DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Just bought a new Macbook Pro Retina

Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:28 AM - 23 February, 2014
And damn did it hurt the bank this time......

Grrrrr....

What sucks is that in order to get the 1tb PCIe Flash drive you MUST choose the high end Macbook Pro 13 inch.....

But...

If you do your research correctly, you will notice that the base line 13inch Macbook Retina and the High End Model both utilize interchangeable PCIe Flash Drives....... soo meaning you can take a 1Tb PCIe Stick from one model and place it in the next, theoretically.

But in my all experience this is can be done and I have heard of those that have gone the extra lengths to trying it and having it work.....

But dammit..... Its hard finding a 1tb PCIe..... Them boys on Ebay really cashing in by selling them for upwards of $1,000 a piece.
DJ Unique 1:16 AM - 23 February, 2014
I financed the sucker via BarclayBank through the Apple Store.
Zero percent financing for 18 months.

15"
2.6 GHZ
16 Gig Ram
1 TB Flash HD
2 GIG VRAM
ninos 3:22 AM - 23 February, 2014
I got mine too, brand new 15" retina,

2.3ghz i7
16 GB ddr3
1tb HD.

its a BEAST. had a very beastly price too
Mighty Dragon Sounds 3:50 AM - 23 February, 2014
How fast is the 1TB hard drive.... Some best buy tech was telling me that they are slower then their 512g counterpart PCI Flash drives....
ninos 10:02 AM - 23 February, 2014
Quote:
How fast is the 1TB hard drive.... Some best buy tech was telling me that they are slower then their 512g counterpart PCI Flash drives....

Its deffilitney not slow. Its superrr quick
Mighty Dragon Sounds 3:01 PM - 23 February, 2014
I had some USB drop out issues and I know it was prob predominately SDJ 1.6.... but 4 times at last nights gig was pretty annoying...... wonder if the faster bigger processor will just take it like cake.
 6 5:24 PM - 23 February, 2014
:)
Will08272 5:31 PM - 23 February, 2014
I think the the pcie drive apple uses is proprietary, supposidly owc is going to be offering the only third party solution. And from the i fix it guides ive seen taking apart the latest to upgrade that is pretty much impossible.
Will08272 5:38 PM - 23 February, 2014
Just took another look at the ifixit tear downs and the ssd upgrade if and when they become avaliable doesnt look that hard. So i take back my earlier comment.
Code:E 6:28 AM - 24 February, 2014
Anybody doing any cool video stuff with those new 15 inch Mac Book Pro Retina's?
ral 3:46 PM - 24 February, 2014
the only processor hungry is pitch n time

if you're just going to mix videos, no prob.
scratching, expect to see tons of usb dropout lights
Mighty Dragon Sounds 4:15 PM - 24 February, 2014
Quote:

No wonder I've been having so many drop outs lately..... I just recently got that add on...... Will see how it performs with my new Macbook with the Dual Core i5
Code:E 5:11 PM - 24 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

No wonder I've been having so many drop outs lately..... I just recently got that add on...... Will see how it performs with my new Macbook with the Dual Core i5

Well I dont use time code's so I'm interested to see if that will affect anything.

So USB drop outs are not right. And just to be clear thats a SDJ thing not a SSL thing right? I wonder if Serato needs to do a firmware update to the serato boxes to stop that from happening? I'm not replacing my SL4 anytime soon just because my new soon to be laptop will have USB 3.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 5:26 PM - 24 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well I dont use time code's so I'm interested to see if that will affect anything.

So USB drop outs are not right. And just to be clear thats a SDJ thing not a SSL thing right? I wonder if Serato needs to do a firmware update to the serato boxes to stop that from happening? I'm not replacing my SL4 anytime soon just because my new soon to be laptop will have USB 3.

Well when I first was playing out: Studio and Live Gigs...

SDJ 1.6 w/o Pitch n time and my Old Early 2011 Macbook Pro w/ 8 gb Ram and 1tb Hybrid Hard Drive.
No Issues, no USB drop outs, nothing. Did a quick video test and things seem to be fine.

Downloaded Pitch n Time and activated it keeping everything the same.....
I've noticed USB drop outs especially with intensive scratching...

I turned it off this morning and haven't had the chance to give it a go again yet. Its going to be about another week until my new MBP arrives so lets see how it performs tonight.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 5:31 PM - 24 February, 2014
Yea based on the Rane Help Forums, disabling Pitch N Time will solve the USB drop out issues with our 62s
eugguy 12:08 AM - 25 February, 2014
I love my Late 2013 MacBook Retina.
DJBotz 1:45 PM - 25 February, 2014
Quote:
Yea based on the Rane Help Forums, disabling Pitch N Time will solve the USB drop out issues with our 62s

Awesome, you get to pay all that loot for a bad ass mixer, then have to disable features you want...bull$hit if you ask me.
the_black_one 1:46 PM - 25 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome, you get to pay all that loot for a bad ass mixer, then have to disable features you want...bull$hit if you ask me.

Total bs

Nm nh
raequan 2:29 PM - 25 February, 2014
Quote:

you bought a 62 for what sdj or ssl?

i bought my 62 for ssl in july 2013 .. no more sl boxes to connect... no extra rca jacks...

i have no expectations for sdj on my 62 when i bought it..... when they get the bugs fixed then i will switch over.

am i getting my money's worth yes.... faster setup time faster break down time.
pdidy 8:48 AM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

this is why the smart dj let you guys do all the foot work bitchin an complaining playing lab rat.....lol

then we jump right in once yall get it up an running.....

but we thank you for your dedication.....:)
Mighty Dragon Sounds 2:04 PM - 26 February, 2014
One thing I do regret though...... I wished I would have went 16gb of Ram.....

based on all my research.... 8gb doing what we do is sustainable for the next 4 to 5 years easy doing all the audio and some music video editing.......

but just knowing that 16 gb was there at my finger tips for another $180.00 grrrrrrrrrrrr

That 1tb SSD pretty much maxed my wallet........ If I would have been able to go with a slower processor I could have went 1tb and 16gb ram but from what I am told.... the faster processor would use less ram when performing so I guess its a trade for trade.
 6 2:44 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:

based on all my research.... 8gb doing what we do is sustainable for the next 4 to 5 years easy doing all the audio and some music video editing.......

but just knowing that 16 gb was there at my finger tips for another $180.00 grrrrrrrrrrrr

That 1tb SSD pretty much maxed my wallet........ If I would have been able to go with a slower processor I could have went 1tb and 16gb ram but from what I am told.... the faster processor would use less ram when performing so I guess its a trade for trade.

This is why I've been holding on on buying a new retina. I would have to fully max it or it would be a no buy for me.

nm
ral 5:17 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:

can you return it?? its less than a month rite?

id rather have 512gb ssd and 16gb ram
Mighty Dragon Sounds 5:23 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

can you return it?? its less than a month rite?

id rather have 512gb ssd and 16gb ram

I actually just did this morning.... It was almost in the processing of being shipped out but I was able to cancel my order and get it bumped up to 16gb ram.....

I got into an argument with a classmate of mine this morning and he convinced me pretty much to make the drastic change.... lol

But having everything on my laptop is a big deal to me.... I have lost/broken too many external Drives in my career.
Zeroaccess 11:44 PM - 30 March, 2014
Quote:

15"
2.6 GHZ
16 Gig Ram
1 TB Flash HD
2 GIG VRAM

I just bought the same model today how do you like it?
DJ Unique 1:47 AM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

15"
2.6 GHZ
16 Gig Ram
1 TB Flash HD
2 GIG VRAM

I love it so far.
I've only used it for DJing and sometimes run Serato Video or M.E. and zero glitches. The only glitch I've seen is SSL 2.5 crashes on exit when the Rane 62 is plugged in. I also tried Serato DJ and no problems there either.
DJMark 1:54 AM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

15"
2.6 GHZ
16 Gig Ram
1 TB Flash HD
2 GIG VRAM

I love it so far.
I've only used it for DJing and sometimes run Serato Video or M.E. and zero glitches. The only glitch I've seen is SSL 2.5 crashes on exit when the Rane 62 is plugged in.

Please see my bug report about that issue here:

serato.com

Be sure to read the whole thread for my bizarre-land workaround.
Zeroaccess 2:34 AM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

15"
2.6 GHZ
16 Gig Ram
1 TB Flash HD
2 GIG VRAM

I love it so far.
I've only used it for DJing and sometimes run Serato Video or M.E. and zero glitches. The only glitch I've seen is SSL 2.5 crashes on exit when the Rane 62 is plugged in. I also tried Serato DJ and no problems there either.

Awesome can't wait for it to come in!
ninos 8:39 AM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

15"
2.6 GHZ
16 Gig Ram
1 TB Flash HD
2 GIG VRAM

I love it so far.

I have the same crash when closing scratch live on the 62
ral 1:47 PM - 31 March, 2014
did you guys update to the latest 62 firmware? it says ssl/sdj fix
DJMark 6:02 PM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:

It doesn't fix the problem of SL 2.5 crashing on exit with the latest Retina MBP's.

serato.com
DJ Unique 4:41 AM - 1 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't fix the problem of SL 2.5 crashing on exit with the latest Retina MBP's.

serato.com

Nope.
I updated the firmware and it did not help.
DJMark 11:51 PM - 1 April, 2014
Quote:
serato.com

It might help resolution of this issue if others with the same problem posted to that thread.
Kiwikidinlux 4:09 AM - 2 April, 2014
perfectly happy with my macbook pro retina 13' 128GB HD, I just use portable external hard drives for mac for file storage :)