Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Post fader FX for SL3/SL4 boxes

kebzer 8:55 AM - 4 September, 2014
Guys,

now that you got things sorted with 1.7, I think it is time to start growing inside your team the idea of having post fader FX for our SL3/SL4 boxes.

The idea is simple: allow the output of the FX panel to be routed individually to the AUX channel. Only the output, not the input.

I hope we can finally have this feature. We have all paid quite much for our beloved boxes, yet we are missing a very crucial feature.
kebzer 10:56 AM - 20 November, 2014
Is it possible to have an answer or comment on this?
lindsaymar 3:48 AM - 23 November, 2014
+1
I was trying to figure how to do this tonight. I thought I was going crazy. Is this really not a feature? I thought I must have been missing something.
Effects without a tail are no fun.
lindsaymar 3:52 AM - 23 November, 2014
... or said another way:
How do I route SDJ's FX through my SL3's Aux-Output channel?
lindsaymar 10:44 PM - 26 November, 2014
Kebzer. I just found a solution buried in a post.
You can open your 3rd virtual deck, set it to Through Mode.
Open your FX panel and set both of the FX outputs from 1&2 both to 3.
Connect from your Aux Out on your SL3 into a spare channel on you mixer (or to your mixers send and return.)
Now the FX tail/effect should be sent through your virtual 3rd Deck and out of your Aux Out (on your SL3) to whatever input on your mixer you choose.

I've only had a quick play with this but it seems to work. I hope this helps you.
lindsaymar 3:47 AM - 27 November, 2014
... sorry. I spoke too soon. I get some kind of weird feedback when I feed the FX through the Aux Out of the SL3 straight into a a spare channel.
How the original post suggested doing it was feeding the SL3 Aux Out through the send and return on your mixer. I unfortunately don't have the cables required to test it.
Bah, I thought I had it there for a second. Sorry.
kebzer 12:25 PM - 27 November, 2014
Thanks for the effort lindsaymar, but how do you route the FX IN for channels 1 & 2?

Also, this feedback might be caused due to WET/DRY wrong ratio. Try lowering the gain volume on the spare channel where you route the output of the AUX channel.
lindsaymar 3:24 PM - 27 November, 2014
Hey Kebzer

Regarding the FX IN: I was confused by that too. I always thought the FX OUT selectors (1,2,3) in the FX panel were FX input selectors but I think they're actually output selectors. So it just kind of worked. Give it a go & see if you can figure anything more out.

I'll have a play with the gain and see if that fixes the feedback.
lindsaymar 1:30 PM - 28 November, 2014
Hahahahaha. I just figured out what was happening:

My Record Out from my mixer is connected to the Aux-In on my SL3 (to record sets.)
The reason why it (kind of) worked was having my virtual 3rd deck set to Thru Mode would pick up the Rec-Out from my mixer (so treating the audio like it's coming from a 3rd turntable playing real vinyl. Picking it up via my mixer's Rec output) and sending it through SDJ's effects and then out to my spare channel on my mixer. I still don't quite understand where the feedback came from... hell I didn't know that SDJ could put an effect on a straight audio signal that was sent through it... so apparently this brings us back to....

Serato, Can we please route FX output through our SL3/SL4 boxes? The same way you can route the SP6's output. Is there something difficult that's prohibiting this feature?
lindsaymar 5:51 PM - 28 November, 2014
.... The feedback is coming from the fact that my mixer is sending the fx back out and into SDJ's fx and creates a feeback loop. Jesh. Sorry, I should have worked that out a lot quicker :)
kebzer 9:46 AM - 2 December, 2014
Still, your accidental routing almost made it work!
kebzer 11:36 AM - 5 December, 2014
Bump!

Are we gonna get any official word from Serato regarding this? It is a hell of an important topic for any kind of user.
kebzer 11:53 AM - 12 December, 2014
Bump!

Can we get someone from Serato to tells us what is going on with post fader FX?
Jimi_Hoffa 8:22 AM - 15 December, 2014
Would love to see this on the djm-900srt also!
Quite surprised that this isn't a feature, since it's a mixer made for SDJ..
kebzer 3:00 PM - 23 December, 2014
It seems that Akai AMX has post-fader FX but we can't have them in our SL boxes.

What the hell is going on?!
DJ Compiler 1:03 AM - 24 December, 2014
The Akai AMX sends Midi data so Serato knows when the faders have been pulled down. This allows it to adjust the input into the FX unit. That's why its able to work on that.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:17 PM - 24 December, 2014
Quote:
It seems that Akai AMX has post-fader FX but we can't have them in our SL boxes.

What the hell is going on?!

Yup it used work and then they stopped it!! They called it a fluk so I imagine they'll probably charge us for this feature in the future!!
kebzer 8:26 AM - 30 December, 2014
Charging for post fader FX feature? That's a big nope for me. I've paid for the other updates and found it fair to do so, but paying for a feature like post fader FX is completely unfair. This is a basic feature that is still missing from Serato for some strange reason...
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 5:39 PM - 16 January, 2015
Come on Serato it must be an easy fix

Here's my request for the same

serato.com
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 6:37 PM - 16 January, 2015
The more I think about how to route the FX with SL box and analogue mixer, the more I believe it will only be possible if you have FX send return on your mixer.
If we were to get serato to route the effected audio to aux out, for instance, then the effected audio would be constant as the SL box does not know what the fader is doing. So my cuts wold not be effected it would just be the audio going backwards and forwards with a permanently open fader.
Am I missing something or can you all see what I am saying?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:45 PM - 16 January, 2015
Right you HAVE to have fx send/return on your mixer other wise you could probably do with a spare channel but it'd be tricky.......
DJ Compiler 6:48 PM - 16 January, 2015
Can't you theoretically do this now with your send-return. I don't run DVS but I do a lot of audio routing and I do believe that this would work for what you guys are wanting as long as you have an input that you don't want to use to control playback.

1.) Set the "FX Deck" to THRU mode. This will let the pure audio from your deck be played through Serato. It's typically utilized so that you can use Serato's effects on your vinyl collection.

2.) Plug your mixer's send output into the "FX Deck's" input on the SL box.

3.) Plug the output of "FX Deck" into your mixer's return input.

4.) Apply your desired FX to the "FX Deck" within Serato and use the mixer's send controls just like you would with a dedicated FX unit

Hope that works for somebody
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 7:21 PM - 16 January, 2015
Yeah that's what I was thinking but it would be effecting it pre fader I think?
Therefore if I am cutting with the fader then the effect would be constantly open fader? Very confusing lol
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 7:22 PM - 16 January, 2015
I am talking crossfader not line fader, this may make a difference?
DJ Compiler 7:52 PM - 16 January, 2015
I'm not sure where send return loops return on a DJ mixer but I know on regular sound boards they are typically post fader. Meaning that you would get the feature you desire. Only one way to know for sure though. Someone will have to try it. ;)
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 8:08 PM - 16 January, 2015
I'm not running a mixer with send return so this will not work for me anyway 👎
I can imagine the sends may be post line fader but I would be suprised if it was post crossfader.
can anyone with fx send returns confirm if this works?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:11 AM - 17 January, 2015
Here's the thread where they say you COULD DO IT but it was a bug and now you can't. You can roll to pervious version where it would would which I think is before 1.6 but anyways everything you need to know is here, serato.com/forum/discussion/1404085
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:13 AM - 17 January, 2015
Here, serato.com

And here, serato.com
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:12 PM - 20 March, 2015
Quote:
Here's the thread where they say you COULD DO IT but it was a bug and now you can't. You can roll to pervious version where it would would which I think is before 1.6 but anyways everything you need to know is here, serato.com/forum/discussion/1404085

That is not post fader effects, its THRU mode effects. They are different things.

THRU mode effects was not a bug, it was something that was possible so we chose to do it. At the time we didn't realise the unfortunate side effect of switching from "software THRU" to "hardware THRU" causing a brief audio cut.

For the purpose of users who use a power supply with their soundcard, being able to switch to an analogue source, disconnect the USB, then pass the USB over to the next DJ, we had to sacrifice thru mode software effects.

A seamless changeover from digital to analogue is the most important use case here, and something that has been achievable in Scratch Live from day one. We didn't want to do anything to compromise that, so we pulled back from that change.
Dj D.ONE 12:57 AM - 5 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

That is not post fader effects, its THRU mode effects. They are different things.

THRU mode effects was not a bug, it was something that was possible so we chose to do it. At the time we didn't realise the unfortunate side effect of switching from "software THRU" to "hardware THRU" causing a brief audio cut.

For the purpose of users who use a power supply with their soundcard, being able to switch to an analogue source, disconnect the USB, then pass the USB over to the next DJ, we had to sacrifice thru mode software effects.

A seamless changeover from digital to analogue is the most important use case here, and something that has been achievable in Scratch Live from day one. We didn't want to do anything to compromise that, so we pulled back from that change.

maybe add a ON/OFF thing in the setup só we can all be happy?
Juankar 2:18 PM - 29 January, 2017
+1
Dave The One 1:29 PM - 15 May, 2017
+1

We've. We've been begging for this feature for years.
I have a ure 1620 rotary mixer with an efx in/out loop and would welcome this feature.
Dj D.ONE 7:21 PM - 24 February, 2018
+1
Z-Point 5:53 AM - 2 April, 2020
+1

I don’t doubt, that this (or something like it) will be A LOT of work...

I’m also sure, that it will absolutely confuse some people, by design, being separate from other FX, but RTFM. <3