Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Akai AMX Modification

AKIEM 10:25 PM - 4 October, 2015
The deal breaker on this mixer which i consider to be a design flaw is the Gain/Pitch endless rotary encoder.

I think endless encoders are excellent if used right. But in this case using it on the gain is incorrect. There is no notch to find zero. And there is no visual indication any place pointing to zero. This makes it very difficult to match the gain between channels.

I personally don't touch the gains because i use auto gain, and if there is an issue i just adjust and save. But what i do always use is the pitch control. So forget to hit shift and adjusting the 'pitch' control easily ends up adjusting the gain - then having to try and match it again. Have to hold down shift to adjust pitch is annoying as well.

If these functions could be flipped it would be perfect, pitch easily accessible and gain behind the shift where it wont be touched.

So the mod is very simple - set the shift switch to always 'on'

PC board
lh6.googleusercontent.com

shift button
If i could have found a small enough 'normally on' switch.

Underside

Soldered a jumper.

So now the shift is always on. Adjust the pitch knob and its never the gain.

I don't use the other unshifted buttons so it works fine. So far.

I might place a 'normal on' switch some place in the future...
dibb 7:31 PM - 5 October, 2015
100% agreed that this is the biggest flaw on the AMX design.

I would like to be able to remap my hi eq knob to be my gain and my mid eq knob to be my high eq. So basically sacrificing my mid eq for a proper gain control. For me proper gain staging is more important than having a mid eq.

I've mapped the AMX within DJ Player for iOS like this, and it works so much better..
Logisticalstyles 3:23 PM - 6 October, 2015
Quote:

I've mapped the AMX within DJ Player for iOS like this, and it works so much better..

How are you connecting your AMX to the iPhone/iPad?
dibb 4:28 PM - 6 October, 2015
You'll need a powered usb hub and Apple's Camera Connection Kit (CCK):

Connect to port (micro USB?) you would normally connect to your MAC/PC to the iPad (via the CCK). Then connect the AMX to one of the normal USB ports of the hub.

You do need the hub to be powered (to power the AMX). The iPad won't be powered/charged.

Positive side effect is that the output level of the AMX increases significantly (several dBs).
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:03 AM - 7 October, 2015
Posted this in the other thread - looks like SDJ 1.8 will support hardware mapping soon maybe??

Quote:
Hey Akiem - did you see this announcement today (scroll down):
serato.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HARDWARE REMAPPING
Supported hardware* is being opened up for user remapping of Serato DJ features. For advanced users wanting custom control, remap parts of your controller for quick access to features you use regularly.

*Official Serato Accessories do not support remapping at this stage.

*There are some limitations for specific hardware. For specific information on remapping your controller, refer to individual controller quickstart guide.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wonder if the AMX gain knob can be midi mapped in the near future to avoid the above mod and voiding the warranty??
AKIEM 3:55 AM - 7 October, 2015
Quote:
Posted this in the other thread - looks like SDJ 1.8 will support hardware mapping soon maybe??

Quote:
Hey Akiem - did you see this announcement today (scroll down):
serato.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HARDWARE REMAPPING
Supported hardware* is being opened up for user remapping of Serato DJ features. For advanced users wanting custom control, remap parts of your controller for quick access to features you use regularly.

*Official Serato Accessories do not support remapping at this stage.

*There are some limitations for specific hardware. For specific information on remapping your controller, refer to individual controller quickstart guide.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wonder if the AMX gain knob can be midi mapped in the near future to avoid the above mod and voiding the warranty??

.....and you know what "at this stage" means right? :-)
WarpNote 6:39 AM - 7 October, 2015
Yep, although your mod is very kool Akiem, ;-)
seems others won't have to resolve to this.
deejdave 2:37 AM - 8 October, 2015
Again the Akai AMX is a native Serato DJ Controller and not an Official Serato Accessory.

The Akai AMX is 100% remappable via 1.8
deejdave 3:03 AM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:
Yep, although your mod is very kool Akiem, ;-)

But yes I agree also.
Karloff 3:06 AM - 8 October, 2015
eerr, how can you navigate sub folder if you fixed the shift key?
AKIEM 3:29 AM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:
eerr, how can you navigate sub folder if you fixed the shift key?

I don't.

...and i was going to put a switch button... guess i don't have to now.

btw. The AMX was just to play around with SDJ till i got a real mixer...
dibb 7:02 AM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:

I would say 90%. Shift functions are not yet supported and you can't completely remap your eq's, since SDJ has no mixer panel (yet).

But I am able to map my gain knobs to be my pitch! And my mid eq knobs are now my track gains. SO much better! Also fun and useful: in Touch mode, I can now nudge the tempo by touching my mid and high eq's (who needs those kill switches?) So now I can mix without sync and with only the AMX (standalone, no decks or AFX) :)
deejdave 12:07 AM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:

Meaning it is able to be mapped as I wasn't giving an actual percentage of "mapability" LOL
dibb 6:53 AM - 9 October, 2015
;)
deejdave 12:11 AM - 11 October, 2015
Quote:
I would say 90%. Shift functions are not yet supported and you can't completely remap your eq's, since SDJ has no mixer panel (yet).

Also totally to be a smart ass this would make SDJ not 100% remapable not the AMX. You can absolutely remap the EQ's to whatever is available to be mapped LOL.

Tis the truth but totally yankin your crank as I 100% (see what I did there?) knew what you meant and furthermore feel we should have every option SDJ has internally and externally mapable as we choose. EVEN some menu setup options. Quantize value anyone?
Karloff 12:17 PM - 12 October, 2015
hopefully in 1.8 we can mapped the gain control with feedback indicaton that we see in GUI.also it would be nice to mapped the sync button with censor/reverse.
nikodb 1:44 PM - 12 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

But I am able to map my gain knobs to be my pitch! And my mid eq knobs are now my track gains. SO much better! Also fun and useful: in Touch mode, I can now nudge the tempo by touching my mid and high eq's (who needs those kill switches?) So now I can mix without sync and with only the AMX (standalone, no decks or AFX) :)

How did you manage to map gains on mids.....Are you talking about the individual track level Gains on the GUI, the ones that are assigned to the auto-gain value?
nikodb 5:10 PM - 12 October, 2015
Disregard my question...i misread your statement...

If of any help as far as nudging, you can also hold either a or b button for respective side and nudge by scrolling with the library knob as well...

Cheers
Nik
dibb 5:28 PM - 12 October, 2015
Quote:
If of any help as far as nudging, you can also hold either a or b button for respective side and nudge by scrolling with the library knob as well...

Thanks for the tip. I was aware of that function and it's perfectly workable. I do think touching the eq knobs (while in touch mode) gives a more "natural feel" for nudging than using shift + turning the browse knob. Just a personal preference..
dibb 5:32 PM - 12 October, 2015
Quote:
Also totally to be a smart ass this would make SDJ not 100% remapable not the AMX. You can absolutely remap the EQ's to whatever is available to be mapped LOL.

You're 100% right.. :)
AKIEM 10:00 PM - 7 November, 2015

Added a normally closed switch. Shift is normally on, press and its off.

If I could find a small enough toggle switch that would work too.
Karloff 12:21 AM - 8 November, 2015
i have mapped my AMX to the 1.8 version. it works to the desired mapping button.

here's what button s i mapped: for DVS (turntable) use.

1. Channel GAIN- mapped to channel gains but with feedback indication to GUI. now you can see the volume levels.

2. SYNC mapped to Censor/Reverse

3. PLAY/PAUSE mapped to slip mode

also i have a NanoPAD2 mapped 4 banks with cue-points. loops ,FX and SP6 and it works flawlessly.

ADVICE:

the mappings that been programmed is not a PLUG n PLAY.
you have to load it manually to activate the mappings.

for example: if you have 2 or more midi devices that are connected to SDJ. you have to click and load it one by one to activate the mappings. if not, it will not work.

now, here's my problem.

as i connect the two midi device to work as one in SDJ (AMX+NanoPAD2)

there's a conflict button the activates a different parameter.
in my case, (in TOUCH MODE) the RIGHT ch. HP/LP filter mistakenly activates the first FX bank in right channel. supposedly it would do the COMBO- fliter+loop.

the LEFT ch works perfectly.

the said conflict is working as normal when nanopad2 is not connected or unloaded from the saved midi. vice versa with the AMX.

i have deleted my MIDI folder both in backup trice already. see if have wrongly programmed or a conflict xml as per SDJ instruction. but the problem still exist.

what i do to make use of the conflict filter knob is to remapped it with simple FILTER as in not TOUCH mode.

out of the AMX topic.
i have DDJ-SR midimapped and there's also a conflict buttons where i emailed the SDJ support team. and they said they cannot replicate the problem. advised to delete or erase the midi folders or upgrade the SRs firmware. a non sense reply from this supprt group.
nikodb 8:39 AM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:
Channel GAIN- mapped to channel gains but with feedback indication to GUI. now you can see the volume levels.

I am dying to map the channel gains with feedback to the High Eq knob and there after just scale down the eqs to the rest of the knobs...Then i d most likely put High Eq on Mids knob and have Mid Eq and bass Eq on the Lows knob together.

I cant seem to find the names for nothing though..can you please share the gains name for mapping and if you have any idea about the eqs, please do post some names here, or pm.

Cheers
Nik

P.S. I assume you are talking about the actual channel gains and not the individual Tracks Gain that's is displayed on the GUI (the one also used for autogain, that has led feedback on software GUI also)
Jzzen 10:26 AM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:

Added a normally closed switch. Shift is normally on, press and its off.

If I could find a small enough toggle switch that would work too.

That's a good idea.
I might give that a blast.
Karloff 11:21 AM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Channel GAIN- mapped to channel gains but with feedback indication to GUI. now you can see the volume levels.

I am dying to map the channel gains with feedback to the High Eq knob and there after just scale down the eqs to the rest of the knobs...Then i d most likely put High Eq on Mids knob and have Mid Eq and bass Eq on the Lows knob together.

I cant seem to find the names for nothing though..can you please share the gains name for mapping and if you have any idea about the eqs, please do post some names here, or pm.

Cheers
Nik

P.S. I assume you are talking about the actual channel gains and not the individual Tracks Gain that's is displayed on the GUI (the one also used for autogain, that has led feedback on software GUI also)

its the Track Gain Adjust i should say. most likely channel gain and eq's are hardware reference and cannot be REmapped as of this time but we can map anything as long as it is in the GUI.
by the way, the track channel gains i assigned it together with keyboard key "C" then to select data type to Relative - 2's complement.
nikodb 12:58 PM - 8 November, 2015
Quote:
its the Track Gain Adjust i should say. most likely channel gain and eq's are hardware reference and cannot be REmapped as of this time but we can map anything as long as it is in the GUI.
by the way, the track channel gains i assigned it together with keyboard key "C" then to select data type to Relative - 2's complement.

I am sure they can be remapped if you type the commands down to the XML...these knobs are not hardware based...problem is that we do not know the "names" they are referred to the software so we can identify them and map them...so nothing can be done till we find those names out...

I hoped you had some luck having those handy...but its not what i was looking for, do not wish to map the track gains.

Thanks for the response :)

Cheers
Nik
nikodb 12:59 PM - 8 November, 2015
P.S.

you can map anything even if not on GUI, as long as you know how to name it on the XML..
AKIEM 6:24 PM - 8 November, 2015
Note: this mod is kinda not straight forward. There are a couple things which where a bitch to do - mostly because of the small solid construction.

I appreciate how well its constructed and designed...
Jzzen 8:38 AM - 9 November, 2015
That's what I didn't want to hear.
Oh well.
I'll put my safety glasses, white coat and welder back in the shed then!!
AKIEM 5:46 PM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
i have mapped my AMX to the 1.8 version. it works to the desired mapping button.

1. Channel GAIN- mapped to channel gains but with feedback indication to GUI. now you can see the volume levels.

Isn't this changing you auto gain?
nikodb 7:12 AM - 10 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yes it is...though i don't really agree on it for nothing...some people can live with it...
AKIEM 4:25 PM - 10 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes it is...though i don't really agree on it for nothing...some people can live with it...

Yes, that's not something i could do. Most files i never have to adjust after over views are built - that would just be messing up all my files volume....
AKIEM 6:38 PM - 17 November, 2015
Quote:
That's what I didn't want to hear.
Oh well.
I'll put my safety glasses, white coat and welder back in the shed then!!

well having done it - I can tell you what will be difficult ahead of time.
Lou Dog 9:00 AM - 11 February, 2016
I know this thread is old. But the lack of a "0 click position" on the gain knobs still bugs me. I like tweaking my gains and the LEDs are not very great as far as feedback goes so the AMX is still giving me issues.

The gains seem to be at the "12 o'clock position" every time I open up SDJ for the first time. So if i put a small sticker at the twelve o'clock position and make sure that before I plug in the AMX the endless knobs are set to 12 o'clock, would this give me some way of knowing where the I am on the gan spectrum throughout the night? Am I missing something? any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance
p45 1:30 PM - 11 February, 2016
Quote:
I know this thread is old. But the lack of a "0 click position" on the gain knobs still bugs me. I like tweaking my gains and the LEDs are not very great as far as feedback goes so the AMX is still giving me issues.

The gains seem to be at the "12 o'clock position" every time I open up SDJ for the first time. So if i put a small sticker at the twelve o'clock position and make sure that before I plug in the AMX the endless knobs are set to 12 o'clock, would this give me some way of knowing where the I am on the gan spectrum throughout the night? Am I missing something? any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

Just swap the cue gain and cue mix nobs with the endless nobs. - same result without need for sticker
nikodb 1:45 PM - 11 February, 2016
Quote:
I know this thread is old.... Am I missing something? any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

Sounds logic and should work for you, as long as the endless gain knob resolution is the same or similar with the rest of the eqs....that said for that mark to be making some sense in your eyes...You do not really want it maxed out at more than 5 o clock....Let us know how it goes when you swap them
dibb 3:33 PM - 11 February, 2016
Quote:
Just swap the cue gain and cue mix nobs with the endless nobs. - same result without need for sticker

Good tip! Will try that as as well..
AKIEM 6:05 PM - 11 February, 2016
Then how does the pitch work?
nikodb 11:12 PM - 11 February, 2016
Quote:

Excellent point...he will need to limit the device to a traditional mixer usage

Software should also always be starting up with knobs at 12 oclock....
AKIEM 12:57 AM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Excellent point...he will need to limit the device to a traditional mixer usage

Software should also always be starting up with knobs at 12 oclock....

thats why my shift switch mod is the best way to go (for me anyway)
dibb 7:51 AM - 12 February, 2016
you're right, switching those buttons doesn't help a thing. :) gain on endless = no go.

for me sacrificing my mid eq knobs for gain control works fine. the amx is and stays a (nice) little controller for home use only..
nikodb 2:03 PM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
you're right, switching those buttons doesn't help a thing. :) gain on endless = no go.

for me sacrificing my mid eq knobs for gain control works fine. the amx is and stays a (nice) little controller for home use only..

you cant do that man, unless you want to map the softwares track gain , which will mess all your auto-gain settings anyways...not a very good idea..
AKIEM 8:20 PM - 12 February, 2016
you can... but I can't imagine good results in the end doing that....
nikodb 11:28 AM - 13 February, 2016
Quote:
you can... but I can't imagine good results in the end doing that....

If you have the xml with an eq gain command hack...please let me know...I could not find that anywhere

I am not talking about mapping the software track gain, talking about the actual eq it self

Cheers
dibb 6:22 PM - 13 February, 2016
Quote:
you cant do that man, unless you want to map the softwares track gain , which will mess all your auto-gain settings anyways...not a very good idea..

Hmm, you're right. Thing is, I used this mapping BEFORE I started to use auto-gain. Since I use the AMX mainly as I prepping device, it actually made sense to have the software track gain mapped since I could compensate the gain for lower level tracks on the device. Now that I use auto-gain, I'd better stay off the sw track gain adjustment.. :)
dibb 6:34 PM - 13 February, 2016
Quote:
If you have the xml with an eq gain command hack...please let me know...I could not find that anywhere

I will when I do, but I haven't (yet). I did start to hack the XML to re-map my AFX though. Must say it's a lot of fun to turn a more or less useless device into something that's actually useful.

Serato should really open up midi mapping more. Adding the mixer controls and the fine pitch control (not the coarse controller) to the midi panel would be a nice next step.
nikodb 1:41 PM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I will when I do, but I haven't (yet). I did start to hack the XML to re-map my AFX though. Must say it's a lot of fun to turn a more or less useless device into something that's actually useful.

Serato should really open up midi mapping more. Adding the mixer controls and the fine pitch control (not the coarse controller) to the midi panel would be a nice next step.

Well if you manage to hack the eq section and get the "names" somehow, please share...:) Good luck!
AKIEM 6:36 PM - 14 February, 2016

This has been working flawless for me.
DJ Big Griz 7:44 PM - 14 February, 2016
Good to know...
AKIEM 2:27 AM - 16 February, 2016
Telling you guys, this button solves the problems.

Lou Dog 6:16 PM - 16 February, 2016
How so?
AKIEM 7:51 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
How so?

Because shift is always on. Which means the rotary knobs adjust pitch without having to awkwardly press the shift button and is done all the time (unless you are trying to auto sync everything) And you have to press the shift button to change the gain which should seldom be done and can mess up your gain structure.
nikodb 8:00 PM - 16 February, 2016
I think he meant, how so....in regards to the endless gain issue that was brought up again...it is a deal breaker for some of us...i actually sold that unit my self only for that and am just following this thread, in case someone hacks the eq names to remap them...never minded the pitch being there on shift, cause i always used it either on sync if no cd player, or with a cdj on timecodes or int....
AKIEM 8:06 PM - 16 February, 2016
Right, so for me that solves the endless gain problem. Because the only problem I had with it was adjusting it by accident trying to adjust the pitch. If you don't touch the gains, they rant a problem. Auto Gain works great.

I don't think I would ever use it for DVS.
nikodb 8:45 PM - 16 February, 2016
I agree...everybody is different...I also do find the autogain of great help and do use it at recommended value as well....but i also absolutely need proper gains on numerous occasions..especially when mixing older with newer stuff or different genres....there you may end up having the same db auto-gained, but still get a significant difference on overall sound of a track, due to original recording and production variables, such as mastering and other stuff....
dibb 9:23 PM - 16 February, 2016
it really would help if Serato gave us the xml names for eq, gain and fine pitch..
AKIEM 11:12 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
I agree...everybody is different...I also do find the autogain of great help and do use it at recommended value as well....but i also absolutely need proper gains on numerous occasions..especially when mixing older with newer stuff or different genres....there you may end up having the same db auto-gained, but still get a significant difference on overall sound of a track, due to original recording and production variables, such as mastering and other stuff....

agreed.

I really do think its a huge mistake to have zero tactile/visual information on screen or anyplace about where the gains are set....

I have a little of the same issue with the Rane mkii not having any notch in the gain pot. I never know if they are equal at 12oclock... pretty annoying.
Lou Dog 11:17 PM - 16 February, 2016
Yea @AKIEM thanks for the response but as nikodb stated I was referring to the endless knobs on the gains. I always use the AMX with turntables or cdjs. So I don't need to mess with pitch on the AMX.

But I did very briefly try to switch the cue knobs with the endless knobs just to give me a visual reference like someone suggested. But still isn't working the way I hoped. It does help. But in order to go from 0-10 you have to spin the gain clockwise a few times to hit the full spectrum. Not like I'm Used too which is (0=7 o'clock 10=5 o'clock).Not that I would ever need to go to 10 but it just doesn't function like any other gain knob on any mixer I've used. Hope that made sense lol

Still open for others feedback/opinions. Someone have some work around. Thanks again
AKIEM 11:24 PM - 16 February, 2016
Gotcha. I forget people are playing dvs with it.

Now I see what was being said about the marking it. going all the way past zero then up from there... pain in the ass, good trick tho if needed.
WildcardX 11:31 PM - 16 February, 2016
I just recently got my AMX and have been following this thread. I wanted to ask though, can't the midi signals be captured with some thing like Midiox shows what the midi notes and other information are for the controller. ( don't know what would be the Mac version of a software similar to Midi OX.
dibb 8:05 AM - 17 February, 2016
yes, you can listen to the midi notes being send. on os x I use midimonitor. but in order to remap on of the eq knobs to mixer gain for example, you need the name of mixer gain to be used in de xml for that mapping. since mixer gain is unmappable in sdjs midi panel (only software track gain), this xml name is unknown.
WildcardX 2:00 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
yes, you can listen to the midi notes being send. on os x I use midimonitor. but in order to remap on of the eq knobs to mixer gain for example, you need the name of mixer gain to be used in de xml for that mapping. since mixer gain is unmappable in sdjs midi panel (only software track gain), this xml name is unknown.

Ok got it.
nikodb 3:30 PM - 17 February, 2016
Anybody familiar with executing the ''strings'' command on SDJ via mac terminal ? I have heard that this may be of help and possibly get some bonus info in remapping the gains..
dibb 5:02 PM - 17 February, 2016
Well I wasn't familiar with that command, but just ran: "strings Serato\ DJ | grep gain"
And here is the output:

master.gain
master.calibration_gain
Validating XMLs against XSDs
dvs_input_calibration_gain
output_calibration_gain
software_mic_gain
software_cue_gain
master_gain
track_gain
cue_gain
record_gain
sample_player_slot_gain
sample_player_gain
Not a one shot so we'll let this hang around. The controller will call the 'send' slot again when it's timer says to.
Host not found (non-authoritative), try again later
----:com.serato.dj:autgain
gain

So, I think we need "track_gain", right? Or would that be the software track gain?

Unfortunately I'm on vacation now and left my AMX at home, so can't try the remap until next week.. :)
dibb 5:11 PM - 17 February, 2016
I think I found the mixer eq names as well:

deck_eq_hi
deck_eq_lo
deck_eq_mid

Thanks for this strings command tip! I'm gonna have a lot of fun hacking SDJ's midi XML with this.. ;)
dibb 5:56 PM - 17 February, 2016
In case "track_gain" is the xml-name for the software track gain, it might be "trim"..
dibb 6:27 PM - 17 February, 2016
Having read the Serato DJ manual, I'm pretty sure track_gain refers to the Track Gain Adjust that is saved with the file (page 35). So I think "trim" is the parameter to map for the "mixer gain".
dibb 7:01 PM - 17 February, 2016
Hmm, I missed the last line of the output of the "gain" query (see 4 posts up). The xml-name might as well be just "gain".
nikodb 1:46 PM - 18 February, 2016
getting close there :)..,,or could also be like deck_gain or deck_eq_gain

I had no luck trying to run this command...pretty happy with posting here...If you guys can manage to pull that out, i will sure buy that unit again or end up buying a cheaper controller and remap the gain...

Cheers
Nik
katmoda 2:19 PM - 18 February, 2016
try these values

track_gain
cue_gain
master_gain
sample_player_slot_gain
sample_player_gain
katmoda 2:27 PM - 18 February, 2016
deck_filter_frequency
aux_eq_hi
aux_eq_mid
aux_eq_low

master_gain
track_gain
cue_gain
record_gain

mixer_eq_gain
dibb 2:34 PM - 18 February, 2016
I'll get back here next week, hopefully posting the xml with mapping.
Next time I will bring my AMX with me on holidays. I'm dying to try this out.. ;)
katmoda 2:52 PM - 18 February, 2016
maybe useful

platter_touch
platter_move
platter_skip_mode
platter_scratch_mode_without_touch
katmoda 2:54 PM - 18 February, 2016
trim
aux_trim
trim
rtrim

also

RTRIM
katmoda 2:55 PM - 18 February, 2016
apologies

stupid auto correct

trim
aux_trim
ltrim
rtrim
katmoda 3:39 PM - 18 February, 2016
deck_eq_hi
deck_eq_low
deck_eq_mid
deck_filter_auto
deck_filter_active
deck_filter_frequency

active_deck_layer
active_deck_toggle
deck_activate

Thats all for now, I need do some work! ;-)
nikodb 4:04 PM - 18 February, 2016
One thing to keep in mind is that the eqs and gain is not a simple notes# On Off hack and will need some CC hacks typed in there.....Also, here is a dn sc2000 mapping with full platter hack commands for anybody else interested, on adding some extra info to the xml...

www.radikarl.de
katmoda 4:34 PM - 18 February, 2016
TY nikodb for the link

couple more that may be of help

ShiftLeft
ShiftRight
dibb 5:04 PM - 18 February, 2016
For the AMX I'm trying to get this mapping to work:
- gain encoders (without shift) > fine pitch [pitch_slider_relative_fine]
- treble eq knobs > mixer gain [gain, trim, ?]
- mid eq knobs > high eq [deck_eq_hi]

Plan is to map each knob temporarily to another (cc) parameter that is mappable in the midi-panel, then open the xml and change the temporarily variable to the desired [destination variable].

If anyone could try this, please do! :)
katmoda 6:03 PM - 18 February, 2016
the values i found are

pitch_slider_relative_fine
pitch_slider_relative_fine_full_range
pitch_slider_relative_coarse
pitch_slider_relative_coarse_full_range

I will try when i get home ;)
katmoda 6:21 PM - 18 February, 2016
ok those don't work....
dibb 10:03 PM - 18 February, 2016
hmm.. what exactly did you try? in the temporarily mapping of the gain knob, did you select the 2 complements option? also check the xml file for double entries and delete those. if you could post the xml I can take a look..
katmoda 7:32 PM - 21 February, 2016
i found the endless gain encoder has a very poor resolution

I compared that to the resolution on the treble and it was bad.... i could get at best .4 jumps in bpm where on the treble i could get .1 bpm....
nikodb 8:24 PM - 21 February, 2016
Quote:
i found the endless gain encoder has a very poor resolution

I compared that to the resolution on the treble and it was bad.... i could get at best .4 jumps in bpm where on the treble i could get .1 bpm....

What exactly are you trying to map and where?
katmoda 2:47 PM - 22 February, 2016
i tried to map the endless encoder without using a shift modifier to adjust the pitch....
Tried all that i could think of... I couldn't get the resolution to match what it is like on the default out of the box serato mapping
nikodb 3:40 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
i tried to map the endless encoder without using a shift modifier to adjust the pitch....
Tried all that i could think of... I couldn't get the resolution to match what it is like on the default out of the box serato mapping

Ok i see what you mean now...that's probably an issue with the sdj midi panel...There was a similar complain for the main interface before, when pitch (while on shift) was 2 bpm instead of 1 for the first version of sdj supporting this unit....Not really sure if you can do anything about it....
katmoda 5:14 PM - 22 February, 2016
hopefully the next update will address it ;) unless somebody else can work it out ;)
nikodb 6:17 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
hopefully the next update will address it ;) unless somebody else can work it out ;)

Αkiems hack is your only solution for now i guess...it actually addresses exactly what you looking for...Having shift on will alter some stuff though, just make sure these don't bother you before you modify the unit, should you decide to...
katmoda 10:16 PM - 22 February, 2016
thanks for the advice ;)

for now I'll hold tight. It was more of a nice to have rather than going down the route of hardware hacking the device. ;)

Maybe in the future things will be more open ;)
dibb 11:44 AM - 23 February, 2016
Hey guys,

I have most of it working now except - like katmoda mentions - the pitch resolution is pretty low (coarse).

However, I did manage to remap the eq knobs and found the mixer gain! (the xml name is "trim")

So I now have:
- gain encoders (without shift) > (coarse) pitch sliders
- treble eq knobs > mixer gains
- mid eq knobs > high eqs

Maybe someone from Serato could chime in and help us with mapping the endless encoder to the FINE pitch control?? :)

Cheers!
dibb 11:46 AM - 23 February, 2016
Oh, and here's the mapping of course:

<midi app=" 1.8.1.8994">
<control channel="1" event_type="Control Change" data_type="Relative 2&apos;s Complement" control="60">
<userio event="click">
<pitch_slider deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
<translation action_on="any" behaviour="explicit"/>
</pitch_slider>
</userio>
</control>
<control channel="1" event_type="Control Change" data_type="Relative 2&apos;s Complement" control="61">
<userio event="click">
<pitch_slider deck_set="Default" deck_id="1" slot_id="0">
</pitch_slider>
</userio>
</control>
<control channel="1" event_type="Control Change" control="14">
<userio event="click">
<trim deck_set="Default" deck_id="1" slot_id="0">
</trim>
</userio>
</control>
<control channel="1" event_type="Control Change" data_type="Absolute 7" control="10">
<userio event="click">
<trim deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
</trim>
</userio>
</control>
<control channel="1" event_type="Control Change" control="9">
<userio event="click">
<deck_eq_hi deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
</deck_eq_hi>
</userio>
</control>
<control channel="1" event_type="Control Change" data_type="Absolute 7" control="13">
<userio event="click">
<deck_eq_hi deck_set="Default" deck_id="1" slot_id="0">
</deck_eq_hi>
</userio>
</control>
</midi>
nikodb 11:08 AM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Oh, and here's the mapping of course:

<midi app=" 1.8.1.8994">
<control channel="1" event_type="Control Change" data_type="Relative 2&apos;s Complement" control="60">
[u]
<pitch_slider deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
</pitch_slider>
</userio>
</control>
<control channel="1" event_type="Control Change" data_type="Relative 2&apos;s Complement" control="61">
[u]
<pitch_slider deck_set="Default" deck_id="1" slot_id="0">
</pitch_slider>
</userio>
</control>
[u]
</trim>
</userio>
</control>
<control channel="1" event_type="Control Change" data_type="Absolute 7" control="10">
[u]
</trim>
</userio>
</control>
<control channel="1" event_type="Control Change" control="9">
[u]
<deck_eq_hi deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
</deck_eq_hi>
</userio>
</control>
<control channel="1" event_type="Control Change" data_type="Absolute 7" control="13">
[u]
<deck_eq_hi deck_set="Default" deck_id="1" slot_id="0">
</deck_eq_hi>
</userio>
</control>
</midi>

Excellent work :) Cheers and thanks for sharing...i think i ll just go and buy that unit agian now :)
dibb 1:06 PM - 24 February, 2016
You're welcome. Couldn't have done it without the strings-command tip! ;)

Still trying to figure out the fine pitch control..
nikodb 1:57 PM - 28 April, 2016
Quote:
You're welcome. Couldn't have done it without the strings-command tip! ;)

Still trying to figure out the fine pitch control..

I am about to repurchase an AMX tomorrow and plan on moving the gains function to the High eq knob, while also plan on making the bass eq knob to control mids among with bass control....(like an oldschool scratch mixer)....

I am completely unfamiliar with SDJ mapping and find it different than the SL remapping value, which i am quite accustomed...I did notice you using two different data types per side...can you confirm this works as expected?..Shouldn't you be able to just duplicate the data and only change deck ids and CC control numbers, in order to make it work? you have an absolute data set to 7 there that and was a bit confusing to me...what am i missing?

<userio event="click">
</trim>
</userio>
</control>

<userio event="click">
</trim>
</userio>
</control>

Cheers
Nik
dibb 9:32 PM - 29 April, 2016
He nikodb,

I guess you've caught an inconsistency in my mapping.. :)

I've just unpacked my AMX and retested my mapping (I don't use my AMX that often) and can confirm that both channels (left and right, or 0 and 1) behave as wanted with regards to the channel gain / trim. So probably you can just leave the "absolute" tag out.

Cheers,
dibb
nikodb 2:28 PM - 30 April, 2016
Quote:
He nikodb,

I guess you've caught an inconsistency in my mapping.. :)

I've just unpacked my AMX and retested my mapping (I don't use my AMX that often) and can confirm that both channels (left and right, or 0 and 1) behave as wanted with regards to the channel gain / trim. So probably you can just leave the "absolute" tag out.

Cheers,
dibb

Hey Dibb...would you be kind enough to send me that working xml to my email at your conviniece ? i will send you my email pm...

I cannot figure it out so easily and can sure use a working XML to experiment on it

Cheers
Nik
nikodb 3:24 PM - 30 April, 2016
Ηey no worries...just figured everything out!!!
DJWASHDOWN 1:32 PM - 20 March, 2018
2 years later!

Using SDJ on a Macbook pro

Anybody have success midi mapping something on the AMX to be the pitch slider.

I would love to be able to use the channel faders (ex shift + channel fader = pitch slider)

Any tips?
deejdave 3:06 AM - 21 March, 2018
I mapped the gains to be pitch "sliders" and they work great.
DJWASHDOWN 2:43 PM - 21 March, 2018
thanks man, the gain + shift button actually works much better than i thought
nikodb 11:07 PM - 27 May, 2018
Quote:
thanks man, the gain + shift button actually works much better than i thought

I also have had success of maping the highs to be trim gains....and found them a little too semsitive compared to an average mixer trim....shift with the encoders felt better actually