Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

A few questions? Coming from Scratch Live!

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Rane Sixty-Four
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJ Stoyvo 2:49 AM - 23 October, 2013
Hey Guys,

Just picked up my rane Sixty-Four (Yay!) but i have no idea where some settings are that were available in SSL. Can someone help me out?

1) Why can't I sort my cue points chronologically?

2) My beat grid doesn't show up... It did in SSL. I even re-analyzed my files, still nothing. The BeatGrid option is checked.

3) Sometimes in offline mode, songs play in a different pitch? I have to restart my mac and hope it doesnt happen again.

4) Serato DJ crashes randomly. Doesnt matter what song i play or what I do, it's just randomly crashing. I read something about large libraries being an issue? I have ~1100 crates (includes subcrates). Is there an update on this?

5) Any chance of having SP6 routed through the mic output? Forcing us to pick a channel isn't ideal...

6) The help hover tooltip thing doesnt tell me how to trigger cues 6, 7, and 8 via keyboard. How is this done?

7) When I clear my history and close Serato DJ, it magically comes back and I must re-clear my history. How do I turn this feature off?

8) Deleting a file inside the __SERATO__ folder would re-order your crates alphabetically... Serato DJ loads them randomly? Moving ~1100 crates manually isn't something I really wanted to do.

9) The "Online" button in the corner, i checked DO NOT SHOW ME THIS AGAIN, but it's still there? Just Curious.

Thanks!
- Stoyvo
boabmatic 2:36 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:

2) My beat grid doesn't show up... It did in SSL. I even re-analyzed my files, still nothing. The BeatGrid option is checked.

this post says you need Sync enabled in the set-up menu to see the beat grids.
serato.com
Konix 3:07 PM - 23 October, 2013
1) Sort cues chronologically isn't an option yet in SDJ

2) Simple Sync has to be enabled (as well as snap to beatgrids) in order for beatgrids to show. You don't have to use sync, but the option has to be checked in the setup menu

3) Make sure your soundcard is set to 44.1kHz, see if this helps Watchwww.youtube.com

4) Serato just released a 1.5.1 update to address some crashing issues, download that

5) Nope, can't route SP-6 to the mic

6) Can't trigger cues 6,7,8 from the keyboard, only 1-5. You could however go into layer 3 or 4 on the side strips on the 64 and map those to cues points (all 8, in fact)

7) The played tracks color (blue/grey) comes back after clearing? Sounds like a database V2 file issue

8) Deleting the neworder.pref file to alphabetize crates only works if all your files are stored on one drive. If you use multiple drives (internal+external, for example), deleting the neworder.pref file probably won't work

9) Not sure about that one
DJ Stoyvo 4:49 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:
3) Make sure your soundcard is set to 44.1kHz, see if this helps Watchwww.youtube.com

Add, thanks! I was running 48k.

Quote:
4) Serato just released a 1.5.1 update to address some crashing issues, download that

I am running 1.5.1...

Quote:
7) The played tracks color (blue/grey) comes back after clearing? Sounds like a database V2 file issue

Yeah they keep coming back/re-highlighting... But it's fine after I clear my history, load 1 song, then close.

Quote:
8) Deleting the neworder.pref file to alphabetize crates only works if all your files are stored on one drive. If you use multiple drives (internal+external, for example), deleting the neworder.pref file probably won't work

I run two internal drives on my mbp. I delete the file on both drives. In SSL it will order alphabetically on Drive 1, then order Drive 2 (Eg: A-ZA-Z), which is fine. But Serato DJ is just doing it's own order
Rane, Support
RafaelM 7:54 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I am running 1.5.1...

It would be a good idea to re analyze all files in Serato DJ to make sure its not detecting any as corrupt.

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah they keep coming back/re-highlighting... But it's fine after I clear my history, load 1 song, then close.

This does sound like a bad Database issue. Try rebuilding it: serato.com

Quote:
Quote:

I run two internal drives on my mbp. I delete the file on both drives. In SSL it will order alphabetically on Drive 1, then order Drive 2 (Eg: A-ZA-Z), which is fine. But Serato DJ is just doing it's own order

Ths could also be caused by a bad Database file.
DJ Stoyvo 7:58 PM - 23 October, 2013
Thanks RafaelM (And others).

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am running 1.5.1...

It would be a good idea to re analyze all files in Serato DJ to make sure its not detecting any as corrupt.

I tried re analyzing everything, it got stuff at 9034 while analyzing the free content loops offered by Serato DJ. They are aif files. Another database issue? Or is this something you know about?
Rane, Support
RafaelM 9:15 PM - 23 October, 2013
Those files have had an issue with 10.6.8 in the past. Are you still on 10.6.8?

Delete all those files and re download them from here (if you still want them):

serato.com

Look out for this: "NOTE: If you are using Mac OS X 10.6.8, please download the Loopmasters Sample Content here."
DJ Stoyvo 9:57 PM - 23 October, 2013
Ahh sorry, totally missed that message. I grabbed the files from the installer package.

Thanks!
Rane, Support
RafaelM 10:28 PM - 23 October, 2013
No worries. Once those are out, it would still be a good idea to re analyze all files. It helps the program remain stable.
DJ Stoyvo 1:24 AM - 24 October, 2013
Speaking of stable, on the Rane Sixty-Four I can't turn sync off. It says "^ SYNC FF", but pressing the button again restarts the track. Bug?

Also, Key Lock keeps turning itself off for every track. Is that normal or another database issue? This doesnt sound like very many SSL databases are compatible with Serato DJ...
DJ Stoyvo 1:28 AM - 24 October, 2013
How do I access cue points 5-8 on this thing? We need a serious FAQ for this
DJ Stoyvo 1:37 AM - 24 October, 2013
After reading the manual, I realized that SYNC (which has the EXACT same markings are the headphone cue) doesn't turn off the same way as you'd expect. Instead, if I hit SYNC by accident, i need to take my hands away from the mixer to turn it off. Great thinking...

When will there be an option in the setup for "Tapping SYNC again turns it off"?

Also, the unmarked Layer 3 was the cue point layer. I'm happy as hell I have a manual and not using this for the first time at a gig! *phewww*
Konix 2:28 PM - 24 October, 2013
Shift button + SYNC button disables sync.
DJ Stoyvo 3:18 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
Shift button + SYNC button disables sync.

So how do we do that with 1 hand when you hit it by accident on the right side?

I'd turn off sync completely, but the beatgrid won't work if I do...
Rane, Support
RafaelM 4:02 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
Also, the unmarked Layer 3 was the cue point layer. I'm happy as hell I have a manual and not using this for the first time at a gig! *phewww*

Yes it would be wise to read the Manual and get familiar with the unit before playing for a crowd. That goes for all gear - period.

Quote:
So how do we do that with 1 hand when you hit it by accident on the right side?

I'd turn off sync completely, but the beatgrid won't work if I do...

The mixer comes with standard controls. If you dont like them, go into another layer and map the mixer to react the way you want it to. No one is forcing you to use layer 1.