasn't a big deal, opened it again and picked up where I left off. however, hitting record for the second half overwrote the first half. I didn't have time to open up the default recording location, find the temp recording, rename it or move it to another file location and then continue the set.

I'd rather the files just go the recording folder and by default have a time/date stamp in the file name.
4ndrw 11:46 AM - 5 December, 2017
Surely I'm not the only one who's had this happen?

I'm pretty sure Traktor just time and date stamps the recordings (could be wrong, it's been years since I've played around with it)
4ndrw 11:53 AM - 5 December, 2017
Another thing I've found with recordings, is that the quality seems much lower than the original tracks.

I've started using Ozone on it to bring up the level without clipping etc.
And that's improved things a bit for me.

There definitely isn't clipping in the original file, but I find that if I'm doing an edit afterwards in Ableton and need to bring in a portion of the original song, the original always sounds better (even after I account for difference in volume).

eg. it's common for me to forget to hit record till part way into the first song, so I'll stitch in the beginning of it later.

When I do this, the raw song sounds so much better!
(with or without added mastering and with the perceived volumes adjusted so they match)

Can you think of anything I'm doing wrong?
(ie. is there hidden audio settings I should be playing with?)

I'm confident in my gain staging, I'm not clipping anywhere inside Serato (which would be the most common way to degrade audio quality) but I'm not keeping it in the really low green area and then trying to boost it a ridiculous amount.

I can record some A/B files if that helps?

Is this a common experience?

Is the mix being lower quality just a thing that's considered "good enough" and not something I should stress over?

Or is this just a weird bug with my setup?
beatdoctor1 4:07 AM - 6 December, 2017
A long read here, so thx in advance!

My 3-part question for recording VJ sets...
1) Can MixE be used to record the sets vs. having to have Serato Video?
2) If it can, is there a way to record sets as an audio file in order to save space and work load on the MacBP?
3) If MixE is not compatible for recording and I purchase Serato Video, would recording the sets just as an audio file mix be an option (same as I was asking about MixE)? (I'd want to record my video program once in a while but would mostly like to have audio files of my live mixed sets).

I have many preferences and reasons (maybe excuses to some) for not switching from Scratch Live to Serato DJ. BUT, RECORDING my sets would be one great (and slightly long overdue) reason I'd have to make the move. I've been programming an average of 3 nights per week (4 to 6 hour sets) for 17 years straight. Sure, I've made a few dozen mixes with my gear at home, but I've only ever recorded about a ten of my "Live club programs" and that's kind of a big downer considering how many hundreds of nights with sick-a*s-packed dance floors.

Having to haul my older gear to the clubs since 10/ 2015 is mainly why I'm still a Scratch Live user... (along with a reluctance to invite update failure-bugs and/or other issues for my MBP). *pre-emptive knock on wood...I've had Scratch Live crash three times out of my last 350-ish sets from 10/ 2015 thru 11/ 2017.
(2011 "17 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 1TB 4GBram/ Yosemite 10.10.3 / iTunes 12.1.2. / Mix E 3.0.2 / 2xCDJ-900's / 2xStanton STR8-150's / Rane MP24z / Denon DN-X800/ SL3).

_stay solid & happy holidays🎧
Rockalot 7:08 PM - 11 December, 2017
+1
Quote:
Rockalot 7:11 PM - 11 December, 2017
Maybe a dumb question but does recording effect PC performance in any way?
I haven't recorded live sets for fear of using too much computer resources.
I do have lots of RAM and drive space.
david07 9:41 PM - 12 December, 2017
knob to maximum rec and does not saturate, use sl3
Rockalot 12:05 AM - 13 December, 2017
can't do that, I don't have a sl3

Quote:
knob to maximum rec and does not saturate, use sl3
david07 12:15 AM - 13 December, 2017
I only adjust the gain of the mixer and ready
ZAY LONDON 2:49 AM - 13 December, 2017
Are we ever gonna see serato take the VDJ section of the app to a next level? They havent done no updates in this part for awhile so find myself in conflict about going to try another software regular.
DJ OTA 12:13 AM - 24 December, 2017
I use a pioneer ddj-sz and can't seem to change the level of gain on my mix when recording. Any help guys?!

Cheers
david07 4:53 PM - 24 December, 2017
Quote:
I use a pioneer ddj-sz and can't seem to change the level of gain on my mix when recording. Any help guys?!

Cheers

so that you can change the volume of the recording while you mix, that adjusts the gain of the controller or the mixer and you do not play anymore, you have to do different checks and go testing and see that it does not saturate the signal, no.tie
a.berre_ny 12:31 PM - 3 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

No multi-track recording as you're suggesting is planned, but I agree that'd be super dope.

multi-track recording would be an awesome feature to have.
Andrewwwwwww 3:51 PM - 21 May, 2018
WTF SERATO! CANT MAKE A MIX GREATER THAN 2 HOURS WITH HIGH QUALITY? PATHETIC! FOR WHAT PURPOSE?
Axel Fade 11:30 PM - 19 January, 2019
i cant find on serato dj lite how can i recod my set , i just bought a ddj sb 3 and start again with it but i cant find out the scame with recording . Can someone help me with this? Please
Regard!
david07 12:52 PM - 20 January, 2019
En serato dj lite no está la opción de grabar,hay que comprar la licencia
david07 12:54 PM - 20 January, 2019
in serato dj lite is not the option to record, it is a reduced version
Axel Fade 12:58 PM - 20 January, 2019
😔😓😭 whyyy😩
I mean really Pioneer , really😐 was it too expensive feature
Oshh forgot it .
Axel Fade 1:00 PM - 20 January, 2019
Thank you david !
I think i sont have any other option recors my set . Excluding recording with a camera.🤨🤣🙄 Which actually It's Not So Bad but...
david07 1:09 PM - 20 January, 2019
Audacity sofware
Axel Fade 1:15 PM - 20 January, 2019
Oh thank you so much David thank you so much for your help I wish you have a great nice evening and many cool set
david07 1:28 PM - 20 January, 2019
Ok