Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ 1.5 - will it fix my pain! DDJ-SX pitch accuracy is poor!

Ultimate Patu 6:36 AM - 5 September, 2013
Are we going to move back to a higher level of accuracy in the pitch control for the DDJ-SX? I am a purist and don't use sync. If I wanted to use sinc I may as well move to Traktor. But the level of accuracy currently on Serato DJ for use on the DDJ-SX just isn't good enough!

Can you please tell me if this is on the feature plan otherwise I'm going to sell my mixer station and move to another product..

Thanks
pdidy 6:50 AM - 5 September, 2013
Holy shit, dude uses a controller and calls himself a purist.........
Ultimate Patu 6:55 AM - 5 September, 2013
Well...purist in terms of style....if you're a real purist you won't be using Serato now will you!! We all adapt but I don't like to use a button to do what a real DJ should master...beat matching!!
pdidy 7:04 AM - 5 September, 2013
Hold on .........am I being punked
Ultimate Patu 7:36 AM - 5 September, 2013
...missed the point..

Are we going to move back to a higher level of accuracy in the pitch control for the DDJ-SX? If I wanted to use sinc I may as well move to Traktor. But the level of accuracy currently on Serato DJ for use on the DDJ-SX just isn't good enough!

Can you please tell me if this is on the feature plan otherwise I'm going to have to sell my mixing station and move to another product..

Thanks
Ultimate Patu 8:50 AM - 5 September, 2013
I just want to add...

If I have two tracks playing at say 129.1BPM, they should stay in sync...they don't! I often have to move one track out to say 129.2 or 129.0 and even then I will have to continually nudge..

That's because on the DDJ-S1 or my old CDJ-1000's using scratch I could adjust to 1/100th BPM like 129.12, 129.14, 129.16...etc...not just 129.1

The accuracy on Serato DJ on the DDJ-SX is poor, this needs to be fixed!
nojretlas 11:47 AM - 5 September, 2013
never had an issue like you are describing with my SX
Ultimate Patu 11:51 AM - 5 September, 2013
Check out this thread bro...

serato.com
Shumi 3:09 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
never had an issue like you are describing with my SX

Me either. I would even say that the pitch precision is really, really good on the ddj sx. the software just does not show you exactly where you are. I am even able to beatmatch to 0.1 precision with a 50% pitch range
Ultimate Patu 3:15 PM - 5 September, 2013
OK, I see...so basically the precision is there it's just not 'displayed' accurately...and is rounded to the nearest 1/10th beat.

Having a more accurate display like on the S1 or the CDJ-2000 etc would be pretty handy though no??

From now on I will just use the BPM display as an indicator of being 'close' and do the rest be ear. Shame it doesn't give you a more accurate reading...

In some ways it's not a bad thing, means I have to do more traditional beat matching and if i want to sync electronically I'll use the sync button..

Cheers
Shumi 3:20 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
OK, I see...so basically the precision is there it's just not 'displayed' accurately...and is rounded to the nearest 1/10th beat.

Having a more accurate display like on the S1 or the CDJ-2000 etc would be pretty handy though no??

Jep. There are already many request on having two decimal points shown in the software since the beginning of serato dj, but still nothing happened.

Still, as you being a purist, I do not think beatmatching is going to be hard for you by ear.
Hope I've been a help,
Cheers, S.
Ultimate Patu 3:22 PM - 5 September, 2013
Yes big help thanks, it makes all the difference knowing this is just a display issue. Crazy they do not fix this...do you know if there is an enhancement thread I can vote for this?
pdidy 4:40 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
Yes big help thanks, it makes all the difference knowing this is just a display issue. Crazy they do not fix this...do you know if there is an enhancement thread I can vote for this?

yes sir, request it here

serato.com
Mark Quest 7:47 PM - 5 September, 2013
you can still adjust the pitch to 0.000, it only shows on screen the 0.1

If you were TRULY a REAL beat-matching purist, your ears would have known this. But you look at the screen & move your pitch adjuster so they both are the same, don't you? I.E. You're basically using 'sync' but without pressing a button lol

IUt's been covered many, many times before & each time Serato state what I did in my first paragraph..

purist... HA!
Sobriquet 8:10 PM - 5 September, 2013
Just do what an actual purist does: ignore the BPM display.
nojretlas 8:13 PM - 5 September, 2013
What BPM display?.....LoL
Ultimate Patu 8:13 AM - 6 September, 2013
OK so here's where I'm at...

As so many of my 'friends' here have suggested it's better of I just ignore the BPM display, that way I can beat match the 'purist' way...and that is fine...

But what I ask is this...what the hell is the point of a huge BPM counter on the screen which has no purpose!!??

The reason I like to have the BPM counter with +-.02% is because the two decimals help me to gauge how much I am moving the slider...not so I can use it to sync. If you have two tunes different BPMs you can't sync this way, you still have the beat match by ear...'the purist way'..

For those here who cut mix or only do short 16 beat mixes I can understand it not being a big deal but when you are mixing two tunes together for 2 minutes+ and are all the while running samples, adjusting levels etc the last thing you want to have to do as well is continually adjust tempo...

Simple...for those of us...and there are plenty...who like two decimals on the display, for what ever reason...just give it to us...please!
Ultimate Patu 8:16 AM - 6 September, 2013

As so many of my friends here have suggested it's better off I just ignore the BPM display, that way I can beat match the 'purist' way...and that is fine...

But what I ask is this...what the hell is the point of a huge BPM counter on the screen which has no purpose!!??

The reason I like to have the BPM counter with +-.02% is because the two decimals help me to gauge how much I am moving the slider...not so I can use it to sync. If you have two tunes different BPMs you can't sync this way, you still have to beat match by ear...'the purist way'..

For those here who cut mix or only do short 16 beat mixes I can understand it not being a big deal but when you are mixing two tunes together for 2 minutes+ and are all the while running samples, adjusting levels etc the last thing you want to have to do as well is continually adjust tempo...

Simple...for those of us...and there are plenty...who like two decimals on the display, for what ever reason...just give it to us...please!
Ultimate Patu 8:16 AM - 6 September, 2013

As so many of my friends here have suggested it's better off I just ignore the BPM display, that way I can beat match the 'purist' way...and that is fine...

The reason I like to have the BPM counter with +-.02% is because the two decimals help me to gauge how much I am moving the slider...not so I can use it to sync. If you have two tunes different BPMs you can't sync this way, you still have to beat match by ear...'the purist way'..

Pete Input 8:36 AM - 6 September, 2013
@ Ultimate Patu

Well... ITCH & VCI-380 (and other controllers too i think) has bigger problem. ITCH shows 2 decimal, BUT the bpm is drifting by itself, without even touching the controller. It doesnt drift much, but enough to make your mixing difficult. Just like someone is touching your pitch when you mix.
There is no way you can do long mixes with manually, without manual bending. Thats why i started to use sync and now i love it.
pdidy 3:43 PM - 6 September, 2013
@ Ultimate Patu
First you claim you're a "purist style dj" but now you NEED a bpm counter to assist you in blending two tracks together. you cant have it both ways......

Seriously dude, you are not a purist by any sense of the word and I take offense to you claiming it.

You can either learn how to beat match naturally and unassisted or.........if you don't have the required skill to do that, just go ahead and use that SYNC button.
Ultimate Patu 4:20 PM - 6 September, 2013
Dude, get a life.. Why do you care what I call myself or why? Clearly you've got too much time on your hands and all you have to do between smoking and learning to tie your shoes is crap all over these threads.. Your obviously a purist...the purist kind of pain in the ass...

Wayne Kerr
DjFuentes82 4:38 PM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
Dude, get a life.. Why do you care what I call myself or why? Clearly you've got too much time on your hands and all you have to do between smoking and learning to tie your shoes is crap all over these threads.. Your obviously a purist...the purist kind of pain in the ass...

Wayne Kerr

We wouldn't care what you call yourself but you're the one to put it out there. You call yourself a purist but yet you whine about decimal points on your BPM, it just doesn't add up. Back then (the "real purist") had to count the beat themselves to know the BPMs of EVERY song and even then had to make adjustments during the mix by ear.
Do the real Purist a favor and respect the meaning of the word.
BTW I'm not a purist by any stretch of the imagination.
pdidy 7:28 PM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:

Wayne Kerr

See now you're mad because you got called out but its your fault. Redirect your anger into practice and prove me wrong..........one day.
Asu 10:21 PM - 6 October, 2013
Quote:

Wayne Kerr

i don't get your issue...but i think you mean once the BPMs are equal,you expect everything to stay perfectly matched....but from what i've noticed...many tracks will drift a little so just pitch bend + or -,this is not really an issue even for a non purist like me lol...if you want perfect sync,Traktor has that....with serato you have to pitch bend here and there...it's not that big of a deal honestly,the whole 2 decimal point argument.
pdidy 10:31 PM - 6 October, 2013
for some strange reason I bout we'll hear from the alleged "purist" in this thread again....lol
Mark Quest 9:12 AM - 7 October, 2013
bahaha..

poor "ultimate patu" - couldn't find a single person who shares his 'purist' pain

:D
raequan 11:53 AM - 7 October, 2013
cant jesus pose cause i cant have perfect pitch. why why why..... but im a purist.
peddy 11:07 PM - 1 December, 2013
All this negativity to one indivisual who only asked a question, someone who was asking for help. So what if he's a purist or not. He only wanted assistance.

Ok here's a thing, Im not a purist, couldn't be if I tried because I have AD (Attention Deficit) which means I cant process audible information clearly, things are jumbled. Therefore I rely solely on visual means.

To me, DJing is all about the people who are dancing, they respond to the end result whether you are a purist by tradionally beat matching or using visual means or even syncing, they don't care as long as what you are playing is making em groove.
Bit like baking a cake I often say. Its all about the ingredients use and the order you put them in the bowl. Whether you use a wooden spoon to mix or an electrical blender is errevelent.
Just think a few here are being a little unfair, Pdiddy if you get offended by someone for something as trivia as that then its lucky you don't live here in the uk, you'd be offended everyday
pdidy 12:52 AM - 2 December, 2013
@ peddy, Its quite obvious to me that you are missing the point but let me try and help you understand.

Tomorrow I've decided to call myself a Animal rights activist but I like to fight dogs and wear fur coats. So what, It doesn't matter, right ?

It would be trivial of a true Animal rights activist to be offended by my claims according to your logic. Right ?
pdidy 1:21 AM - 2 December, 2013
By the way, Your apathetic position could possibly be directly related to your ADHD.
deejdave 3:10 AM - 2 December, 2013
Quote:
To me, DJing is all about the people who are dancing, they respond to the end result whether you are a purist by tradionally beat matching or using visual means or even syncing, they don't care as long as what you are playing is making em groove.
Bit like baking a cake I often say. Its all about the ingredients use and the order you put them in the bowl. Whether you use a wooden spoon to mix or an electrical blender is errevelent.
Just think a few here are being a little unfair, Pdiddy if you get offended by someone for something as trivia as that then its lucky you don't live here in the uk, you'd be offended everyday

It seems this guy did get tossed but hypocrisy is something that is hard to ignore especially when screamed from the roof tops so it would seem he only has himself to blame. DJing is what you say in some instances but at the same time is regarded as a little more to some. I don't see things as "by any means necessary" nor would I say it doesn't mater how you do things as long as you get it done. This (to me at least) just does not cut it. In recent times when everyone and their uncle is a DJ one finds themselves finding a need to separate from the herd and rising above. One using SYNC and all sorts of automation is able to achieve the same sound as someone who did everything by hand but I promise you this they will not feel the same. Additionally for many it has nothing to do with what the audience "sees" or simply fitting in. For many their sense of style and craft is what makes them who they are.

I may be a little "off" but to me what you are describing is the exact concept of "smoke & mirrors" or "dog & pony show" and not everyone operates this way. I am what I am and I refuse to be what someone expects me to be unless that expectation is me. Everyone has the right to be who they want to be and play how they want to play. Furthermore this isn't a "SYNC is evil" rant either. What happened here is simply one labeling themselves, proving by actions (in this case words) that they are far from what the labeled themselves and others calling him on it. What amplifies the issue is his claims of the pitch accuracy were way off which in a way discredited him entirely being there was no longer any relevance to his post.
Asu 10:07 AM - 2 December, 2013
Quote:
I may be a little "off" but to me what you are describing is the exact concept of "smoke & mirrors" or "dog & pony show" and not everyone operates this way

I do agree with the above statement...i also think new DJs need to understand just pushing sync doesn't mean you know what you're doing! you need to get the concept of syncing music before u push snyc...knowing a songs bpm range just by listening to it etc and being able to beat match...then u can graduate to sync if you wish.i personally use it to speed up sync time and do mash ups.

In short we can all have a million dollars in the bank but if you killed a couple of guys to get it...then it ain't the same.

My point is all DJs have to know the science of DJing...there after whether u manually beat match or SYNC,at least you'll know what you're really doing.

my 2 cents.
westbeach 3:10 PM - 2 December, 2013
So is it ok to use the sync button when you can beatmatch?

I dj'ed from the mid 80's until 2001 and only ever used technics & vinyl
I bought a controller last year to play around on and knew nothing of sync until i got it.
now i can waste time doing what i can do with the press of a button or i can enable sync and focus on mixing - whether that be drops and chops throughout the track or running 3 tracks together, the end result is it sounds much better with the sync because more is happening in the mix.

This is what matters to the punters, if you can sync it instantly you can spend the time saved being more creative and giving them a good show

Controllers are not technics decks they are the next stage of evolution, they can be used the same as vinyl was but to do that you are missing out on their potential as a creative tool to be exploited and bring in a new era of creativity.
My mixes sound much better than they ever did on vinyl not because my beat matching was off but because I'm not wasting time beatmatching.

I also use the electric start feature on my car rather than the purist starting handle - both do the same job but one is quicker and easier.

Claiming to manually beat match is ridiculous when there is a bpm display on the screen, what is so difficult about sliding the pitch until they match?
Difficult beat matching is when your in a club with bad monitors, an MC shouting over the tracks, records jumping during the mix
and old production methods that caused the bpm to constantly drift on both decks - You youngsters don't know how good you've got it!

But I agree the original poster is not purist as claimed,.
1. he should be using vinyl
2. he should not be looking at bpm displays
Asu 12:00 AM - 3 December, 2013
Quote:
Claiming to manually beat match is ridiculous when there is a bpm display on the screen, what is so difficult about sliding the pitch until they match?

ever heard of incorrect BPM displays? if you know the trade,you'll know what to do to properly sync the music.

there's 4 types of bpm displays...a correct one,a half bpm display,double bpm display and one that is totally wrong....for example a song with say 112 showing up as a 95 according to software.

If you have the ear/training...you'll know where that song belongs by instinct...thats my point.

I like you use sync to better my mixes/do things faster/effects.mashes etc etc but if you don't know what that button is really doing...then you're in trouble when u run into one of those wrong bpms.
deejdave 1:03 AM - 3 December, 2013
The VAST majority of people (I use people in place of the word DJ's here) who use SYNC plan their sets 100% down to the time of blend even so they seldom run into any issues like this ^^^. If the software doesn't (again I use the the word software in place of the word DJ here) create a good mix when coming up with the set then an alternate track will be selected. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with planning ahead and in fact this is good practice but there is a difference between preparing and this. You never know what kind if crowd you will walk into (for the most part) and you should be able to accommodate anything. Otherwise you either suck or you booked outside your area of expertise.

Again I am not bashing users of SYNC (those days are over for me) I just feel the skill has been become more of a bonus than a requirement. During the days of DJMe2's one funds themselves wanting to separate themselves from the crowd. I have had parties in which many of my "DJ" friends were attending. Most of them use Traktor and I will say almost ALL that I come across with Traktor DO NOT know how to mix manually. I mean as simple as beat matching is I've got these dudes who are getting plenty of bookings in NY absolutely dumbfounded when you take the TT's out. Literally like "how do you get them to match?" LMAO

Like Asu said it is good to know how to beat match because you never know and not for nothing since when is simply KNOWING considered a bad thing?
Asu 2:41 AM - 3 December, 2013
^^^ +1
westbeach 4:09 PM - 3 December, 2013
I agree knowing how to beatmatch is important but i dont think you should use it just to act as a purist - focus on what the crowd can hear not what they cant and make yourself stand out that way.
Thats what promoters care about and that will get you the better gigs
deejdave 9:55 PM - 3 December, 2013
ahhhh yes the promoters. The guys who ask "how many people can you bring in?" you answer "around 30......................"You got the GIG!" he says. what he neglects to ask is "do you know what you're doing" and you also neglect to tell him you play Polka.
Rhadesh 8:49 AM - 31 January, 2014
Quote:
Are we going to move back to a higher level of accuracy in the pitch control for the DDJ-SX? I am a purist and don't use sync. If I wanted to use sinc I may as well move to Traktor. But the level of accuracy currently on Serato DJ for use on the DDJ-SX just isn't good enough!

Can you please tell me if this is on the feature plan otherwise I'm going to sell my mixer station and move to another product..

Thanks

+++++++1
Asu 1:53 PM - 31 January, 2014
man you guys realise using sync is the same as beatmatching if you already know how to do it? this purist stuff doesn't fly anymore....it's the guys that can't beatmatch we tell not to jump to using sync until they learn the basics.

If you can beatmatching,using sync saves you time...some of the top DJs in the world are using it with Traktor and now Serato DJ.

Pitch bend and stop whining...Rhadesh is on every thread complaining about the same thing.

I use the SX every weekend and i don't see what you guys are complaining about.
Rhadesh 3:46 PM - 31 January, 2014
Quote:
man you guys realise using sync is the same as beatmatching if you already know how to do it? this purist stuff doesn't fly anymore....it's the guys that can't beatmatch we tell not to jump to using sync until they learn the basics.

If you can beatmatching,using sync saves you time...some of the top DJs in the world are using it with Traktor and now Serato DJ.

Pitch bend and stop whining...Rhadesh is on every thread complaining about the same thing.

I use the SX every weekend and i don't see what you guys are complaining about.

If you want to use sync use it ..... but I am learning to beatmach by ear so......
I want to learn like pioneer CDJ's not like 1200 turntables.......
And if u don't see what we are complaining keep your mouth close and stop comment thing that doesn't bother you......
deejdave 11:37 PM - 31 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

+++++++1

www.djtechtools.com COMING SOON to a Serato Near YOU!!
TonyOn 4:53 AM - 4 February, 2014
Have the same problem, only +/- 0.1 pitch on my DDJ-SX since first versions. SSL3 with Pioneer 1000 gives me +/- 0.05 and even 0.02 pitch accuracy.

SDJ bpm issue: run first track (128 bpm original) on 0.00 pitch, then run second track (127 bpm original) on +0.7 (sdj will shows now 128). After a time beats will not match (second track plays slower). In the other case set second track to +0.8 (sdj will shows something like 128.1), and then second track plays faster than first one.

Note that all used tracks are officially purchased AIFFs. Is it really ok for you all?
kardbored 2:28 PM - 27 September, 2014
Quote:

...After a time beats will not match ...

This, right here, is the ONLY thing you need to know about this situation. It is a SERIOUS design flaw and those of you touting 'no big deal' obviously don't do long extended mixes. What is the point of using digital when the tuning is so course you can't even keep a beat matched??!?
kardbored 4:20 PM - 27 September, 2014
It looks like my issue was with my unit specifically, wish this issue was a bit more clear on the forums, there's so many threads about it and none of them have facts, they're all just DJs talking smack on each other. C'est la vie
kardbored 4:21 PM - 27 September, 2014
Quote:
@ peddy, Its quite obvious to me that you are missing the point but let me try and help you understand.

Tomorrow I've decided to call myself a Animal rights activist but I like to fight dogs and wear fur coats. So what, It doesn't matter, right ?

It would be trivial of a true Animal rights activist to be offended by my claims according to your logic. Right ?

I found your responses especially UNhelpful.
deejdave 4:29 PM - 27 September, 2014
I think it is pretty basic no? If you have your beat grids set properly then things will be SYNCED (If you use SYNC) and stay that way. Otherwise this boils down to a smaller decimal display of said pitch value. The Pitch is fine as is just needs to be displayed accordingly.
Quote:
I found your responses especially UNhelpful.

I think pdidy was clearing the airwaves to keep things leveled and factual. I see nothing wrong with trying to right some wrongs. Opinions are not always welcomed but they are ALWAYS allowed. This is the concept of a public forum. Even now you may take my correcting as insulting but I promise it is NOT intended that way. Furthermore pdidy is personally my go-to guy for PA/speaker related matters and has always been helpful to me.

IMO his responses are part of his personality and makes him all the more pleasant to speak with.

I challenge you to ask him a question and see if he does not attempt to help in any way.
kardbored 5:02 PM - 27 September, 2014
Fair enough, just as someone new to Serato who is used to CDJs, I couldn't believe how big of a difference there was in the drifting on my SX, I tested on my friends SX and it looks like it may in fact be my unit specifically. It is weird how many people have posted about this same issue and it's mostly been met with hostility and ridicule for some reason.

There are clearly many users who feel that the +-6% is much less prone to drifting, and I for one am not convinced otherwise, and I was simply pointing out that the replies in this thread did not help clarify the issue for me at all.

Thanks for your mature, thoughtful response though. It was refreshing.
kardbored 5:05 PM - 27 September, 2014
I actually was guilty of a highly emotional response in another thread, simply because it was baffling how many users were just insulting the OP instead of addressing the actual issue; how big of a difference is 6% vs 8% when you're not using sync and you want the least amount of drift? I still haven't found an answer to that question, but I've given up. I only wish I could delete my previous posts, some of the hate filled trash talking on these threads is enough to boil the blood.
kardbored 5:13 PM - 27 September, 2014
If anyone call tell me with full confidence that the 8% isn't what's causing the issue (drifting more than CDJ2000) that would maybe save other people the time and anguish I just suffered combing through these forums for that info.
kardbored 5:20 PM - 27 September, 2014
Just found this which should be stickied to EVERY thread about this issue:

serato.com
kardbored 5:24 PM - 27 September, 2014
AND this one!!! Basically the OP of this thread brought up a 'KNOWN BUG' and got ridiculed. I rest my case:

serato.com
deejdave 6:05 PM - 27 September, 2014
I see no ridiculing of any kind. Maybe I am just missing it. The two links provided are from the same thread though. I am guessing this was a link fail?

It did however answer the question you were looking for though I would guess correct?

It seems as stated earlier to be an issue of displaying more detailed pitch.