Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Sound distortion (fuzzy hissing) on Numark NS6.

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Numark NS6
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
RussellBishop 1:58 PM - 4 April, 2014
I've owned my NS6 for about two weeks now, and I've got a real problem with sound distortion.

Sometimes after 5 minutes of use, sometimes after two hours of use, the NS6's sound becomes hissy and distorted, like radio white-noise. The sound comes out of my speakers, and also through the headphone port (so it's nothing to do with either of those).

Interestingly, any Line-In I'm using at the time, such as a record player on Channel 4, does not have the same issue as it's happening.

This distortion can occur using Serato, Traktor, Torq, or just using the NS6 as a sound device for my mac - iTunes, Chrome etc.

I'm using the latest firmware for the NS6. I've tried using the other USB port also.
RussellBishop 4:32 PM - 4 April, 2014
Here is a video of what that hissing sounds like.

Watchwww.youtube.com
RussellBishop 5:06 PM - 8 April, 2014
Any help?
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:48 AM - 10 April, 2014
Hey RussellBishop,

Thanks for getting in touch. It might be worth testing the NS6 with another computer too to see if it still happens there. If yes i'd look at taking it back and getting a replacement as it sounds like a hardware fault.

Regards
Dave W
RussellBishop 6:00 PM - 21 April, 2014
Hi,

Have tried on another computer and couldn't replicate the problem.

Russell
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:34 PM - 22 April, 2014
O.K it sounds like it related to your computer. What other audio applications or drivers do you have installed on that computer? Without seeing it, it sounds like it could be a mine field to file a solution for a sound related issue such as that.

What are the full computer spec's of that computer?
RussellBishop 6:35 PM - 24 April, 2014
Audio Applications:

Serato
Torq
Serato Itch (installed after I had these problems)

Drivers for M-Audio Xponent

Full specs:

MacBook Pro
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Processor: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 8Gb 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Serato and OS are installed on an SSD (internal).
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:48 PM - 27 April, 2014
I can only suggest firmware in regards to the NS6: www.numark.com
I'd give that a shot, also i'd check the USB Buffer latency is not to low in the applications you are using. E.g set it to 20 ms and retry.
Maybe try uninstalling the other audio drivers.
RussellBishop 10:05 PM - 29 April, 2014
Hi Dave,

Definitely have the latest firmware. Tried the Buffer latency at 20, replicated the problem within 10 minutes.

I've remove all other audio drivers (and even software) so I'm just left with Serato and the numark drivers.

Any other suggestions would be great, or if you think it's a hardware issue, some advice on getting a repair (I've owned it for a matter of weeks).

Russell
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:09 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Any other suggestions would be great, or if you think it's a hardware issue, some advice on getting a repair (I've owned it for a matter of weeks).

Me too, i think this is hardware, i'd suggest returning it to the shop you purchased it from and asking for a replacement or repair. I'm sure by the sounds of things that should help, but to be sure maybe take you computer along which you have been using and see if you can try out another NS6 there and see if the computer is at fault.

Regards
Dave W
dj ez-hutch 11:58 AM - 1 May, 2014
I have the same problem, I even tried it on another NS6 and Macbook Pro. same thing - HELP!!!!
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:57 PM - 4 May, 2014
Hey dj ez-hutch,

Thank for getting in touch. I'd suggest starting your own help thread so we can give you more personal support over there :)

Regards
Dave
10:09 PM, 10 Jun 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.