DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Large Library Database PROBLEMS between Serato Scratch Live vs Serato DJ

DJ Birgy 3:28 AM - 15 November, 2013
SO I know I'm not the only one having issues going from Serato Scratch Live to Serato DJ with having a "larger Library". I have spent a lot of time and money trying to find solutions and I have yet to find one that works.
What I have.
PC user with 16 gigs of Ram
I7 Processor
Running Windows 7 ultimate
Nvidia GT 540M Graphics Card
Multiple External Hard Drives different makes (only use 1 at a time) others are for
back-up or to compare the difference between them.
Latest versions of Scratch Live and Serato DJ with Video SL
When I use Serato Scratch Live I normally use 2 CDJ's with a SL2.
With Serato DJ I would like to use my new DDJ-SX-N.

PROBLEMS!
Serato DJ is Crashing!
DLL files say that they are missing when SDJ actuality works for a little bit. Causing my
DDJ-SX to load songs but not be able to play them.
OUT OF MEMORY!

SOLUTION!
Smaller Library.
I used to have over 2 TB of music stored on my external Hard drives. I consolidated the music getting rid of doubles and songs that I know I will never use. I also changed the file path of how these songs / videos are stored so that they never have a long file path (max of 4 deep). Now I'm under 1TB. I am still going through songs daily to downsize,
BUT WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO DO THIS?
I understand that Serato DJ is only 32 bit so it can only handle so much before it crashes or problems occur, so..
WHAT IS THE MAX NUMBER OF SONGS THAT YOU CAN HAVE AND RUN SDJ?
There is no right answer to this question because there are too many factors involved.
Yes if Serato went to 64 bit this would solve issues but there is too much for them to rewrite everything. They say that they are working on it....Fingers crossed!!!

Why do I need this many songs? Best answer is Convenience!
If you DJ for weddings like myself, having a large library on hand is Convenient! If you are a wedding DJ and are not having the couple fill out a questionnaire you need to start! This can help extremely with having the correct songs on hand! Only issue is when you get a old head that comes up and wants to hear something from the 60's or 70's... It's always a good idea to have these older songs ready to go and this makes you look good,
But with SDJ this becomes a problem.
Yes there are other DJ software programs that may work, but in my opinion Serato is the way to go. Any problems that I had in the past. Customer Service was there to help. AND THEY DID FIX MY ISSUES!

Things to Help!!
Get rid of all corrupt files. DID THIS!
Shorter File path names DID THIS!
Reanalyze all songs/ videos. DID THIS!
Update Drivers and Firmware. DID THIS!
Rename Database V2 File to re build possible corrupt library. DID THIS!
In Device Manager, go to your external had drive under Universal Serial Bus Controllers
(USB) right click the hard drive, go to properties, power management, and UN-check
the box that allows the computer to turn off this device to save power. You have to do
this every time you plug in the External Hard Drive.
While your in Device manager, right click everything under Network adapters and disable it.
This will prevent your computer form trying to open the internet or do updates... that
may take away from your CPU.
Running Serato Scratch Live with a "BIG LIBRARY" may cause your videos to be choppy
or cut in and out. I eject the video and reload it and this seems to fix the video issues.
Instant dbls can help with this.

Using a Mac vs PC does not matter. I personally know other DJ's that are MAC users and
are having the same problem.
Static Drives will not help and they are too expensive for the average DJ.

THE ISSUE IS THE 32 Bit SOFTWARE WITH A BIG LIBRARY!!!
Does any one have other suggestions?
Please Comment!!!!!!

I would really like to use my new DDJ-SX-N with my entire library and not have any issues. Hopefully new updates will Help!!!!
skinnyguy 5:00 AM - 15 November, 2013
ssl ftw
DJ Birgy 5:06 AM - 15 November, 2013
SSL=Serato Scratch Live
SDJ= Serato DJ
easier to type
djvtyme85 7:19 AM - 16 November, 2013
this scares me bc me and partner run SL fir our show with two TB harddrives (ease of set up) so we dont have to switch laptops. works flawless on my i5 mbp 4gb 2.53 processor. i can run safari etc no problems. all this talk about SDJ crashing bc of large libraries lets me know ill be using SL until 2015 smh unless fixed
DJ Remy USA 4:55 PM - 16 November, 2013
Serato DJ fails

Serato DJ is 32bit application so its only to use about 4gb of ram max on a 64bit OS so your 16 GB of ram totally useless for this program.

Stick with SSL until they develop a 64bit application.
Thundercat 10:35 PM - 16 November, 2013
I have yet to use Serato DJ out with a controller simply because of my large library issues. I am sticking with Techs and my 57 for everything until I can use my library THAT WORKS FINE in Scratch Live in SDJ too. I am sure I could shrink my library size if I converted a lot of my wav and flac tracks to mp3, and spent the next few weeks paring down things I would likely never use, and gutting full albums to just the useful tracks...or I could just keep using Scratch Live.

Party of the beauty of a DVS system is having your full library handy at all times. Having to set aside time before every gig to work out a mini-library defeats some of the purpose of maintaining a large well rounded selection. Now I'm no DJ Enferno, but I like having all that stuff available to play around with. Just last night I dropped some Captain and Tennille that would have most likely not 'made the trip' if I had cleaned my tracks out.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place, I assume I will be the one to eventually flinch first. I just don't see why I should have to, when they already got it mostly right with their old software. Here's to hoping for a 64bit professional update.

I WOULD PAY MORE...IF IT WORKS
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:57 PM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:
I am sure I could shrink my library size if I converted a lot of my wav and flac tracks to mp3,

Is the library "Size" issue about the sheer SIZE (MB, GB?) of all the files, or is it concerning the TOTAL NUMBER of files in the library?
Thundercat 12:48 AM - 17 November, 2013
It's mainly a numbers problem. The performance benefit of smaller files would just be in memory buffer usage, faster load times in performance, etc. The stability is about numbers.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:51 AM - 17 November, 2013
Quote:
It's mainly a numbers problem. The performance benefit of smaller files would just be in memory buffer usage, faster load times in performance, etc. The stability is about numbers.

Aitte...

****Checks my Windows XP Laptop, SSL 1.9.1, Technics 1200's, yep ready to go another decade or 2*****
djcrap 7:45 PM - 17 November, 2013
This is where serato dj would mainly suck b***ls with this large library issue.

2 or 3 djs using one laptop with three external harddrives connected. Equals crash heaven

So scratchlive it is for me till the wheels fall off
Jensen Määäm 1:41 AM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I am sure I could shrink my library size if I converted a lot of my wav and flac tracks to mp3,

Is the library "Size" issue about the sheer SIZE (MB, GB?) of all the files, or is it concerning the TOTAL NUMBER of files in the library?

Don't convert the higher quality files to lower quality files.
The size of a library is not just the number of songs or the GB size of your library, it's the numbers of crates and subcrates and how many songs you have in them. It's the itunes library, if you use it and loooooong pathes to the music files.
DJ Birgy 7:51 PM - 20 November, 2013
Honestly it's the combination of all of these things.
DJ Birgy 7:59 PM - 20 November, 2013
DJ Remy USA - This is what I be doing hoping for Serato to come up with a solution soon.

Thundercat - I agree. The market is there if Serato finds a solution. I would pay for it as well.

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 - UN-fortunately there is no real answer. Try to do the things I previously did an it will help. Downsize your Crates and Sub crates. I used to have over 200 now I'm at 30 and shorten the file path. Don't have songs/ videos stored 5 layers deep in your external or computers Hard-drive. Support told me even having 1TB of music is excessive and will cause issues with Serato DJ to crash. FOR NOW......
DJ Birgy 8:04 PM - 20 November, 2013
Starting your library from scratch by renaming your _Serato_ folder.
Import only the songs you know you are going to use and try it out.
unfortunately its trial and error because everyone has different set-ups and different computers. If you get it to work with 20k songs and it starts to crap out at 25k then you know where your threshold is. I have yet to do this because it is taking me some time to go thru all of my music. I'm down to 56k and it is still crapping out for me.
Papa Midnight 9:53 PM - 20 November, 2013
Quote:

2 or 3 djs using one laptop with three external harddrives connected. Equals crash heaven

I hope you don't think this problem doesn't affect ScratchLive because I can certainly assure you it does. Maybe not at the threshold at which it occurs on ITCH or SDJ (yes, the bug is that old), but it does occur.

My database is peanuts compared to some people here and I can't even load half of it in due to this bug.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:57 PM - 20 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I hope you don't think this problem doesn't affect ScratchLive because I can certainly assure you it does. Maybe not at the threshold at which it occurs on ITCH or SDJ (yes, the bug is that old), but it does occur.

My database is peanuts compared to some people here and I can't even load half of it in due to this bug.

Im running a full 750gig internal with a 3 tb external drive for vids and mine works fine
Papa Midnight 11:01 PM - 20 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Im running a full 750gig internal with a 3 tb external drive for vids and mine works fine

I wish the issue was as simple as how much space your library consumed.
Papa Midnight 11:02 PM - 20 November, 2013
See here for yourself. We've only been complaining about this for over a year on the Serato DJ forum, and nearly 3 years on the ITCH forum.

serato.com

We also warned that people coming over from SSL would start to make the issue more prevalent. Damned if we weren't right.

Still not fixed.
DJ Birgy 11:05 PM - 20 November, 2013
Dj-M.Bezzle - works fine with Serato DJ and Serato Scratch live?
what versions are you running? PC or MAC?
pdidy 12:57 AM - 21 November, 2013
@ DJ Birgy
"Using a Mac vs PC does not matter. I personally know other DJ's that are MAC users and
are having the same problem."

Absolutely not true, It has been confirmed and proven as fact that Mac has a much higher threshold before it is affected by the Large Library Database PROBLEMS.

Unfortunately that was the only issue I could find too troll you on.....lol
DJ DisGrace 1:29 AM - 21 November, 2013
Quote:

My library works fine with SSL 2.5 and Serato DJ 1.2

I only use DJ to organize files and analyze (beatgrids for ME).
DJ Quartz 1:43 AM - 21 November, 2013
We've been discussing this is many forums

Macbook Pro 2011
i7 2.4ghz
8gb Ram
2 x internal WD Black 750gb drives /w 64mb cache

Alchemie Zinc is solely used to manage my serato database
DJ Birgy 7:50 PM - 21 November, 2013
P diddy -with your comment
" Absolutely not true, It has been confirmed and proven as fact that Mac has a much higher threshold before it is affected by the Large Library Database PROBLEMS."

Serato DJ is 32bit application so its only to use about 4gb of ram max on a 64bit OSon a PC. I am not familiar with MAC, but with the software only being 32 bit its software related. How would a MAC having a higher threshold help when the limitation is the software. What is the threshold of a MAC, or the one your using? Maybe I'm missing something here!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:18 PM - 21 November, 2013
***Watches while the Mac vs. PC seeds are laid out...*****
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:22 PM - 21 November, 2013
Quote:

Scratch live 2.5, mac, library includes the entire contents of about 4 record pools
Papa Midnight 8:58 PM - 21 November, 2013
Here we go again...
Jensen Määäm 9:50 PM - 21 November, 2013
Quote:
Here we go again...

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Remy USA 10:33 PM - 21 November, 2013
stops tracking to avoid Mac Vs PC debate

MAC IS BETTER THAN A PC

............runs and hide
DJ Quartz 10:34 PM - 21 November, 2013
^ Ha ha you guys...

@ Jensen

Dope track, no everyone would feel it. But I miss music like that man.
Jensen Määäm 10:39 PM - 21 November, 2013
Quote:
^ Ha ha you guys...

@ Jensen

I like that song as well, here is another "Here we go" song...
www.dailymotion.com
pdidy 11:15 PM - 21 November, 2013
Quote:
stops tracking to avoid Mac Vs PC debate

MAC IS BETTER THAN A PC

............runs and hide

mac is not better than pc, it only runs serato better.....lol
DJ Quartz 11:16 PM - 21 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
^ Ha ha you guys...

@ Jensen

I like that song as well, here is another "Here we go" song...
www.dailymotion.com

Remember that joint, the original funkmaster mix cd's were VERY dope!

Back on topic now... :)
DJ Birgy 12:04 AM - 22 November, 2013
BOTTOM LINE!!!
THIS IS WHAT IS LISTED FOR THE Minimum Specifications to Run Serato DJ

These are simply the minimum requirements to run Serato DJ. For best performance and for use in professional situations we recommend you use a higher spec computer, preferably with an Intel processor.

Please Note: Currently we do not support Windows 8 or AMD processors.
Mac Windows
Operating System Mac OS X 10.6
Mac OS X 10.7
Mac OS X 10.8 2 Windows 7
Processor Intel Processors
i3, i5 or i7 32 & 64 bit: 1.07GHz+
Core 2 Duo 32 bit: 2.0 GHz+ 64 bit: 2.4 GHz+
Screen Resolution 1280 x 720
RAM 32 bit: 2 GB 64 bit: 4 GB
USB Available USB 2.0 port

IF YOU HAVE THIS THEN YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RUN SERATO DJ!!!
MAC vs PC should not matter!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:15 AM - 22 November, 2013
The key word here is "Should"....
Papa Midnight 2:36 AM - 22 November, 2013
Quote:
The key word here is "Should"....

Yup.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:39 AM - 22 November, 2013
Quote:
For best performance and for use in professional situations we recommend you use a higher spec computer

It does run....just not well lol
Thundercat 2:48 AM - 22 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
For best performance and for use in professional situations we recommend you use a higher spec computer

It does run....just not well lol

Watchwww.youtube.com
djdelite 3:22 PM - 26 December, 2013
SMH... I'm sure there are tons of demands to fix this an fix that over at Serato Land..But when I read these threads and people who over and over say the same things amongst my dj friends outside this forum makes me wonder WHY the big push for serato dj when its not ready....
Meaning why only 32bit so it disappoints me when Scratch Live so SOLID why would they chase down that program to introduce something that is halfway profected and just not make it 64bit from the gate so there are not all these issues with everyone not being able to carry or decrease there library size :( ? I mean I get it but would just think why not come out with the FINAL bang not wait until January then u can run this on the 62 ohh NO wait until feburary then u can do this.... I get it on the companys behalf marketing wise but just wish like it just comes out and Whommp there is IS...good 2 go... ok jus my 2 cent sorry..lol
DJ Birgy 4:04 AM - 31 December, 2013
@djdelite- Agreed! 100%
DJ Birgy 4:25 AM - 31 December, 2013
Just a update for everyone tracking this thread. I had a DJ Friend of mine bring over his top of the line alienware laptop that cost him 5k and his basic MAC i3 laptop and both the alienware and MAC handled Serato DJ with my "Bigger" library with the DDJ SX and his
DDJ -sb. So the issue at hand is for PC users.
I hope Serato figures things out for PC users. I know it would be a lot easier to just go out and get a MAC, but being a little hardheaded by saying that I should not have to learn a whole new format with a MAC when I have been using Serato Scratch Live with my PC for years and it's working just fine. A little irritated cause dropping $1,800 for the DDJ-SX with case and all of the appropriate cables to run it and I cant use it cause I have a PC. When all of the min specs say I can run it. If I was told this from the start I would have waited. Can't return anything and I don't want to. I like the DDJ-SX. Always been a fan of Pioneer. Especially since I had the chance to fully spend some time with it with my library. I just cant justify spending more money on a MAC and cables to run Video, with all of the learning associated with it. Other DJ's can probably adapt better, but for me and the average DJ that do this on a budget it's harder to justify spending more money. Yes I can go get a 1TB hard drive and just put my videos on it and it may work just fine with a smaller library, but THE END result is library's are just going to get bigger more and more songs / videos come out everyday.
With all of that said if you have the means to use or get a MAC it seems to me that is the best answer/solution for now, so I'm patiently waiting for a PC answer or solution from Serato.
DJ GaFFle 10:19 AM - 31 December, 2013
Why Would Anyone Spend $5k On A PC Laptop?
Papa Midnight 6:33 PM - 31 December, 2013
Quote:
Why Would Anyone Spend $5k On A PC Laptop?

Why would anyone spend five thousand USD on a laptop?

Quote:
the issue at hand is for PC users.

Welcome to the party, mate. We've been dealing with this same issue for nearly four years now since we first had reports of it on the ITCH forums. It affects Mac OS X users as well.
djdelite 2:28 PM - 1 January, 2014
Quote:

I hope Serato figures things out for PC users. I know it would be a lot easier to just go out and get a MAC, but being a little hardheaded by saying that I should not have to learn a whole new format with a MAC when I have been using Serato Scratch Live with my PC for years and it's working just fine. A little irritated cause dropping $1,800 for the DDJ-SX with case and all of the appropriate cables to run it and I cant use it cause I have a PC. When all of the min specs say I can run it. If I was told this from the start I would have waited.

I just cant justify spending more money on a MAC and cables to run Video, with all of the learning associated with it. Other DJ's can probably adapt better, but for me and the average DJ that do this on a budget it's harder to justify spending more money. Yes I can go get a 1TB hard drive and just put my videos on it and it may work just fine with a smaller library, but THE END result is library's are just going to get bigger more and more songs / videos come out everyday.

With all of that said if you have the means to use or get a MAC it seems to me that is the best answer/solution for now, so I'm patiently waiting for a PC answer or solution from Serato.

Yes friend a guess patience will be your answer I tried for sooo long an soo long not to turn to the dark side BUT gave in last week an got a 2,100 MAC...yes a major set back BUT I must say the hype is actual the hype Serato Dj loads up perfect no crashes with my 1tb harddrive it runs flawlessly... Its amazingly fast steady an accurate on both scratch live an on my pioneer ddj-sx that would always crash with the PC....so im really happy and felt the same way you did...BUT I get it budget is just that I went to best buy and did it on credit and have 18 months to pay it off before they slap me with interest...
BUT im still angered that Serato says windows is workable and the specs say your all compatible but reality it just doesn't work.. take care
DjScandal 6:40 PM - 17 January, 2014
What is a large library to everybody so I know how many tracks MAC is actually working with. Because I've had my DDJ-SX for almost a year now and Serato has made it perfectly clear that my PC is not the issue. Serato told me that 10,000 tracks/files analyzed depending on size and quality was the common mark. I keep the other 30,000+ tracks and drag and drop as needed. Pain in the ass but works for me. I just want the MAC users to say how many tracks do you actually have analyzed and in your Serato DJ search.
Jensen Määäm 7:24 PM - 17 January, 2014
A large library is more than just the number of tracks.
Te following things are part of the definition what a large library is:
the number of crates and subcrates, long pathes to the files in your music library, the use of an itunes library.
DjScandal 7:55 PM - 17 January, 2014
Question still unanswered.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:05 PM - 17 January, 2014
Quote:

Thats because the question is invalid, read again...
Quote:
A large library is more than just the number of tracks.
Te following things are part of the definition what a large library is:
the number of crates and subcrates, long pathes to the files in your music library, the use of an itunes library.
pdidy 8:55 PM - 17 January, 2014
Quote:

you must first have a clear understanding of the issue before asking a valid question.
There are many variables and combinations to take into account. Focusing one one single ingredient proves nothing.
Jensen Määäm 9:02 PM - 17 January, 2014
DJ Scandal, read this article:
dj.rane.com
pdidy 9:11 PM - 17 January, 2014
Quote:
dj.rane.com

you beat me to it...lol
Papa Midnight 9:57 PM - 17 January, 2014
Quote:
dj.rane.com

Band-Aid.
pdidy 2:11 AM - 18 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
dj.rane.com

Band-Aid.

Some would call it proactive......
JR Zae 5:00 AM - 20 January, 2014
64 Bit Software ...please !!! The pig can't handle anymore make up !!! That's all Thank you !
WarpNote 10:31 AM - 20 January, 2014
Quote:
What is a large library to everybody so I know how many tracks MAC is actually working with. Because I've had my DDJ-SX for almost a year now and Serato has made it perfectly clear that my PC is not the issue. Serato told me that 10,000 tracks/files analyzed depending on size and quality was the common mark. I keep the other 30,000+ tracks and drag and drop as needed. Pain in the ass but works for me. I just want the MAC users to say how many tracks do you actually have analyzed and in your Serato DJ search.

I have about 65k of tracks, about 250 crates, not reading itunes lib, on a retina 15", 16gb ram. Would not be possible on my PC. (Also 16gb ram, i7 cpu)
DjScandal 11:03 PM - 21 January, 2014
Now thats an answer. Thank you Warpnote. 16gb ram if thats what it takes, I guess.
Papa Midnight 11:07 PM - 21 January, 2014
Quote:
16gb ram if thats what it takes, I guess.

And yet, it won't resolve a thing - but feel free to try.
Papa Midnight 11:08 PM - 21 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
dj.rane.com

Band-Aid.

Granted, however, after the issue has been around for so long (I can account for 5 years at least), you'll understand that I'm wanting for more of an actual solution.
DjScandal 11:27 PM - 21 January, 2014
There will have to be a software change. I'm not running out and upgrading my laptop. I've had my Lenovo for years I love it. It has been able to run anything I've needed until Serato DJ and DVS so. I will continue to ask. I will get a new computer when I want one. If I can't use Serato in the future then I won't if it never gets better so be it. I would prefer it but my DDJ-SX can be mapped so be it. Can't force them to re-code, re-work or make new software. Guess I'll wait for the solution when they give it. Apparently 1.6 is not really it.
pdidy 11:42 PM - 21 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

"ignorance is bliss" ;)
pdidy 11:44 PM - 21 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
dj.rane.com

Band-Aid.

Granted, however, after the issue has been around for so long (I can account for 5 years at least), you'll understand that I'm wanting for more of an actual solution.

no argument there.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:56 AM - 22 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"ignorance is bliss" ;)

Lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:56 AM - 22 January, 2014
Quote:
There will have to be a software change. I'm not running out and upgrading my laptop. I've had my Lenovo for years I love it. It has been able to run anything I've needed until Serato DJ and DVS so. I will continue to ask. I will get a new computer when I want one. If I can't use Serato in the future then I won't if it never gets better so be it. I would prefer it but my DDJ-SX can be mapped so be it. Can't force them to re-code, re-work or make new software. Guess I'll wait for the solution when they give it. Apparently 1.6 is not really it.

Or just clean up your library
djvtyme85 4:43 AM - 22 January, 2014
i wish serato added features that helped you locate duplicates like itunes. as well, i wish they added delete from hard drive prompt like itunes. all the effects are great but i've always wished they'd add some of those library management features. might help us all clean up and remove junk from our libraries faster.
skinnyguy 12:56 PM - 22 January, 2014
Vdj 8 is being re-written from the ground up. Which is why it's taking so long to come out. Tons of extensive beta testing.

Vsl was re-written and became SV.
DJ Quartz 1:01 AM - 26 January, 2014
In terms of a large library,

I have 86,000+ tracks now and about 1200+ crates.

I have 8gb on MacOSX 10.8.5 and I have no crashing in SSL nor SDJ

I test SDJ mainly with my NS7FX but recently go to try it with the 62Z

No crashing....
WarpNote 12:07 PM - 26 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I have about 65k of tracks, about 250 crates, not reading itunes lib, on a retina 15", 16gb ram. Would not be possible on my PC. (Also 16gb ram, i7 cpu)

Quote:
Now thats an answer. Thank you Warpnote. 16gb ram if thats what it takes, I guess.

What? Thats what you take from my answer? I just SPECIFICALLY said my 16 GB PC will NOT read my library. And Im sure any other i7 8gb macs would read it just like my 16gb retina. In fact, im gonna pull out my old pre unibody dual core mbp, to see if it will load the lib, it used to do it in ssl, but failed in itch.

The conclusion is not 16gb ram, it is OSX ;)
Jiglo 9:33 PM - 26 January, 2014
I've got over 28,000 files in 25 crates and have maybe 5 subcrates. DJ's been working fine for me, so far, although i've maybe only used it for 2 hours total.

Looking at this thread, that's maybe an average amount of tunes.
DJ Raptor 2:39 PM - 15 March, 2014
In my case i just deleted swap file from windows (virtual memory set to 0)
I used serato sync and now my database (10.000+ songs) is fully listed
and updated.

Hope this help some users
(My specs:
Icore 7, 12 Gb Ram, 750gb HDD)
Papa Midnight 4:40 PM - 15 March, 2014
Quote:
In my case i just deleted swap file from windows (virtual memory set to 0)

Eh.... I don't agree with this course of action.
DJ Sound Technique 10:31 PM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
I've got over 28,000 files in 25 crates and have maybe 5 subcrates. DJ's been working fine for me, so far, although i've maybe only used it for 2 hours total.

Are you running serato video too?
DJ Sound Technique 10:35 PM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:

Oh yeah and we have more like 80k tracks mixture of audio and video 25 crates 300 sub crates
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:48 PM - 31 March, 2014
Hey guys,

I am not sure if you saw my post in this discussion: serato.com

Quote:
Its great to hear some positive results for some of you with Serato DJ 1.6.1. For those of you still experiencing problems I'd like to invite you to try a beta build that has some further memory optimisations.

I can't guarantee its going to fix the problem for all of you, but I hope it will for some. Having some of you guys try this build and post up your findings, whether it be bugs or just memory usage observations will help us greatly in our continued efforts to tackle this problem.

You can access the beta builds in this forum area: serato.com

This build does not contain any new features. Please read the agreement and the forum guidelines, they are extremely important.

If the results for everyone are overall positive then we can move forward with plans to include the memory optimisations into a scheduled release.

Any further questions, please post in the beta area.

Thanks!

It would be awesome if you check out the beta to see if it helps you.
DJ Sound Technique 5:23 PM - 4 April, 2014
I am planning to test it soon, been slammed
DJ Remy USA 12:43 AM - 5 April, 2014
Quote:
dj.rane.com

This is terrible guidance for those that actually exclusively use iTunes to manage their library. You can what you want but I let iTunes organize my music and copy music to the iTunes media folder. I just feel the guidance regarding iTunes media management will make keeping your music organized painful. Just my opinion I don't use crates or sub crates. I use codes all of my stuff is one big folder anyways so maybe I'm different for that reason.

DJ sixxx are you using SDJ?
the_black_one 1:00 AM - 5 April, 2014
i been using itunes since day 1 ...... i'm seriously thinking of ditching it all together ...

dougs scrips and out fill in itunes is what keep me from ditching all together

nm nh
the_black_one 1:07 AM - 5 April, 2014
also putting in 16 gig ram into my lappy ....

nm nh
 6 1:33 AM - 6 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
dj.rane.com

This is terrible guidance for those that actually exclusively use iTunes to manage their library. You can what you want but I let iTunes organize my music and copy music to the iTunes media folder. I just feel the guidance regarding iTunes media management will make keeping your music organized painful. Just my opinion I don't use crates or sub crates. I use codes all of my stuff is one big folder anyways so maybe I'm different for that reason.

DJ sixxx are you using SDJ?[/quote

Negative. There are many reasons why I'm still on SSL and this is a big one.

nm
 6 1:33 AM - 6 April, 2014
No misquote. lol

nm
DJ Todd Anthony 4:07 PM - 24 June, 2014
I've used scratch live since 2007. I read the forums had no need to ask questions online ever. I've been quite for years. As SSL became more advance I've stepped up my laptops. Own 2 (one backup) 64 bit i7 quad core usb 3.0, 16 gigs of USE-LESS ram. I am a computer power user, I hold a few microsnach certs and I certainly don't know everything. I'm extremely tired of crashing scratch live with memory limitations due to my large library (I know to reduce it) <- that's ridiculous. Yes, I'm using scratch live, refuse to go serato dj till the bugs are fewer. PLEASE GO 64 BIT ALL READY! I understand people don't know the difference 32 vs 64 and I do. Starts with the BIOS or newer UEFI. With data everything must ride the bus. The north/south bridge, cpu, video chip, hard drive and for this big known issue the "RAM". RAM: 32bit limit is 4GB, 64bit is 192GB :) I can go ALOT deeper but no need to. GUESS WHAT! Mines reached the 2GB limit moons ago --> ""CRASHES CONSTANTLY"" <--. I've spoke to Rafeal, Shaun (Not their fault) you have no expectations in current near future for a 64 bit release.

Looked at Traktor and no freakin way will I step back. Their is no other DVS I'm interested after owning the 57 and now the 62. This is not a cheap investment! HAS NEW ZEALAND AT LEAST STARTED CODE? Your programmers have several by the balls waiting. I'm 100% sure broke DJ's will upgrade laptops IF you all pushed 64 bit. TOTAL waist of time utilizing, sticking with 32 bit! TOTAL!! (my opinion). Thier are many benefits of 64 bit and yes hurdles I'm sure for the programmers but why start out 32 bit SDJ (big mistake). The year 2014 mainstream boards are 64 bit not 32 bit. 64 bit arrived in 2003, 11 years ago.

Summery: DJ's don't have time for bullshit 64 bit is WAY OVERDUE!
JR Zae 4:10 PM - 24 June, 2014
Yes !!! THANK YOU !
DJStylus 5:40 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
64 bit is WAY OVERDUE!

What he said.
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:23 AM - 25 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
64 bit is WAY OVERDUE!

What he said.

We are working on it.

In the meantime, @DJ Todd Anthony, did you try the beta version to see if your library will work? What other bugs in Serato DJ would you like to see fixed?
DJ Tecniq 2:07 PM - 25 June, 2014
I wish they would just keep supporting Scratchlive. SDJ is a death trap. Video does not run as smooth on it. If SDJ were to get rid of all the bells and whistles it would prob be a stable program. But go ahead keep updating it with stuff we don't need it seems to be working👌
Papa Midnight 3:52 PM - 25 June, 2014
You guys do realize that the same problem persist in ScratchLive too right?
skinnyguy 6:17 PM - 25 June, 2014
But it's further from the crash threshold since it uses less resources.
Papa Midnight 7:04 PM - 25 June, 2014
True. I just want people to look at it objectively.

Also, for those affected, I suggest trying the Large Library Beta.

serato.com
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:54 PM - 25 June, 2014
Hey DJ Tecniq,

Quote:
Video does not run as smooth on it.

Have you asked for help from our Support Team on this? serato.com I am sure they could get it working smooth if you let them know about the issues you are having.

Quote:
But it's further from the crash threshold since it uses less resources.

The beta version actually uses less memory than Scratch Live 2.5 now, which means its further from the crash threshold.
Joee 12:40 AM - 26 June, 2014
i gotta say i'm one of the one's that's been using serato dj since 1.3 i'm now running 1.6.1 every week with out any issue/problems what so ever

my serato folder is 124 mb and i have 400 crates

i'm on a i7 mac with a solid state hard drive & 8 gigs of ram
khy 3:41 AM - 24 July, 2014
still an issue, obviously, I'm on Scratch Live 2.5.0, Rane 57SL, HP Envy-14, Windows 8 Ent 64-bit, 16gb ram, quad core Intel i7-2820QM, 2.30 GHz, 215 GB Library, 42,912 Files, 2,283 Folders
DJ Todd Anthony 5:14 AM - 24 July, 2014
Not buy choice I picked up Traktor Scratch A6... Not bad, but their library layout is horrible but at least its stable. I wish someone would give us an estimated time frame for a release of 64 bit, I seriously want Serato as my DVS! I'm in hopes they started writing code for a 64 bit release.

QUOTE @ Martin C. : "We are working on it." ?
 6 5:24 AM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
still an issue, obviously, I'm on Scratch Live 2.5.0, Rane 57SL, HP Envy-14, Windows 8 Ent 64-bit, 16gb ram, quad core Intel i7-2820QM, 2.30 GHz, 215 GB Library, 42,912 Files, 2,283 Folders

Get those songs out of those folders and into one main one.
DJ Todd Anthony 5:36 AM - 24 July, 2014
This is 2 years back from another discussion "x64 Support for Serato DJ?". Is this currently still the thought process for Serato DJ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------
QUOTE:
Samuel S 4:28 PM - 11 October, 2012
Hey Kittmaster,

Serato DJ will not be a 64bit application.

Sam.
Quote· Report· Permalink
----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------
Samuel S 4:40 PM - 11 October, 2012

It's a huge architectural change to the software and would require a lot more work. Basically we want to deliver Serato DJ and the new features and performance to everyone as quickly as we can. Unfortunately it would push this project out considerably to do this.

Sam.
Quote· Report· Permalink
pdidy 5:46 AM - 24 July, 2014
Hey DJ Todd Anthony, stop trolling...on 22 June, 2014 Aaron E advised you and all others........and I quote.

"Hey guys

Creating a 64 bit application is something that is on our long term road map. With our work on our library management system though, there is nothing in our current feature set (or list of issues) that would be greatly helped by going to 64 bit.

Cheers
Aaron "

Find another hobby sir.....lol

serato.com
DJ Todd Anthony 1:44 PM - 24 July, 2014
I hooked the wrong worm on that thread entry, thanks for turning into a moderator overnight pdidy. Jokes aside this is far to serious for many waiting. That's a ->TOTAL<- "BS" response from Aaron! You have to start on a 64bit platform. Poor performance in 32 bit is often the result of a lack of available memory and blocks of continuous memory. With a current limit of 2GB makes no sense to keep @ 32 bit. NONE! I wonder why several competitors are current in 64 bit code....
Papa Midnight 6:18 PM - 24 July, 2014
64-bit support is something that is on the roadmap for Serato in the future according to indications from a few Serato representatives over the past few months. I'll also point out that there are no shortage of people who crash long before hitting the actual 2GB memory limit.

That said, have any of you (such as khy) who are indicating that you still experience crashes tried the Large Library beta? It's open to join to anyone: serato.com
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:09 AM - 25 July, 2014
Yes, although neither I or Aaron give you a firm answer as to when a 64 bit version will be available, I would really like for you to try the beta.

A 64 bit version requires us to tackle some big issues and change some things about the way our code is written, because we know that will take the time (and is currently being worked on as I type) we had a separate team tackle the main issue that has everyone requesting the 64 bit version - the library.

This team has significantly reduced the memory that the Serato DJ library uses and according to our tests, you can load a bigger library in this version of Serato DJ than you can in Scratch Live.

The more people who try and the beta and give us feedback - whether its to say "it works!" or if you find a problem, the quicker we can put this into an official release :)
DJ Todd Anthony 5:04 AM - 27 July, 2014
Marvin thank you for your feedback !!!! :) I seriously want to load SDJ but I might have an issue with midi, I use (2) Denon's sc3900's with the Rane 62. I'm not sure if I can import or force in an .xml file like SSL, I've been reading forums and that's all I'm holding out for so far.
DJ Remix Detroit 5:15 AM - 27 July, 2014
Quote:
I have 86,000+ tracks now and about 1200+ crates.

Quote:
I have about 65k of tracks, about 250 crates

Quote:
we have more like 80k tracks mixture of audio and video 25 crates 300 sub crates

holy shit! that shit crayyyy!
DJ Todd Anthony 5:16 AM - 27 July, 2014
(Correction) Martin, again thank you !
DJ Todd Anthony 5:20 AM - 27 July, 2014
@ DJ Remix Detroit... Are you referring to SDJ 1.6.3 beta (large library) or just public SDJ 1.6.3?
DJ Todd Anthony 5:27 AM - 27 July, 2014
Analyzing files I've had SSL upto 2.9GB of ram used, after reboot when it hits around 1.3-1.4GB it crashes. I've reduced library to get by....
DJ Remix Detroit 5:29 AM - 27 July, 2014
Quote:
@ DJ Remix Detroit... Are you referring to SDJ 1.6.3 beta (large library) or just public SDJ 1.6.3?

i'm referring to cats that have all those crates....wow. and i thought my 15 crates were more than enough...lol
DJ Todd Anthony 5:52 AM - 27 July, 2014
It was nice if all I did was one or two genre under 15 crates. As a mobile DJ (Ex club DJ) I have to have everything to my surroundings. The library grows with promo's daily :(
khy 3:44 PM - 27 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Get those songs out of those folders and into one main one.

yeah but then what? i have to manually order 43,000 songs into crates? as it is i have a lot of genres, and my library is ordered in windows logic for file structure, genre - artist - album - song, and it's the same on my back up usb as it is on my dj laptop and i use the java script to import the structure into serato and everything is easy to find...

played last night and have a really slow start up and a few freezes, not good.

64-bit is the way forward, you'd think rane/serato would have started their new platform as 64-bit from the get go. not much good to me at the moment though as the 57SL is not supported by Serato DJ anyway, and it was $600 when i bought and the equivalent serato dj supported model is $2000!
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:08 AM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
I seriously want to load SDJ but I might have an issue with midi, I use (2) Denon's sc3900's with the Rane 62. I'm not sure if I can import or force in an .xml file like SSL, I've been reading forums and that's all I'm holding out for so far.

Yeah it depends what you want to map to be honest. Are you using the preset that was made available here?: serato.com

Unfortunately there isn't a mapping available for Serato DJ with those but you can map devices yourself but there is unfortunate downsides at present:

- No MIDI output lighting so buttons won't light up, something we are yet to do.
- No MIDI panel offering library scroll/load deck and other features, on its way very soon in an update.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:11 AM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
played last night and have a really slow start up and a few freezes, not good.

If you are having problems with Scratch Live, I recommend opening a help request here: serato.com
DJ Todd Anthony 5:28 AM - 28 July, 2014
Martin..

I believe I grabbed the xml file from Denon's forum (wonder if the command codes be manipulated/copied from a text file into SDJ) if that's why you mentioned that...

The scroll/load deck knob is a definite need for use for SDJ. Manuel mapping wouldn't be a problem but unable to map scroll/ load deck would be.... Definitely need the midi panel.

The lights (to me) are not as important, their not current basic functioning need.. Internal always on preset doesn't hurt at all.

Also curious if the 15 min jump from relative to internal in SSL was ever corrected in SDJ ?
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:41 AM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
I believe I grabbed the xml file from Denon's forum (wonder if the command codes be manipulated/copied from a text file into SDJ) if that's why you mentioned that...

It could be manipulated, but it could be tricky. Depends how knowledgeable and resourceful you are with MIDI.

Otherwise you may have to wait a little bit longer to start mapping using the interface.

Quote:
Also curious if the 15 min jump from relative to internal in SSL was ever corrected in SDJ ?

Not too sure what you are referring to here. Can you link me to a particular post/discussion or something?
DJ Todd Anthony 3:19 PM - 28 July, 2014
Not sure how to copy a link, the title is "Denon SC-3900 Serato switches from relative to internal mode @ about 2:00". Thread is; Forum -> DJing Discussion -> Denon SC-3900 Serato switches from relative to internal mode @ about 2:00.

This happens at every gig, have to place SSL back into relative mode using the spinning platter hybrid 1khz tone. It's not just related to the sc3000's, I've seen it posted in the past.

Martin, "BIG" thanks for stepping in. After Aug 9th I'll be able to test SDJ.
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:42 AM - 29 July, 2014
Sorry man, I have tried searching for that in several different ways with no luck.

What browser/OS are you on? It should be a matter of copying the URL in the address bar at the top of your browser: answers.microsoft.com
DJ Todd Anthony 5:50 AM - 29 July, 2014
Duh... I actually knew that but brain wasn't thinking copy html line. link: serato.com
DJ Remy USA 3:08 PM - 30 July, 2014
I feel bad for you guys not using ITUNES. I have over 43,000 tracks and though I dont use serato DJ when I do have to use it. Ive had not had the issue Im seeing here in this thread. Are any ITUNES users having this issue? I have been so hesitant to switch over because of some the issues
LilSwann 7:19 PM - 30 July, 2014
I see a lot of people blaming this issue on the fact that SDJ is a 32-bit program but correct if I'm wrong or if this has already been mentioned but isn't SSL 32 bit too? Still trying to understand and get of grip of where this problem is coming from. I have been lucky to not have this issue and be able to use SDJ with only a couple of issues but still be able to play using DVS with a Rane 62. Want to be able to avoid having this issue in the future while my collection is growing and until the issue is truly fixed.
khy 7:19 PM - 30 July, 2014
Quote:
I feel bad for you guys not using ITUNES. I have over 43,000 tracks and though I dont use serato DJ when I do have to use it. Ive had not had the issue Im seeing here in this thread. Are any ITUNES users having this issue? I have been so hesitant to switch over because of some the issues

hey remy are you saying you do or dont use scratch live or serato dj? which version? i guess you're on a mac right?

and you just use the itunes library and don't import anything to serato?
djnak 7:38 PM - 30 July, 2014
Quote:

I think that is what he is saying...I also do the same( I find itunes smart crates alot better than serato's...although all my id3 info is exactly how I want/need it so when you open the music folder it mirrors my smart crates....
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:09 AM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
I see a lot of people blaming this issue on the fact that SDJ is a 32-bit program but correct if I'm wrong or if this has already been mentioned but isn't SSL 32 bit too?

Fair question and I don't think its explained anywhere else. In terms of the library handling, Serato DJ and Scratch Live are the same - but the FX that Serato DJ use, unfortunately consumes more memory than the FX in Scratch Live. As a result, this has lowered the size of library you can load in Serato DJ.

With the beta I have been linking to however (serato.com) we have improved the library so that can load a library bigger than Scratch Live allowed for.

I hope that clears things up :)

If you have been able to use Serato DJ without any memory issues (its obvious, because it will crash as soon as you open the software, not just randomly during a gig) then I recommend continuing to use it and you will see the improvements come through.
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:10 AM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
Duh... I actually knew that but brain wasn't thinking copy html line. link: serato.com

Cheers, I will jump in that discussion and check it out.
DJ Remy USA 1:57 PM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

hey remy are you saying you do or dont use scratch live or serato dj? which version? i guess you're on a mac right?

I dont import anything into serato I just use my itunes library for everything. So I do not have a single SSL crate well I have a few for special stuff but 98% of my music is stored in itunes.
DJ Remy USA 2:03 PM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

whooops didnt answer your question barely, Yes Im on mac when I use SDJ Im on version 1.6 the pre external control version so Ive only used SDJ with controllers and I use SSL version 2.4 I rarely upgrade unless I need to.
LilSwann 7:21 PM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:

If you have been able to use Serato DJ without any memory issues (its obvious, because it will crash as soon as you open the software, not just randomly during a gig) then I recommend continuing to use it and you will see the improvements come through.

Well that's good to know I guess my library isn't quite large enough for to have the memory issue...I've been able to open SDJ without problems since day 1.
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:42 PM - 31 July, 2014
I'd like to know if Serato have any intentions of updating SSL with these large library fixes they plan on incorporating into SDJ
DJ Todd Anthony 7:51 PM - 31 July, 2014
SSL I believe went way on the back burner (I'm using it as well) .... can't wait till SDJ has more midi control (a midi panel like SSL) and of course the release of x64 SDJ "one of these years" :)
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:28 PM - 31 July, 2014
I know SSL is well on the back burner but I want to see if their true to their word about updating SSL with bug fixes till 2015,

not that I have the large library issue but i'd consider this worthy of a fix, wouldn't you?
LilSwann 10:52 PM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
In terms of the library handling, Serato DJ and Scratch Live are the same - but the FX that Serato DJ use, unfortunately consumes more memory than the FX in Scratch Live. As a result, this has lowered the size of library you can load in Serato DJ.

^^^^with this being said though would it be safe to assume that if it's the FX that mainly takes up more memory wouldn't the issue be fixed if you just turn the FX off? We had that option in SSL but it's not present in SDJ.
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:19 AM - 1 August, 2014
Quote:
I'd like to know if Serato have any intentions of updating SSL with these large library fixes they plan on incorporating into SDJ

We have no intention of updating Scratch Live with this particular bug fix. One of the reasons of moving to the platform of Serato DJ was to allow the opportunity to address these issues - the way we have implemented in Serato DJ is most likely not possible to use the same method for Scratch Live.

We will continue to monitor feedback and test Scratch Live on new operating systems for any critical issues that may arise as a result of new operating systems. This is the main focus of support for Scratch Live.

In addition to that, the library issue is not as prevalent on Scratch Live as it is in Serato DJ, as mentioned before - the memory consumption of the FX are a contributing factor.
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:22 AM - 1 August, 2014
Quote:
^^^^with this being said though would it be safe to assume that if it's the FX that mainly takes up more memory wouldn't the issue be fixed if you just turn the FX off? We had that option in SSL but it's not present in SDJ.

Perhaps that is something we could look at also - however with the recent work to reduce the memory consumption for the library in Serato DJ, we should have negated the need for disabling the FX.

I think its a great idea though, something we should keep in mind if we are still finding reports of libraries being too large after we release the full version which contains this improvement. Its a bit tough though - telling the user to disable a feature in order to use the software. I guess its better than crashing though!
khy 2:44 AM - 1 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

We have no intention of updating Scratch Live with this particular bug fix. One of the reasons of moving to the platform of Serato DJ was to allow the opportunity to address these issues - the way we have implemented in Serato DJ is most likely not possible to use the same method for Scratch Live.

that is a bit sucky for all those who bought the 57SL which is great mixer.

what is the part of 57SL/SL1 that is incompatible with Serato DJ?
djcrap 4:00 AM - 1 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps that is something we could look at also - however with the recent work to reduce the memory consumption for the library in Serato DJ, we should have negated the need for disabling the FX.

I think its a great idea though, something we should keep in mind if we are still finding reports of libraries being too large after we release the full version which contains this improvement. Its a bit tough though - telling the user to disable a feature in order to use the software. I guess its better than crashing though!

I think just give us the option of disabling the fx any way because if it frees up memory then thats good idea since pitch n time dj is also a memory intensive plugin it can use that freed up memory. Since some of us rarely use fx section any way
DJ Todd Anthony 4:05 AM - 1 August, 2014
Quote:
I know SSL is well on the back burner but I want to see if their true to their word about updating SSL with bug fixes till 2015,

not that I have the large library issue but i'd consider this worthy of a fix, wouldn't you?

The honest bug fix in my world is the library concern. 64 bit is the true fix for either platform, but SSL is on it's way out. I'm just riding the storm out, keeping my fingers crossed.

I turned towards a venting mood....

I'm a tech for 2 other DJ's running SSL (for now till SDJ is stable). The company owner is considering throwing the towel in and retiring. Say your at a wedding performing, crash after crash you can't continue cause of library issues even with a backup laptop and hard drives (this has happened already). Not a good feeling in their or my shoes.

Sam the CEO of Serato, I hope understands the mass of people dependent on this product.

I did some home work and read up on traktor, loading a large library is no problem, in my opinion the library layout is awful. I went to Sam Ash to play with it. Traktor is no longer in the spot light on display or connected to any mixer only SDJ (I turned red). I couldn't believe Sam Ash, then off to Guitar Center (the same). Wow, both offer Serato classes (Oh My God) seriously, c'mon.... I went to get hands on with traktor, fed up with the library issue. Serato is currently the industry standard that crashes if you have too much music on your hard drive loaded (wonderful)... I not thrashing the product, I love it but not when its unstable. Currently reduced the library to get by for now...

Martin please sprinkle magic dust and make this chapter go away... This Serato challenge has me here now after years of silence.
monchi 11:53 AM - 1 August, 2014
Sam the CEO of Serato, he moved on.
DJ Todd Anthony 12:34 PM - 1 August, 2014
Quote:

Wow... Thought it was a joke, googled it and it's true. Who ever fills his shoes has big hurdles to cope with. I know this company truly cares about it customers, all we can do is use band aids and wait.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:00 PM - 1 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Wow... Thought it was a joke, googled it and it's true. Who ever fills his shoes has big hurdles to cope with. I know this company truly used to care about it customers, all we can do is use band aids and wait.

fixed
DJ VEE 4:18 PM - 1 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow... Thought it was a joke, googled it and it's true. Who ever fills his shoes has big hurdles to cope with. I know this company truly used to care about it customers, all we can do is use band aids and wait.

fixed

Lol!
DJ Todd Anthony 9:34 PM - 1 August, 2014
Holly sh_t, nice spin on words... I just read and caught that... lol
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:14 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:

Its unfortunate indeed. But much like any technology, you have to move forward and sometimes leave things behind to progress. I am sure the TTM 57SL and SL1 remain a favourite device for many.

These devices aren't just up to audio standard to run with Serato DJ I am afraid.

Quote:
I think just give us the option of disabling the fx any way because if it frees up memory then thats good idea since pitch n time dj is also a memory intensive plugin it can use that freed up memory. Since some of us rarely use fx section any way

Its a fair point, I can definitely ask if we can consider doing this/if its possible like it was in Scratch Live.

Quote:
I'm a tech for 2 other DJ's running SSL (for now till SDJ is stable). The company owner is considering throwing the towel in and retiring. Say your at a wedding performing, crash after crash you can't continue cause of library issues even with a backup laptop and hard drives (this has happened already). Not a good feeling in their or my shoes.

Thats why we recommend that you use Serato DJ at home for a while until you gain trust in the software. As I mentioned, with the library issue - it will be pretty obvious if you have it, the software crashes on start up, not in the middle of a gig.

There is a new beta here which contains the same memory optimisations I have been talking about plus more features here: serato.com
dj_soo 8:02 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:

so what, you only have like 20 songs?

If you guys think SDJ is bad now, you're going to have a field day when the 64-bit version drops.
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:13 PM - 4 August, 2014
The 57 and sl1 could be used its serato dropping support for them its not like there is something thats not compatible,

the masses wanted usb 2.0 for years and serato swore adamently that usb 1.1 was sufficent,

so the bottom line is if they wanted to they could make them compatible but by not supporting them they leave the end user the ultimatium of either buy new hardware to use sdj or stay with ssl on their current sl1 or 57ttm
Jensen Määäm 8:15 PM - 4 August, 2014
The funny thing is, the DDJ-SX has a USB 1.1 port.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:16 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
The 57 and sl1 could be used its serato dropping support for them its not like there is something thats not compatible,

the masses wanted usb 2.0 for years and serato swore adamently that usb 1.1 was sufficent,

so the bottom line is if they wanted to they could make them compatible but by not supporting them they leave the end user the ultimatium of either buy new hardware to use sdj or stay with ssl on their current sl1 or 57ttm

yup
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:17 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:

These devices aren't just up to audio standard to run with Serato DJ I am afraid.

From the looks of it Serato Dj isnt even up to the standards needed to run serato Dj
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:27 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:

Please refrain from unnecessary speculation. Both Serato and Rane agreed to discontinue support for these devices. Rane no longer manufacturers these devices or maintain their firmware - Serato no longer supports them in the software. Its a common business practice to move forward when you no longer make/sell something.

@Dj-M.Bezzle, cheer up :)

Hope to see you contributing in the 1.7.0 public beta so you can tell me why Serato DJ is not up to standard: serato.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:35 PM - 4 August, 2014
It's not speculation, as stated by a serato staff member the ddj-sx uses usb 1.1 thats why it can not support this new dvs add-on, according to the info i can find on google it's usb 2.0 so what is it,

and if it is 1.1 your whole arguement of sdj not being compatible with usb 1.1 is bullshit and you call be called out on it,

if you had said hey guys were leaving 1.1 but you said it wasn't compatible which if the ddj-sx is 1.1 contradicts your whole statement
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:36 PM - 4 August, 2014
USB 1.1 is not my whole argument. Where had I mentioned that was the reason? I stated the reasons above, Rane and Serato made a decision to discontinue support.

The fact that the DDJ-SX is USB 1.1 is completely unrelated.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:44 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
USB 1.1 is not my whole argument. Where had I mentioned that was the reason? I stated the reasons above, Rane and Serato made a decision to discontinue support.

So what your saying is we are correct, it's not that the 57 and sl1 CANT work with sdj, it's that you giys WON'T make it work with sdj. Its not a technical limitation, it's a business decision. ....
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:45 PM - 4 August, 2014
*guys
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:48 PM - 4 August, 2014
Its both a technical limitation and a business decision.
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:48 PM - 4 August, 2014
my comment isn't related to anything specific but rather then the general serato staff saying before that the reason the sl1 and 57 isn't serato dj compatible is due to the limitations of usb1.1 which turn out to be false as the pioneer ddj-sx is usb 1.1
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:50 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Its both a technical decision and a business decision.

more like a buisness decision to drum up more buisness,
just tell it how it is and we won't be mad but don't say its not technically possible when it is
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:53 PM - 4 August, 2014
Those devices being USB 1.1 are part of the reason but not the entire reason.

Although the 57SL, SL1 and DDJ-SX are all USB 1.1, it doesn't mean the audio architecture is the same. The were manufactured years apart - of course the DDJ-SX was able to take advantage of newer technologies and information that wasn't available at the time the other devices were developed.

Remember, those two devices were Serato and Rane's were in the beginning. If Rane were to ever re-make the exact devices now I am sure it would be done differently, just like we would support them differently in the software.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:53 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

just tell it how it is and we won't be mad but don't say its not technically possible when it is

This, stop hiding the truth, we didn't land on serato Dj....SERATO DJ LANDED ON US!!
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:54 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:

Aren't most business decisions made to make sure the business is sustainable?
DJ Remy USA 9:02 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This, stop hiding the truth, we didn't land on serato Dj....SERATO DJ LANDED ON US!!

This had me dying. Bezzle you are a fool you need to stop it.lol
Papa Midnight 10:25 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

so what, you only have like 20 songs?

You know he's referring to the actual _Serato_ directory right?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:42 PM - 4 August, 2014
Straight com-mo-dee.
Joee 10:45 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:

that was funny……lmao
djattila 11:23 PM - 4 August, 2014
Popcorn
nik39 12:05 AM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
my comment isn't related to anything specific but rather then the general serato staff saying before that the reason the sl1 and 57 isn't serato dj compatible is due to the limitations of usb1.1 which turn out to be false as the pioneer ddj-sx is usb 1.1

The SL1/57 works very different than the DDJ-SX. The DDJ SX does not have to transport any control-signal/noisemap streams. That's one reason why the DDJ-SX works, and the SL1/57 do not work.

If you pay close attention to the recent announcements, then you will realize that the DVS expanstion pack will be supported by a few controllers. On that list you will not find the DDJ-SX. Why? Because it is USB 1.1.
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:09 AM - 5 August, 2014
look at the end of the day it's software, if they wanted to make it work they could, would you not agree that there is no hardware limitation preventing you from using a sl1 with sdj its strictly the software
LilSwann 1:47 AM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
look at the end of the day it's software, if they wanted to make it work they could, would you not agree that there is no hardware limitation preventing you from using a sl1 with sdj its strictly the software

Software that has to used with hardware unless you're DJing in offline mode. The hardware has to be able to handle whatever the software puts out. It's just like how I can run Ableton on my computer just fine because my hardware is better. The same wouldn't be the same for an older computer if you get my comparison.
khy 2:43 AM - 6 August, 2014
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Its unfortunate indeed. But much like any technology, you have to move forward and sometimes leave things behind to progress. I am sure the TTM 57SL and SL1 remain a favourite device for many.

don't get me wrong, the 57sl is great and i love scratch live, it just sucks that it never made it to 64 bit, and that it has a problem with large library...

and i haven't used an external sl box for so long i forgot you couldn't record straight to serato, so i probably will buy a new mixer just for direct recording and because serato dj supports larger libraries with less difficulty but even still, no 64 bit? come on, it a bit of a waste of time to code 32bit these days

saying sl1/57sl isn't up to audio standard isn't really any answer, specifically what? will serato dj not play low bit rate files because they are not up to the standard? of course not...
djvtyme85 11:18 PM - 6 August, 2014
u can record if you have a sl3 or sl4
DJ Irv 2:34 PM - 8 August, 2014
You will never get an exact technical reason for the SL1 and 57SL not working with Serato DJ because it is a business decision. It would work Serato DJ even if not optimal dropping it was a business decision. You guys can complain but at the end of the day you will just buy another SL box or 61/62 but, if you feel some type of way about it Serato is not the only DVS solution.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:58 PM - 8 August, 2014
Quote:
You guys can complain but at the end of the day you will just buy another SL box or 61/62.

the fuck I will!
DJ Todd Anthony 4:14 PM - 13 August, 2014
Check out this thread.... SDJ can handle a larger library.

serato.com
Cosgrove 3:41 AM - 12 June, 2017
Had it happen to me last week. Started with 1.9.4, tried 1.9.5 and 1.9.6. Serato DJ would kernel crash within 1-2 minutes of playing. My internal library was way to full, so I deleted over 50G, and it crashed again. Meanwhile before deleting 50G Scratch live worked fine and continued to work fine after. Back to a Rane mixers only !!
Papa Midnight 5:36 PM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
Had it happen to me last week. Started with 1.9.4, tried 1.9.5 and 1.9.6. Serato DJ would kernel crash within 1-2 minutes of playing. My internal library was way to full, so I deleted over 50G, and it crashed again.

You mentioned that this started with 1.9.4. Did you observe this same behavior with 1.9.3 or prior as well?

I don't think your issue is related to your library size. I'd suggest further troubleshooting, and probably opening a support ticket to figure out why you're experiencing a crash. I say this because, in our experience (as you'll find consistently noted through this thread), we would not be able to load our database libraries -- never mind get to the point where it was possible to get 2 minutes of actual playback. Likewise, one should not confuse or conflate media library size with database library size (which is the culprit of the issue here). Also, you mentioned this:

Quote:
Meanwhile before deleting 50G Scratch live worked fine and continued to work fine after.

If this had been a database issue, it is more-likely-than-not that your library would never have loaded under Serato Scratch Live.
VILIFY 10:51 AM - 28 July, 2018
I DJ on turntables at my studio / in clubs,
but when I don't have time to get to the studio I'll do some set planning on my controller at home.

Then when I open SSL *sometimes, folders are missing, deleted, out of order and my entire history is deleted.
It's such an incredible waste of time and so frustrating after putting so much work.

I think this is bullshit.
and it makes me so nervous every time I open up my serato at a club to play that what I've prepared will be gone.

WHACK.
Mr. Goodkat 6:45 PM - 28 July, 2018
its wack not whack
VILIFY 8:06 PM - 28 July, 2018
Quote:
its wack not whack

Super helpful, thanks.