Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Pitch Range 6%

Shumi 9:22 PM - 7 November, 2012
I would like to have the ability to set the pitch range to 6%.

I know, some might say that 8% on the pitch range is club standart, but I personally prefer to mix with a pitch range of 6%, it's just more accurate and easier to beatmatch for me!

What are your opinions, guys?
Chris Beckler 10:14 PM - 7 November, 2012
I would say overkill for the range the pitch-fader has. If it was a few cm's shorter, then I would understand. But the travel for 8% up and down should really be enough.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:30 AM - 8 November, 2012
On the vci 380 the pitch control is tiny 6% pitch would be awesome.

So on that count

+1
[O/][iii][O/] 3:09 PM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:

I know, some might say that 8% on the pitch range is club standart, but I personally prefer to mix with a pitch range of 6%, it's just more accurate and easier to beatmatch for me!

I too wish the pitch range had 6% as an option. Really think the options should mirror that of CDJs for consistency.

Pioneer CDJ is 6%/10%/16%/Wide
Pioneer DDJ-SX is 8%/16%/50%

No idea why they'd make any different TBH.
Shumi 5:08 PM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:
I too wish the pitch range had 6% as an option. Really think the options should mirror that of CDJs for consistency.

Exactly my thoughts. I mix with 6% why using cdj's, there is no reason why i shouldn't be able to do that on the sx.
Lightning 10:56 PM - 8 November, 2012
+1, nice to have some fine control
daylag 7:49 AM - 9 November, 2012
+1

The DDJ-S1 had a Tempo Range of ±6%/±10%/±16%/±100%, no idea why it was changed.
ivan zilch 10:04 AM - 9 November, 2012
+1
I am used to the 6 percent range on the pioneer cdjs I think it makes sense to include it as an option!

Oh and 2 decimal place pitch indicator would be great to know where exactly we are on the hardware pitch slider at the moment it shows + or - 1.0 for example, would be great if we can see two decimal please Eg. 1.08 like in pio cdjs
AristotleDJ 7:27 AM - 13 November, 2012
+1 for normal cdj pitch
dj-freestyle 6:32 PM - 13 November, 2012
Funny part is if you look on pioneer website for ddj they show 6% as a option

pioneerdj.com
[O/][iii][O/] 6:37 PM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
Funny part is if you look on pioneer website for ddj they show 6% as a option

pioneerdj.com

More of that tight "partnership" between the software and hardware developers.
dj-freestyle 6:41 PM - 13 November, 2012
They dont even show 8% as a option. lol lol
DJ Dynamight 3:24 AM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

+10000

DJ Dynamight 3:25 AM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

quote fail

+10000
dj_eddie_gr 1:47 PM - 14 November, 2012
+1
Nogasi 11:55 AM - 18 November, 2012
Having a 6% and 4% we will have greater precision on the pitch, he is very sensitive and is more difficult to match the mixtures.
Please, this is very important for DJs who do not use the sync.
Thank you.
phatbob 12:27 PM - 18 November, 2012
I usually use sync, but I spent 5 hours last night playing back-to-back with a guy on CDJs last night, and at no point did I find the resolution of the SX lacking.

How many of you, I wonder, are hung up on the numbers, and not what you actually hear and feel?
Shumi 2:17 PM - 18 November, 2012
Quote:
How many of you, I wonder, are hung up on the numbers, and not what you actually hear and feel?

Thing is, we do hear and feel, but we hear and feel differently every time we switch from using or controller to cdj's, with different pitch ranges it's not as intuitive!
[O/][iii][O/] 2:41 PM - 18 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Thing is, we do hear and feel, but we hear and feel differently every time we switch from using or controller to cdj's, with different pitch ranges it's not as intuitive!

Yep, which is precisely why it should mirror their very own product they are trying to emulate, CDJs with 6%/10%/16%/Wide settings.
Nogasi 12:22 AM - 19 November, 2012
Quote:
<font><font>

Yo suelo usar la sincronización, pero yo pasamos 5 horas anoche jugando back-to-back con un chico en CDJs anoche, y en ningún momento me parece la resolución de la SX falta. </font><font>
¿Cuántos de ustedes, me pregunto, se cuelgan arriba en los números, y no lo que realmente oír y sentir?
</font></font>
<font></font>

Those numbers like the sync is forbidden for me.
With 8% If you lack resolution, with 6% will be much better.
phatbob 1:22 AM - 19 November, 2012
Quote:

You're right. When I swap between Technics and CDJs, I find beatmixing totally unintuitive with their differing pitch ranges. If only Pioneer had stuck with 8% on their CDJs, like the Technics 1200s they were trying to emulate.
BleepCore 6:15 PM - 20 November, 2012
+1 for a 6% option (but not necessarily removing 8%)

380 pitch sliders are a bit short and inaccurate
Clapperz 9:00 PM - 20 November, 2012
Maybe a dumb question but how does one change the pitch on this thing?
dj-freestyle 9:03 PM - 20 November, 2012
shift and temp range give you 8 , 16, 50
Clapperz 5:58 AM - 21 November, 2012
Thanks
Chris Beckler 6:49 AM - 21 November, 2012
What are the ranges of adjustment for the tempo?The range can be selected from one of the following: ±6%, ±10%, ±16% and ±50%

At least the website still isn't updated. I do wish also for WIDE pitch-range. it's nice to play with with very short loops.
[O/][iii][O/] 3:32 PM - 21 November, 2012
Quote:
What are the ranges of adjustment for the tempo?

Quote:
Coro 12:41 AM - 26 November, 2012
+1 would like the CDJ pitch options.
WarpNote 8:25 AM - 26 November, 2012
Personally, I really like the 8%, although I wouldn't mind they added 6% or even 4%.
As long as they keep 8% as an option, I'm all for adding smaller increments.
Bryan Stormer 2:29 PM - 28 November, 2012
And please add a Wide pitch too !
I like to use it for some effects...
phatbob 6:06 PM - 28 November, 2012
You can already go well beyond 100% by using the shift key.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:27 PM - 28 November, 2012
Ya but thats a massive pain in the ass! No where near the controll of wide 100%
RUCHRIS 11:27 PM - 8 December, 2012
I prefer the 10 pitch control and just realize this version doesn't allow it. Is there anything I can do to get a 10?
Pete Input 11:00 AM - 9 December, 2012
+1
Simon Love Carter 1:14 AM - 10 December, 2012
yeahhhhhhh! I want 6% control too! (8% it's a way less sensible)
Boombox 1:42 PM - 12 December, 2012
+1 for 6% pitch adjusment
[O/][iii][O/] 3:21 PM - 12 December, 2012
6%/10%/16%/Wide
6%/10%/16%/Wide
6%/10%/16%/Wide
6%/10%/16%/Wide
6%/10%/16%/Wide
6%/10%/16%/Wide
6%/10%/16%/Wide
6%/10%/16%/Wide
merobwoy 5:01 AM - 15 December, 2012
how about 6%/8%/10%/16%/Wide....... all of this can be done in the software update, and every one will be happy but like the CDJ's default at 10% lol
ivan zilch 9:51 AM - 15 December, 2012
what about user defined pitch range? like in traktor you can write any value you want

(if you want 6% you can, 12% can, whatever really)
Simon Love Carter 3:02 AM - 17 December, 2012
+1 and double decimal on bpm screen too.
AristotleDJ 9:36 PM - 19 January, 2013
+111
SH3PARD 12:41 AM - 20 January, 2013
+1
Simon Love Carter 11:06 AM - 25 January, 2013
6% 8% 10% 16% 50% 100%
SH3PARD 11:11 AM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:
6% 8% 10% 16% 50% 100%

logically
Shumi 6:37 PM - 25 January, 2013
I would prefer 6%/10%/16%/Wide, everything else would be an overkill
CandC540 5:50 AM - 31 January, 2013
+1 for user defined pitch.
SH3PARD 7:34 AM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:
+1 for user defined pitch.

+1
ivan zilch 1:41 PM - 1 February, 2013
Man I've been waiting since 1st of November for 6 percent pitch range

Come ooon please let us have it!
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:14 PM - 1 February, 2013
I think serato only listen to requests by email. Because they do fix change add stuff saying they did it by big demand yet you dont see much forum posts about it so maybe everyony here should ask serato for that 6% pitch and give a reason why to support@serato.com

At least then with the forum and e.mails they might just add it.
ivan zilch 10:40 AM - 14 February, 2013
did anyone email them? i want to hear some sort of news that this is gonna be implemented in the next update and hopefully not too long from now
Ultimate Patu 8:52 PM - 4 September, 2013
OK seriously now...I just switched out my DDJ-S1 for the DDJ-SX because I wanted the inputs and also the booth out...that's the only reason...oh and the platters seem nicer on the SX but I'm going to have to go back. Pitch does not stay in sync. The increments are jsut too small here guys... Very annoying!
Ultimate Patu 8:19 AM - 6 September, 2013
Sorry, I should correct...

The incremental change is accurate just the display does not show this..

Please add two decimal places to the BPM display!

Thanks
djgroove80 10:23 PM - 19 November, 2013
I always mixed with 6% on my cdj's (1000's and 2000's).

I allows me to make smoother and tighter mixings.

I've sent a mail to Serato asking to include this 6% tempo range option on a next firmware update and they told me if they get more people asking for this they will consider doing it.

So please guys, I know I'm not an isolated case and there are a lot of us that would like to have this option on serato, please leave your support here on this thread and let them know you're out there.

Our union will give us enough voice to have a change regarding to this matter.

Please also send your concerns about this to serato.

support@serato.com

Kind regards,

Tiago Almeida, Portugal
Simon Love Carter 11:50 PM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
I always mixed with 6% on my cdj's (1000's and 2000's).

I allows me to make smoother and tighter mixings.

I've sent a mail to Serato asking to include this 6% tempo range option on a next firmware update and they told me if they get more people asking for this they will consider doing it.

So please guys, I know I'm not an isolated case and there are a lot of us that would like to have this option on serato, please leave your support here on this thread and let them know you're out there.

Our union will give us enough voice to have a change regarding to this matter.

Please also send your concerns about this to serato.

support@serato.com

Kind regards,

Tiago Almeida, Portugal

Hi Tiago. I'm Simon from Sardinia! I'm doing it too! Just sent an email with my concerns which are so small right now by the way!
6% pitch range, double decimal BPM display, brighter colour for loop range selector and auto switch off for slip function when you change tune on a deck. C'mon guys help us all!
Shumi 5:14 PM - 24 November, 2013
Quote:

Even more people? This is one of the biggest request already!
Patrick Dee 7:26 PM - 24 November, 2013
+1
Kristian Valdini 4:12 PM - 25 November, 2013
+1

K
nicolascav 11:38 AM - 27 November, 2013
+1!
Mister Mac 5:39 PM - 27 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

+1
DJKentaa 11:55 PM - 3 December, 2013
+1
eSanto 8:50 PM - 27 December, 2013
Yes please add 6% range. Pitch faders on DDJ SR are short, need smaller range to dial things in.

I'd really like to see 2 decimal places as well. I understand it the resolution is changing 1/100th in the background, but it would be nice to see that visually!
massimoruiz 3:01 PM - 16 January, 2014
+1
antwin73 7:19 PM - 16 January, 2014
+1
absolutely needed
Rhadesh 11:36 AM - 17 January, 2014
+++1

6% pitch range is a "must have"........
Rhadesh 5:05 PM - 17 January, 2014
Quote:

it seems that Serato team doesn't listen to this ..........
I saw so many comments about this, since 2012, come on..... just put the 6% pitch, I think this is not a big deal for you (Serato) to implement.......
People are waiting for this for so long.........

PS: All the best systems have it..........
since 2012 it's a shame.........
Rhadesh 8:46 AM - 23 January, 2014
6% pitch please.....
Rhadesh 8:49 AM - 23 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Even more people? This is one of the biggest request already!

shame... (Serato)
dj-freestyle 7:11 PM - 23 January, 2014
wodner if adding pitch n time with give you what ever percentage you want?
Rhadesh 9:10 AM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
wodner if adding pitch n time with give you what ever percentage you want?

+1
Patrick Dee 5:20 PM - 27 January, 2014
I ask also myself if you can change in pitch and time the percentage...on the new video from Serato you just see the test with 100%...
Simon Love Carter 12:02 AM - 29 January, 2014
6% option and everybody will be happy!!! Lika pharrell says in his song!!
Chris1981 7:32 AM - 31 January, 2014
+1 here and emailed
dj-freestyle 4:14 PM - 1 February, 2014
Your getting a plugin with 1.6 called pitch n time and you will get all the pitch range you want. no worries.
WarpNote 5:02 PM - 2 February, 2014
Where did you read the part about "...all the pitch range you want." ?
jay dyson 8:31 PM - 2 February, 2014
Yeah but why should it be a plugin, why not just a simple feature? It's not exactly a difficult thing to add.

+1 for 6% and 4%
Chris1981 6:04 AM - 4 February, 2014
Does pitch and time do this?
WarpNote 9:28 AM - 4 February, 2014
PnT DJ is "only" the key algorithm, ranges are the same.
dj-freestyle 6:40 PM - 4 February, 2014
ya got that. didtn unerstand it completely till now. thanks warp needed to do research. i do like how much better pitch n time helps with vocals. very nice.
mixjockey 1:06 PM - 15 February, 2014
For me it seems to be more or less a matter of the resolution and length of the hardware fader that you use. (I gues we are talking about controllers here?!). - If the (hardware) pitch controller is long enough and has a good resolution, then you should be able to pitch accurately in a +/- 6% range, while the settings in DJ are set to +/- 8%.

Beyond that I don´t get why somebody would need accurate pitch within Serato-DJ as you can sync by the click of a button.

Me personally I think of a stanton ST-150II when it comes to manual sync; or a nice pioneer CD Player with Timecode CD.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I simply don´t get the actual need behind your suggestion.
jay dyson 2:05 PM - 15 February, 2014
Because some people like to tempo match by ear, it's a learnt skill that some people want to use because that's the way they do it.
Rhadesh 8:29 AM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:
Because some people like to tempo match by ear, it's a learnt skill that some people want to use because that's the way they do it.

+++1
Sensoma 7:47 PM - 17 February, 2014
I design hardware. The basic problem here is that we have limited resolution on the pitch fader -- this has nothing to do with how physically long the fader is... if we're using basic MIDI we have only 128 "steps" on the pitch fader no matter how long or short the throw is.

If your range is +/- 8% then that is a total range of 16%, divided into 128 steps, which means each step is going to be .125%. This is an extreme example, it looks like the actual resolution of the pitch fader (at least on my VCI-380) is a little higher, at least 8 bits :) but still noticeably coarse.

As long as you are digitizing the position of the fader, then the only way to get finer resolution is to use a smaller overall range.

This is why you can't make a fair comparison to a Technics pitch fader at +/-8, it's not using such a small number of steps so you can really get fine control, in a way you can't on most DJ controllers.

I also write code, and I seriously doubt there is any technical difficulty in adding this request. If it is not being done, there's either a political reason or somebody just dropped the ball... for a few years...

come on guys, where's the love? if a feature request can get this many posts over multiple years and it still isn't implemented, is there any hope?
Patrick Dee 8:40 PM - 17 February, 2014
I think it is a software thing. I have had the VCI 400 and the pitchfader signal was 14bit midi. I had Traktor and the pitch resolution was at the beginning not as expected. I had to modify the standard mapping and Traktor needed two signals to understand the 14bit message. After that I had a much better pitch resolution. I think we should have the feature to modify such things or to map the pitch slider to a knob...I have the VCI 380 and with Traktor I have better pitch resolutions or can map finer pitch increments....
jay dyson 12:15 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
I design hardware. The basic problem here is that we have limited resolution on the pitch fader -- this has nothing to do with how physically long the fader is... if we're using basic MIDI we have only 128 "steps" on the pitch fader no matter how long or short the throw is.

If your range is +/- 8% then that is a total range of 16%, divided into 128 steps, which means each step is going to be .125%. This is an extreme example, it looks like the actual resolution of the pitch fader (at least on my VCI-380) is a little higher, at least 8 bits :) but still noticeably coarse.

As long as you are digitizing the position of the fader, then the only way to get finer resolution is to use a smaller overall range.

This is why you can't make a fair comparison to a Technics pitch fader at +/-8, it's not using such a small number of steps so you can really get fine control, in a way you can't on most DJ controllers.

I also write code, and I seriously doubt there is any technical difficulty in adding this request. If it is not being done, there's either a political reason or somebody just dropped the ball... for a few years...

come on guys, where's the love? if a feature request can get this many posts over multiple years and it still isn't implemented, is there any hope?

Actually, you can get 14bits but it depends whether the controller itself is capable, a lot (probably all) of the cheaper controllers are using standard 7bit midi, anything other than that is using nrpns and pairs of 7bit bytes to make 14bit numbers which gives a considerably better resolution.

We've paid the same money for the software, we should get the same control opportunities as anyone else, so it would be useful if pitch controls could be midi mapped, along with volume faders, it would also be useful if serato would release more details about exactly what data values the various data-types accept.
Sensoma 4:07 AM - 18 February, 2014
even with 14-bit MIDI you are at the mercy of the resolution of the Analog-to-Digital Conversion that is scanning your fader... I would wager the ADC resolution is 12 bits at the most, for the majority of controls out there.

That part of the equation is not Serato's fault, of course! :)
Rhadesh 9:30 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:

+++++1

Come on Serato..... what is your problem with this???????
jay dyson 12:47 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
even with 14-bit MIDI you are at the mercy of the resolution of the Analog-to-Digital Conversion that is scanning your fader... I would wager the ADC resolution is 12 bits at the most, for the majority of controls out there.

you can check :) If you can get 7F,7F out of the top or bottom end of the fader, then it's 14 bits :)

And yeah, that parts not serato's fault, I'm not blaming them for limitations in the hardware but I am blaming them for not sorting it out for us in software, that is entirely under their control, they could allow us to map pitch control to a pair of buttons and give us 0.001% resolution :)
Sensoma 3:46 AM - 3 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

you can check :) If you can get 7F,7F out of the top or bottom end of the fader, then it's 14 bits :)

Nay, that's just the format of the output, not the effective resolution you actually get.
What I'm saying is that as you move the fader you won't see:
7F 7F
7F 7E
7F 7D
7F 02
7F 01
meaning you don't get every bit of that 14-bit resolution. This is down to the resolution of the input that is converting your analog fader into a digital value. This is usually less than 14 bits on most prosumer audio gear; 12 bits is typical.

Sorry for shop talk :)
jay dyson 10:05 PM - 23 May, 2014
agreed, behringer advertise 14bit midi for the pitch fader but it's actually 10bits left shifted by 4bits, pretty sad. As you say, they only need 12bits max.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 2:53 PM - 27 May, 2014
One reason I support the +- 6 range is that a sample playing 6% faster has it's pitch raised one half-step. Same for -6% playing one half-step down.
So, +1 for +- 6%, 12%, 30%, ect.
Lee-E 11:11 PM - 31 May, 2014
I've bought the DDJ SZ and really miss having 6% pitch adjustments I had on my cdjs.
Please add this!
Rhadesh 9:17 AM - 13 June, 2014
Two years to solve this ..... and nothing so far. shame you SERATO .......
kardbored 5:12 AM - 27 September, 2014
I was poised to buy a DDJ SZ and I have to say this is a deal breaker for me, how can this still be an issue? This would be like XBox One only having 3 buttons on the paddle. The whole point of DJing is being able to mix two songs (which might not be compatibile). If I can't mix song A and song B together because I don't have fine enough control over the pitch, it becomes a useless piece of 'DJ' equipment. It blows my mind that this hasn't been addressed.

If this isn't added, I'm going to buy CDJs instead, that is money Serato is losing just because they aren't implementing a simple and widely requested feature. I don't get it.

+1,000,000 for +/-6%

Email sent.
kardbored 5:26 AM - 27 September, 2014
Quote:
One reason I support the +- 6 range is that a sample playing 6% faster has it's pitch raised one half-step. Same for -6% playing one half-step down.
So, +1 for +- 6%, 12%, 30%, ect.

forgot to mention this as well, sooooo integral! I've never seen this big of a glaring design flaw on what could otherwise be the ferarri of DJ controller families
lexloofah 2:13 PM - 28 September, 2014
Serato really needs to pay attention to their customers. After not having such a simple request filled after all these years and comments, I have come to the conclusion they are 'masking' far more fundamental problems with the software by not giving us a fine pitch control, 2decimal points on pitch/BPM etc.
DJHessler 11:38 AM - 29 September, 2014
Yes I want +-6% on my pitch Please :-)
singhka 1:40 PM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:
I was poised to buy a DDJ SZ and I have to say this is a deal breaker for me, how can this still be an issue? This would be like XBox One only having 3 buttons on the paddle. The whole point of DJing is being able to mix two songs (which might not be compatibile). If I can't mix song A and song B together because I don't have fine enough control over the pitch, it becomes a useless piece of 'DJ' equipment. It blows my mind that this hasn't been addressed.

If this isn't added, I'm going to buy CDJs instead, that is money Serato is losing just because they aren't implementing a simple and widely requested feature. I don't get it.

+1,000,000 for +/-6%

Email sent.

dont by the sz lol, i thought it might have the accuracy, it doesnt. im still trying to get rid of and sell mine
dj-freestyle 4:24 PM - 29 September, 2014
Its extremely accurate so not sure what he is talking about above. love mine to death.
singhka 4:00 AM - 6 October, 2014
all the other controls and platters are very accurate, pitch isnt, tried now on 2 seperate sz units using different software.
dj-freestyle 7:49 PM - 6 October, 2014
Use mine on shows every weekend and no issues so for 4 months now. been a beast
938MyDJ 6:46 AM - 25 November, 2014
+1

I have scrolled up and down twice and NO Serato rep on this thread.

Or did I scrolled too fast?

SZ is a mimic of the 2 CDJs and a mixer so it deserves to have this.
Mr Wilks 3:49 AM - 27 November, 2014
+1

They are aware of the requests. There was a thread recently where it was mentioned by someone at Serato that a 6% could be considered.

I'll try and find it. It would be handy as I switch between CDJs @6%.
loafingchard 3:27 PM - 4 November, 2015
+1

Let's be seeing +-4% and +-6% PLEEEAAAASSE ,

Pretty please.

Please hear your loyal fan base.

Please.
Rhadesh 3:32 PM - 4 November, 2015
This is here since 2012..... I don't think they are listening or care about this.....
loafingchard 11:10 AM - 9 November, 2015
Yes Rhadesh , I emailed the good people at Serato and they asked me to post in the features forum , so I'm back, on a crusade. Perhaps I'm just chasing my tail !

Hi Team

I love your sdj product but having +-8% as the finest pitch control option is simply not fine enough, especially when a controller only has a 6cm long pitch fader . I don't use sync and would be much better served if the pitch fader range could be adjusted to +-4% and/or +-6% . Better still fully user selectable like traktor.

This is a major step back when I got the vci 380 after using the 300 for some time.

Many djs have asked you for this optionality, it's all over your forums and the wider net . Please hear our plea .

Much love.
BrendanClay 11:17 PM - 2 December, 2015
Alright, guys, after a bit of back-and-forth with Serato support over Twitter this morning, it has been suggested by them that, in an effort to expedite the "two decimal points for pitch display" update into production, we should rally support around a thread, "bump it up" and increase its visibility.

If this is still a feature that you're looking for — and it should be, given that Serato DJ doesn't support it yet — please jump into my thread, post your desire — at serato.com — and let's get this happening.

The reason I suggest the use my thread over this one, is that my thread specifically details the issue from the get-go, rather than it being mentioned in other threads as a side-discussion.

For your reference, you can view the Twitter conversation here: twitter.com

Just to avoid any confusion here, as it's commonly believed that this request relates to two-decimal place BPM display — which is already available — the pitch reading that should have two decimal places displayed, is shown here: www.brendanclay.com

Many thanks, in advance.

Let's make this happen!