Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Twitch fader effects issues

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Novation TWITCH
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJSergius 9:07 PM - 5 September, 2013
Hello. Since installing Serato DJ to use with my Novation Twitch controller the way fader effects works is very awkward.

In Itch fader effects with twitch would consist of activating the effect, lower fader position on channel to adjust wet/dry for selected effect, deactivate effect and volume for that channel returned to what was previously set until fader returns to that postition, then control volume.

With DJ fader effects work differently. Select channel output, activate effect, lower fader position to adjust wet/dry, deactivate effect and volume snaps to new fader position. Then if effect is reactivated no control is gained until fader is moved then it snaps to fader position for wet/dry mix.

This is confusing and awkward. Fader effects in Itch were great and one of my favorite things to use. I love the select output for effects but I would like similar functionality to Itch returned to Twitch for the fader effects. Like the volume save and control of the wet/dry mix while the effect is not active.

I still use Itch for performance and I love the new features in DJ for gigs. This one issue however is preventing me from using it in performance to its fullest.

Please let me know if this can be patched in a future update and thank you all for producing good products and software.
DJWT 4:45 PM - 6 September, 2013
Me too!!!

can we get that at 1.5 ??
revd 5:49 PM - 9 September, 2013
Yes me too. This is a real backward step. Hope Serato get it fixed.
MrChippa 8:20 AM - 10 September, 2013
Me too! I thought more people would notice this.

It used to be one of my favourite features, now it's really un-usable and is a big step back from how it used to work.

For the rest I'm loving Serato DJ!
VlabMichl 5:31 AM - 11 September, 2013
I vote also for getting back the "old" ITCH behaviour of the FX-slider.
...was more intuitive to use - more straightforward...
Mr Wilks 9:01 PM - 11 September, 2013
It's the first thing I noticed when using the FX but just thought it was by design.

I now think it's a bug (or at least a glaring omission).
Mixmachine 9:32 AM - 12 September, 2013
Was testing this and I see what the OP describes, seems like de-activating (Off) the FX in any wet/dry setting creates all kinds of weird behaviors, like stuck last effect volume that after re activating is enabled even with slider all the way up...

Never noticed because I only activate/deactivate FX at full VOL and leave it ON for the duration of the track (in case I want to use it again), as I have not found any need to deactivate with sliders in wet/dry settings.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 11:00 AM - 20 September, 2013
Hi all,

the fader effects not having what we call a "pick up function" in Serato DJ is a known bug. It's been logged and hopefully we will have a fix in a future version

Cheers

Karl Y
DJSergius 3:57 AM - 5 February, 2014
Hello all.

The fader effect "pick up funtion" is still a very froward issue to myself and as I would believe, most Twitch users. The fader effect workflow in ITCH was ideal and alowed for very unique effect combinations that made using the software and controller fun and simple. As much as I love the features in Serato DJ this continuing issue has stopped me from even using my gear and is close to driving me away from Serato software all together. As of S-DJ 1.6.0 the only bug fix Twitch users will benefit from is a button lighting fix. Unless it was omited from the relese notes the "pick up funtion" issue is still a problem. They way it seems Serato has presented the "pick up" issue is that it is a software problem not entirely related to the Twitch controler. If that is so then why has it not been fixed for everyone already? S-DJ has been updated three times since Oct 2013 and this has still not been fixed to my knowledge.

Please, please, pelase fix this issue so that Serato users can once again have fun with the software they purchased.
MrChippa 3:52 PM - 5 February, 2014
Dissapointed to hear it is not fixed yet. I can only use two of the three effects in multi FX mode and not all parameters in single mode.
The only safe way I found to work around this is turning the FX deck/ master selection off, then you can bring the effects back to zero without having volume issues.
I know Serato you have been busy but please fix this ASAP. This was one of the selling points of the twitch/itch combo!
life is complex beats 11:31 PM - 5 February, 2014
Bump!
Serato, Support
Karl Y 10:15 AM - 10 February, 2014
Hi all,

yes sorry, this is still on the list, but i don't have any information more specific at this stage, unfortunately.

Regards

Karl
Kitch Lorraine 10:19 AM - 10 February, 2014
Quote:
Dissapointed to hear it is not fixed yet. I can only use two of the three effects in multi FX mode and not all parameters in single mode.

I'm dissapointed to. This restriction makes it almost impossible to use the effects with the "native mapping" from serato. you have to map them to additional hardware like an LPD8.
Mr Wilks 1:59 PM - 10 February, 2014
I'll be honest here Karl and say there is still about 10 outstanding issues on the Twitch that came into play with 1.3 and they still need addressing.

Fader FX not soft picking up/Button lighting on grid and swipe mode/faulty AUX input all need addressing but aren't a priority so every time I get out my unit (which gets used 7 days a week for gigs) it feels like an incomplete device.

Makes me sad in a way as it's the poor mapping that is driving me away from this unit. Honestly, you've made me fall out of love with it!

I used to use my Twitch with Scratch Live as a controller (like an SP1) but now I can't.

I just wish my beloved Twitch was as complete as it was in Itch :(
Mr Wilks 2:04 PM - 10 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I'm dissapointed to. This restriction makes it almost impossible to use the effects with the "native mapping" from serato. you have to map them to additional hardware like an LPD8.

One of my biggest frustrations is the doubling up of the FX time rotary.

It's available in the top left FX section and also doubled up just above the channel fader. This shouldn't have been the case. Why not keep this rotary above the channel fader as it's original function of FX select? The timing rotary was good where it was and now feel like you've over complicated something.

This should be put back along with the soft pickup of the fader.
rev d 8:25 PM - 10 February, 2014
I'll also vote for the fader fx to be fixed. It's a real problem in day to day use. Luckily I have an ipad and have started to use the remote app instead for effects, cos I do not find the other fx controls intuitive at all.
Kitch Lorraine 11:55 AM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:

One of my biggest frustrations is the doubling up of the FX time rotary.

It's available in the top left FX section and also doubled up just above the channel fader. This shouldn't have been the case. Why not keep this rotary above the channel fader as it's original function of FX select? The timing rotary was good where it was and now feel like you've over complicated something.

This should be put back along with the soft pickup of the fader.

100% agree!
sudo 6:37 PM - 18 February, 2014
The way the effects function on the Twitch has been a long-standing problem and absolutely nothing has been done to resolve it. You simply cannot control the effects during a live performance the way the current mapping expects you to, and the failure of the pickup feature (while the most obvious fault) isn't the worst of it.

We'll leave aside the lack of dotted beat settings in multi FX mode - an issue that affects every controller, not just ours.
Wizzu 10:28 PM - 19 February, 2014
Quote:
I'll be honest here Karl and say there is still about 10 outstanding issues on the Twitch that came into play with 1.3 and they still need addressing.
Quote:
Makes me sad in a way as it's the poor mapping that is driving me away from this unit. Honestly, you've made me fall out of love with it!
Quote:
I just wish my beloved Twitch was as complete as it was in Itch :(
+1'000'000'000!

They really messed up and changed too many things, feels like a big step back with the Twitch. The controller/software interaction was PERFECT with Itch 2.2.2. Why, why, why change so many things? Just for the sake of doing new things? OK new is cool, but don't try and fix something that's not broken in the first place... this is NOT cool!

SDJ 1.6 is great with the DDJ-SX, though. I'm having lots of fun with it. I love SDJ. As long as I don't plug my Twitch. :-(

As previously said, to DJ with the Twitch, I stick with Itch. No way I can DJ properly with Twitch/SDJ. It's awkward and feels like the controller is a poorly though-out one. For me the worst thing is the touchstrip sensitivity, but to each his own.
Mr Wilks 6:54 PM - 20 February, 2014
Quote:
They really messed up and changed too many things, feels like a big step back with the Twitch. The controller/software interaction was PERFECT with Itch 2.2.2. Why, why, why change so many things? Just for the sake of doing new things? OK new is cool, but don't try and fix something that's not broken in the first place... this is NOT cool!

SDJ 1.6 is great with the DDJ-SX, though. I'm having lots of fun with it. I love SDJ. As long as I don't plug my Twitch. :-(

As previously said, to DJ with the Twitch, I stick with Itch. No way I can DJ properly with Twitch/SDJ. It's awkward and feels like the controller is a poorly though-out one. For me the worst thing is the touchstrip sensitivity, but to each his own.

Amen to that.

Things have been changed just for the sake of it. The addition of P'NT now makes me stick with an awful mapping. Grrrr.
viper9711 4:54 PM - 22 February, 2014
6 month without a fix and information when we get the fader-FX-Bug fix- that´s more than hard..
I dont´t understand why Serato don´t fix it in the 1.6 Version-it seems Twitch users are less importend...
andretti 9:53 AM - 26 February, 2014
I was so happy to be able to do a free upgrade from Itch to DJ and I generally like DJ a lot, but I find the whole experience with effects disappointing. Now off course the Twitch wasn't designed for DJ, but with some logic and attention it must be possible to get a better mapping
and useability for the effects on Twitch!?
Mr Wilks 11:03 AM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
I was so happy to be able to do a free upgrade from Itch to DJ and I generally like DJ a lot, but I find the whole experience with effects disappointing. Now off course the Twitch wasn't designed for DJ, but with some logic and attention it must be possible to get a better mapping
and useability for the effects on Twitch!?

Amen brother!
7:01 AM, 13 Mar 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
DJSergius 1:43 AM - 12 September, 2014
Please Fix the fader effect pick-up.
It has been 1 YEAR!
All TWITCH owners are agreed that the current funtions of S-DJ 1.7 are still broken.
Fix the Twitch now please.
We are tired of waiting.
rev d 9:40 AM - 12 September, 2014
@DJSergius - agreed. Come on Serato, make us happy.
vasenpolvi 9:12 PM - 1 October, 2014
Speaking of the fader FX issue anniversary, I too break the silence. Been reading your mails regularly from the start. I guess every vote counts. A Serato guy (i.e. Karl) said in a recent fb clip they listen to the users and if there is enough of them they fix problems. In a way they just said we do not yet add up. Wake up the sleepers!!!

Please add my vote to fix these issues. I have moved to IOS re live performances but would love to return to twitch
viper9711 11:45 PM - 4 October, 2014
It's very sad that we've got no answer from Serato.
When will the fader pick up will be fixed??
andretti 6:27 PM - 5 October, 2014
Serato was doing a bad job, giving empty answers for a long time. Things seemed to be going in the right direction with a tech guy stepping in, but all is quiet again, and has been for a while..
andretti 6:33 PM - 5 October, 2014
Mea Culpa!

I haven't been around for a while, because of the lack of movement, but I see in other posts there is communication again..
rev d 7:26 PM - 5 October, 2014
"8:01 AM, 13 Mar 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity."

Sums it up really. Inactivity by serato!
andretti 7:29 PM - 5 October, 2014
There is some action over here: serato.com
andretti 8:03 PM - 5 October, 2014
Thanks Rev d for hopping over to the other thread.
Please anyone reading this thread take the time to support the suggested changes regarding fader FX and FX in general: serato.com
rev d 11:01 PM - 5 October, 2014
Thanks for pointing it out Andretti!
clearblu 10:13 AM - 7 October, 2014
I'm easy going and will support the most logical suggested mapping.
I'm just happy that I can mix using the touchstrips 😊
rev d 10:24 AM - 7 October, 2014
Clearblu please add your support to the other thread that is being monitored by Serato. It is here serato.com
sudo 8:24 AM - 20 December, 2014
I gave up and bought a Vestax VFX-1. Now I'm happy again.
andretti 12:05 PM - 20 December, 2014
Quote:
I gave up and bought a Vestax VFX-1. Now I'm happy again.

If they are just going forward without looking back the should say so :-(
sudo 12:34 PM - 20 December, 2014
What I've noticed (it's not just the Twitch) is that outright bugs are usually squashed eventually, but complaints about the mappings are never, ever fixed, no matter how much everyone agrees that the mappings are busted.

So yeah it looks kind of silly but I added an accessory controller for FX and now I at least have control over two FX slots. It's not ideal and it means carrying an additional thing, but it works. I also thought about getting the Akai LPD-8 but settled on the VFX-1, right tool for the right job.
rev d 12:37 PM - 20 December, 2014
Amazon reviews say the VFX doesn't work with DJ and is best with Twitch. Is that right?
rev d 12:38 PM - 20 December, 2014
Sorry I meant Itch not Twitch
sudo 12:40 PM - 20 December, 2014
Seems to work fine for me. Some of the labels aren't correct any more, and the 1/6 beat pattern doesn't work since DJ doesn't have it, but as long as both FX units are in single-FX mode it seems to be good. I rarely use chained FX anyway so it's good for my purposes.
andretti 11:47 PM - 20 December, 2014
Quote:
What I've noticed (it's not just the Twitch) is that outright bugs are usually squashed eventually.

The fader FX issue is a real and major BUG
Quote:
What I've noticed (it's not just the Twitch) is that outright bugs are usually squashed eventually.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

andretti 12:06 AM - 21 December, 2014
Oops, sorry (double postings because of lagging site)

Sudo: You buying the Vestax, a somewhat "limited" controller (2 layers of FX in stat off 3) reminded me of a thought I had a while ago about a remark Martin made.

Martin wrote quit blunt that there isn't going to be a mapping for Flip Twitch. It just doesn't fit.

While you could argue that a mapping might be realized, it might be awkward.

The thought that popped in my head at that time, was that they could have taken the same approach for Serato DJ on Twitch;

"3 layers of FX doesn't fit. The mapping will be awkward, We'll just map 2 layers of FX in multi FX mode.
sudo 2:11 PM - 26 December, 2014
Yeah they could've. It's funny to me that the incredibly weird squish-FX on the VCI-380 worked properly but the Twitch's fader FX pickup is completely missing. But anyway, I was most interested in something that actually works and a workflow that makes at least a little sense. So 2 FX it is.
andretti 5:18 PM - 26 December, 2014
2 fx is more than enough for me! At this time I would setlle for 1 fx workink properly
DJSergius 2:48 PM - 29 December, 2014
I only use two of the three FX because of the mapping issue. I just don't touch my faders for anything but volume while using DJ.
sudo 5:53 AM - 2 February, 2015
So I take it all back. After using the VFX for a while, it just doesn't work the way I would like it to. When DJ is in single-FX mode, the single effects are mapped to the channel faders. That means that even with the VFX hooked up, turning on single effects also activates the channel FX on the Twitch, making stuff like echo-cuts etc. pretty much impossible. Why the single effects are mapped to the fader FX I have no idea, since without the channel fader pickup they're basically useless. I'm thinking of just breaking down and getting a different controller, this situation is way too frustrating and ITCH is simply not stable enough for me to use at shows.
andretti 12:43 PM - 2 February, 2015
Thanks for sharing.
I was considering this, so it is usefull information.
Makes you wonder about Reloop Neon, Akai AFX, maybe a cheap Akai LPD8.
Are we let down by Serato even harder then Ithought we were??
Are we totally screwed by the fader FX bug??
andretti 1:43 PM - 5 February, 2015
Quote:

Makes you wonder about Reloop Neon, Akai AFX, maybe a cheap Akai LPD8.
Are we totally screwed by the fader FX bug??

Meaning, will the FX bug screw us over while using one of the above mentioned controllers??
andretti 5:03 AM - 2 March, 2015
Quote:
So I take it all back. After using the VFX for a while, it just doesn't work the way I would like it to. When DJ is in single-FX mode, the single effects are mapped to the channel faders. That means that even with the VFX hooked up, turning on single effects also activates the channel FX on the Twitch, making stuff like echo-cuts etc. pretty much impossible. Why the single effects are mapped to the fader FX I have no idea, since without the channel fader pickup they're basically useless. I'm thinking of just breaking down and getting a different controller, this situation is way too frustrating and ITCH is simply not stable enough for me to use at shows.

COME ON GUYS; THIS NEEDS TO BE ADRESSED!
andretti 1:57 PM - 16 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I have given up on Serato and Novation to sort thing out and like some others have bought an extra midi mappable controller. In my case the Akai LPD 8.

While it can be mapped quit easily, the mapping you make doesn't override the original mapping and some functions get double mapping.

Why is this very bad?

Because he original fader FX mapping is faulty and can't be turned off, the fault also plays up with an external controller, making an external controller just as useless as the Twitch itself for controlling FX.

Please make it so that user selected FX midi mapping overrides original FX midi mapping (like it is intended; right?)

A fader FX bug fix? I dare not ask
Mr Wilks 5:00 PM - 16 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have given up on Serato and Novation to sort thing out and like some others have bought an extra midi mappable controller. In my case the Akai LPD 8.

While it can be mapped quit easily, the mapping you make doesn't override the original mapping and some functions get double mapping.

Why is this very bad?

Because he original fader FX mapping is faulty and can't be turned off, the fault also plays up with an external controller, making an external controller just as useless as the Twitch itself for controlling FX.

Please make it so that user selected FX midi mapping overrides original FX midi mapping (like it is intended; right?)

A fader FX bug fix? I dare not ask

Agreed on the Fader FX bug. Hope thy get it fixed.
Dutch Bastard 1:06 PM - 26 July, 2015
They will fix nothing. They just want you to be an idiot and buy a new controller instead.
andretti 8:18 AM - 13 August, 2015
Some one has been at the mapping and from 1.7.6 we have a perfect working Beatjump!

Please let this person fis the bugs ASAP
andretti 8:18 AM - 13 August, 2015
Some one has been at the mapping and from 1.7.6 we have a perfect working Beatjump!

Please let this person fix the bugs ASAP
andretti 12:03 PM - 14 August, 2015
Ok so I know I'm talking to myself because nobody else seems to care, but why in the hell did Serato make the mapping of the FX so extensive that it did't fit and function anymore

How pro can you go? Even the Pioneer DDJ-SX has a simple FX mapping. So why should the Twitch be so damned difficult??

DDJ-SX mapping could be easily mapped on Twitch:

Single FX

ON (Button 1) Effect On/Off
ON (Button 2) Adjust FX Parameter 2
ON (Button 3) Adjust FX Parameter 4
FX KNOB 1 Adjust FX Parameter 1
FX KNOB 2 Adjust FX Parameter 3
FX KNOB 3 Adjust FX Parameter 5
TAP Tap to the desired FX tempo. To return to AUTO mode, press and hold
BEATS (knob) Adjust Beats Multiplier
FX 1/2 Assigns FX UNIT 1 or 2 to selected channel

Multi FX

ON (Button 1) Slot 1 Effect On/Off Shift Slot 1 Select Effect
ON (Button 2) Slot 2 Effect On/Off Shift Slot 2 Select Effect
ON (Button 3) Slot 3 Effect On/Off Shift Slot 3 Select Effect
FX KNOB 1 Adjust Slot 1 FX Parameter
FX KNOB 2 Adjust Slot 2 FX Parameter
FX KNOB 3 Adjust Slot 3 FX Parameter
TAP Tap to the desired FX tempo. To return to AUTO mode, press and hold Shift Toggle between Single/Multi FX Modes
FX 1/2 Assigns FX UNIT 1 or 2 to selected channel
BEATS Adjust Beats Multiplier
andretti 4:24 PM - 9 October, 2015
So Martin, will the ability to do your own mapping solve this issue coming with software update?
andretti 4:25 PM - 9 October, 2015
So Martin, will the ability to do your own mapping solve this issue coming with software update?
andretti 4:25 PM - 9 October, 2015
oops
Iván 10:25 AM - 13 October, 2015
andretti, with 1.8 beta you can remap controls, but you can't remap them with the shift key
andretti 6:43 PM - 13 October, 2015
Thanks Iván, already tried some different mappings, but my laptop is at El Capitain. So I hope all the bugs are caused by that... Will try on my iMac later.

Somewhat pleased about the developments, but also kind of annoyed. They could have told us they were working on this without spoiling the surprise!
Iván 8:11 AM - 14 October, 2015
andretti, remapping posibility is really great, but without shift is partially usable for me