Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Bug: Serato DJ unable to read Initial Key/TKEY from ID3v2 Tag on FLACs

Formica 5:15 PM - 7 July, 2015
This is an existing issue as described in this thread:

serato.com

This issue appears to be unresolved as of Serato DJ 1.7.6.

I have examined the ID3 tags of these FLAC files using TagLib and explicitly written the data to the TKEY frame, and Serato DJ still cannot pick it up.

Because Serato chooses not to publish an API or specification for its ID3 frames or the V2 database format, I have no choice but to manually input the key information for hundreds of files. I have actually partially decoded the V2 database format, but I still have not figured out how to write the Key.

The gig for which I ripped these songs is this Friday. Is there any way to work around this issue, or must I use a different format from FLAC if I wish to read Key information from the file? I can re-convert the files to 320kbps MP3 if I must, but I was really hoping to start using lossless audio.

Thanks,

Formica
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:39 PM - 7 July, 2015
lol bug reported 2013, still not fixed in 2015,

as mentioned by a serato mod in the link you posted things get prioritised,

and the list goes as follows,

#1 add new hardware
#2 add new expansion packs
#3 everything else that comes up
#4 fix bugs
Formica 8:07 PM - 7 July, 2015
Follow-up:

Another problem that may be related to this bug: If I edit the Key value for a FLAC in Serato DJ, it does not write it to the TKEY frame.

I decided to re-rip the CDs as wavs. It's only ~9GB. Still, it'd be nice to have twice the space for lossless tracks.

I could work around this problem if I had programmatic access to the V2 database. I had worked on figuring out the format and got most of the information, but the Serato DJ-specific ID3v2 tags were still incomprehensible to me. I stopped working on it when I figured out that the ID3v2 tag was the best way to get information into the V2 database anyhow; unfortunately this bug prevents that for FLACs.

If Serato were to give us an API for the V2 database, or even just a published format we could edit in an unsupported fashion, I could achieve my original goal of a tag/sort/rename utility with Serato DJ functionality. Pretty please, Serato? :)
Name already taken 6:39 PM - 15 November, 2018
Hi, I have started another thread related to issues with Flac files. Please check it out. Any constructive input you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(hopefully someday serato Flac will work properly, but until then maybe we can combine our knowledge to best work around these issues)

Link to thread - serato.com