Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Shift button midi mapping

ophidian 9:28 AM - 3 December, 2015
I know this has been discussed multiple times, but surprisingly there is not an actual feature request for this.. until now.

I would like the ability to add a shift modifier to the Serato DJ midi mapping similar to what is available in Serato Scratch Live.

This would allow for mapping tricks such as having 4 buttons mapped to 4 cue points, then having a "shift" button which when pressed in conjunction with one of the others, will set the cue point rather than trigger it. Example SSL config:
Quote:

<midi>
<Modifier name="ShiftA" event_type="Note On" channel="3" control="49" />
<Control name="Trigger Cue Point Button A0" channel="3" event_type="Note On" control="44" />
<Control name="Set Cue Point Button A0" channel="3" event_type="Note On" control="44" on_modifier="ShiftA" />
</midi>

This feature is awesome because it allows for greater flexibility and better utilization with midi devices. This can remain as an advanced feature that has no UI support, and is only available by manually editing the SDJ midi config.

Thanks!
dibb 10:01 AM - 2 March, 2016
+1
thebulge 11:21 AM - 2 March, 2016
I just couldn't find this request anywhere. I searched and searched and searched +1 here!
papagp 12:20 PM - 2 March, 2016
+1
WildcardX 3:24 PM - 2 March, 2016
Yeah, +1 for this indeed at least to map to delete Hot Cues.
dibb 3:31 PM - 2 March, 2016
It would be nice to hear from Serato if it's even possible by editing the xml (a simple yes or no), and of course if possible how. Then it's not even a feature request, but a request for information. :)
WildcardX 4:04 PM - 2 March, 2016
I am also looking out for answers from Serato if it's even possible to activate feedback from rotary knob light like on the Behringer CMD DC-1 midi controller in 2 threads a little while now but I hope at least this one gets an anwer.
katmoda 2:08 PM - 9 March, 2016
+1
revdok 9:11 PM - 19 May, 2016
+1
DER_FICH 6:43 AM - 21 May, 2016
+1
dj_estrela 1:07 PM - 21 May, 2016
+1
Iván 9:34 PM - 22 May, 2016
+1
The Funk Society 3:00 PM - 25 May, 2016
+1
acemc 10:32 PM - 29 May, 2016
Strange that no-one could find this, as I did ask for it here: serato.com
Anyway +1 on this one too!
acemc 10:47 PM - 29 May, 2016
Quote:
Then it's not even a feature request, but a request for information. :)

This was discussed with Jason during in the 1.8 beta section.
His answer was that Serato had no documentation on XML commands to share with us.
He suggested that we make a thread appealing to the 'power users' for their input.
I made a thread for it here: serato.com
Sadly, not much happening there :(
dibb 8:01 PM - 30 May, 2016
I did some "reverse engineering" to midi-map some functions that are not in de midi panel (for my AMX & AFX). It was discussed here:

serato.com

No luck (yet) with Shift-function and Fine pitch adjustment..
acemc 10:43 PM - 30 May, 2016
Quote:
I did some "reverse engineering" to midi-map some functions that are not in de midi panel (for my AMX & AFX). It was discussed here:

serato.com

No luck (yet) with Shift-function and Fine pitch adjustment..

Interesting stuff there, thanks dibb
dibb 9:17 AM - 31 May, 2016
you're welcome. good luck with the mapping!
nostyle 12:26 AM - 3 June, 2016
+1
Marv Incredible 11:04 PM - 8 June, 2016
+1
Blackie Lox 12:57 PM - 10 June, 2016
+1
Serato's MIDI implementation is PATHETIC.
Nyx 6:07 PM - 11 October, 2016
+1
The more functions SDJ gets (e. g. the new sampler), the more I miss customizable modifiers. Why can't it just work like it was in SSL?
mixgoonie 7:48 AM - 12 October, 2016
+1 so usefull.
Niak 10:30 AM - 16 October, 2016
+1 from me too
ophidian 5:16 AM - 21 December, 2016
A year has passed since this request, and I've come to realize that any enhancements to the midi system is not going to happen. For better or worse, it appears Serato is focused on partnering and selling controllers.

However, I did want to share an option for those stumbling on this thread looking for a way to do this without having to reinvest in a competing DJ product. You will need to buy Bome's Midi Translator though.

With Bome's, your able to create midi modifier variables like your given in Traktor.
First, create your modifier; setting a variable you define in the rules.
Quote:

Incoming: Midi message, Control change, <CC#1>
Rules:
myshift = myshift + 1
if myshift>1 then myshift=0
Outgoing: none

Then, create your two midi signals for the same incoming value, but have the output vary based upon the value set by your modifier key.
First, the one where my modifier key is not pressed:
Quote:

Incoming: Midi message, Control change, <CC#2>
Rules:
if myshift!=0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: <CC#2>

Next, the one where my modifier key is pressed:
Quote:

Incoming: Midi message, Control change, <CC#2>
Rules:
if myshift!=1 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: <CC#19>

Notice, the incoming midi is the same, but the output differs. With this, you can then bind the midi signals CC#2 & CC#19 as normal in Serato. There may be a better way to do this, and there is definitely more that can be achieved with Bome's, but hopefully this will be enough to get started for those needing a solution.
Remember to switch off your controller and on Bome's translator in the devices of Serato DJ's setup.
BARRY SCOTT 7:21 AM - 21 December, 2016
2017 and you don't have a SW shift...
courageous.
acemc 11:45 PM - 27 December, 2016
Quote:
With Bome's, your able to create midi modifier variables like your given in Traktor.

Thanks for the workaround.
Unfortunately I'm not too comfortable running other apps in the background while at a gig.
spiders 12:09 PM - 8 February, 2017
+1
Despo 8:39 AM - 9 February, 2017
it's already 100% possible to map a shift button in the XML file using code. Problem is nobody knows the lines of code you have to put in and serato refuses to help us with this for some reason. But it is already possible, that much is clear.
thebulge 9:16 AM - 9 February, 2017
There's a Z2 mapping floating around that radikarl put together. It handles shift modifiers. Someone needs to blog or publish some community docs. I wish I had time. :)
Marv Incredible 9:29 PM - 14 February, 2017
Quote:
There's a Z2 mapping floating around that radikarl put together.

It can be found on this page (as can Radikarl's Donate button). ;)
www.radikarl.de
technicaltitch 9:38 PM - 11 April, 2019
+1
Bornd Fono 6:33 AM - 15 April, 2019
+1
v@l 11:02 AM - 15 August, 2019
+1