Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Pro Tip: Library Clean-Up

9:42 PM, 25 Jan 2016
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
Gorian 9:43 PM - 26 January, 2016
So you identified the problem. You really don't see any easier solution than this? ;)

Come on, Serato. Just give us an "Delete all tracks that ain't in no folder!"-button. ^^
Code:E 10:28 PM - 26 January, 2016
Quote:
So you identified the problem. You really don't see any easier solution than this? ;)

Come on, Serato. Just give us an "Delete all tracks that ain't in no folder!"-button. ^^

No this option is great.

Thanks Serato! Pro Tips FTW
Dr_eamon 10:31 PM - 26 January, 2016
Since I've moved to a Laptop, I put all the tuunes I wanna use on a pen drive! Quick n easy ;)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 12:15 AM - 27 January, 2016
Quote:

We've got plans to make improvements to the library and library cleanup is an important part of DJ workflow we want to look at for sure. Hopefully we will be able to introduce features that make things like this even easier :)

For now though - here's a handy workaround!

sam.
DJ TeeOh 1:00 AM - 27 January, 2016
Quote:

^^exactly
DJ TeeOh 1:01 AM - 27 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

We've got plans to make improvements to the library and library cleanup is an important part of DJ workflow we want to look at for sure. Hopefully we will be able to introduce features that make things like this even easier :)

For now though - here's a handy workaround!

sam.

^^how about just writing the code to read the path to the files during analysis or start up. That way any files that don't have a path won't show in Serato?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:57 AM - 27 January, 2016
Library improvement is something planned for Serato DJ. There are plenty of things we can do (and would love to do). If you have suggestions for library improvements we recommend posting to our feature suggestion area serato.com

In the meantime, while these features aren't available we thought it'd be useful for DJs to know how to do this :)

sam.
Nick Bike 4:19 AM - 27 January, 2016
play count column pleeeeeeease. it's been a topic for years on the forum.
DjChachi PR 2:19 PM - 27 January, 2016
Excellent tip, definitely a Pro Tip.
KARL KANE 3:51 PM - 27 January, 2016
also possible:

- Go to "ALL"
- Select an ID3 TAG, you don't wanna use, like "Remixer" and make it visible (secondary click and make sure is's selected)
- Now press CMD+A to Select all tracks
- Double click in the "Remixer" field, hit backspace and return - it should delete this field from every track in "all"
- now go through your crates & smart crates, hit cmd+a to select all tracks
- double click in "Remixer" and type your DJ Name in it
- if you did this with all your crates, just go to "ALL" and sort it by "Remixer" from above to the bottom.
-Now scroll until the field "Remixer" is empty.
-Select the first track with that "Remixer" field empty (=tracks, that are not in your crates)
-scroll to the bottom
-select the last track with shift+click -> every track, that is not in your crates, should be selected now
-hit ctrl+shit+backspace to delete those from your hard drive.
Mike Czech 8:36 PM - 27 January, 2016
I think you might want to create a new Tip Type for overly complicated posts like this. Maybe "MacGyver Tips"?

I appreciate Sam's comment that improved library management is in the pipeline, but this just reads like a train wreck. Better "Smart Crate" features could handle this with one or two clicks. Hopefully soon you will be able to delete this "Pro Tip" entry, and use actual Pro software features to accomplish the same thing.
deejdave 4:14 AM - 28 January, 2016
You just can't win sometimes............... best advice would be to create and utilize a library system where this does not become an issue but in the absence of organization skills this is a great article.
Papa Midnight 5:07 AM - 28 January, 2016
Quote:
Library improvement is something planned for Serato DJ. There are plenty of things we can do (and would love to do). If you have suggestions for library improvements we recommend posting to our feature suggestion area serato.com

RELATIONAL DB!
mister_wilson 10:19 PM - 31 January, 2016
if these tips are too complex for you, just remember that deejays used to carry records in a milk crate and CDs in those flip books. it amazes me how much modern deejays want to spend no time curating their own music and organizing their own library. honestly, anybody on a professional level would have either a) figured this out a while ago or b) come up with another work around c) been very thankful for this post.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 2:00 AM - 4 February, 2016
These are tips, you're welcome to try them out or leave them right here on the internet :)

We'll keep posting them because there are plenty of DJs that find these useful!

We're also always keen on product feedback and feature suggestions - serato.com

Cheers,

Sam.
DeeJayKilla 3:55 PM - 4 February, 2016
I have an easier way. if you do not use the comment section of your tracks.

Create a new Crate. Name it ex: "XOX105" and move all the Crates you want to keep under that Crate. Next, create another Crate and name it "Junk". Now, go to 'All' and highlight all songs (CMD + A) and move them to the Junk Crate. Now, go to the XOX105 crate, highlight all the songs in the crate (CMD + A) and change the comment on all songs to your DJ Name. Now go to Junk, search (CMD + F) the songs with your DJ name, and ALT + DELETE to remove them from the Junk crate. Once you are done, you will have all your unwanted songs in the Junk crate. You can CMD + SHIFT + DELETE to move them to your trash bin. You can move the crates you want out of the XOX105 crate.
Mike Czech 6:25 PM - 4 February, 2016
Quote:
These are tips, you're welcome to try them out or leave them right here on the internet :)

We'll keep posting them because there are plenty of DJs that find these useful!

We're also always keen on product feedback and feature suggestions - serato.com

Cheers,

Sam.

Sorry if I came off as grumpy Sam, I appreciate the posts trying to help us get through the real struggles in dealing with big unwieldy libraries.

However, I am continually frustrated by the lack of built-in options available to SDJ users. I find myself managing files in iTunes with their much more robust Smart Playlist features, and in several other apps (won't name them here) to tag, sort, filter, and connect tracks. I would really love to see Serato push the envelope in this area, this has been a blind spot in the software for years. When SSL came out and we all had like 500 songs, there wasn't much of a need for this. Now 10 years later, it's a huge issue.

Thanks for all your hard work!
DJ ILLEE 6:45 PM - 5 February, 2016
Or you could just create a back up of ur _serato folder and with serato closed delete your library or just simply rename it so serato doesn't see it. When you open serato next it will create a new library file with only what's in your crates.
lindsaymar 6:59 PM - 8 February, 2016
I'm so happy to hear your working on library management(/filters?). It's something that's so needed.
maarawoe 8:01 PM - 10 February, 2016
Quote:

In the meantime, while these features aren't available we thought it'd be useful for DJs to know how to do this :)

sam.

When? The improved library is something I am looking for and currently my only concern. Knowing it will be improved sooner than in version 3 or whatever would make me stop deciding moving to some sw having better library....rekordbox....
lindsaymar 10:32 PM - 10 February, 2016
Quote:
When? The improved library is something I am looking for and currently my only concern. Knowing it will be improved sooner than in version 3 or whatever would make me stop deciding moving to some sw having better library....rekordbox....

Rekordbox really does look like it's library filter/tagging system is amazing. It's something that Serato should jump on and improve quick. I'm sure you're not the only one out there being tempted.
I know I keep expecting to see something every SDJ update and have found it strange that library filtering hasn't been getting any attention from Serato. It's one of the glaring weak points of Serato.
H2H 3:53 PM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:

sam.

It's already done. We requested "Folder Sync" for years and still waiting : serato.com
maarawoe 7:44 AM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

sam.

It's already done. We requested "Folder Sync" for years and still waiting : serato.com

Sorry Sam but try to look at it from our point of view - from the point of the customers who knows nothing about the roadmap and are disappointed as almost nothing new what was requested is implemented.
The same with the smart sub crates, tags, matching tracks etc....
Many requests but nothing new in library in the past YEARS...
Saying "its something planned" or something you "would love to do" is getting sounding ridiculous everytime someone of you says that on the forum.
Why the hell you can't finally do that instead of repeating it would be a nice feature to have there...??? :-(
I guess that the next release will be almost pulselocker related so in the next 5 versions you will be fixing pulselocker bugs you eill introduce what means there is almost nothing to look forward in 2016 expect hearing "its something we would love to do"...
MIX MASTER DJ SEAN V 5:12 AM - 7 March, 2016
SERATO KEEPS CRASHING ON ME - WHAT DO I NEED TO DO ? PLEASE HELP ???
lindsaymar 10:06 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:

Many requests but nothing new in library in the past YEARS...

I guess that the next release will be almost pulselocker related so in the next 5 versions you will be fixing pulselocker bugs you eill introduce what means there is almost nothing to look forward in 2016 expect hearing "its something we would love to do"...

I'm hearing you on that Maarawoe. Pulse Locker looks like it's gonna take up more of Serato's resources instead of looking at improving the basics of dj'ing that all users can benefit from i.e Better library management/filters/tagging...

I just hope that Pyro is a catalyst to Serato looking into their library search functionality.
marijacoold 10:29 AM - 7 September, 2016
Krojam Cleaner
KING-TUBBY 7:43 PM - 6 May, 2017
Im trying to analyze files from Pulselocker, that are corrupt, and I cant find them as PL is a mess to search tracks in lists. So when it gets 4 corrupt files, im screwed. A delete files button would be very handy, as I need to analyze 3000+ tracks but keep failing at 60
clayman 5:31 AM - 18 May, 2017
Try using Long Path Tool, it works for me.
jclass 6:19 PM - 9 October, 2017
Does this work for songs in subcrates? I followed this step by step and deleted the songs at the top level crate i.e. HIP HOP to clear out my crates. As per this step:

"Open each crate, select All songs (CMD + A), and press ALT + DELETE (This deletes the tracks that are in the crate completely from the Serato DJ library, but not from the hard disk) If you use Smart Crates delete those too."

After reloading everything, I noticed that all the songs in my JUNK crate was basically everything that existed in my subcrates + non-crated items. Did I miss a step? If I permanently delete the items from my JUNK crate, it will remove them from any other subcrates they were living in as well.
MathiasDokkedalHolm 10:41 PM - 15 February, 2018
Jeeebus.. what a long road.....

in OS: Make a folder for you music on f.x. the desktop, with the folderstruckture you want. (fx. house,rock,dance)

in serato: move all your crates in to another create, so they become subfolders. Then navigate to the headcrate and sort the music by filepath.
then open the "files window" i serato and drag them to the folder you want in the newly created music folder.

after you have moved the music by draging them from all your crates at the same time, to your new clean musicfolder, all that is left behind is to be deleted :)

Done.
DJ G-Love 1:44 AM - 2 March, 2018
Any improvements on this now with Serato DJ Pro?
Mike Czech 5:43 PM - 31 January, 2019
Quote:

sam.

3+ years after Sam posted this, there has been ZERO library improvements made. Anyone from Serato care to make an updated comment?
hazzac181 7:19 AM - 20 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Library improvement is something planned for Serato DJ. There are plenty of things we can do (and would love to do). If you have suggestions for library improvements we recommend posting to our feature suggestion area

sam.

3+ years after Sam posted this, there has been ZERO library improvements made. Anyone from Serato care to make an updated comment?

It's fairly ridiculous. Such a pain in the ass to manage my library.
deejdave 8:31 PM - 20 March, 2019
I can understand the want for this feature but I would be lying if I said I didn't love Serato's library management as it is. Simple yes but rock solid and I don't know of any other (main) DJ software that allows you to use external libraries with the possibility to move from machine to machine at will as if you were using it the whole time. This is more of an automation than a performance feature so I can understand it being a bit lower on the spectrum but I do hope you guys see it happen eventually.

Quote:
Such a pain in the ass to manage my library.

As far as creating a library from scratch maybe it could be a pain but managing? Not so much. I was lucky and kind of went with the "big picture" kind of thinking from day one (YEARS ago) and all I can say on that is start right ............ end right.
hazzac181 3:55 AM - 27 March, 2019
Quote:
I can understand the want for this feature but I would be lying if I said I didn't love Serato's library management as it is. Simple yes but rock solid and I don't know of any other (main) DJ software that allows you to use external libraries with the possibility to move from machine to machine at will as if you were using it the whole time. This is more of an automation than a performance feature so I can understand it being a bit lower on the spectrum but I do hope you guys see it happen eventually.

Quote:
all I can say on that is start right ............ end right.

You've hit the nail on the head. I never organised my library or crates appropriately when I first started, and now I've spent countless hours working with Serato's limited feature set to organise things. Even the ability to automatically update the 'all' tab as new songs are added to my library would go a long way.
deejdave 11:19 PM - 27 March, 2019
You could always use "Auto-Import" serato.com
DjMellyMelsc 11:51 PM - 8 April, 2019
I try to delete my library and delete the _serato_ on my computer. I started Serato all my create and music was gone. Serato then start adding music back to the library it even added the orage ? files came back to PLEASE SOMEONE HELP I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW
steven crag 11:05 PM - 3 July, 2019
I highly recommend Long Path Tool it automatically deletes the folder you selected, including all its files and subfolders, regardless of their path length (even if they are in a network folder).