Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Audio crackling after a few hours.

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Numark NS6
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
bluefoot 2:30 PM - 8 February, 2014
Following on from a previous help request: (serato.com)

I just updated to the new serato 1.6 (1603972), hoping it would solve my crackling audio problem.

But I still get the same crackling sound after 4 hours :(

Following advice from others I tried increasing the latency from 2ms to 5ms when I heard the crackling.

This did solve the crackling.

But I don't want to have to live at 5ms latency. More to the point I don't think I should have to live at 5ms latency considering my Mac specs -

My Mac is 2.9GHz Intel Core i7 and I have 8gb ram. Mac is optimised for audio (bluetooth, airport, screensaver, hard disk sleep etc all off).

Now that I am on the latest version of serato DJ (which claims to support NS6 on Mavericks) can you offer any new ideas for things I can try?

Cheers.
DJ Sonny Abad 1:21 PM - 10 February, 2014
Too much Latency, irritating to practice even when i got it at the lowest setting the latency is still too much for scratching makes it a turn off when practicing.... Was not like this before not fun anymore practicing :( Don't know whats causing it to become less efficient.

Macbook Air 13 (2014 w/Mavricks using Serato 1.6) Guess i have to bust out the old turntables again and use serato scratch.
bluefoot 11:06 AM - 13 February, 2014
FYI -
Just to rule it out I recently did 2 more soak tests using a fresh USB cable and tested in both USB ports.

After 4 hours the crackle returns.

By increasing my latency the crackle goes away.

I don't want to sacrifice my latency for audio quality.

Each time I do this test it takes 4 hours out of my life.

Pls Help.
Serato, Support
Mak T 10:33 PM - 16 February, 2014
Hey Bluefoot,

Thanks for getting in touch. This is odd that this is occurring or you.

- Have you considered trying your controller with another computer to see if the issue persists?

- Have you updated the drivers for your Numark NS6?

Cheers

Mak T
bluefoot 4:13 PM - 17 February, 2014
Hey Mak,

Thanks for the response mate.

I have updated the drivers on the NS6. Using the NS6 USB Audio panel it shows I am using driver 2.2.6 and firmware - 1.0.3 (k1).

I have considered trying this on another machine but my spare machine is my backup. I really dont want to have to take the time to upgrade that Mac to mavericks and Serato DJ. Especially as I rely on this backup machine for gigs at the moment and rolling back (if the fault is replicated) would be another time consuming process which I won't have time for before this weekend :(

That said I will if it is the only option.

Before that tho - A friend recommended I try checking the Harddrive disk using disk utility on my Macbook. It found issues, which it solved, so I soak-tested the NS6 again - same problems with audio crackling.

So I went back to see if the disk utility found any problems had returned. It didnt find anything wrong using "verify disk" but did find issues with "disk permissions".
I clicked "repair disk permissions" and then ran "verify disk" again -

I will soak test again on Thursday but in the meantime if there is anything else you think I can try without having to risk my backup suffering the same issue I would really appreciate it.
Cheers.
bluefoot 10:00 AM - 26 February, 2014
UPDATE - Latest soak test 25th feb2014

I ran "verify disk permissions" and "verify disk" using the disk utility on Mac OS.
This was simply to check their was nothing wrong before the test.

This time I was able to listen to the audio throughout the soak test. At exactly 4 hours into the test the same audio crackle appeared. By reducing latency from 1ms to 2ms the crackle disappeared. After another hour the crackle reappeared at 2ms latency. I stopped the test.

I then ran "verify disk permissions" again and it found errors. These were fixed using "repair disk permissions". Running "verify disk" returned no errors.

So, it appears something happens every time at the 4 hour mark which causes this crackle. It could be that this is caused by whatever is causing the disk permissions to have issue, or it could be that whatever is causing the disk permission issue is also causing the crackle.

Any thoughts Mak? Or do I really have to risk my backup rig suffering the same fault by updating it and running all these tests again?
6:08 PM, 5 Apr 2014
bluefoot attached a file: serato problem report main mac after mavericks 1st go.doc
Download· Permalink
bluefoot 6:09 PM - 5 April, 2014
Following your advice I finally updated my back up MAC (i5 13”) to use mavericks OS 10.9.2 and serato dj 1.6.1.

Long story short – I now have two machines which cannot be relied upon at gigs and so I am still using Itch to run my NS6. Detailed story with error reports are in the attached .doc

I appreciate this could still be coincidence - that each of my machines has individual faults. It could also be more a mavericks issue than a serato one. But both are only showing this problem with serato dj on mavericks - PLEASE HELP.
bluefoot 2:47 PM - 27 April, 2014
HEY HEY Mak T -

you still around mate? I just updated to the 1.6.2 and no change in my crackle after 4 hours.

Please see reports attached above, please tell me if there is anything else I can tell you, please HELP !
Serato, Support
Mak T 2:27 AM - 28 April, 2014
Hey Bluefoot,

Apologies for late response as I've been away from the office.

- What do you have your Buffer Size set to? What do you need to set it to in order for the cracking to go away?

- If you go into the Setup Screen and under Library & Display - what do you have the 'Maximum Screen Updates' set at? if set at 60, please try reducing this right down to 30. From here close and relaunch the software and test by mixing for an hour or so.

Let me know how you go with this.

Cheers

Mak T
bluefoot 6:29 AM - 28 April, 2014
Hey Mak T,

Buffer size set to 1ms, 2ms or 5ms always results in the same thing - The sound is fine and no issue until about 4 hours of playtime has passed - then audio crackle appears. At this point if I increase buffer size the crackle disappears again for a short while.
Pre- MAvericks and on Itch I could set my buffer to 1ms and had no issues.

Screen Updates are set to 10.

Did you see the attached file above? Are any of those reports any use to you?
Are there any reports or info I can offer you to help you find out what is going on?

I now have 2 Macs both of which do this and am getting pretty frustrated with all this testing, but I want to get to the bottom of this.
RussellBishop 8:50 AM - 28 April, 2014
Hey bluefoot, is this the kind of audio crackle you're describing? Watchwww.youtube.com

My issues sound similar to yours:
serato.com
bluefoot 9:14 AM - 28 April, 2014
kind of - it's pretty hard to tell after playback from youtube mate.
bluefoot 3:07 PM - 2 May, 2014
hey Mak T.

Not sure if this is relevant but i am going to post any findings so you can get the best info and hopefully help me out.

I just played through a playlist with the hardware disconnected. There was no latency issue.

I don't want to jump to conclusions but does this mean the issue is with my NS6?

Please see the error reports attached above, consider that this latency crackling only appears after 4 hours, and does not occur when my NS6 is not being used. Then please let me know what I should do next.
val beatz 3:08 AM - 5 June, 2014
I am having the same issue on a Macbook Pro i7 with a SSD drive (not sure if that makes a difference) after about 3 hours it starts to crackle badly. I have to shut off my controller and turn it back on! (very quickly) This is a recent problem and I know it isn't the NS6 because I used my friend's NS6 and had the same exact issue. I haven't tried the latency/refresh fix. Is this possibly a driver issue? I downloaded the latest driver from Numark.com.

Thank you,
DJGongshow 11:25 AM - 26 June, 2014
I have this problem too... Numark NS7 II and current top-of-the-line MacBook Pro

No matter what I do, crackle starts after 4h.
R_D_Cline 2:44 PM - 26 June, 2014
On one of these threads with the same issue of crackling/ usb drop outs the problem was resolved by using a different version of SDJ. one person had to roll back from 1.6.3 to 1.6.2 and another updated from 1.3 to 1.6.3. just remember to either create a restore point or keep track of your driver versions because rolling back SDJ may not work if you have the current controller drivers and i know controller drivers dont apply to all users. good luck.
PancraZ 3:19 PM - 26 June, 2014
May have been a coincidence but Pitch N Time stopped my similar problem. Then un-clicking keylock really fixed most of my issues. Unfortunately there is no hard key for this. You have to unhighlight it on the GUI. Original NS7 had a keylock button.
DJGongshow 3:46 PM - 26 June, 2014
yeah I had to kill PnT right after I bought it, was making things unstable. can't believe key lock no longer works, my system barely hits 25% CPU at any given time, so I expected this to be a driver issue
bluefoot 2:25 PM - 29 June, 2014
yep, i saw a lot of threads stating PnT had something to do with it.

Althought it may help some users to disable PnT, I never used it so that is not the only solution.

Just found out about the new ticket based support system so am going to submit again.

Until then, I'm still using Itch.
PancraZ 4:56 PM - 30 June, 2014
ITCH did run the best IMO & if I had my original NS7 I'd still be using it. Also loved the dedicated video in the GUI. I unfortunately cannot use ITCH because I purchased the NS7ii. I tried loading it up and it doesn't recognize it.
DJ1855 4:47 PM - 21 September, 2014
Same problem here. Happens a few hours into the event. Serato DJ and the NS7II has left me embarrassed at several gigs. I would love to see the look on people's faces if I said, "Don't worry, Serato's working on an update".

At last night's gig, I disengaged PNT halfway through the event, and still got this distorted sound later in the night that forced me to shout down and restart before continuing. My only hope is that Serato DJ needs to be restarted after disengaging PNT for the problem to not occur. I'll try it at tonight's event.
bluefoot 8:50 PM - 21 September, 2014
Yep, for the sake of knowledge -
I recently updated to 1.7, no change in the issue on either Mac.
Latency set at 1ms and 4 hours into a session the audio crackle returns. Altering latency removes it.
I do not use PnT.

I'm rediscovering my vinyl collection.
DJ1855 6:32 PM - 22 September, 2014
Quote:
Yep, for the sake of knowledge -
I recently updated to 1.7, no change in the issue on either Mac.
Latency set at 1ms and 4 hours into a session the audio crackle returns. Altering latency removes it.
I do not use PnT.

I'm rediscovering my vinyl collection.

bluefoot, are you saying that when you get that crackling issue, you don't need to turn of the NS7II off and back on again? Simply going into settings, moving the latency slider in either direction gets rid of the problem?
bluefoot 6:51 PM - 22 September, 2014
It goes away for a while but returns not long after. FYI I'm on a ns6.
DJ1855 7:01 PM - 22 September, 2014
Quote:
It goes away for a while but returns not long after. FYI I'm on a ns6.

I'm not sure about you and/or other people, I'm getting the issue aprox 4 hours or so into the event. I haven't tried the latency slider solution. I've only turned my unit off and then back on, obviously disrupting the event. Once I do that, I doesn't happen again for the remainder of the event which is normally only lasting another hour or so. I'm assuming that if I was to play for another 3 to 4 hours it would happen again.

Are you saying/thinking that the slider solution is a much shorter time solution? How much longer after have you found that it comes back? Minutes? Hours?

I'm on an NS7II. It'll be interesting to try this method and see if it is temporary fix.
bluefoot 7:12 PM - 22 September, 2014
Minutes only mate.

I get the same issue after 4 hours and sliding the latency only gets me minutes. Normally at gigs I also plug in a back up and reboot. But ive had enough of it now and am looking at other options. I've spent so many afternoons soak testing in my studio on the advice of serato support team.

I can't help but feel not many users actually run their units for that length of time so serato don't get enough complaints to really look into it.

If you want more info search the forums for posts by me. There's plenty of info on here, all since the move from itch.
DJ1855 8:05 PM - 22 September, 2014
Yeah, I've been with Serato for years. This is it for me as well. If things don't get better within the next month or so, I'm jumping ship. All these issues and bugs have become super frustrating. It's now affecting my reputation. I've never been afraid to drop money. This isn't about money. It's about peace of mind. I haven't had a stable setup since scratch live in internal mode with two little shortcut type devices. It's always something, there's always excuses, with occasional but very slow fixes, then only to have new issues. There's more to life than frequenting a forum for fixes and then working with the primary focus on whether or when a problem is happening next.
bluefoot 9:57 AM - 23 September, 2014
Can't say I'm jumping ship.

I run a DJ School in the UK and so feel it only fair to represent everything - Serato, Traktor, VDJ, vinyl, CDJ etc etc - I got to give the youth the opportunity to try everything and decide for themselves. Personally I still think Serato are holding true to DJing more than any other software-based systems.

But after 25 years gigging I have been cutting back over the last few years to concentrate on my teaching anyway.

Having buggy hardware/software hasn't helped me but it's for my own pleasure that I am now re-visiting my vinyl collection.
Panotaker 6:45 PM - 26 September, 2014
I got the same problem, but I'm running an original NS7mk1, and I'm using Itch, not SDJ. After a few hours, by NS7 starts to crackle. I do have Serato DJ installed, but I don't use it. I use Itch, and it still crackles. This problem just started this year. I'm not sure when. I have had my NS7 for years and never had any crackling problems. I got a feeling it is a Mavericks issue.
kregg Jacoby 5:40 AM - 30 September, 2014
I just bought a ns7ii and had a high pitch audio crackle happen as well. Exactly the same problem I was having with the ns6 I had for 2 months. I haven't been tracking the issue as closely as some of the other guys here to directly point to certain time of use, software combo, OSX version but I've now gone through 3 numark (ns7, ns6, ns7ii) decks since June to fix my problems.

I've been blaming other things, my original ns7 (that i used weekly for 4-5 hours and started VJ on as soon as serato video was released) never had a single problem even with Mavericks install last year. The ns7 got about an inch submersed in water during a flood end of June. I let is air dry for 2 weeks before turing it on. Had some random crashes (and if I recall audio crackle issue) and decided the old girl had done her work and it was time to upgrade.

Bought a used ns6 to hold me other till I made a decision between ns7ii, NV, and SX. I didn't love it and between Sept 6 - Sept 20 I started having major issues again with audio after a few hours into a set. Bought a ns7ii last week to use on the 27th thinking that maybe the sound card on the ns6 was bad. Almost 4 hours exactly I had to restart from audio crackle. Also had several 4 more crashes the rest of the night. Very emabrrassing. My laptop is a bit elderly (2009 2.4 i5 8gb ram and dual grfx), but completely clean wiped except for searto dj, serato video, and numark drivers and I've never had a freeze, dropout, lag before June.

Done some reading on the forum and most of the reports seem to be from the first 6 months of 2014 with users that owned a ns7ii, ns6 prior. Was there a mac software/security update from that time that could have cause this? Disappointed that I had 4 wonderful years with my ns7 and now constant issues. I want to forget the hardware and just play.

My only other side note is that I was able to modulate the high pitch crackle with the treble knob of the deck playing. The treble was unresponsive but by rapidly rotating I could get the crackle to stop for a bit before it came back. Let me get through a few songs at the end of the night as I was finishing up my set.
kregg Jacoby 5:45 AM - 30 September, 2014
Also makes me wonder if my old ns7 really has hardware issue or is another casualty of Mac software issues seeming to plague ns6/ns7ii in 2014.

May have to get an older version of SDJ or itch to try out.
Panotaker 9:58 AM - 30 September, 2014
Well I fixed the crackling problem on my original NS7. Numark released some beta drivers and I installed those on my 2012 13" MBP and it looks like it is fixed. I need to do more testing before I trust it, but I left it on for 11 hours yesterday and never got any crackling. These beta drivers are for the original NS7, not the NS7II. I don't know if there are any beta drivers for the NS7II or NS6, so you might want to check. I was also using Itch, not SDJ.
Dilgee 12:01 PM - 21 October, 2014
I have the same issue on my NS6 with this crackling noise after an hour or so, and I'm running the latest driver 3.0.. with SDJ 1.7 on Mac Pro Yosemite. Is no one from Serato or Numark reading here!
westell54 1:17 PM - 21 October, 2014
Did you try out the Beta yet?
Dilgee 1:39 PM - 21 October, 2014
Hi Westell
Thanks for the attention. I'm as we speak doing just that.
PancraZ 2:03 PM - 21 October, 2014
Is there a Numark Beta Driver or SDJ Westell54?
drewsunpro 3:26 PM - 21 October, 2014
maybe a class action lawsuit will get this rolling
Dilgee 3:45 PM - 21 October, 2014
Well, I'm worst off with the beta version. It stated crackling after 2 hours then 10 minutes there after SDJ Crashed on me.
3:47 PM, 21 Oct 2014
Dilgee attached a file: Crash Report
Download· Permalink
Dilgee 3:47 PM - 21 October, 2014
Quote:
Well, I'm worst off with the beta version. It stated crackling after 2 hours then 10 minutes there after SDJ Crashed on me.
Crash report attached
westell54 3:53 AM - 22 October, 2014
Well, I don't know if it's at all related, but I notice that when I use my VCI-380 (2 channel controller), I get flawless performance with no issues at all, and this is with all plugins running. With my tests of the Beta, I'm even able to run the Pitch n' Time plugin without any dropouts or crackling, with latency at 1ms and screen rate at 60fps.

When using my NS7II (4 channel controller), I'm getting the USB dropout light coming on, even with Pitch n' Time disabled, refresh rate at 30fps, and latency set at 5ms.

I'm using a retina MacBook Pro with 2.3 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB RAM. From the information that Serato posed regarding Haswell processor based systems, this thing should be able to run without breaking a sweat.

I had a friend bring his VCI-400 (4 channel controller) by and I was getting the same issues as with the NS7II. It's really frustrating but it seems to be related to 4 channel systems (at least in my experience), and unfortunately for me, I paid a lot of money for the NS7II but I can't really use it comfortably because I've ruined too many recordings with clicking and dropouts, unless I want to run it with latency too low for my taste, and a "Glitchy" GUI.

Numark doesn't have a beta driver for Yosemite, and the old one for Mavericks isn't available on the site anymore (that I know of). I just checked and the NS6 has the same driver version as the NS7II. They don't seem to have the same presence on here that they used to, but hopefully they're working closely with Serato so that they are made aware of this sort of stuff. Calling them doesn't always help with issues like this because they will divert you back to Serato.

I'm still a little salty about buying the Pitch n' Time expansion pack (as well as all of the effects) to use with the NS7II, and it's been almost unusable without a LOT of workarounds. Also, I haven't been able to make a sucessful recording with it either, so I'm back to primarily using my VCI-380, which is cool, but I don't have access to my rotating platters, 4 decks, and all of my effects banks.

On a positive note, they were solid units a one point in time, so that means that it's possible to iron out these issues, but I think right now Pioneer has been getting priority on a lot of releases due to bugs. Numark is also trying very hard to ensure the sale of a lot of NV's as well. Hopefully we aren't forgotten about, especially me because the NS7II is still a flagship unit (I think).
lawrence567 1:45 PM - 3 November, 2014
Hey guys,

I've had something similar happening with my NS7II.
See here: Watchwww.youtube.com

When i had the issue, i thought it was software initially, so i phoned the retailer, i was told to downgrade versions of Serato DJ & update the Firmware from Numark, this worked ok for a bit but did it again, i was also having an issue where sometimes the platters would not speed up straight away unless i turned the speed up/speed down knob.
I was told to try a different laptop, sadly for me i spilt liquid into my laptop (not DJ'ing), so had to buy a new one, i had the same issues again with the NS7II. (See vid above).

I would get the sound distortion, however if i tapped by the up-faders or x-fader it would periodically go away, this distortion would happen for an hour or so then the whole thing would become so distorted it would sound like the speakers had blown (all of them).
To which point i would turn it off, turn it all back on again & it would do it almost instantly (sound distortion).

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's going on, i've had to send the unit back under warranty to Numark UK.
I'm awaiting their response, i never had any issues with my NS6, or my DDJ-SX so there is either some MAJOR software or hardware issues.
kregg Jacoby 9:18 PM - 3 November, 2014
Good video! Exactly the same as mine when i was using my 2010 MBP. Just bought a 2014 MBP and no problems yet - fingers crossed -
Heltino 9:52 PM - 3 November, 2014
question on that:
you updated the firmware of the NS7mkII? with what?
Numark told me there is no update available, I found none and my device has firmware 1.0.0.0(!)
lawrence567 10:00 AM - 4 November, 2014
I've no idea what the firmare was as it was at ths start of this year.

Ironically, after being told i would have to wait 15 days (working days) for the unit back, i got hold of Numark yesterday.
They've said they've tested the unit twice now & cannot replicate the fault, which is odd.
They did however say they found an issue with the X-Fader which they've replaced.
Also, apparently the platters 'came lose' in transit & scratched the unit, not something i'm all that bothered about as it's a working piece of equipment, but i know they were tightened up before i sent the unit & i sent it packaged in it's original box the way Numark said.
They've told me they've had it running fine on Serato DJ 1.7.1 without issue & to make sure that the Firmware is the same as the OS you are running on the MAC.
I'll let you know if i get the issue again once i get the unit back hopefully this week.
DJGongshow 11:58 AM - 4 November, 2014
I had the same problem in June. In a panic, I bought another MacBook Pro and NS7II and still has the same problem. Even my old reliable NS7 had the issue after a 5h burn in test, and restoring back to a known good backup of Mountain Lion didn't fix it.

I'm still to this day not sure what finally solved the problem but I eliminated all other USB peripherals besides an iPad for Serato Remote and set my USB buffer to 5ms. No crackling since then, through 12 shows of 4h or more.
lawrence567 2:32 PM - 4 November, 2014
I play out weekly & i've had it on 3 different nights, the first time, i had to re-boot the MBP (brand new one) it went away.
The next time it happened it just happened once & never happened until the week or 2 ago when it did it continually, despite how many times i reset it.
Despite me insisting it was a hardware issue it does sound like it's a software malfunction.
grandwiz 4:00 AM - 6 November, 2014
@lawrence567 -- I am so glad you posted the video!!!!! I have the same issue with my NS6. After a few hours I get the same sound. I only use the NS6 for back up for now until I find a good solution. Ill try to see if I can live with a lower latency.
djkavika 4:41 AM - 6 November, 2014
I have 2 NS7s, 2 MBP Pros Retina 13s, both had Mavericks and do the same thing if I have a any USB hub connected for any of my hard drives and FX bar. Without the USB hub I get audio dropouts. I suspect its a Mavericks issue. I did upgrade one MBP to Yosemite, no change. These are my 1st MBP's with Windows on a Core2Duo and i7 I have none of these issues at 2 to 5ms.

Ive submitted multiple tickets to Serato and they keep asking the same questions, did you try a different drive, did you try another hub.

-DJ Kavika
lawrence567 11:46 AM - 6 November, 2014
I never had any issues with the DDJSX when using it out, or the NS6 i had before that, although the NS6 i had was being used on an older MB.

It sounds like issues between Serato DJ & Numark, although i've got absolutely no idea who's repsonisibility it is, it's clearly a common software problem that neither want to take responsibility for.
djkavika 4:50 PM - 6 November, 2014
** Possible fix for NS7**

Well I think I got rid of the crackles, can't run lower than 5ms, instead of 20ms but its def better. Ran the computer all night and so far no problems, over 12 hours.

I still get an occasional audio dropout when navigating to Serato settings or Finder.

Go to Applications> Numark NS7 USB Audio > Right click > Get Info > Prevent App Nap.

I suspected its some power management issue with Mavericks and App Nap is new correct?

DJ Kavika

-DJ Kavika
dizzyrocks2001 4:54 PM - 6 November, 2014
Quote:
** Possible fix for NS7**

Well I think I got rid of the crackles, can't run lower than 5ms, instead of 20ms but its def better. Ran the computer all night and so far no problems, over 12 hours.

I still get an occasional audio dropout when navigating to Serato settings or Finder.

Go to Applications> Numark NS7 USB Audio > Right click > Get Info > Prevent App Nap.

I suspected its some power management issue with Mavericks and App Nap is new correct?

DJ Kavika

-DJ Kavika

Ya, App Nap is a new feature, and you definitely have to click "prevent App Nap" or you're gonna get some funky things happening.
dizzyrocks2001 4:58 PM - 6 November, 2014
...and regarding App Nap: what a stupid feature for Apple to implement! Is it really necessary to put an app to sleep when it's in the background just to save 4% power?? Macs are powerful machines, they can handle having a few apps running simultaneously. And if you're running so many apps that having a feature like App Nap is necessary then you need to get a higher spec machine or stop trying to be so fancy by running so many apps at once lol.
lawrence567 12:08 PM - 17 November, 2014
So i've had the unit back for a couple of weeks now, playing out on it at the weekend & after roughly 3 hours i got the dreaded audio crackling again!

It's beyond a joke now, a £1200 controller should not be doing this.
DJGongshow 12:16 PM - 17 November, 2014
if you're using a Mac, try increasing USB buffer to 5ms or higher
ococingk 8:29 PM - 20 November, 2014
so guys.. do we know how to solve this issue ? running on windows 7 serato dj 1.6...
sound crackles after couple of hours playing.
Heltino 4:26 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
so guys.. do we know how to solve this issue ? running on windows 7 serato dj 1.6...
sound crackles after couple of hours playing.

I solved it with the NS7II as following:
going to win8.1 pro 64bit
set USB buffer to 10

no more issues at all.

by some strange reasons my laptop likes 8.1 with serato more as the win7.
I hate win 8.1 but can survive this. laptop is anyway exclusive for serato and used for nothing else. so I just don´t care.
tested a lot with win7....seems some strange kind of ASIO failure or whatever that is not existing in win 8.1

system runs much more smooth, the CPU load in Serato as well dropped.
(running right now 1.7.1, the 1.7.2 betas are working as well)
lawrence567 9:33 AM - 24 November, 2014
No fix so far for Macs, mine did this again at the weekend, i've tried using various different latency setups, i've also made sure i'm running the Serato & Firmware version Numark recommend, still does it. Losing my rag with this now!
Numark, Support
NumarkChris 10:11 PM - 25 November, 2014
Hello everyone,

Just trying to chip in here and hopefully help you guys out. If you're experiencing these type of symptoms with your DJ controller, you should try to increase your USB buffer size settings in your Serato software and decrease your display settings. This should help. Recommended settings to try are the following:

USB Buffer Size: 20
Display: 30

After trying out these settings and you don't' experience any of the audio crackling symptoms or USB dropouts, you can re-adjust your settings to a lower USB buffer setting and a higher display Setting. It make take a few adjustments to see which setting works for you.

Also, make sure you have the latest driver installed for your DJ controller by logging onto www.numark.com. Click on the product page for your DJ controller and the driver will be listed under the Downloads section of the page.

On top of these adjustments, you can go through and try out the optimization guides below by Serato. These guides are quite effective for newer PC's and Mac's.

If you'r on a PC, you can try out the steps below:
PC Optimization Guide for Serato DJ users using Windows 8 - support.serato.com
Advanced PC Optimization for Serato DJ - Video - support.serato.com

If you'r on a Mac, you can try out the steps below:
Mac Optimization Guide for Serato DJ users using OSX 10.9 Mavericks - support.serato.com
Advanced Mac Optimization for Serato DJ - Video - support.serato.com

Additionally, if anyone needs a walk through or needs any further assistance with their Numark controller, feel free reach out to the Numark technical support team. Log onto www.numark.com to contact Numark support.
Heltino 10:18 PM - 25 November, 2014
to add my experience:
initial those tipps did not fix my issue, BUT:
with a clean win 8.1 64bit installation, clean means no blood ware, no audio driver panels, just the pure driver, for the internal soundcard:
no more issues with the NS7II under the following settings:
SDJ 1.7.1, USB buffer 10ms, display refresh in serato 40ms.
system is i5 2,5Ghz (turbo 3,1Ghz), 8GB RAM

as conclusion: tipps are correct, might be mandatory to make a clean installation upfront, possible to get it stable with more aggressive settings (see above)
5:08 AM, 6 Dec 2014
Neil Cutler attached a file: IMG_3997.mov
Download· Permalink
Neil Cutler 5:11 AM - 6 December, 2014
I'm yet another Serato DJ user experiencing this exact issue. Using NS6, previously on Windows 7 with no issue, upgraded to a MacBook Pro i7, 16gb, nvidea 750m 2gb version and all of a sudden the distortion started, but for me it starts either instantly or within 30 minutes. It also forms a delay if left as seen in the video I attached.

I personally find it very frustrating that it seems such a popular problem that virtually makes it unusable for gigs right now and still such little info on what we can try to fix it.
DJ HFX 1:57 AM - 8 December, 2014
Hey Been having nothing but problems with the ns7 and macbook pro and serato. Frustrating as hell. I am starting to think its more of a numark issue. Because I tried virtual DJ 8 and I do like it but i have issue with that program also.
DJ HFX 1:58 AM - 8 December, 2014
Quote:
Hey Been having nothing but problems with the ns7 and macbook pro and serato. Frustrating as hell. I am starting to think its more of a numark issue. Because I tried virtual DJ 8 and I do like it but i have issue with that program also.

Opps NS7ii
teniueen 3:30 AM - 10 December, 2014
Following your advice I have solved my probleme. Thanks.
Neil Cutler 7:36 AM - 11 December, 2014
Adding a link that has other ideas on possibly fixing the NS6/NS7 issues: support.serato.com

For those that have many USB device connections, Martin (Tech Support) Gave me a good description to help me understand what *might* be going on:

USB while being able to add many devices, is actually seen more as a bus topology than in parallel. And because Audio uses the isochronous data type (meaning it streams data) adding devices that use this data type quickly adds a lot of data to the bus and can max it's capacity. An analogy is like a highway where every USB device is a street attaching to it. any device that needs constant streaming, adds a lot of cars - before you know it, it's too full and you get audio crackling as it has to limit its data use.

Two ways to handle it:
-increase latency so the "cars"/data are further apart, giving more time.
-remove usb devices from the chain.

Sorry for the unusual analogy, but figure it would be a great way of seeing the issue for those that might use many devices and are having crackling issues.
J.A.Y 1:56 AM - 2 January, 2015
hi i did not no were else to post on here as iv just made an account so sorry if its no ok to post here.. but i really need help. iv just got a pair of numark ndx500 they are mapped to serato DJ. but serato DJ will not recognize them iv tryed every thing. iv tryed other DJ programs like virtual DJ and my ndx500 work with virtual DJ but need to be mapped and i cant do that find that to hard to do. i just don't no what to do because i bought the numark ndx500 because its a midi controller and is mapped to searto DJ but searto DJ wont connect to them.. iv got the free download version of serato DJ. do i need to buy the full version for my ndx500 to work ???? if someone could hep that wood be gd.. i will keep checking back here for a reply.. or you can email me at. jamie.mccoy2013@hotmail.co.uk
dizzyrocks2001 5:21 AM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
hi i did not no were else to post on here as iv just made an account so sorry if its no ok to post here.. but i really need help. iv just got a pair of numark ndx500 they are mapped to serato DJ. but serato DJ will not recognize them iv tryed every thing. iv tryed other DJ programs like virtual DJ and my ndx500 work with virtual DJ but need to be mapped and i cant do that find that to hard to do. i just don't no what to do because i bought the numark ndx500 because its a midi controller and is mapped to searto DJ but searto DJ wont connect to them.. iv got the free download version of serato DJ. do i need to buy the full version for my ndx500 to work ???? if someone could hep that wood be gd.. i will keep checking back here for a reply.. or you can email me at. jamie.mccoy2013@hotmail.co.uk

According to the user's manual you need to select the NDX500 as your playback or audio output device in your computer's Sound Control Panel or Preferences. Did you do that?
J.A.Y 1:15 PM - 2 January, 2015
hi yes iv tryed all that
J.A.Y 1:20 PM - 2 January, 2015
as the playback devices they say ready i set my computers playback to default iv tryed looking on the internet to find help this is my last hope
DJ Deaf 11:22 PM - 5 January, 2015
Not sure if this is similar to the problem I use to have. I would get a bad feedback sound minutes into a set and sometimes hours into a set. I would restart the entire system but the problem would still occur. After speaking with Numark & Serato, I found out that I wasn't meeting system requirements for Serato DJ & Numark NS7II. No matter what I downloaded to my macbook, I had to uninstall then reinstall the drivers anytime I did. Hope this is helpful
lawrence567 10:51 AM - 12 January, 2015
I'm really starting to lose my rag with this now.
The company i purchased the product from have been great, Numark haven't.
It's clear this is a common problem.
I was told it was a machine issue (laptop), however i've tried it with 2 separate MBP's (both 2014 models), it still does it, i've tried downloading all of the software Numark recommend, deleting it all & starting again, it still does it.
My dealer replaced my unit with a brand new one, however it worked fine for a couple of weeks and has gone back to doing it again.
Now i never had any issues at all with Serato DJ & my DDJSX.
The NS7II is an awesome controller, but i'm now scared to use it out due to the problems i'm having.
I can't see how this is a Serato problem.

SORT IT OUT NUMARK.
Heltino 11:35 AM - 12 January, 2015
did you test a windows laptop as well?

I have no issues anymore with the NS7II, therefore the question.
Would help to identify the issue closer as it could be mac related.
lawrence567 4:47 PM - 12 January, 2015
I don't have a windows laptop to test it with, other guys i DJ with only have Macs too.
However if it was a Mac/Serato DJ issue, then my DDJ-SX would have issues too.
It seems to be the way Numark interacts with Serato DJ.
Pioneer can get it right but Numark can't.
DJ Stormin' Norman 9:27 AM - 15 January, 2015
This been going on for a while. My opinion ITS NUMARK. Serato Dj have done a lot to help
us with our V7, NS7 & NS7ii. NUMARK done nothing. They are trying to act like they are doing something by posting the MAVERICK 10.9 drive. When we complain that now Serato dj approve YOSEMITE. NUMARK stuck 10.10 beside 10.9 as if they change the drive. NO THEY ARE THE SAME DRIVE.

Nothing against CRIS D, he is doing what hes told. ITs there tech. PIONEER, & RANE has made adjustment with their drives but not NUMARK.

My point is, I like NUMARK product, but I am disappointed with there service. SERATO keep up the good work, and my NUMARK friends lets hope NUMARK work it out.
Dilgee 10:33 AM - 15 January, 2015
Quote:
This been going on for a while. My opinion ITS NUMARK. Serato Dj have done a lot to help
us with our V7, NS7 & NS7ii. NUMARK done nothing. They are trying to act like they are doing something by posting the MAVERICK 10.9 drive. When we complain that now Serato dj approve YOSEMITE. NUMARK stuck 10.10 beside 10.9 as if they change the drive. NO THEY ARE THE SAME DRIVE.

Nothing against CRIS D, he is doing what hes told. ITs there tech. PIONEER, & RANE has made adjustment with their drives but not NUMARK.

My point is, I like NUMARK product, but I am disappointed with there service. SERATO keep up the good work, and my NUMARK friends lets hope NUMARK work it out.

Totally agree.
Numark, Support
NumarkChris 2:55 PM - 15 January, 2015
Quote:

Quote:
Totally agree.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the posts and all the feed back. I'd like to chime back in here. The latest v3.2.0 audio driver supports both Mac OS X 10.9 and 10.10. It appears this thread was initially intended for NS6 users but progressed from NS6 to V7, NS7 and NS7II users. All these DJ controllers drivers are different and use their own 3.2.0 driver to support their dedicated hardware and operating system. If you're using the NS6, make sure you download and install the NS6 3.2.0 driver not a 3.2.0 driver from another product. They are different.

If you're using a laptop, I always recommend to connect your Numark DJ controller to the USB port closest to your power supply. That port will always draw the most power to your unit. Try a different USB cable. Sometimes a simple thing like a USB cable can play the middle man during these issues. Also, make sure you optimize your computer from my recommended steps above. Exceed the minimum specifications for both the Serato DJ software and your DJ controller.

Lastly, ensure your DJ controller and your entire setup is connected to a properly grounded power surge protector. I've even experienced for myself that if I'm at my gig and the booth has a poor surge protector or outlet, my DJ controller would experience symptoms similar to this.

As always, reach out to Numark technical support if these recommendations don't help you out. The Numark support team is here to help. Log onto www.numark.com to to contact Numark support.
Eric2 11:25 AM - 17 January, 2015
Those really are helpful.
Eric2 12:17 AM - 20 January, 2015
Thank you very much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------
www.ourcase.co.uk
2:00 AM, 22 Apr 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.