Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Connecting to another mixer

Jacob dutton 10:00 PM - 2 October, 2008
Hi Guys,

So I got a replacement VCI, took it to the club im playing at tomorrow night to sound check everything and plugged it into an external mixer because that's where the speaker rig is connected to.

I connected it using the phono leads into the input in the allen and heath mixer that the club use, the sound though had far too much bass and distortion and just didnt sound right. Am I using the wrong leads or something? How can I fix this?

Jacob
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 10:38 PM - 2 October, 2008
Hi Jacob,

Good to hear you got a replacement. Are you plugging into a line source on the Allen and Heath mixer? Is there any visual representation of distortion, i.e. meters in the red?
Jacob dutton 11:01 PM - 2 October, 2008
Loads of meters in the red! Im plugging into an allen and heath Xone 62. I plugged into the L and R phono from the master output at the back of the vci 300. Thanks for a quick response!
nik39 11:12 PM - 2 October, 2008
Okay, this one disqualifies you as a DJ who gets "thousands" for his gigs (which you claim you lost due to the VCI crashing), and being a DJ at a professional level.

DJ Basics 101, lesson 1:

Connect Line level output to Line level input.
Connect Phone level output to Phone level input.

Do not mix. (Just to avoid any confusion: I am not talking about automix, I am talking about mixing line and phono level).
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 12:55 AM - 3 October, 2008
Hi Jacob,

Go to page 12 of the Allen and Heath manual you pasted in the other thread, and follow the directions for connecting a CD player. Its the same concept. :)

antonborisov 2:55 PM - 3 October, 2008
Btw, A&H 62 has 1/4 TRS inputs on the first two channels wich usually does not have anything plugged in.
terrible1fi 4:07 PM - 3 October, 2008
watch your gains on your unit. make sure they are not in the red otherwise you will get horrible clipping
rob solo 8:25 PM - 3 October, 2008
'I connected it using the phono leads '
'Okay, this one disqualifies you as a DJ who gets "thousands" for his gigs '

I agree, this guy _has_ to be a troll.

It's bad enough to say you lost thousands (of pounds even, not dollars) from 'cancelled gigs' because your vci 300 wasn't working....which begs the question that others have asked, 'Just how the hell were you DJing before?' Or did you get offered thousands to DJ solely because you owned a vci 300? If so, you are a lucky guy.

But now (as a DJ who gets paid thousands of pounds, so you think you'd know a thing or two about DJing) you plug it into the phono input of the mixer and wonder why it is distorted?

you as dj = epicfail.
northstar 5:24 AM - 9 October, 2008
i agree troll i now i cant spell but shizz like u couldnt do your gig's on tables or even cdjs learn how 2 play on tables then call your self a dj please some of us had 2 work to get thier RESPECT.... thax....i got this controller so i would hav less wait to travel with less wait....

you as dj = epicfail.