Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DJM900 Nexus and Club Kit

Alixx J 6:25 AM - 19 September, 2015
So I'm thinking about moving from SSL to SDJ (have been for a while) but I've been waiting until it looks like bugs have been ironed out. I've used my SL3 with the venue's DJM900 for a few years now and it's been rock solid, not even a hiccup, but would like the convenience of plug and play with the mixer and PNT (I also run ME). A few key things I'd like to know from anyone with experience on this setup:

Is there a noticeable sound quality difference?
Deal breaker - If there's a crash, does the mixer need rebooting?
Is the latency with vinyl as good as an SL3?

I run Mavericks still on the highest end 2013 pro (not retina).

Thanks in advance!
raedonquan 5:11 PM - 19 September, 2015
my djm 900n runs fine with sdj and ME on a mbp 2011 15" i7

all i had to do is install a driver that was built in SDJ and purchase the club kit....

it was worth it for me no more sl box to wire up...

there is a trial for the club kit so give it a try
Smoke21 5:50 PM - 19 September, 2015
club kit is great.. Makes setup a bit easier, so far so good at my end with SDJ and club kit
Alixx J 9:51 AM - 20 September, 2015
Thanks for the feedback, if it's hassle free for you guys I'll take the plunge and give it a go. I did opt for the 14 day trial but bottled gigging with it every time I showed up at the venue (it's been peak season and really busy), totally went against the grain trailing it Live and I don't have access to a 900 anywhere else. It's quietening down in my town now though, so I'll get it going early doors on a Friday to test it out.
Alixx J 3:55 PM - 3 October, 2015
So I bought club kit and upgraded my mix emergency, only to discover that on a DJM 900, you can only use channels 1 and 4 with vinyl, not a problem with just music, but with video ME won't detect serato's signal on both channel 1 and 4, gutted!! I'm going to try with Serato video, hopefully it won't be the same issue.
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:53 PM - 3 October, 2015
It will be the same, get some Phono to Line converters then you can plug your decks into the middle two channels 1&2
Alixx J 6:18 PM - 3 October, 2015
Just had a look at an ART preamp, looks like the only way to go, cheers WOOLSEY, determined to make SDJ work for me like SSL
deejdave 2:54 AM - 4 October, 2015
The same way you would have the 900Nexus working with SSL is the same way you could have it work with SDJ. The only way it could be done with SSL is with an SL box and that same setup connected the same way would work with SDJ. If you don't have one already obviously the pre-amp would be the cheaper way to go though.
938MyDJ 4:32 AM - 4 October, 2015
Or use TTs with optional Line Outs.
deejdave 5:02 AM - 4 October, 2015
I think he uses Technics 1210's as per his profile. I am hoping he still has the SL3 his profile says he has/had as well :)
Alixx J 9:39 PM - 5 October, 2015
I use techs and still have my SL3, I was hoping to leave the SL3 wired up at home to make me practise my sets a bit more. Shame the primary decks aren't changeable in serato, hope this comes in an update soon!
Mr Wilks 9:53 PM - 5 October, 2015
@Alixx J

Are you still local? Pop around and play on SDJ one afternoon! Lot's of kit to choose from too.
deejdave 11:42 PM - 5 October, 2015
Quote:
I use techs and still have my SL3, I was hoping to leave the SL3 wired up at home to make me practise my sets a bit more. Shame the primary decks aren't changeable in serato, hope this comes in an update soon!

Yah I''d say enough peeps are looking forward to it
Karl W 12:42 AM - 5 June, 2016
I rock into a new club with a new Pioneer Nexus setup, plug in my mac thinking yeah I paid fukloads for the clubkit... nek min not only does the mixer not work the cdjs didnt either! WTF You cant call it a clubkit if its not working on Pioneer in the club guys!
Lucky I had my Akai as backup!
Karl W 12:43 AM - 5 June, 2016
Quote:
So I bought club kit and upgraded my mix emergency, only to discover that on a DJM 900, you can only use channels 1 and 4 with vinyl, not a problem with just music, but with video ME won't detect serato's signal on both channel 1 and 4, gutted!! I'm going to try with Serato video, hopefully it won't be the same issue.

Just remap the midi in ME
djkurve 10:44 PM - 6 June, 2016
This worked out for me at my gig this past Saturday night!

youtu.be
Alixx J 7:16 PM - 7 June, 2016
Thanks Kurve, that's a brilliant video!! I'm going to take another look at this on Friday at the club, can't test it at home, I assumed SDJ would only work with technics on the phono inputs. Did you have to boost your cartridge output to make up for the lack of a phono preamp?
djkurve 3:07 PM - 8 June, 2016
Thanks! But all the credits goes to Pablo da Don! I assumed the same over the years, but somehow this just works. lol! No additional boosting/tweaking of any settings was necessary.
DJ Chris-Style 4:25 AM - 9 June, 2016
Please support DJM-900NXS2 I brought them in February when they come out and miss using Serato. Brought Club kit thinking support was there. Been using another product I won't name until Serato has an update.
Versipellis 8:28 AM - 30 June, 2016
+1
myndgruv 10:15 PM - 30 June, 2016
dont be shocked if pioneer keeps it locked into them. They have a DVS system now so why share.
Versipellis 10:48 PM - 30 June, 2016
Quote:
dont be shocked if pioneer keeps it locked into them. They have a DVS system now so why share.

If you've actually read the Pioneer forums, you'll realize the roadblock is Serato, not Pioneer.
i am Dj fLiP 11:56 PM - 30 June, 2016
it'll be the new club standard, so in time, should technically be supported by serato
deejdave 1:18 AM - 1 July, 2016
Quote:

VDJ already added native support for the NXS2's HID so we already know this to be false.
BRUSS 11:06 AM - 7 July, 2016
+1