Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Post fader FX when using SL3 or SL4 box

AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 5:28 PM - 14 January, 2015
It would be great if we could route the FX to one of the spare channel outs on the SL3 and SL4 boxes in order to give post fader FX.
I like to use reverb and delay when cutting and dropping samples but they need to continue when the fader is closed. We could use a spare channel out as a wet/dry for the FX.
I have read that this used to be a feature and was removed?
olemard 6:06 PM - 14 January, 2015
+1 Please this feature would be amazing for those of us who use an analog mixer!
DJ SP (UK) 8:07 PM - 14 January, 2015
+1

I don't see any reason why this can't be done. Using a spare input/output on the SL3 and SL4 as an FX loop would be a great feature!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:29 AM - 15 January, 2015
Yup we used to be able to do this when SDJ first came out, I guess it was a fluke or a bug that they had to fix and now we lost it 😔

But yeah here's my +1
djsmuggla 6:24 PM - 15 January, 2015
What we cant do this? Yea they need to bring this back, so the effects fade out nicely...
kebzer 1:50 PM - 16 January, 2015
Well, I tried also but no response yet...

serato.com
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 6:40 PM - 16 January, 2015
The more I think about how to route the FX with SL box and analogue mixer, the more I believe it will only be possible if you have FX send return on your mixer.
If we were to get serato to route the effected audio to aux out, for instance, then the effected audio would be constant as the SL box does not know what the fader is doing. So my cuts wold not be effected it would just be the audio going backwards and forwards with a permanently open fader.
Am I missing something or can you all see what I am saying?
DJ SP (UK) 11:40 PM - 16 January, 2015
AMO, that's exactly what we're asking for here.

For example, being able to connect the FX send of a mixer to the AUX input of an SL3, and the AUX output of the SL3 to the FX return of the mixer, thus providing the ability to use software FX post fader.
DJMIYAGI 9:43 PM - 20 January, 2015
+1!!! This would be awesome
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:07 PM - 20 March, 2015
@the SOUNDINSURGENT,

Quote:
Yup we used to be able to do this when SDJ first came out, I guess it was a fluke or a bug that they had to fix and now we lost it

What are you talking about? We've never offered a post fader effect option in Serato DJ or Scratch Live for these devices.

Quote:
If we were to get serato to route the effected audio to aux out, for instance, then the effected audio would be constant as the SL box does not know what the fader is doing. So my cuts wold not be effected it would just be the audio going backwards and forwards with a permanently open fader.

AMO is right - how can you have post fader effects work correctly when you don't know where the fader is? When you apply an echo and take that fader down, the effects engine loops the last section of audio it received and feeds it back.

Regardless of your approach to use a FX loop on the mixer, or a spare channel on the soundcard, the software effects would be applied to a software deck, then the effect signal could be outputted to a separate channel, sure. But the effects engine, nor the software deck knows when you cut your fader on the mixer, so the feedback signal would go forever and feedback new pieces of audio, instead of only feeding back the last section of audio you wanted to echo on, and elegantly fading out aka "the echo out" :)

There are a few potential solutions to this problem even, but the post fader fx feature is not as simple as you imagine it could be.
Dj FREAZER 11:35 PM - 20 March, 2015
Hi Martin !
There are some alternatives "trick" to get done post fader with SL3 / 4 ??

As you say, if the mixer has midi crossfader could implement the opcion "post fader delay" ?

Thanks !
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:35 AM - 21 March, 2015
Hey Dj FREAZER,

Quote:
There are some alternatives "trick" to get done post fader with SL3 / 4 ??

I see Konix suggested something here: serato.com but I have not personally tried it.

Quote:
As you say, if the mixer has midi crossfader could implement the opcion "post fader delay" ?

That would help, but we'd need a provide some way of MIDI mapping your fader to the software.