Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DJM 900 NXS 2 & CDJ 2000 NXS 2

Dj Mikey d 6:03 PM - 12 January, 2016
So they were announced today... I guess it's safe to assume that eventually the 900nxs 2 will be added to the expansion pack for serato dj.

I wonder how serato will tackle the support of the 2000 nxs2. Personally I don't see myself getting the players if serato will limit it's functionality with the lack of some HID features carried over.

What do you guys think?
Davideon 8:35 PM - 12 January, 2016
Another money spinner for pioneer. I'm so bored of them
akaTRAP 3:18 PM - 13 January, 2016
Oh look, more DJ equipment I can't afford.

In all seriousness, I want. idk why but I want. Then again I geek out at a lot of shiny DJ equipment I can't afford. Can't see Serato supporting the NXS 2 line-up anytime soon. Pioneer is too busy trying to push Rekordbox DJ.
Ragman 6:11 PM - 13 January, 2016
Quote:
Oh look, more DJ equipment I can't afford.

In all seriousness, I want. idk why but I want. Then again I geek out at a lot of shiny DJ equipment I can't afford. [...].

It's called being a "Gear Whore". I've had this affliction for over 20 years now. ;-)
Davideon 1:30 PM - 14 January, 2016
I'm genuinely surprisded they released this with a cd drive
djenzyme 4:32 PM - 14 January, 2016
HID won't even be comparable to standalone. This is already apparent with the XDJ-1000 which also has a touchscreen and on screen keyboard etc.

To get the best out of these, you will require Rekordbox...
_ffl_ 6:01 PM - 14 January, 2016
I bought the DJM-900NXS few months ago. The only part I'm interested on DJM-900NXS2 is to see if they solved the hissing issues these units have. The output sound quality is studio grade, on my DJM-800.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:27 PM - 14 January, 2016
DJM 800 is not studio grade sound, that's one of the worst mixers I've ever heard. How that became a standard ill never know.
djamer 6:58 PM - 14 January, 2016
Quote:
DJM 800 is not studio grade sound, that's one of the worst mixers I've ever heard. How that became a standard ill never know.

so true..
BDoll94 2:18 AM - 15 January, 2016
Does anyone know which software would pair best with the NXS 2? I've been using plain old Serato, and I'm not all that impressed really. I used to use Traktor pro, and I'm thinking about copping a NXS 2 setup! Just wondering if I should switch to Scratch live, or something. I would like to switch from regular old Serato to something else! Thanks yall!
Dj Mikey d 2:32 AM - 15 January, 2016
Quote:
Does anyone know which software would pair best with the NXS 2? I've been using plain old Serato, and I'm not all that impressed really. I used to use Traktor pro, and I'm thinking about copping a NXS 2 setup! Just wondering if I should switch to Scratch live, or something. I would like to switch from regular old Serato to something else! Thanks yall!

You're best bet is to try out rekordbox dj (newest dj software out there to date). Scratch live is discontinued and there's no way any new features are coming out of it let alone support for the application.

Furthermore, there's debate if serato dj will support the new hardware from day one given pioneers new software. In my opinion I think it will come, however, I don't think the functionality will be as good compared to rekordbox dj.
Dj Mikey d 2:33 AM - 15 January, 2016
Your**
akaTRAP 9:40 PM - 15 January, 2016
If Serato DJ won't support the XDJ 700 (no word on that as of now), I can't imagine them supporting the newest Pioneer mixers, especially considering Pioneer firing some serious shots with Rekordbox DJ.

idk why I care. I can't afford that shit anyway lol
_ffl_ 4:37 PM - 19 January, 2016
Quote:

I was surprised to notice the hissing noise on both my DDJ-SZ and DJM-900NXS. After an investigation with Pionner they agreed there is a "barely noticeable" white noise, confirmed also by other users on their forums (while testing the mixer in a studio environment). I actually found another person who had the same issues, on Amazon: www.amazon.com

Regards
Marco1 2:37 PM - 19 February, 2016
Today I got the NXS2 package and sounds amazing.... I had previously the DDJ-SZ and the this mixer is way much better....

I would like to serato support the mixer with some expansion pack, otherwise my options are buy a rane or denon interface right?
The RaF 2:13 PM - 6 April, 2016
I am also wondering about the DJM-900NXS2 and Serato support.
Any recommendations on a flagship mixer with a Serato sound-card?
I have a DDJ-SP1 and a pair of 1200s.

Thanks guys.
Rebelguy 4:33 PM - 6 April, 2016
Quote:

Thanks guys.

Allen & Heath DB4.
akaTRAP 2:45 AM - 7 April, 2016
Quote:

Thanks guys.

depends on what kind of mixer you want and what kind of DJ you are.
The RaF 1:00 AM - 8 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks guys.

Allen & Heath DB4.

Thanks Rebelguy, I ordered a DB4 today.
knox001 9:15 AM - 30 May, 2016
Any updates or a roadmap on the DJM 900 NXS 2 as supported with the Clubkit within Serato DJ?
dj-freestyle 8:35 PM - 2 June, 2016
hoping for a answer to but with pioneer doing there own software have a feeling this is a touchy subject. pioneer reps claimed in feb they where trying to get this done and so far nothing. would love serato to chime in. I really don't want to have to switch software at this point. I am happy with serato.
SirForce 9:59 AM - 4 June, 2016
CDJ2000-NXS2 serato.com

DJM900-NXS2 serato.com

There may be a couple other threads. I recall a post about watch for an email newsletter update but was not able to find it at the moment.
tarekberro 12:22 PM - 25 June, 2016
According to pioneer, their CDJ2000NXS2's are awaiting support from Serato. Everyone knows that the industry club standard will be the pioneer cdjs and djm setup for years to come. So if serato wants its users to be able to plug and play in clubs around the world, they will have to support the NXS2 setup. I just bought a pair of CDJ2000NXS2 and a DJM900NXS2 and have learned to just play off of the decks without a laptop. But it would be nice to use serato for its far more superior track analysis and library navigation.
maarawoe 6:20 AM - 26 June, 2016
Quote:
use serato for its far more superior track analysis and library navigation.

You are now joking, right?
akaTRAP 3:24 AM - 27 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I started using Rekordbox recently and I have to 100% agree with this. No hate on Serato (obviously or else why would I be here?) but there are things that Rekordbox just does better than Serato, and library management is one of them.

Track analysis is another thing. It does better with BPM but the grids needs some work. A good portion of mine are wrong.
Versipellis 8:28 AM - 30 June, 2016
+1

Still waiting on ya, Serato.
Dave The One 3:19 AM - 7 July, 2016
Using the NXS2 package without Rekordbox or laptop. Only used rekordbox for library management; the beat grids and analysis need to be improved but I painstakingly fixed my library track by track and it's spot on. Using the DDJ SP1 (just plug into one of the cdj's) without serato or rekordbox is awesome. Pioneer definitely raised the bar with the nxs2 package.
SirForce 10:09 AM - 7 July, 2016
I guess ill bite the bullet and get my RB dialed in as well. Thanks Dave the One for the feedback.
BRUSS 11:03 AM - 7 July, 2016
+1
Ragman 10:52 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
Using the NXS2 package without Rekordbox or laptop. Only used rekordbox for library management; the beat grids and analysis need to be improved but I painstakingly fixed my library track by track and it's spot on. Using the DDJ SP1 (just plug into one of the cdj's) without serato or rekordbox is awesome. Pioneer definitely raised the bar with the nxs2 package.

Yeah that setup looks ill, but damn the price is just to steep for me. You have any vids of you using your setup?
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:59 AM - 10 July, 2016
Interesting that one can connect the SP1 directly to an CDJ set up.

What functions work whilst connected to CDJ
SirForce 11:36 AM - 10 July, 2016
Quote:
Interesting that one can connect the SP1 directly to an CDJ set up.

What functions work whilst connected to CDJ

Basically the hot cues and loop rolls for up to four decks.

The sync, slip, censor and auto loop buttons are also mapped. Thats is all at this time when using the sp1 with cdj2000nxs in prolink mode.
SirForce 11:36 AM - 10 July, 2016
Dave The One 11:02 PM - 30 July, 2016
Just checked back in, sorry it's been a while. I haven't made any videos of my setup; none that i'd want anybody to see; lol. I'll throw up a link to a picture (took over the dining room table for now; my wife is pissed; we're looking for a new house and I outgrew my current home studio)

Someone mentioned the price being steep; you gotta hustle out there. I deal with three online retailers and maximize those 15 and sometimes 20 percent coupons. They also have flex pay, three payments over time. I payed under 1900 each for the cdjnxs2's and djm nxs2.

Seriously, no bs'ing, I have the ns7 III and to me that's the controller to have if using serato, the nxs2 system standalone is 90 percent equal to that system feature wise, i say 90 percent because of it stopping short with the cue and rolls with the ddjsp1 connected to the cdj.

Mixing just using your usb flash drive or hard drive with no laptop, seriously it's great. I will say the NS7III comes close to replicating but that laptop needs to be connected.

The built in FX of the 900nxs2 mixer is the best out there; it's even better sounding than some of the rmx 1000 stuff. Connecting the rmx 1000 or Ipad app for 20.00 opens up insane fx possibilities; all post fader too. If they come out with a rotary kit i will have died and gone to heaven.

let me see about linking to a picture of my setup and looking for a video or possibly making a video showcasing the features I mention.

Peace

Dave
Dave The One 11:59 PM - 30 July, 2016
drive.google.com

That's the nxs2 system. Cdj's
wired via Ethernet to Ethernet 8 port switch (seen in back left) out to djm mixer.
Cdj on left has connection via USB to ddj sp1.
Cdj on right has USB thumb drive. Ethernet connection allows both decks to load and play tracks from one USB drive (can do this with up to 4 decks)
Ethernet connection also transfers bpm information from cdj's to mixer for perfect Bpm matching and sync (yes I use it)

Video coming next (just did a quick one to demo sp1 and quick mix fx on djm)
Dave The One 12:07 AM - 31 July, 2016
Oh also,
I have all kinds of crazy cabling; master out to rockit 8 speakers via mogami platinum xlr cables.
I have pro co spdif connections from cdj to djm (blue cables) and Oyaide neo Eva cables (green and white) to do a/b comparisons for sound quality between spdif and rca (the oyaide to a cables are fierce and can hang with spdif) I use only wav and flac files.

Here is the video, completely unrehearsed, this is not a demo of skill or anythjng, just a demo of ddj sp1. Sorry I forgot to demo the roll functions; roll works just like it does on serato DJ system with pads.

youtu.be
Dave The One 12:09 AM - 31 July, 2016
Sorry for the typos Eva =rca cables. to a =rca
deejdave 12:17 AM - 31 July, 2016
How are you connecting the RMX-1000 iPad app to your NXS2 Setup?
Dave The One 12:29 AM - 31 July, 2016
As you can see I don't currently have one connected.

There's a separate USB connection on the 900nxs2 dial right next to the fx send/return. When the iPad is connected via USB with the rmx app it works just like the rmx hardware connected via fx send/return except it's USB instead of 1/4 inch or RCA connections.
Dave The One 12:32 AM - 31 July, 2016
There's videos out there explaining it.

youtu.be
deejdave 12:49 AM - 31 July, 2016
Exactly what I was looking for. Actually could not find the info but I understand why now. I never considered the now obvious fact that this works with Pioneer HW/SW but would not work with Serato.................... again obviously as it is not even supported LOL.
G-rod 8:14 PM - 6 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Rekordbox is the joke!
Serato library management is WAY MUCH BETTER than pioneer's software. And when you think about using itunes playlists and Cammelot Key notations, its ridiculous how SDJ is so good, and much beter.
Dave The One 5:29 AM - 7 August, 2016
I use rekordbox exclusively now.

I do all my analysis in Ableton live, export the track as wav warped and quantized.
Then open up in rekordbox, 9 times out ifn10 analysis is on point and sometimes with certain songs I just have to type the exact tempo into rekordbox, move the first marker and boom the best grid is perfect.

Used this method for serato too; avoided lots of headaches relying on serato solely to analyze or heathers tracks.

With that said; rekordbox has reached a point where it's neck and neck with serato and soon will surpass with their own mixtape feature and possible daw expansion.
amsioso 8:25 AM - 15 September, 2016
Please go to this Pioneer's forum link and tell what you think. Maybe If we are all together they listen to us...
forums.pioneerdj.com
Versipellis 6:48 PM - 15 September, 2016
Quote:
Please go to this Pioneer's forum link and tell what you think. Maybe If we are all together they listen to us...
forums.pioneerdj.com

Are you even bothering to read the threads? Fault isn't with Pioneer, it's with Serato.
amsioso 6:58 PM - 15 September, 2016
Look in the link and You Will understand. Thanks for your help!!
deejdave 7:54 PM - 15 September, 2016
Has almost nothing to do with Serato.
amsioso 8:50 PM - 15 September, 2016
Pioneer is blocking some functions. The gane is on Pioneer first.
dibb 8:54 PM - 15 September, 2016
I've read the thread and it's pretty ugly over there..

Do I understand correctly that you can't use the DJM900NXS2 sound card in other software, without having RBDJ up and running? That would piss me off big time.
amsioso 8:55 PM - 15 September, 2016
Yes!!!! Thanks!!! Somebody understand me and other users!!!
Thanks!!
dibb 9:03 PM - 15 September, 2016
Not including a RBDJ / DVS license when you buy a DJM900NXS2 is not nice, but you know that when you buy the package.

To deliberately cripple a $ 2K+ USB Class Compliant mixer in order to sell your software...? That you couldn't know when you buy it and is really really nasty.
amsioso 9:09 PM - 15 September, 2016
NO!! Please go to the Pioneer forum's link.
When i pre order My mixer Pioneer announced in his own web, in the mixer "main features", "Rekorbox Dj dvs pack plus"
They announced a "software" as a mixer main function. Making people think that the software were included.
Also after all this they changed want they say in his web 2 or 3 times.
Understand me?
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:56 AM - 16 September, 2016
Hi All,

I have some good news,

Serato will be officially supporting the DJM900NXS2.

No word on when, but yeah it will definitely be happening.
baileymonster 1:33 AM - 16 September, 2016
that is great news!!!
will it be covered via club kit (just confirming) or will you serato create a new product layer and charge extra for existing club kit owners ???

im guessing it is the regular club kit!!!
Versipellis 4:45 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
Hi All,

I have some good news,

What about CDJ2000NXS2's?
amsioso 6:09 AM - 16 September, 2016
Good!!!
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:27 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:

Do I understand correctly that you can't use the DJM900NXS2 sound card in other software, without having RBDJ up and running? That would piss me off big time.

looks like it, one poster said he couldnt get it to work with ableton without RB opened. Thats just a LoL moment.

Thats pure evil.
amsioso 7:47 AM - 16 September, 2016
Cant understand why are You doing that, way are You so helpfull...
Have You tried to use every channel in Ableton?
Yes, Pio blocks some channels in his driver. It's all about Pio's policy.
If You install RB and have It running in your computer You Will be able to use those channels.
Do You understand Now?
Cant understand why Do You find Funny those nxs2 user's problems.
Thanks for your help.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:09 AM - 16 September, 2016
If memory serves me right Rane hardware worked like this way years back. In the scratchlive era.

The only thing it worked with was Scratch Live.

Quote:
Cant understand why are You doing that, way are You so helpfull...
Have You tried to use every channel in Ableton?
Yes, Pio blocks some channels in his driver. It's all about Pio's policy.
If You install RB and have It running in your computer You Will be able to use those channels.
Do You understand Now?
Cant understand why Do You find Funny those nxs2 user's problems.
Thanks for your help.

By the way are you planning on using Serato with the Nexus II or you want pioneer to open up the hardware to all applications as it should.
Versipellis 12:50 PM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

looks like it, one poster said he couldnt get it to work with ableton without RB opened. Thats just a LoL moment.

Thats pure evil.

I call complete bullshit on this. I use the DJM900NXS2's sound card for my Ableton-Serato DJ sets ALL the time, and have done so since I picked up my mixer months ago.
amsioso 12:55 PM - 16 September, 2016
Can You explain how?? Because i and so many cant use some channels unless You have running in your computer Rekordbox Dj dvs plus pack.
dibb 12:56 PM - 16 September, 2016
Windows vs. Mac maybe? Because it's probably driver related..
Versipellis 1:01 PM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
Can You explain how?? Because i and so many cant use some channels unless You have running in your computer Rekordbox Dj dvs plus pack.

I don't use Rekordbox, never have, and probably never will. I plug USB-A into my mixer, plug USB-B into my computer, hit the toggle, and it's enabled. It's really not that difficult. Works for all channels. I can also use it in reverse to record from a channel to Ableton.

Quote:

I'm on Win 10. Ableton picks up the ASIO drivers perfectly fine. Probably what happened is the person didn't install the DJM900-NXS2 drivers and assumed the original DJM900 drivers work.
amsioso 1:03 PM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:

No, It's the same. Thanks.
Versipellis 1:05 PM - 16 September, 2016
Proof:
imgur.com
amsioso 1:17 PM - 16 September, 2016
Thats very good. If You open here imputs and outputs You Will realised that can Not choose "control tome phono" channels. The same as in Virtual Dj.
Do You understand now?
deejdave 1:19 PM - 16 September, 2016
Are you speaking of the limitation of only having specific two channels to use DVS on? This is nothing new if so and applied to the original Djm-900 nexus as well.
amsioso 1:31 PM - 16 September, 2016
No. Because If You are running in second instance Rbdj You can choose those channels. With 900nxs there isnt that problem.
I see It very clear no? Pioneer dont want us to use those "tone control channels" unless You buy Rekorbox Dj.
amsioso 1:34 PM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
Thats very good. If You open here imputs and outputs You Will realised that can Not choose "control tome phono" channels. The same as in Virtual Dj.
Do You understand now?

Sorry "control channels" because there are control tone phono, control tone line, control tone digital.
Versipellis 1:37 PM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
Do You understand now?

Yes, and my post wasn't a response to you. It was a response to the guy saying Ableton doesn't work with the NXS2. It does. Also there's no such thing as "control tone channels" in Ableton.

Quote:
Are you speaking of the limitation of only having specific two channels to use DVS on? This is nothing new if so and applied to the original Djm-900 nexus as well.

This.
Little Martin 8:00 PM - 22 November, 2016
Quote:
Hi All,

I have some good news,

Any updates here? I'm resident at a kind of big deal club that fortunately has both the nxs & nxs2 mixers & cdjs. However when they bring in international touring talent I am the opener instead of headliner and all the tech riders now require nxs2 gear for these usb guys. The venue owner is now asking me to switch over to usb because they don't want any issues with hooking up my sl3 box etc as a workaround. This is putting me in an awkward position to say the least.

I have been a Serato SL/DJ user since Christmas 2005. I've yet to meet a single DJ that uses Rekordbox software live.
SirForce 8:18 PM - 22 November, 2016
Quote:
I've yet to meet a single DJ that uses Rekordbox software live.

give it a little more time... :wink: :wink:
Dave The One 8:22 PM - 22 November, 2016
It's due out any minute. I gave up serato when I bought the nxs2 system.
USB is perfect for me. I don't have all my tracks gridded, play mostly by ear but i have gotten used to rekorbox I just prefer USB with. I computers involved and it's fantastic.
Little Martin 8:27 PM - 22 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I've yet to meet a single DJ that uses Rekordbox software live.

give it a little more time... :wink: :wink:

This post is almost a year old. In that time, every week I've watched everyone from the Vegas club killers (Serato) to the biggest names in EDM & Underground (USB/Traktor/Abelton) in the US & Ibiza. Not one is using Rekordbox DJ. How much time do we need to wait lol.
Little Martin 8:31 PM - 22 November, 2016
Quote:
It's due out any minute. I gave up serato when I bought the nxs2 system.
USB is perfect for me. I don't have all my tracks gridded, play mostly by ear but i have gotten used to rekorbox I just prefer USB with. I computers involved and it's fantastic.

USB is fine for many formats. No problem with that, and it was working for many long before nxs2. For speed, personally I prefer Serato.

Problem I have is with Rekordbox DJ, which hasn't exactly set the DJ world on fire lol.
deejdave 11:13 PM - 22 November, 2016
Rekordbox DJ is certainly not being accepted or embraced as much as some were predicting or even saying to this day but it is no doubt a solid solution thus far. Trust this WILL be out by years end as promised though. Serato has already learned from not delivering on deadlines years ago thus the reason an actual projection is so rare with them. Given what we know any deadline given can be taken as gospel. Also why they said years end and no actual date as some are asking for here.
akaTRAP 9:21 PM - 24 November, 2016
Quote:
Rekordbox DJ is certainly not being accepted or embraced as much as some were predicting or even saying to this day but it is no doubt a solid solution thus far.

I switched over to it from Serato DJ this summer. There are a lot of things it does right (flexible beat grids are better, 60fps waveforms, 64-BIT CLIENT, FINALLY), but they need to improve their analyzing process, and instant doubles should be better implemented. Don't get me started on the S9 not being officially supported. That's just.......stupid. WHY?!

But didn't Serato & Pioneer say this was going to happen come December?
deejdave 9:30 PM - 24 November, 2016
This as in the s9 supporting rekordbox dj no. If u mean nxs2 support for serato dj they said by the end of the year.
akaTRAP 9:31 PM - 24 November, 2016
No I mean I thought I heard them say the NXS2 setup was supposed to be fully supported by December.
deejdave 9:35 PM - 24 November, 2016
serato.com

"Before end of this year"

Prior to this they were saying it is coming but no word as to when as seen above in this very thread.
deejdave 9:39 PM - 24 November, 2016
Actually just got news it is live now via public beta :)
OneCrazyDJ 9:58 AM - 26 November, 2016
Thank you!!! Finally!!
SirForce 12:39 PM - 26 November, 2016
YASSS! Thank you!!! Finally!!
Troy Michael DJ 5:46 AM - 27 November, 2016
Anyone know if the 2KNXS2 will show a moving wave form with Serator in HID?
deejdave 6:14 AM - 27 November, 2016
Quote:
Anyone know if the 2KNXS2 will show a moving wave form with Serator in HID?

Does not.
deejdave 6:15 AM - 27 November, 2016
Color Cue points work though so that is pretty freakin cool!!
DJ_CMartin 9:55 AM - 27 November, 2016
I switched to rekordbox from serato this spring due to NXS2 incompatibility and lack of support in general for el capitan.

Rekordbox pros:
--Easy to make a back-up USB stick from your rekordbox playlist
--Only need to plug the 2 CDJ USBs in the laptop to perform-no need to plug in a mixer to unlock the software.

Rekordbox cons:
--No camelot keys
--Software is not as polished as serato. Very stiff and mechanical feeling. Auto-sync behaves strangely. Annoying work flow issues such as needing to hit the return key before turning the knob to scroll through a playlist.
--rekordbox is NOT backwards compatible with old CDJ firmware and CDJ firmware is NOT downgradeable. i.e. you are stuck using the latest versions of rekordbox if you want to plug your laptop into the house gear.
--Since rekordbox added video to their software there is a bug causing sync/master tempo/master pitch to stop working 2-3 hours into sets with people using macbooks and CDJs (and possibly others).

For these reasons, I am pretty excited about the serato beta compatible with NXS2. Was playing with it last night and it worked flawlessly.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:58 AM - 28 November, 2016
Quick one guys.

Do I need a DVS pack to use the CDJ in HID mode?

I have no intention of using time code Cds or TT vinyl.

I already have Serato DJ Stand alone.

By my understanding Club Kit = Serato DJ + DVS Licence
SirForce 11:03 AM - 28 November, 2016
Cdj work in HID mode for free as long as you have a licensed free or club kit interface. Free license example include Rane hardware sl2 sl3 sl4 and mixers such as Rane 62 and pioneer ddj Sx or Sz sx2 etc... can use cdjs in hid mode to control one of the four decks.

Club Kit is required to unlock the pioneer djm 900nxs and nxs2 mixers and certain other brand mixers see club kit for specifics.

You should be able to use HID in your example
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:24 AM - 28 November, 2016
So if I turn up to a club that has the new Pioneer nexus 900 mixer and new CDJ 2000 nexus I'm golden without any need for extra purchases.

Bear in mind that I already have Serato DJ standalone, not club kit, not DVS expansion.
wadup 12:20 PM - 28 November, 2016
You need a club kit license to use a pioneer 900 nxs mixers, so if you have a standalone license already all u need now is the DVS expansion then your gold.
SirForce 1:10 PM - 28 November, 2016
Club kit is required to unlock the DJM900Nxs2 and ithet club kit mixers for serato dj.

HID mode for serato DJ deck control is free ... say you have a pioneer S9 with CDJ2000NXS2 players... the players work in HID no extra expansion kits would be required.
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:26 PM - 28 November, 2016
it's clear now.

funny how Seratos plug in and extras are super confusing now.

so is this what I need to buy? serato.com

says in the details that it will also allow DVS with DVS enabled controller eg the MCX 8000 which I also have.
SirForce 2:07 PM - 28 November, 2016
Quote:

so is this what I need to buy? serato.com

says in the details that it will also allow DVS with DVS enabled controller eg the MCX 8000 which I also have.

That link is for DVS only for hardware that supports DVS.

If you want to use DJM-900NXS or DJM900NXS2 or other club kit hardware - this is what you need
store.serato.com

The list of club kit hardware is in that link NOTE it does not show DJM-900NXS2 but that is included. Club kit also opens up DVS on these mixers.

As far as I am aware if you want DVS on the Denon you'll need a additional DVS license but I am not 100% certain... you're right it's a tricky thing with so many combinations.
SirForce 2:11 PM - 28 November, 2016
I just read the Club kit page I just linked - the way I read it is if you already OWN a full Serato DJ license - not one unlocked by a supported controllers/interfaces that include full Serato DJ and OWN the DVS expansion you're good to go.

Personally I don't own "Serato DJ", I just have FX expansion packs, and serato Video. I use a Rane 62/64 and just purchased Club Kit to unlock the DJM-900NXS2 mixer.

Maybe I now own Serato DJ as a result of Club Kit. What a mess. Hopefully its clear as mud now.
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:39 PM - 28 November, 2016
Quote:
I just read the Club kit page I just linked - the way I read it is if you already OWN a full Serato DJ license - not one unlocked by a supported controllers/interfaces that include full Serato DJ and OWN the DVS expansion you're good to go.

Personally I don't own "Serato DJ", I just have FX expansion packs, and serato Video. I use a Rane 62/64 and just purchased Club Kit to unlock the DJM-900NXS2 mixer.

Maybe I now own Serato DJ as a result of Club Kit. What a mess. Hopefully its clear as mud now.

Now you see why I'm confused 😆

Serato says Club Kit = Serato DJ + DVS expansion

It also states that the kit bundle helps to save a few quid on buying individually

I have the Serato DJ which I bought for a intro controller I had. I also have full gear that unlocks Serato eg the S9, SX, etc which does not matter in this situation.

Do I need to buy the DVS Expansion in addition to be able to use a Djm 900 nexus?

I think I'm clear on using hid with the CDJs, to my knowledge they will work say for example I pair the CDJ with my 9 or 62.

I emailed Serato yesterday and haven't gotten response.
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:46 PM - 28 November, 2016
Cut and pasted from the Club Kit page

The Serato DJ Club Kit works plug-and-play with supported hardware in the club.

Currently Supported:
Pioneer DJ DJM-850
Pioneer DJ DJM-900NXS
Pioneer DJ DJM-900NXS2 (currently in SDJ1.9.5 public beta)
Allen & Heath Xone:DB2
Allen & Heath Xone:DB4
Allen & Heath Xone:43c
Rane MP2015

The Club Kit license is a bundle of the Serato DJ and DVS Expansion Pack licenses.

If you already own both of these licenses then you will be able to connect to Club Kit hardware and use DVS.

Quote:

If you only own a Serato DJ license, you will still be able to connect to Club Kit hardware and use CDJs in HID mode, or MIDI map features for use with Internal mode.

If you don't own these licenses but wish to test Club Kit hardware, you can either start a free 14 day Serato DJ trial, or purchase the Club Kit here for USD169.

The part in quote applies to me right.

If I had the gear I would have tested it with my current license, but I don't. I've turned up to a gig that had the older nexus before, I was so confused and ended up using an SL2 box.

Another DJ played after me and he connected via USB and HID.
wadup 8:16 PM - 28 November, 2016
Its' very simple really....reading from you post you already purchase a SDJ license for your intro controller, correct?. If yes than you will be able to use the pioneer NXS mixers with only internal mode, also mean you can connect the pioneer cdj NXS too... but no turntable hook up thus you need the DVS package..
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:11 PM - 28 November, 2016
Quote:
Its' very simple really....reading from you post you already purchase a SDJ license for your intro controller, correct?. If yes than you will be able to use the pioneer NXS mixers with only internal mode, also mean you can connect the pioneer cdj NXS too... but no turntable hook up thus you need the DVS package..

Thats what I was thinking too.
JD WAS. 11:21 PM - 28 November, 2016
@sirforce how are u liking the pio with sdj?
How does the crossfader compare with your rane mixers? (I'm assuming your a dvs user)
SirForce 3:41 AM - 29 November, 2016
@JD WAS.

I've had the djm900nxs2 and a pair of cdj2000nxs2 on ice since march waiting for this.

I have to say my initial impression of SDJ 1.9 5 with this gear is pretty good. The HID is pretty tight especially compared to vinyl.

I am going to try it with DVS later this week. Almost temptied to gig with it. I have pretty good expectations and will also try HID on the cdj with Rane 62.

The xfader is pretty nice, no tension adjustment like the s9 but it has a very sharp cut option of the three xfader response slopes. I feel I sound better on the pioneer compared to the Rane 62 and 64 which I've been using since they were released. I don't know about repairing or replacing the pioneer xfade... Rane it was easy, only had to do it once but easy. Same goes for cleaning the rane. I have idea on the pioneer if that is even possible.
JD WAS. 12:16 AM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
@JD WAS.

I've had the djm900nxs2 and a pair of cdj2000nxs2 on ice since march waiting for this.

I have to say my initial impression of SDJ 1.9 5 with this gear is pretty good. The HID is pretty tight especially compared to vinyl.

I am going to try it with DVS later this week. Almost temptied to gig with it. I have pretty good expectations and will also try HID on the cdj with Rane 62.

The xfader is pretty nice, no tension adjustment like the s9 but it has a very sharp cut option of the three xfader response slopes. I feel I sound better on the pioneer compared to the Rane 62 and 64 which I've been using since they were released. I don't know about repairing or replacing the pioneer xfade... Rane it was easy, only had to do it once but easy. Same goes for cleaning the rane. I have idea on the pioneer if that is even possible.

Thanks for the info, would love to hear what you think after you test dvs.
If you wouldn't mind answering how were the effects,do they match the software bpm or did u tap them in ? Is there any midi between the mixer and serato?
JD WAS. 12:18 AM - 30 November, 2016
Midi communication
SirForce 12:47 AM - 30 November, 2016
Had to TAP the effects BPM in, caught me off guard at first. Have no idea if that is by design or a bug. It would be great if the BPM was set via Serato based on the track tempo. I think this is worthy of its own thread in the forum.
JD WAS. 1:30 AM - 30 November, 2016
No doubt,will do,pardon the jack
Alex Breeze 5:52 AM - 14 December, 2016
Hey guys, I use serato scratch live with an SL3 box in ABS mode (I use the cdj's as if they were vinyl) and play on cdj 2000's and a djm 900nexus mixer. I play at a few clubs that now have the cdj 2000 nexus2 and djm 900 nexus2 that you all know wasn't compatible with serato until now. I just read an article that the nexus2 setup is compatible with serato dj.

My question is I don't use serato dj I use serato scratch live with an sl3 box. Does anyone know if the new nexus2 setup will now work with my sl3 box and control cd's? If you have the answer for this please let me know asap as I have a few gigs coming up soon!

Thanks in advance!
deejdave 2:21 PM - 14 December, 2016
Of course it will. If it can play a cd it can use time code cd's.seems a bit of a waste to not be using HID tho? Could have been using all along tho as this has no affect on DVS.
DJ GetLow 10:57 PM - 3 September, 2017
hey I have just got my new dam 900 nxs2 and my pair of cdc 2000 nxs2 which expansion pack do I need? the club kit or DVS? or both?
DJ GetLow 10:59 PM - 3 September, 2017
sorry i had a typo djm 900 nxs2 and cdj 2000 nxs2
deejdave 12:41 AM - 4 September, 2017
If you plan to use HID only you just need SDJ expansion. DVS is not necessary. Club kit consists of SDJ expansion and DVS so this is overkill as well.