Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Macbook with Touchbar

DJGAVT 12:41 PM - 13 October, 2017
Hello

I am looking at getting a new Macbook pro with a touchbar are they working with serato yet? I know there was an issue when they came out and I can't find anything about them working??

Thanks
DJGreatness 12:50 PM - 13 October, 2017
It works but there are a couple of issues with it.....like one you can't be on Wifi while serato is open. If you unplug the cable you have to restart your computer in order for serato to work again been waiting for a update for this for months.....serato your taking way to long to fix these issues!!!!!!
monkeyfunk 3:05 PM - 13 October, 2017
Yep, just spent time on the phone with Apple.

They seem to place it squarely in Serato's court.

What's the solution ?
DJ Tecniq 5:41 PM - 13 October, 2017
Quote:
What's the solution ?
Don't buy a touchbar MacđŸ€·đŸŒâ€â™‚ïž
popnwave 6:10 PM - 13 October, 2017
Get a pimped out 2015!
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:12 PM - 13 October, 2017
Quote:
Yep, just spent time on the phone with Apple.

They seem to place it squarely in Serato's court.

What's the solution ?

Switch to a dj software that works on it
popnwave 6:14 PM - 13 October, 2017
Quote:

Switch to a dj software that works on it

What's freaky is that the 2017s are looking to have legit problems..

Quote:

PSA: Some people are reporting issues with the 2017 MacBook Pro having interference issues with USB-C & WiFi on the left side of their computer. The only work around currently is plugging your USB-C devices on the right side. It has something to do with the hertz frequency. Some of us older guys will remember issues with the iSight camera sharing power with one USB port on really old MacBook Pro's. It would cause drop outs.
monkeyfunk 8:58 PM - 13 October, 2017
That’s interesting. And shit.
monkeyfunk 9:13 PM - 13 October, 2017
Nah just tried that same problem.
DJ Baby Boy 9:20 PM - 13 October, 2017
The only problem that I've had is the hot plugging issue but only seem to have it on the Rane 62 and DJM S9 ... I run Wifi all night and connect to my OWC USB-C Dock on the left side with my power and have no issues ... I haven't had a single issue other than the hot plugging and I run the hell out of mine with SDJ 1.9.6 MixEmergency 3.1.1 and Arena 5.1.4 every night I DJ including here at home just to keep constantly testing ... I'm running the 2017 15" w/touchbar 3.1i7 16gb ram 4gb AMD 560 pro & 1TB SSD
monkeyfunk 9:30 PM - 13 October, 2017
I’ll play for maybe five minutes then audio drops out and latency kicks in. Restart, and back we go. Apple sent me a fairly heavyweight diagnostic tool to replicate the issue, and log what is happening, which I’ll try. Apple said, well it’s not us. I think someone mentioned other software shows the same issue - is this true ?
monkeyfunk 10:08 PM - 13 October, 2017
Shielding ? Frequency issues ?
monkeyfunk 10:56 PM - 13 October, 2017
There it goes again. A click or a dropout and the latency kicks in and I have practically no control of triggering. Worse, restarting and I’m in that library hang where the crates doesn’t load, spinning wheel of death and sometimes even a black screen. Restart.restart.replugin. Restart.
monkeyfunk 1:28 AM - 14 October, 2017
Looked at the log files when this is happening :

HALC_ProxyIOContext.cpp:1068:IOWorkLoop: HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop: skipping cycle due to overload
HALC_ProxyIOContext.cpp:1068:IOWorkLoop: HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop: skipping cycle due to overload

looks like it is the culprit

also some other stuff, not relevant

143: This application, or a library it uses, is using the deprecated Carbon Component Manager for hosting Audio Units. Support for this will be removed in a future release. Also, this makes the host incompatible with version 3 audio units. Please transition to the API's in AudioComponent.h.
monkeyfunk 2:08 AM - 14 October, 2017
Further reading form here :

developer.apple.com

The HAL IOProc is a time-limited, high-priority thread. CoreAudio will generate an overload warning in order to indicate that a recent I/O cycle took too long to complete. This happens when the time allocated, by the HAL, expires before the IOProc returns. These types of warnings can be commonplace under high cpu load and/or low memory conditions. Some kernel-level tasks may also be causing your IOProc to be preempted, VM paging being a big one, especially when memory is sparse.

Optimize! Optimize! Optimize!

If you have Apple's CHUD tools installed you can use Shark and/or Saturn to profile your IOProc. These tools will allow you to determine any bottlenecks or IOProc preemptions caused by your code. Tools and documentation are available online under Performance & Debugging.

Apple also provides the HALLab utility (/Developer/Examples/CoreAudio/HAL/HALLab). You can use this application to monitor the statistics of your I/O cycle to get a better idea of where in the cycle the overload is occurring. This information can found in the IO Telemetry window (File->New:).

So RAM and processing is not the issue - what is ?

Can anyone interpret this ?
monkeyfunk 2:09 AM - 14 October, 2017
This stands out to me -

“Some kernel-level tasks may also be causing your IOProc to be preempted”
monkeyfunk 10:26 AM - 16 October, 2017
What say you, Serato ?

> HALC_ProxyIOContext.cpp:1068:IOWorkLoop: HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop: skipping cycle due to overload
monkeyfunk 11:18 AM - 16 October, 2017
So here is some further reading that may be useful.

In this thread : www.forum.rme-audio.de

"About a year ago, a buffer overflow in core audio was fixed. It stopped a malicious audio file from crashing parts of core audio and, by doing so, revealing parts of ram memory.
That made old bugs in drivers, as well as in apps and core audio itself appear. If one of these sends out buffers that are too large, security will stop it. Hence, dropouts, cracking, stuttering."

In this thread, similar issues are experienced by users, who make the point that rolling back to a previous OS doesn't help as something has been injected into the IO drivers, that doesn't get rewritten on rolling back. One user has his logic board and IO board replaced by Apple and the problem no longer happens.

origin-discussions-us.apple.com
popnwave 2:40 PM - 16 October, 2017
This is going to be dragging out for a while. If someone said a hardware replacement fixed it, it really is on Apple, but that seems random.. unless BRAND NEW revisions to the logic and IO board correct it. If that's the case people need to really raise a stink until Apple does a recall/replace on it (like they have done with faulty GFX cards in the past).
Jmoney$ 4:14 PM - 16 October, 2017
Found these on the net as well

Some MacBook Pro Owners Are Complaining About a 'Popping' Sound
fortune.com

Clicking/creaking noise on late 2016 MBP
forums.macrumors.com
monkeyfunk 4:49 PM - 19 October, 2017
Serato recommend using a powered USB hub and deleting outdated Rane drivers (for devices I have never used) and seeing if the crash happens in INT mode..
Shoby 12:07 PM - 25 March, 2018
Hey Monkeyfunk,

Did you manage to get the macbook-Serato issue fixed finally?
monkeyfunk 8:42 AM - 29 March, 2018
Kinda. I now dont use a hub as I felt an unpowered hub was part fo the problem. So each CDJ and the Rane is plugged into the MacBook using USBb to USBa with a individual Anker USBc adapter. Wifi still causes audio "interference", but I don't need wifi during a set really. So far stable and good.
Đ˜Đ»ŃŒŃ 11:56 PM - 31 March, 2018
Very insulting. I bought a new MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, four thunderbolt 3 ports), 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB. I use Serato Pro 2.0.1 and Pioneer DDJ-SX2. Watch the brakes video. And sometimes interrupted the recording of the mix! It's very frustrating! What to expect??? Will Serato solve this problem???
Đ˜Đ»ŃŒŃ 4:11 PM - 2 April, 2018
Quote:
Very insulting. I bought a new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (13-inch, 2017, four thunderbolt 3 ports), 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB. I use Serato Pro 2.0.1 and Pioneer DDJ-SX2. Watch the brakes video. And sometimes interrupted the recording of the mix! It's very frustrating! What to expect??? Will Serato solve this problem???
Đ˜Đ»ŃŒŃ 4:11 PM - 2 April, 2018
is there any information?
popnwave 4:18 PM - 2 April, 2018
Replying to your own reply, no there isn't anything new. Try any of the things mentioned in OTHER touchbar threads on here, mainly covering up the sensor, to see if that's the source of your video issues.
brauliozee 4:09 AM - 9 June, 2018
I am having the exact same problem. I have spoken to Apple, Serato, and Rane about this. The hot plugging issue is the biggest one. We should be able to disconnect and connect are hardware without having to restart our touchbar macs!!

The issue lies within the hardware, they must update the drivers in order to fix this problem. I own both the Rane 62 and Pioneer S9. Rane is aware of this problem and they're taking forever which in turn means they're not giving a shit. Pioneer has fixed this problem with the new DDJ-1000 controller but still not the S9. I disconnected the controller several times at NAMM and no issues what so ever. We need to complain and push these companies to take the time to fix this problem and update these damn drivers!
Đ˜Đ»ŃŒŃ 10:29 PM - 10 June, 2018
it seems soon turn on Traktor.... offensively....
lazyflow 12:53 PM - 11 June, 2018
Same issue, happenned at each gig!
I even had a worse situation last weekend, I was playing before and after another DJ, I disconnected the hardware and closed my laptop to wait for my second set, the power adaptator wasn’t plug in, when it was my turn again to DJ I lifted the screen up and it was black, so I tried to connect the power adaptator and reboot 30 times, it didn’t want to start... all my usb-c plugs seemed not working anymore, the computer was showing the logo to plug the power adaptator, but didn’t recognize it... horrible situation, luckily I had an emergency USB key with rekordbox and all my playlists inside and I managed to play without Serato...
When I went back home I tried to reboot it again and again and try all the usb-c ports, it finally managed to start again after 30min of stress, I don’t know why and how.
This issue is really dangerous, when you disconnect the hardware on a MacBook Pro touch bar while Serato is on it turns off the touch bar (it becomes dark and useless) and all the usb-c ports start to stop working, so if you’re out of battery you can have big issues to restart like it happened to me, because the computer won’t recognize the power adaptor, all the usb-c plugs will be dead... I first thought it was a problem coming from an usb hub, so I bought new direct adaptator cables to avoid an hub and I had the same issue.
I’m really worried now. I DJ 5 times a week and I need professional hardware. Apple seems not be able to do anything for that. Are you going to fixe this issue asap? Otherwise I will have to look somewhere else... 10 years of using Serato.
popnwave 6:05 PM - 11 June, 2018
Quote:
Apple seems not be able to do anything for that. Are you going to fixe this issue asap?

So because Apple creates a core problem you blame 3rd party software devs? Hmmmmm my faith in humanity continues to weaken.
lazyflow 6:15 PM - 11 June, 2018
Quote:
So because Apple creates a core problem you blame 3rd party software devs? Hmmmmm my faith in humanity continues to weaken.

I only have this issue with Serato DJ, not with Logic Pro X and my sound card/audio interface, not with hard drives/usb keys, not with disk target mode. So... it looks like a conflict between Serato hardware and MacBook Pro touch bar that need an update on the software/drivers. IDK

What Apple can do on a 3rd party software problem? I think it’s more the bizness of Serato than their.

Except if you know something that I don’t know. Which informations do you have about this “core problem”? I’m interested.
popnwave 6:18 PM - 11 June, 2018
Quote:
Serato hardware

If you want to point fingers I'd go with the hardware people. Rane, Pioneer, et all all choose to make hardware that is supported in a certain way. It can be a CORE AUDIO device or need drivers from the maker to play nice on differing operating systems.

Sure, Serato says "I detect a DDJ-SZ2, let me unlock both decks!" but if the drivers from Pioneer are garbage you're going to have issues.
lazyflow 6:37 PM - 11 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Serato hardware

If you want to point fingers I'd go with the hardware people. Rane, Pioneer, et all all choose to make hardware that is supported in a certain way. It can be a CORE AUDIO device or need drivers from the maker to play nice on differing operating systems.

Sure, Serato says "I detect a DDJ-SZ2, let me unlock both decks!" but if the drivers from Pioneer are garbage you're going to have issues.

Sorry I didn't precise, I'm using a SL3, no problems on my previous laptop a Macbook Pro 2011 when hardware disconnected.
popnwave 6:39 PM - 11 June, 2018
Quote:

Sorry I didn't precise, I'm using a SL3, no problems on my previous laptop a Macbook Pro 2011 when hardware disconnected.

Nor do I have issues with my 2012 MBP and hot plugging either. It's an issue with Apple, the TouchBar, dongles, and the way USB-C, operating system and hardware interact.
dj scottie b 8:01 PM - 11 June, 2018
Quote:
It works but there are a couple of issues with it.....like one you can't be on Wifi while serato is open. If you unplug the cable you have to restart your computer in order for serato to work again been waiting for a update for this for months.....serato your taking way to long to fix these issues!!!!!!

the part about wifi simply isnt true.....download while I'm playing on an almost nightly basis. not sure whats going on there
popnwave 8:22 PM - 11 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

the part about wifi simply isnt true.....download while I'm playing on an almost nightly basis. not sure whats going on there

There were some issues with the WIFI on some models doing oddball things to people using DVS.
DJ Tecniq 4:41 AM - 12 June, 2018
This is why most users avoided the touchbar Macs. Now you know.
lazyflow 1:41 PM - 12 June, 2018
I launched investigations with Apple engineers. I also have issues with itunes (freezing) and sometimes with external hard drives or disk target mode. I'll let you know if I've got any news...

Otherwise I found a good trick in this post, that can help in the meantime! I tried and it works; using a usb hub and unplug the hardware from the hub and not unplugging the hub directly with the hardware plugged on it, it won't turn off the touch bar and the usb-c plugs will still work. support.serato.com
DJ No Cue 9:34 PM - 13 June, 2018
I havent had any of these issues. 2017 15" touchbar 2.8i7 16gb ram amd 555 intel 630 touchbar. I have wifi on and can record, open other apps etc with no affect on serato 2.0.3. with all its settings for maximum quality. optimizing may be key but idk
popnwave 10:03 PM - 13 June, 2018
Quote:
I havent had any of these issues. 2017 15" touchbar 2.8i7 16gb ram amd 555 intel 630 touchbar. I have wifi on and can record, open other apps etc with no affect on serato 2.0.3. with all its settings for maximum quality. optimizing may be key but idk

You using DVS? That seemed to be the scenario that a lot of hardcore users would hit the problem with. Controllers and other things not so much.
al83 10:13 AM - 7 August, 2018
Is this STILL an issue with the touchbar macs??
Aptidda 6:33 PM - 8 August, 2018
I just got in my brand new MacBook. It smells new.
lazyflow 9:12 AM - 19 September, 2018
So, after many weeks using an USB hub I can say that it solved the « usb-c shut down Â» problem. I can plug and unplug the card on the usb hub without restarting the computer. But I’ve got troubles almost every night and it’s very embarrassing in big venues:
-Serato decides to freeze and no sounds go out anymore, just like that, while mixing
-When I use HID mode with pioneer cdjs it sometimes don’t recognize the turntables/disconnect in the middle of the set as well for no reasons and the sound stops too
-In the middle of the set Serato generate 1 sec of delay and it becomes impossible to mix without restarting the software

All of this is very stressy and unprofessional, I’m starting to worry for my future gigs and contracts with new clubs/clients. I now only see 2 choices:
-buying a pc dedicated to Serato (very uncomfortable for me to move my 500 playlists to another computer everyday... and cary 2 computers
-bye bye Serato and switching to rekordbox with a better integration (I guess)

I bought this computer, because my 2011 MacBook Pro died and I couldn’t find a good refurbished model to replace it, nothing on the market anymore only these touchbars...

So I’m trapped now, I used Serato for 10 years, I started with a SL1 and it seems like I now have to quit and go to rekordbox, I don’t see another solution. I was on Sierra and I tried to upgrade to High Sierra, nothing changed. This computer is a beast I’ve got no problems with all my other softwares, only Serato.

Is Serato gonna upgrade their sound cards/firmware for the new generations?
al83 9:59 AM - 19 September, 2018
Quote:
So, after many weeks using an USB hub I can say that it solved the « usb-c shut down Â» problem. I can plug and unplug the card on the usb hub without restarting the computer. But I’ve got troubles almost every night and it’s very embarrassing in big venues:
-Serato decides to freeze and no sounds go out anymore, just like that, while mixing
-When I use HID mode with pioneer cdjs it sometimes don’t recognize the turntables/disconnect in the middle of the set as well for no reasons and the sound stops too
-In the middle of the set Serato generate 1 sec of delay and it becomes impossible to mix without restarting the software

All of this is very stressy and unprofessional, I’m starting to worry for my future gigs and contracts with new clubs/clients. I now only see 2 choices:
-buying a pc dedicated to Serato (very uncomfortable for me to move my 500 playlists to another computer everyday... and cary 2 computers

I bought this computer, because my 2011 MacBook Pro died and I couldn’t find a good refurbished model to replace it, nothing on the market anymore only these touchbars...

So I’m trapped now, I used Serato for 10 years, I started with a SL1 and it seems like I now have to quit and go to rekordbox, I don’t see another solution. I was on Sierra and I tried to upgrade to High Sierra, nothing changed. This computer is a beast I’ve got no problems with all my other softwares, only Serato.

Plenty of pre touchbar MacBooks on the market, 2013-2015 retinas are more than capable and in fact most DJs still use those models.

However, it’s shocking that it’s 2018 and these issues still persist, regardless of who’s problem it is it should have been solved by now.
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:27 AM - 19 September, 2018
Quote:

What USB Hub are you using?

I will recommend you get a dock and not a USB C hub.

Something like this

CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock (HDMI 2.0) - Portable, Bus Powered, 40Gbs, Dual 4K @ 60Hz, USB 3.0 & 2.0, GbE LAN. Compatible w/Thunderbolt 3 Mac and PC (Dual HDMI 2.0) www.amazon.co.uk

Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Dock - With 50 cm Thunderbolt cable, 40Gb/s, dual 4K support, 2x Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C), 3x USB 3.0, audio input and output, Gigabit Ethernet, aluminum chassis www.amazon.co.uk

I use the Thunderbolt 2 dock in combination with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter

Elgato Thunderbolt 2 Dock - With 50 cm Thunderbolt cable, 20Gb/s, 4K support, 2x Thunderbolt 2, 3x USB 3.0, audio input and output, Gigabit Ethernet, aluminum chassis www.amazon.co.uk
lazyflow 11:38 AM - 19 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Something like this

CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock (HDMI 2.0) - Portable, Bus Powered, 40Gbs, Dual 4K @ 60Hz, USB 3.0 & 2.0, GbE LAN. Compatible w/Thunderbolt 3 Mac and PC (Dual HDMI 2.0) www.amazon.co.uk

Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Dock - With 50 cm Thunderbolt cable, 40Gb/s, dual 4K support, 2x Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C), 3x USB 3.0, audio input and output, Gigabit Ethernet, aluminum chassis www.amazon.co.uk

I use the Thunderbolt 2 dock in combination with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter

Elgato Thunderbolt 2 Dock - With 50 cm Thunderbolt cable, 20Gb/s, 4K support, 2x Thunderbolt 2, 3x USB 3.0, audio input and output, Gigabit Ethernet, aluminum chassis www.amazon.co.uk

There aren’t thunderbolt port on touchbars only USB-C. I tried many usb hubs from different brands and quality, the only one that seems the most stable is the one I’m using now: CharJenPro
But still have the issues listed on top.
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:45 AM - 19 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Something like this

There aren’t thunderbolt port on touchbars only USB-C. I tried many usb hubs from different brands and quality, the only one that seems the most stable is the one I’m using now: CharJenPro
But still have the issues listed on top.

The Touchbar Macs are all Thunderbolt 3 type C
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:49 AM - 19 September, 2018
There is no way to guarantee many of the USB C multi adapter like the CharJenPro one you have. I bought another brand of the 7 in 1 aswell but I went back to using my Thunderbolt dock which I find to be excellent.
lazyflow 12:39 PM - 19 September, 2018
Quote:
There is no way to guarantee many of the USB C multi adapter like the CharJenPro one you have. I bought another brand of the 7 in 1 aswell but I went back to using my Thunderbolt dock which I find to be excellent.

Which dock is working for you? You don’t have any issues with it?
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:21 PM - 19 September, 2018
This is the one i use.

It's thunderbolt 2 dock and connect it to my 2017 MBP with this

Apple Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter www.amazon.co.uk
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:25 PM - 19 September, 2018
I bought the dock when I had a 2014 MBP but instead of buying a new dock for the 2017 i bought the Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter.

Hope that's clear enough.

Apple 2017 15" MBP with type C ---> Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter ----> Elgato Thunderbolt 2 dock.
lazyflow 1:38 PM - 19 September, 2018
Quote:
I bought the dock when I had a 2014 MBP but instead of buying a new dock for the 2017 i bought the Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter.

Hope that's clear enough.

Apple 2017 15" MBP with type C ---> Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter ----> Elgato Thunderbolt 2 dock.

Thank you, I’m surprise that better works than a CharJen Pro, 2 adaptator together. Do you use HID mode as well?

What’s your laptop model exactly please?
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:24 PM - 19 September, 2018
Mid 2017 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
16gb RAM
4gb GPU
I7 2.9ghz

I plug everything into that dock.

CDJs in HID, External HD, DJM, Controllers, HDMI etc

I have only 2 cables going to my computer (charger and the USB going to the dock)

I've never had any issues with it.

I also have a USB multiadapter similar to your CharJenPro and I have had issues with it. I was at a gig and the mixer kept disconnecting.

Satechi Aluminum Multi-Port Adapter www.amazon.co.uk

Thats why i now only use the dock at gigs
lazyflow 2:34 PM - 19 September, 2018
Quote:
Mid 2017 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
16gb RAM
4gb GPU
I7 2.9ghz

I plug everything into that dock.

CDJs in HID, External HD, DJM, Controllers, HDMI etc

I have only 2 cables going to my computer (charger and the USB going to the dock)

I've never had any issues with it.

I also have a USB multiadapter similar to your CharJenPro and I have had issues with it. I was at a gig and the mixer kept disconnecting.

Satechi Aluminum Multi-Port Adapter www.amazon.co.uk

Thats why i now only use the dock at gigs

Thank you so much!
I have a MacBook Pro 15” 2016 16Go 1To 2,9GHz i7 so it should work too.
So I’ll try to get the dock you have, maybe the thunderbolt 3 version. But so expensive for just plugging a Serato...
I see there are only 2 usb input, how do you do to plug the DJM/Serato + 2 turntables + hardrive, you use special cables as well?
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:06 PM - 19 September, 2018
It has 3 USB ports on it.
2 thunderbolt 2 ports
1 HDMI

That's enough for 2 CDJs & 1 mixer

I use one of the Thunderbolt sockets for my hard drive (lacie rugged thunderbolt external)

You also still have 2/3 spare USB C on your laptop for any extra accessories.

If you get the Thunderbolt 3 dock it will also charge your laptop through that single type C cable.
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:08 PM - 19 September, 2018
CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock - 85W Charging, 7X USB 3.1 Ports, USB-C Gen 2, DisplayPort, UHS-II SD Card Slot, LAN, Optical Out, for 2016+ MacBook Pro & PC (Space Grey - 0.7m/2.3ft Cable) 
 www.amazon.co.uk

That has 7 normal USB ports
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:18 PM - 19 September, 2018
www.owcdigital.com

The OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock has 5 USB 3.1 ports on it.

That's another option you may want to look at. It charges the laptop as well
DJ Nick Scott 5:05 PM - 21 September, 2018
I just bought a MBP today. late 2017 13 in i5 dual core with touch bar. Are y'all still having problems?
popnwave 5:16 PM - 21 September, 2018
Quote:
I just bought a MBP today. late 2017 13 in i5 dual core with touch bar. Are y'all still having problems?

Your mileage my vary.. I know people with no issues and others with some. I'd skim over suggestions (including the light sensor ones) and test test test out your setup as soon as you can.
lazyflow 11:05 AM - 29 September, 2018
Quote:
2 thunderbolt 2 ports
1 HDMI

I use one of the Thunderbolt sockets for my hard drive (lacie rugged thunderbolt external)

If you get the Thunderbolt 3 dock it will also charge your laptop through that single type C cable.

So I bought the Elgato thunderbolt and connected my SL3, 2 cdjs and my Korg nanopad to use the sampler. I did 2 gigs with it. The first one I just had a little 1 seconde cut in the set, I was like damn, but ok it’s still working. The second gig was a nightmare, the music stopped 3 times and getting 1 seconde delayed, I had to reboot Serato 2 times and my computer 30 minutes after starting my set... I managed to finish my set and play one more hour after the reboot..

I’m now very desesperate, I’ve put so much money and energy to try keeping using Serato with that computer. I now don’t have other choices than quit Serato after 10 years of use... I loved it, I’m really pissed. I will have to switch to rekordbox.
al83 11:19 AM - 29 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
2 thunderbolt 2 ports
1 HDMI

So I bought the Elgato thunderbolt and connected my SL3, 2 cdjs and my Korg nanopad to use the sampler. I did 2 gigs with it. The first one I just had a little 1 seconde cut in the set, I was like damn, but ok it’s still working. The second gig was a nightmare, the music stopped 3 times and getting 1 seconde delayed, I had to reboot Serato 2 times and my computer 30 minutes after starting my set... I managed to finish my set and play one more hour after the reboot..

I’m now very desesperate, I’ve put so much money and energy to try keeping using Serato with that computer. I now don’t have other choices than quit Serato after 10 years of use... I loved it, I’m really pissed. I will have to switch to rekordbox.

Its disappointing that there is little to no official word on this issue. Is a fix coming? Is the official advice to not use touchbar macs?
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:01 PM - 29 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
2 thunderbolt 2 ports
1 HDMI

Damn thats not cool. I have had no similar issue with my 2017 MacBook Pro using the TB2 dock.

Have you done the required optimization for the touch bar and general Mac optimization? Are you sure you do not have a loose USB C port...like partial contact.

Try running everything connected at home for hours before gigging out.

Which dock did you get? Thunderbolt 2 or 3?
lazyflow 2:22 PM - 29 September, 2018
Quote:

Damn thats not cool. I have had no similar issue with my 2017 MacBook Pro using the TB2 dock.

Have you done the required optimization for the touch bar and general Mac optimization? Are you sure you do not have a loose USB C port...like partial contact.

Try running everything connected at home for hours before gigging out.

Which dock did you get? Thunderbolt 2 or 3?

Thunderbolt 3, the computer has only few months, I tried 2 different ports. It shouldn’t have differences.

Which special optimisation do you recommend me?
lazyflow 12:01 PM - 4 October, 2018
@DJ_Marv_the_Maverick can you please tell me which OS do you have and what are your Serato preferences? I tried to switch the latency to 20ms instead of 5, I tried home for hours without HID it seemed fine, I've got 2 shows this weekend will see what happens...

Do you also plug the mac charger on your laptop in addition of the Elgato dock or just the Elgato on your laptop with all your gears plugged and as a charger?

I asked to Apple to change my computer to an older one without USB-C ports, of course they refused :) they barely recommended me to find another compatible hardware (maybe Pioneer, but I heard similar issues with USB-C and their gears) or go to PC lol

Does the problem might can come from my excessive playlists? I've got more than 500. Or the space on my hard drive? 100go on 1to.
Dax 1:48 PM - 4 October, 2018
Quote:
Hello

I am looking at getting a new Macbook pro with a touchbar are they working with serato yet? I know there was an issue when they came out and I can't find anything about them working??

Thanks

i keep having latency problems with mine.
i've posted a reply from serato support
serato.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:58 PM - 4 October, 2018
I'm running the last High Sierra OS. The last one prior to Mojave release. My laptop isn't with me now so I can't tell you the exact release.

My dock doesn't have the power pass through. I'm using an older dock. It's Thunderbolt 2 and doesn't support charging via dock.

So I connect the dock to it's own power supply and still plug my laptop power directly to the laptop.

So 2 cables are connected to my Mac.

Perhaps you may want to swap the Thunderbolt 3 dock for a Thunderbolt 2 dock.

To use a Thunderbolt 2 dock with the Mac you will need a separate thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter. I use the official one.

That's what I have. I plug my Thunderbolt 2 cable to the Mac through the TB3 to TB2 adapter.

My Serato preferences are on default 5ms.

This is the exact stuff I use

Apple Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter www.amazon.co.uk

Try some basic stuff as well

You say you are running out of storage space, consider moving your library to an external HD. I use a 4TB SSD external. I have about 2TB of files with 2TB space left

I have about 50 crates. I used to have more but I saved them and deleted them. Crates such as Xmas/Halloween/NYE that I only use once a year, i removed them.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 4:32 PM - 4 October, 2018
My best advice would be to use a Thunderbolt 3 Hub. I regularly use the elgato systems thunderbolt 3 dock.

Not only does it support charging but I also route my LG 21:9 Ultrawide 5K Nano IPS Monitor, my G-Technology G-Speed Shuttle XL 64 TB 8 Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID Array (3x 8TB), my Prism Sound ADA-8XR Audio Interface with 16-Channel A/D & 8-Channel AES I/O, my Sony PDW-530 XDCAM Camcorder 16:9/4:3 Switchable MPEG IMX 4:2:2.

If you look into it, that is an insane amount of tech running through a single hub. It fares nicely with my Fully Spec'd iMac Pro and serato runs smooth as butter.
DJ JulioYEG 5:42 PM - 4 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
What's the solution ?
Don't buy a touchbar MacđŸ€·đŸŒâ€â™‚ïž

+10000000
popnwave 6:46 PM - 4 October, 2018
Loaded 2015 15" with discreet GFX is the way to go.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:48 PM - 4 October, 2018
Quote:
My best advice would be to use a Thunderbolt 3 Hub. I regularly use the elgato systems thunderbolt 3 dock.

Not only does it support charging but I also route my LG 21:9 Ultrawide 5K Nano IPS Monitor, my G-Technology G-Speed Shuttle XL 64 TB 8 Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID Array (3x 8TB), my Prism Sound ADA-8XR Audio Interface with 16-Channel A/D & 8-Channel AES I/O, my Sony PDW-530 XDCAM Camcorder 16:9/4:3 Switchable MPEG IMX 4:2:2.

If you look into it, that is an insane amount of tech running through a single hub. It fares nicely with my Fully Spec'd iMac Pro and serato runs smooth as butter.

That was my initial advise to him and He bought one, but seems he is still having issues.

He asked for my exact specs hence my last post.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 6:51 PM - 4 October, 2018
Its an iMac Pro or bust my guys. I even have a Pelican flight case for it.
popnwave 7:36 PM - 4 October, 2018
Quote:

That's like one of those guys sitting at Starbucks with an entire computer/console set up. No thanks.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 8:01 PM - 4 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

That's like one of those guys sitting at Starbucks with an entire computer/console set up. No thanks.

yep I'm definitely one of those guys. however I keep the iMac pro tucked away and hidden when I play. I just like to know the power is there if I ever need it.
Supagee 4:42 AM - 5 October, 2018
if your having an issue with new mac pro and touch bar with say SL3 or S9 i found all you have to do is go in to system preferences -> Keyboard and on the "Touch Bar shows" you should select "expanded control strip"

This solved all my issues...
Supagee 4:44 AM - 5 October, 2018
Also rather than use a hub which i hate using and hooking up i got these and have had no issues with them

www.amazon.ca
popnwave 2:34 PM - 5 October, 2018
Quote:
Also rather than use a hub which i hate using and hooking up i got these and have had no issues with them

www.amazon.ca

Those seem to work well along with the Chroma cables.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:46 PM - 5 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

www.amazon.ca

I was using those ones as well but I still get the Touchbar hot unplug issue with them. That's why I went back to using a dock.
Supagee 8:27 AM - 6 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.amazon.ca

I was using those ones as well but I still get the Touchbar hot unplug issue with them. That's why I went back to using a dock.

try that tip i put in a response earlier with these cables and see if that fixes your hot plug issue
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:09 AM - 6 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.amazon.ca

try that tip i put in a response earlier with these cables and see if that fixes your hot plug issue

My mac was already set that way.

Just to clarify, when you pull the direct USB C to USB B cable when serato is playing, are you able to reconnect the hardware with no issues?
lazyflow 3:15 PM - 24 October, 2018
Hello guys
So after few weeks of several tests, I finally found a solution that works for me.
Connecting my SL3 on the Elgato USB-C dock to a USB-C port of the computer and the Macbook Pro power plug on another USB-C port of the computer.

It wasn't stable when I was only letting the Elgato dock charging the computer.
I played almost 30 hours in total without any disconnection while Serato SL3, 2 CDJs in HID mode and one Korg Nanopad to control the sampler was connected on the mac thru this dock. I just had 1sec of the sound muted in few sets at some point, but I already got this rare issue before the touchbar.

So the Elgato dock can solve this MacBook Pro new generation issue if you also connect your power plug on your computer. It's just very annoying to carry all these wires and it's pretty heavy, but it works.

Thank you so much DJ Marv the Maverick, you saved my ass. I wish Serato will find an issue tho to avoid carrying all of this..
popnwave 3:39 PM - 24 October, 2018
This problem exists with Rekordbox setups as well because it's an Apple design choice. It means we will probably learn to work with and around it vs any sort of change that Serato is able to make.
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:40 PM - 24 October, 2018
Quote:
Hello guys
So after few weeks of several tests, I finally found a solution that works for me.
Connecting my SL3 on the Elgato USB-C dock to a USB-C port of the computer and the Macbook Pro power plug on another USB-C port of the computer.

It wasn't stable when I was only letting the Elgato dock charging the computer.
I played almost 30 hours in total without any disconnection while Serato SL3, 2 CDJs in HID mode and one Korg Nanopad to control the sampler was connected on the mac thru this dock. I just had 1sec of the sound muted in few sets at some point, but I already got this rare issue before the touchbar.

So the Elgato dock can solve this MacBook Pro new generation issue if you also connect your power plug on your computer. It's just very annoying to carry all these wires and it's pretty heavy, but it works.

Thank you so much DJ Marv the Maverick, you saved my ass. I wish Serato will find an issue tho to avoid carrying all of this..

Happy to hear you are sorted.

Yeah it's a bit of inconvenience carrying that extra device but it's better to have something that works consistently than all those flimsy USB hubs.

Using the dock to power the macbook as well is a no no with the Elgato brand so.
djmalachi1 6:22 PM - 26 October, 2018
SL2 user here - still having tons of issues. I have a nice USB-C hub, the Apple adapter, and other adapters and am still having problems. I've tried everything, every possible combo, and have tried all the 'fixes' including disabling the touchbar (displaying the F keys only.) I am still getting intermittent freezes every 5-15 minutes where I have to completely unplug my SL2 and plug it back in. I've even reinstalled the entire Mac OS. I ended up just buying a cheap Windows laptop so I can continue with my gigs - I did this thinking eventually Apple AND Serato would get their shit together. Nope.

Apple now only has one non-touchbar macbook pro. Coming up on two years since this issue popped up. Obviously this problem isn't going away without either Apple or Serato spending money to fix it instead of finger pointing and letting the community fumble with workarounds.

Unacceptable behavior for a company that caters to professionals if you ask me.

Serato - if you don't want to work on a fix, the moral and ethical thing for you to do is make an official disclaimer that Apple laptops are no longer supported or recommended.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:45 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
SL2 user here - still having tons of issues. I have a nice USB-C hub, the Apple adapter, and other adapters and am still having problems. I've tried everything, every possible combo, and have tried all the 'fixes' including disabling the touchbar (displaying the F keys only.) I am still getting intermittent freezes every 5-15 minutes where I have to completely unplug my SL2 and plug it back in. I've even reinstalled the entire Mac OS. I ended up just buying a cheap Windows laptop so I can continue with my gigs - I did this thinking eventually Apple AND Serato would get their shit together. Nope.

Apple now only has one non-touchbar macbook pro. Coming up on two years since this issue popped up. Obviously this problem isn't going away without either Apple or Serato spending money to fix it instead of finger pointing and letting the community fumble with workarounds.

Unacceptable behavior for a company that caters to professionals if you ask me.

Serato - if you don't want to work on a fix, the moral and ethical thing for you to do is make an official disclaimer that Apple laptops are no longer supported or recommended.

Get a thunderbolt dock and not a usb multi adapter.

It's an issue you have to throw some money at unfortunately.

Elgato or Caldigit or OWC
DJ Tecniq 7:41 AM - 29 October, 2018
Just sell your Touchbar and get a non Touchbar Mac. Honestly you really aren’t gaining much with a Touchbar performance wise anyways.
Supagee 2:36 AM - 7 November, 2018
i am using a 2017 touch bar MacBook pro and once i put the TOUCH BAR SHOWS: EXPANDED CONTROL STRIP i have had no problems on various different SL boxes, controllers and mixers.
Supagee 2:42 AM - 7 November, 2018
the other thing i found that helped is to plug the power in the opposite side as the usb cable connecting your mixer or box is plugged into.
Dj Ace 7:48 AM - 7 November, 2018
I have a 2017 and a 2018 that works perfect with the Rane 72
Dj Ace 7:48 AM - 7 November, 2018
also the pioneer sx and vestal 380

no problems with Serato pro 2.1
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:11 AM - 7 November, 2018
Quote:
also the pioneer sx and vestal 380

no problems with Serato pro 2.1

The SX, 72 and 380 are all class complaint usb devices on MacOS. That's why you have no issues with your touchbar MacBook pro.

I think.
dj scottie b 2:10 PM - 7 November, 2018
Quote:
i am using a 2017 touch bar MacBook pro and once i put the TOUCH BAR SHOWS: EXPANDED CONTROL STRIP i have had no problems on various different SL boxes, controllers and mixers.

that didn't quite do it for me. not sure if I'm having the same problem as everybody else, but if i become disconnected , its difficult to become reconnected again.
if i missed it , I'm sorry, but is there a proper order of what u connect/power on first , etc?
thanks
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:28 PM - 7 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

that didn't quite do it for me. not sure if I'm having the same problem as everybody else, but if i become disconnected , its difficult to become reconnected again.
if i missed it , I'm sorry, but is there a proper order of what u connect/power on first , etc?
thanks

It's a known issue with the Touchbar Macs when using non class compliant USB devices.

If you disconnect your hardware you can't reconnect again until you restart the laptop. Often times you have to do a forced power down ie holding power button down as shutting down normally doesn't work as well

Work around is to get a thunderbolt dock. Connect your controller/mixer/soundcard to the dock instead of the computer. You can disconnect and reconnect to your hearts content.

Non of the tinkering in settings works for now.
al83 4:41 PM - 7 November, 2018
So want Serato or Serato compatible products are non class compliant? Surely they all should be?
al83 6:52 PM - 7 November, 2018
*what^
marsfromthesea 12:56 PM - 27 November, 2018
hey all
so i'm searching through the Internet since days and i'm starting to get desperate at those issues.
i don't have any reconnecting-issues, but i'm having audio-Dropouts of under 1 sec. Pretty often using a rane 72 with a 2018 macbook pro (touchbar
). i read through this whole thread and i'm not sure if the guys stating that they don't have issues are refering to the reconnecting-issue, or also the Dropout-Problem.
i'm just trying to see, if anyone that has a 72 in combination with a 2018 touchbar macbook is absolutely Dropout free on osx mojave. anf if so, if there's anything Special you did (config, Hardware etc). i was trying to figure out if using a usb-c dock is helping with the Dropouts/glitches as well?
i did the recommended optimization of the macbook (WiFi off, powersavings config etc. etc.) and at the Moment am absolutely lost in what else to try

have a great day and thanks in Advance :)
cheers
yves
The Captain Collin Hines 6:01 PM - 28 November, 2018
Quote:
hey all
so i'm searching through the Internet since days and i'm starting to get desperate at those issues.
i don't have any reconnecting-issues, but i'm having audio-Dropouts of under 1 sec. Pretty often using a rane 72 with a 2018 macbook pro (touchbar
). i read through this whole thread and i'm not sure if the guys stating that they don't have issues are refering to the reconnecting-issue, or also the Dropout-Problem.
i'm just trying to see, if anyone that has a 72 in combination with a 2018 touchbar macbook is absolutely Dropout free on osx mojave. anf if so, if there's anything Special you did (config, Hardware etc). i was trying to figure out if using a usb-c dock is helping with the Dropouts/glitches as well?
i did the recommended optimization of the macbook (WiFi off, powersavings config etc. etc.) and at the Moment am absolutely lost in what else to try

have a great day and thanks in Advance :)
cheers
yves

Welcome to my world. 2018 Macbook pro 2.9 Ghz i9 32 gz RAM

Been having constant audio glitches and dropouts with my Rane 72/12s set up.
Last night I disabled most of the touchbar features/functions.
Havent given it a good test yet, but after this latest customization I used it for about 10 minutes [with several serato sfx on] and had no glitches.
The Captain Collin Hines 6:09 PM - 28 November, 2018
1. I now have the touchbar set up as "Touchbar show : quick actions" [I've seen where others
have selected "Expanded Control Strip"]

2. I removed "Siri" and almost all the functions that I could from all of the the "Touchbar
Shows" options.

Will see how it behaves going forward.
marsfromthesea 6:15 AM - 29 November, 2018
Quote:

Welcome to my world. 2018 Macbook pro 2.9 Ghz i9 32 gz RAM

Been having constant audio glitches and dropouts with my Rane 72/12s set up.
Last night I disabled most of the touchbar features/functions.
Havent given it a good test yet, but after this latest customization I used it for about 10 minutes [with several serato sfx on] and had no glitches.

i just did a clean install of my macbook. it came with high sierra and i made an upgrade to mojave. someone told me yesterday that he had probs with this situation as well and a clean install (no restoring of time machine backup etc.).
so i did it and i tested yesterday for around an hour straight and had no glitches or dropouts or whatsoever (only micro-dropout i had was when i unplugged an external ssd while serato was playing).
so maybe this helps someone :-)
The Captain Collin Hines 6:40 AM - 29 November, 2018
Clean Install??? ..... YIKESS!!!! My worry with that, is my Serato settings/setup [crates etc] .... Plus my Ableton settings and account. All my passwords etc.

All of those were restored from my time machine.

Did you have to re do your entire serato set up? If not what's the workaround for restoration with a clean osx install?
marsfromthesea 7:27 AM - 29 November, 2018
yeah fuck me i hate clean installs... well passwordwise i'm glad i just did a clean-up of "last pass" just lately when i realized that the free version supports syncing across multiple devices (notebook, phone etc.) when i was using it years ago it didnt (only premium) and i stopped using it. few weeks ago i started using it again and just made sure all the entries etc. are up to date a week ago. so i'm all set there.

serato-wise i had to setup the software and when i connected the external ssd (i habe my music on there) all the crates where back in effect.

but still, a clean install to me is one of the worst things possible, i always fear i forgot something ;-/ ;-)

but it definately seems to habe sorted my problems i had with serato :-D
marsfromthesea 7:48 AM - 29 November, 2018
Quote:
Clean Install??? ..... YIKESS!!!! My worry with that, is my Serato settings/setup [crates etc] .... Plus my Ableton settings and account. All my passwords etc.

All of those were restored from my time machine.

Did you have to re do your entire serato set up? If not what's the workaround for restoration with a clean osx install?

oh something else just crossed my mind: i didn't test it since i didn't think of it until after i did the clean install:

i read in another Forum that someone had the same Problems and what solved it for him was that he disabled macs fan Control. i was using this tool as well (i'm not anymore now out of fear that the Problems might come back).

do you Maybe us this tool also? if so, try to disable it and see if you still have Problems.
The Captain Collin Hines 8:15 AM - 29 November, 2018
Don't think i want to mess with the fan[s] ... this machine tends to run "warm" from time to time.
marsfromthesea 8:31 AM - 29 November, 2018
yeah thats why i used that software, you can controll the fans and have them spin up at the desired temp (not just right before an incoming meltdown xD). but i guess for me it's back to leaving it up to the notebook...so meltdowns incoming again soon i guess ;-)
al83 4:29 PM - 1 December, 2018
Just out of interest, is there anyone that uses any of the 2016> MacBook Pro’s with touchbar without any dongles or adapters that has zero issues and everything works flawlessly?
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:24 PM - 1 December, 2018
Quote:
Just out of interest, is there anyone that uses any of the 2016> MacBook Pro’s with touchbar without any dongles or adapters that has zero issues and everything works flawlessly?

I use a 2017 15 MBP with the Touchbar

My observation without a dock

Using a direct cable - Class compliant Serato devices i.e Denon X1800, Rane 72, Pioneer WeGo3 work fine 100% (No lags, No latency, Hot unplugging friendly)

Using a direct cable - Devices with their own drivers (Non class compliant devices) ie SR2, Roland DJ 808 all work as well, but not unplugging friendly. If you unplug whilst Serato is running, the touch bar freezes and the MacBook requires a forced restart.

I'm running High Sierra btw.

With a dock...no unplugging issue whatsoever with both categories of devices.
al83 11:44 PM - 1 December, 2018
So I use the SL2 for DVS control, is that class compliant? I'd imagine its not as it needs its own drivers..
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:24 AM - 2 December, 2018
Quote:
So I use the SL2 for DVS control, is that class compliant? I'd imagine its not as it needs its own drivers..

The Rane SL2 is not class complaint. Latest driver was released July 2016.

SL4 is class compliant

They say Rane is working on new drivers for their gear. The 62 has a 2018 Windows beta driver.

What issue are you having?

The 57MK2, 72 and MP2015 are class complaint. All the SL sound cards require drivers.
al83 10:15 AM - 2 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

SL4 is class compliant

They say Rane is working on new drivers for their gear. The 62 has a 2018 Windows beta driver.

The 57MK2, 72 and MP2015 are class complaint. All the SL sound cards require drivers.

No issues as I still use the older retina MBP, but obviously looking to upgrade but not if it means dealing with all these problems..
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:01 PM - 2 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

SL4 is class compliant

No issues as I still use the older retina MBP, but obviously looking to upgrade but not if it means dealing with all these problems..

Correction: SL4 is not class compliant, requires drivers as well.
aightgenosse 1:15 PM - 3 December, 2018
I use a MBP 15" 2018 with Touchbar (macOS 10.14.1) and direct cables. Everything works fine, except using it with a Rane SL4 Box. After a while I will have delays while playing tracks in SDJ. After that, you need to reconnect the SL4 Box via USB C. The issue can be reproduced when you disconnect the WIFI and reconnect to a SSID.
Serato is informed, but has no solution at this point. I've heard about this issue also from other users - possible that the problem also occur with the Rane SL3 Box.
Matt Sherman 2:44 PM - 3 December, 2018
I am also using a new 15" touch bar model and have no problems as long as I use the powered USB hub that Serato recommends.
aightgenosse 3:26 PM - 3 December, 2018
@Matt Sherman: Which USB hub do you use? Do you use a Rane SL3 or Rane SL4? If yes, can you try to reconnect the WIFI and check, if you have delay-problems in SDJ?
Matt Sherman 4:10 PM - 3 December, 2018
Quote:
@Matt Sherman: Which USB hub do you use? Do you use a Rane SL3 or Rane SL4? If yes, can you try to reconnect the WIFI and check, if you have delay-problems in SDJ?

Sorry I should've clarified more. I'm not using SL4. I'm using Pioneer S9 with a random powered hub I got on ebay.
DJ Nick Scott 3:32 PM - 13 December, 2018
Quote:
if your having an issue with new mac pro and touch bar with say SL3 or S9 i found all you have to do is go in to system preferences -> Keyboard and on the "Touch Bar shows" you should select "expanded control strip"

This solved all my issues...

+10000000
Frozone 4:41 PM - 13 December, 2018
No Problem with my 2018 Macbook Pro 15" i9 32GB touch bar. Running mojave and a pioneer SZ 1ms latency. Serato + mixemergency no issues.
al83 6:32 PM - 13 December, 2018
Quote:
No Problem with my 2018 Macbook Pro 15" i9 32GB touch bar. Running mojave and a pioneer SZ 1ms latency. Serato + mixemergency no issues.

What about if you unplug the usb whilst playing, can you plug it back in and resume?
RyanMisk 6:45 PM - 15 December, 2018
Using a brand new 2018 macbook pro with touchbar.
16gb ram
512 gb

Put on the expanded control strip....
First night I djed with ddj sz and had no issues
Second night djing, went back to turntables and an SL2 box and I am having all the issues everyone else is having.
Dropped signal, came back with serious latency issues.
Second time I connected the SL2 box the sound got all distorted and sounded terrible.
Awful from Serato and Rane - this sh1t needs sorted out. This is our livelihood. If they dont fix it ill be heading to record box.
al83 12:07 AM - 16 December, 2018
Quote:
Using a brand new 2018 macbook pro with touchbar.
16gb ram
512 gb

Put on the expanded control strip....
First night I djed with ddj sz and had no issues
Second night djing, went back to turntables and an SL2 box and I am having all the issues everyone else is having.
Dropped signal, came back with serious latency issues.
Second time I connected the SL2 box the sound got all distorted and sounded terrible.
Awful from Serato and Rane - this sh1t needs sorted out. This is our livelihood. If they dont fix it ill be heading to record box.

As I understand it, the issue is with Apple and Mac OS and the hardware of the touchbar Macbooks... apparently non class compliant hardware (things that need drivers to work rather than plug & play) will have issues with the new Macbooks.
Frozone 5:34 PM - 17 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

What about if you unplug the usb whilst playing, can you plug it back in and resume?

I tried that this weekend and serato locked up but music still played ( through laptop speakers ) eventually the gui loaded single player. Plugged it back in and the same gui lock up... Serato recognized the SZ and started playing.

I keep the headphone jack of my laptop connected to a line on my sz just incase serato crashes I have audio playing directly from my laptop.
Nick Petino 11:58 PM - 21 December, 2018
Quote:

I saw you had mentioned that you were using a 2018 MacBook pro with Mojave and have had zero latency or dropout issues.
I have the same setup but I'm not having the same experience.

Which usb-c are you using? left/right side, front to back?
any particular settings?
what midi controller are using? or mixer etc.?

I cant get it right and I'm about to lose my mind. thanks again brother
al83 9:28 AM - 22 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I saw you had mentioned that you were using a 2018 MacBook pro with Mojave and have had zero latency or dropout issues.
I have the same setup but I'm not having the same experience.

Which usb-c are you using? left/right side, front to back?
any particular settings?
what midi controller are using? or mixer etc.?

I cant get it right and I'm about to lose my mind. thanks again brother

Are you having drop outs and latency issues? DVS or controller setup?
Frozone 12:19 PM - 22 December, 2018
@al83 I'm using a controller - Pioneer DDJ-Sz.

@Nick Petino - For the port, I switch it up. I use a cable i purchased from DJ tech tools to connect the Sz to the Laptop. For all other connections I use a Caldigit Thunderbolt 3 Dock. My Hard drive enclosure has a thunderbolt 2 connection, so i have to use a Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter from Apple.

No Particular settings - Software I use while DJing:

Serato Pro - Pitch N Time - Mix Emergency - Resolume 5 - Touch OSC

Don't know if this makes a difference:

All my Audio Files are AIFF - All my video files are MP4 ( from Smash Vision - BPM Supreme - X-MIX )

I can try DVS, I have my 1200's setup, but not sure it would change anything.
Matt Sherman 1:21 AM - 28 December, 2018
Quote:
@al83 I'm using a controller - Pioneer DDJ-Sz.

@Nick Petino - For the port, I switch it up. I use a cable i purchased from DJ tech tools to connect the Sz to the Laptop. For all other connections I use a Caldigit Thunderbolt 3 Dock. My Hard drive enclosure has a thunderbolt 2 connection, so i have to use a Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter from Apple.

No Particular settings - Software I use while DJing:

Serato Pro - Pitch N Time - Mix Emergency - Resolume 5 - Touch OSC

Don't know if this makes a difference:

All my Audio Files are AIFF - All my video files are MP4 ( from Smash Vision - BPM Supreme - X-MIX )

I can try DVS, I have my 1200's setup, but not sure it would change anything.

Which remix service do you like the best? I personally like a lot of sampling/remixing.
Frozone 10:46 PM - 1 January, 2019
@ Mattsherman BPM Supreme - DMS and sometimes DJCity
Sti 4:05 PM - 12 January, 2019
are there any news concerning MBP 2018 Touchbar?

I just bought a MacBook 15,1 (BTO, will arrive in a week...)

My plan was to connect my DDJ-SZ with a Chroma Cable USB-C -> USB-B.

I will do a clean install of Mojave, if it doesn't come with it directly.

There so many of you with issues, but there a also many without.

Is Serato still working on that?
Nick Petino 4:36 PM - 12 January, 2019
I’m still having a little Lag which doesn’t make sense cause I have 32GB RAM and a 2.9 i9 SIx core. That computer should be eating Serato like nothing but I still notice jumpy waveforms. I put out a whole bunch of steps that I did to help these issues and it did a lot but still not perfect.

USB dropouts with 2018 MacBook Pro 2.9 i9 32GB 4TBssd, 560x running MOJAVE 10.4.2.
Here is a list of things that had “fixed” and drastically reduced the amount of skips and dropouts I was having. Now I can use the laptop on 1MS usb buffer (the highest setting) with Mixemergecy with 4k media and am running NEAR perfect. The only time I get a brief “skip” is when turning the wifi on. (Stupid I know but what can ya do). Needless to say APPLE needs to address this USB issue but here are the workarounds.
Most are the basic MAC OSX optimizations, but some I didn’t think of some of these so ill list them anyway.

1. T2 security chip set to OFF (reboot in disk utility to find it) I listed this first because I think it helped the most.
2. All Network connections deleted EXCEPT for wifi. (Not as hard as it seems)
3. Date/Time - make sure you have APPLE SET automatically OFF
4. Automatic graphics switching OFF and Put hard disks to sleep OFF
5. Disable APP NAP on anything Serato related.
6. Disable screensaver
7. Use a direct USB-C to USB-B wire (Using Chroma cable now), no HUBS
8. Touch Bar set to EXPANDED Control Strip in keyboard setting
9. SIRI turned off
10. Time machine OFF
11. Automatic updates OFF
12. Bluetooth OFF
13. Firewall and FileVault OFF
14. Make sure Serato has Microphone Access.
15. Disable Sudden Motion Sensor via Terminal commands
16. Turned off True Tone and Automatic Brightness Adjust
al83 9:03 PM - 12 January, 2019
Its unbelievable that in 2019, massively overpowered new Macbooks can't run a software like Serato flawlessly. Just out of interest, is there anyone using a touchbar Macbook with a totally flawless experience with everything working with low latency, no dropouts or crashes etc?

Would be interesting to see a poll on the percentage of users running pre touchbar Macs for SDJ..
Sti 9:35 AM - 14 January, 2019
I asked Serato, if there are known hotplug issues with Macbook 2018 touchbar concering these known issues with Macbook from 2016/2017 ( support.serato.com )

Here is the answer:

" Hi there,

As far as we can tell, 2018 macbooks aren't affected by this issue, so you should be alright.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Jon
Customer Support "

I'm curious about it. I will check it, when I got my MacBook in one or two weeks.
monkeyfunk 11:33 PM - 15 January, 2019
Quote:
Its unbelievable that in 2019, massively overpowered new Macbooks can't run a software like Serato flawlessly. Just out of interest, is there anyone using a touchbar Macbook with a totally flawless experience with everything working with low latency, no dropouts or crashes etc?

Would be interesting to see a poll on the percentage of users running pre touchbar Macs for SDJ..

Yep, Rane 72, flawless experience
RyanMisk 2:50 PM - 19 January, 2019
I thought this wasn't an apple issue, more that Rane need to update their drivers for SL boxes?
Bondage 8:43 AM - 5 February, 2019
MacBookPro14,3 quad core 16gb
Rane 72 + Twelve

I went back to Serato 2.0.5 and i use USB C on the right (the under one). Now i can play normal but still i am afraid of skipping track. I did also the list from Nick Petino.

So conclusion: 2.1 is not friendly for touch bar?
RyanMisk 9:01 AM - 5 February, 2019
Yet everyone on the Serato team blames apple and rane 🙄
DJ Tecniq 7:41 AM - 6 February, 2019
For anyone having issues specifically with Touchbar Macs you may want to reinstall your OS freshly. This users seems to have no issues at all. 9 times out of 10 a fresh install of your system will fix everything. Don’t be a sheep...
youtu.be
RyanMisk 7:52 AM - 6 February, 2019
That doesn’t work.
I bought a new Mac and started fresh and it still dropped and distorted sound.
DJ Tecniq 7:56 AM - 6 February, 2019
Quote:
That doesn’t work.
I bought a new Mac and started fresh and it still dropped and distorted sound.
Damn...what kinda hardware you using. Sell that Touchbar then i guess.
Dj Ace 3:13 PM - 6 February, 2019
Mines works perfect 2017 and 2018 Touch Bar Mac with the Rane 72, no problems at all
Dj Ace 3:14 PM - 6 February, 2019
Using with turntables
RyanMisk 3:15 PM - 6 February, 2019
Rane SL boxes don’t work properly
Dj Ace 5:34 PM - 6 February, 2019
Also have trouble with Rane 62, and my Rane 68.
DJ Tecniq 5:48 PM - 6 February, 2019
Quote:
Also have trouble with Rane 62, and my Rane 68.
This unfortunately is Rane’s problem. They haven’t put out new drivers for their older mixers. They basically just said “buy our new shit” that’s bad business so i don’t support them.
popnwave 6:39 PM - 6 February, 2019
Quote:
This unfortunately is Rane’s problem. They haven’t put out new drivers for their older mixers. They basically just said “buy our new shit” that’s bad business so i don’t support them.

What drivers is Pioneer putting out for old stuff? Just because the S9 happens to work for now..
DJ Tecniq 7:50 PM - 6 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

What drivers is Pioneer putting out for old stuff? Just because the S9 happens to work for now..
At least Pioneer and anything DVS related has been covered already and there’s still Rekordbox. Rane basically shot themselves in the foot. To be precise their driver issues have lasted for a few years now.
Supagee 4:10 AM - 11 February, 2019
I am using a touch bar and once i shut it off to stay solid i have not have any issues with using SL3, S9, ddj - sx
djmalachi1 11:38 PM - 21 February, 2019
Since Serato won't post an satisfactory statement, I'll make it official: OLD SERATO HARDWARE IS NOT SUPPORTED WITH THE TOUCHBAR MACS. It's that simple. If you are having issues, upgrade your gear, or abandon ship and move to another DJ platform. Apple, Serato, and Rane all don't want to take responsibility, so it's on us to find a stable solution. With my SL2 I have tried completely reinstalling the OS, along with all the tweaks and driver and firmware updates I've found on every corner of the nets. Turning off the touchbar (switching to f keys) helped somewhat, but obviously us DJs can't perform professionally with "somewhat works" fixes.

Would be nice of Serato to give a list of "fully supported / no known issue" devices, but all I can say is that I ditched my SL2 box, and got a Mixars Duo mkII and haven't had any issues (yet?). After reading this thread several times, I can confidently state that the latency, hot-swap, drop out issues, etc are caused by UNSUPPORTED hardware such as the SL2. Simple as that, end of story.
popnwave 11:54 PM - 21 February, 2019
It's the T1/T2 chip, and it's messing up the bus. Apple's problem.
monkeyfunk 4:47 PM - 22 February, 2019
Quote:
I can confidently state that the latency, hot-swap, drop out issues, etc are caused by UNSUPPORTED hardware such as the SL2. Simple as that, end of story.

Well, that certainly tallies with my experience from moving from a Rane 62 to 72.
DJ Stygma 6:01 PM - 22 February, 2019
Here is an article on T2 Chip issues with audio devices

appleinsider.com
John Calipari 7:32 PM - 22 February, 2019
I'm sure Apple's gonna get right on that . . .
1122 3:25 PM - 8 March, 2019
Hello everyone! I just bought a MacBook Pro Touch Bar 2018

Works fine with Rane 72 but with the Sl3 box sometimes the laptop just shuts down.

Also it gets hot and sometimes the fans kick in. Am i the only one with this issue?
al83 4:03 PM - 8 March, 2019
Quote:
Hello everyone! I just bought a MacBook Pro Touch Bar 2018

Works fine with Rane 72 but with the Sl3 box sometimes the laptop just shuts down.

Also it gets hot and sometimes the fans kick in. Am i the only one with this issue?

13" or 15"? How do you mean it shuts down, is there any errors or freezes before hand or does the screen just go black suddenly and the laptop totally powers off?

Have you tried a thunderbolt 3 dock yet with the SL3? Plug everything into the dock then plug the dock into the Macbook.
1122 4:58 PM - 8 March, 2019
13”
No glitches just a shut down

I plugged it in the way you told me and it works fine so far, but the laptop is warm
popnwave 5:17 PM - 8 March, 2019
Quote:
I plugged it in the way you told me and it works fine so far, but the laptop is warm

Get a fan monitoring program like Macs Fan Control or smcFanControl (getting kinda old) and watch what your temps are. I wouldn't worry about heat unless you have your laptop in a closed space, even my old 2012 runs damn hot when I am doing video. Those apps will let you turn up the fans prior if you want to, just make sure to set it back to default when you aren't doing a set so you aren't putting unneeded wear on the fans.
1122 6:20 PM - 8 March, 2019
Works fine so far but after a few minutes the song display and the sound are not in sync
If i scratch i hear the sound first then i see the sample (i don’t know how to explain)
1122 11:12 AM - 11 March, 2019
So i've updated to Mojave and the latest Serato DJ

So far it works flawless, less heat and everything works smooth
al83 11:16 AM - 11 March, 2019
Quote:
So i've updated to Mojave and the latest Serato DJ

So far it works flawless, less heat and everything works smooth

Via a dock or direct into MacBook?
1122 11:33 AM - 11 March, 2019
Via Dock, I;m wating for the usb C cables to arrive

I notice that when i plug in my dock and use serato the laptop gets warm/hot
1122 1:49 PM - 11 March, 2019
UPDATE: So after playing around with it for 2 hours i get a delay from what i see visual on serato and what i hear. Do you guys get this?
Dj Ace 3:32 PM - 11 March, 2019
No
Diego Johnsson 1:01 PM - 8 April, 2019
Quote:
UPDATE: So after playing around with it for 2 hours i get a delay from what i see visual on serato and what i hear. Do you guys get this?

there is a new mojave update out, that should fix audio dropouts. i'll check it out after work...
1122 1:54 PM - 8 April, 2019
I have the latest Mojave update. It works super good w/ Rane 72, played for 4 hours and it went just fine. I get the super lag from time to time when playing with sl3
DJ JulioYEG 3:32 PM - 8 April, 2019
Quote:
. I get the super lag from time to time when playing with sl3

i get the super lag with the s9 on sierra with cdjs running timecode
DJ Tecniq 5:44 PM - 8 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
. I get the super lag from time to time when playing with sl3

i get the super lag with the s9 on sierra with cdjs running timecode
this is interesting I’m on Sierra w/DVS vinyl and do not have this problem however I’m on a fresh install of Sierra. Updating the OS caused some issues mainly w/video so i started over & wiped the computer with a fresh OS...been like butter ever since.
DJ Tecniq 5:46 PM - 8 April, 2019
^ However i am not using Touchbar i think this is why. Touchbar doesn’t seem like a reliable option for a working DJ however some users have zero issues w/Touchbar. I think the type of adapter you use is what matters.
DJ JulioYEG 7:07 PM - 8 April, 2019
Quote:
^ However i am not using Touchbar i think this is why. Touchbar doesn’t seem like a reliable option for a working DJ however some users have zero issues w/Touchbar. I think the type of adapter you use is what matters.

neither am i. Its weird because it just started happening. I have the 2015 pro
DJ Tecniq 7:32 PM - 8 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

very odd which firmware are you on? What’s disappointing is at the DMC battle this past weekend a lot of the djs had tracking issues w/Serato this is why i can’t wait for phase to be ready for retail. I also believe DVS has never been good enough since Scratchlive. It seems DVS is really sensitive when it comes to SDJ.
DJ JulioYEG 7:33 PM - 8 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

very odd which firmware are you on? What’s disappointing is at the DMC battle this past weekend a lot of the djs had tracking issues w/Serato this is why i can’t wait for phase to be ready for retail. I also believe DVS has never been good enough since Scratchlive. It seems DVS is really sensitive when it comes to SDJ.

it only happens when loading a new song like the waveforms indicate and the virtual decks on sdj stop spinning but audio still flows
DJ JulioYEG 7:33 PM - 8 April, 2019
pretty sure its default firm we cant update club stuff
DJ Tecniq 7:37 PM - 8 April, 2019
Quote:
pretty sure its default firm we cant update club stuff
The sound guy should update it if that’s the case.
Bondage 8:06 AM - 9 April, 2019
Quote:
I am also using a new 15" touch bar model and have no problems as long as I use the powered USB hub that Serato recommends.

What is the model hub you use??
popnwave 3:40 PM - 9 April, 2019
Quote:

That's why the TWELVES rule ;)
DJ Tecniq 4:16 PM - 9 April, 2019
Quote:
Eh that’s debatable id much rather want Phase so i can switch between real vinyl & Phase w/o issue. I still love my Technics but actually thinking about selling them for Gold Reloop 7000 mk2’s. Mainly for the ext pitch speeds & interchangeable RCA’s.
Bondage 6:50 PM - 9 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Eh that’s debatable id much rather want Phase so i can switch between real vinyl & Phase w/o issue. I still love my Technics but actually thinking about selling them for Gold Reloop 7000 mk2’s. Mainly for the ext pitch speeds & interchangeable RCA’s.

And with Phase you can switch to Traktor or Rekordbox ... I have some problems with my Twelve/Serato... I wish I had phase so i could check Traktor...
Bondage 6:53 PM - 9 April, 2019
Quote:

I had this also ...