Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Itch unit crashing

itchydj 5:25 AM - 26 September, 2008
i got itch yesterday and it has crashed on me 2x already. both times happened when i touched the right platter... not even scratching, just scrolling the track. the unit freezes and causes the cue and start button lights to turn permanently. no audio comes out nor am i able to manipulate the track anymore. also one thing i notice is the data light next to the power stays on. has anybody else experienced this? thanks
Serato
Pene 6:48 AM - 26 September, 2008
Hi itchydj,
can you still operate ITCH via the keyboard when this happens?
Is this using windows (xp/vista) or mac (tiger/leopard)?
itchydj 7:13 PM - 26 September, 2008
im using a macbook w/ leopard 10.5.4
the keyboard and software still works, its just the unit that crashes.
Sunshinela 7:01 AM - 27 September, 2008
I'm having the same problem. The tracks load, but won't play. I have a gig tomorrow. :(
It played a few tracks well and now the cue light is on, the play button just flashes and there's no movement on the turntables in ITCH.

MacBook pro, 4 gigs of ram
external lacie 7200 rpm drive
Mac OS X 10.4.11
Jacob dutton 1:24 PM - 27 September, 2008
I too am having the same problem, its not good enough to say that 'the keyboard works when this happens', it shouldnt happen. Also, i cant cue the next track etc when it happens.
DeezNotes 2:49 PM - 27 September, 2008
Quote:
its not good enough to say that 'the keyboard works when this happens', it shouldnt happen.

I agree it shouldn't happen, but it's all about finding out how to fix it. The more info we have, the better! What version of ITCH is this on?
Jacob dutton 3:29 PM - 27 September, 2008
1.0.3. I have cancelled all my sets tonight because of it, it's shocking. Is there any other software I can use? If not im sending the vci back. Its always the right deck, it just becomes unresponsive and shines red with the data light on.
bartaug 3:31 PM - 27 September, 2008
Quote:
....Its always the right deck, it just becomes unresponsive and shines red with the data light on...

The way you describe it sounds like a hardware problem with your unit...

Jacob dutton 3:45 PM - 27 September, 2008
Im just going to send the whole lot back, ive never known a hardware/software combo so poorly produced and tested. Just goes to show when you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
digital-milo 3:48 AM - 28 September, 2008
i had this thing too
when i touched the right platter it turned red and stayed that way, it jammed the whole controller - it seemed to me like a mechanic error or so
i returned the unit and have a new one - that i've played with no problems for two weeks now
Clozee 2:29 PM - 28 September, 2008
I think that the cause of this crashes is due to the bad software ITCH. ITCH is released to soon. Why has the vestax vci-100 not so many problems? Because it works with traktor. I am going to buy the Vestax vci-300 and will use traktor. Probably Traktor will support the vestax vci-300 in the next release. And if not there is still:
www.djtechtools.com

Maybe when in a year of two ITCH has evolved to a good piece of software I maybe use it. In the meanwhile i will use mini.Translator in combination with traktor.
digital-milo 5:24 PM - 28 September, 2008
Clozee? did you tried ITCH or what? You say that its released to soon and stuff and you've not even played with it.
Firtst test it than complain
i have noticed no problems with the software and the broken vci was in my opinion a mechanic error it was dropped or something - not the software was the problem
just a faulty unit - it was exchanged and now i am fully satisfied
Clozee 8:26 PM - 28 September, 2008
ok, but I read so many comments of crashing vci-300 is this all hardware related???
Serato
Zeb 11:23 PM - 28 September, 2008
Hi there itchydj,
does it make any difference if you try starting Itch without the VCI300 connected & then connect it, or even whether you start your computer with or without the VCI300 connected.
This sounds to me like it may be something to do with the touch sensors in the VCI300, it would be ideal if you could try another VCI300 with your computer to see if it makes any difference.
Also another thing that would be good to eliminate would be the USB cable, do you have another one of these you could try.
Serato
Zeb 11:27 PM - 28 September, 2008
Hello Sunshinela,
could you try similar things to what I have suggested to itchydj above, the first thing we need to figure out is whether this is a hardware or software issue.
Also USB cables can cause inconsistent problems, so trying a different one of these would be a good idea.

Also do you have Airport & Bluetooth disabled when you are running Itch.
itchydj 5:05 AM - 29 September, 2008
ok wow this is getting pretty ridiculous...

i tried what you suggested, connect after loading the software, connect before, restart computer, restart vci, they ALL lead to the hardware crash. this does sound like a major hardware problem with the right side because the left works fine.
itchydj 5:12 AM - 29 September, 2008
switched usb cables and same crash result. now it crashes EVERY SINGLE track i play on the right side.
Serato
Pene 6:21 AM - 29 September, 2008
itcydj,
So when you say the left side works fine and only the right side has the problem - do all the other buttons (for scrolling/setting cue points etc) still work? Or do you mean that the VCI300 only freezes when you are using the right platter?

It does sound a lot like a hardware issue - when its frozen, if you disconnect the VCI-300 and reconnect it without restarting ITCH does it start working again (for at least a little while)?

itchydj 7:02 AM - 29 September, 2008
once it crashes none of the buttons work... the left side also stops working.

i also meant that using the left side doesnt cause the vci to freeze... i can play with the left side for 5 min and then load a song onto the right and touch the scroll and then it will freeze.

when i disconnect and reconnect it stays crashed. when i exit the software and then reload, same story... crashes when i touch right scroll pad.
itchydj 7:03 AM - 29 September, 2008
ive decided to return the unit tomorrow. the place i bought from doesnt issue refunds. now i dont know what to do with a $900+ credit. thanks vestax
Serato
Pene 7:55 AM - 29 September, 2008
:-/ would love to fix this issue for you. We spent the day trying to reproduce this problem, but none of our VCI-300s or computers seem to be able to do it.
You could try getting a replacement VCI-300, most people are not having this issue so assuming it's a hardware issue rather than some kind of conflict specific to your system you might not have the issue at all with a new VCI.

Regardless, thanks for all your useful info on this issue :)
Another question: Is it always when you are scrolling the tracks? Or does it happen when you are scratching with the right platter as well?

digital-milo 12:11 PM - 29 September, 2008
had the same thing, right platter
when i touched it even a little bit it froze the unit
scratch , outer side of the platter - pitch bend
i even tried to wobble it (i know my english sucks...)
but you know - just a jentle touch caused a crash
my opinion - mechanical issue nothing else,
cause when i shaked the whole unit - it caused a crash too
so maybee - some cables loose

returned the unit - got new one - works like a charm
i've played every gig with it (3, 4 times a week for more than 5 hrs) with no problems at all
digital-milo 12:13 PM - 29 September, 2008
oh i forgot i have a video of me doing the crash if someone is interested ;p
Jacob dutton 12:24 PM - 29 September, 2008
That would be really helpful for all of us experiencing this problem I think. Post a youtube link!
digital-milo 12:29 PM - 29 September, 2008
i have to convert it and ill post it tonight
Jacob dutton 12:34 PM - 29 September, 2008
Brilliant stuff. I have asked for an exchange of the product...I just don't want it happening at a gig with another unit.
Serato
Pene 9:27 PM - 29 September, 2008
digital-milo,
I would be super-interested in a video of the crash! Please let us know as soon as you have it up or upload it here: www.serato.com
digital-milo 9:43 PM - 29 September, 2008
two files are sent
hope that you can see somthing cause the quality is not so good
no sound - except my sister's violin in the next room ;p
Pene i did'nt wanted to post the video to the "wide" internet so im glad You showed up
Serato
Pene 10:36 PM - 29 September, 2008
thanks digital-milo, that's a big help :)
itchydj 11:15 PM - 29 September, 2008
can we see the video?
itchydj 11:51 PM - 29 September, 2008
ok guys problem solved!!!

i returned the damn thing.
Jacob dutton 11:43 AM - 30 September, 2008
me too!
sheeno 12:52 PM - 30 September, 2008
Quote:
1.0.3. I have cancelled all my sets tonight because of it, it's shocking.

2 Questions:

Why did you have to cancel your gig(s)?

What did you do before you had the vci-300?
Jacob dutton 3:01 PM - 30 September, 2008
Returned it and now I'm left with credit, and I cant get a replacement vci 300 til november!
Serato
Dylan W 5:04 AM - 2 October, 2008
Hi itchy DJ and others.

We have spoken with Vestax about the issues you are seeing with your VCI 300's and we would really like to help you out and get you replacement units if you are experiencing hardware faults. We are still investigating the exact nature of the problem but out primary concern is that you have a good experience with Vestax hardware and Serato software.

If you email the Vestax service center nearest you and cc dylan@serato.com and michael@serato.com in, we will make sure it is dealt with with the highest priority. Please mention your forum username and the fact that you have been posting in the ITCH 1.0.4 public beta area.

Thanks
Dylan

The contact points for Vestax support are

------------------------------------------------------------
1) Unites States (N.America)
Vestax Corporation USA
ATTN: Charles Akira Ono
800 S.Pacific Coast Highway Suite 8-187
Redondo Beach, CA
USA
tel: +1-323-230-7634
fax: +1-323-230-8646
email: charles@vestax.jp

2) Europe
Vestax Service Europe
ATTN: Gerfried Fischer
Rheinstr. 213
53332 Bornheim
Germany
Tel. +492222 952372
Fax +492222 952374
email: Vestaxde@aol.com

3) Japan (Asia/Oceania)
Vestax Corporation
ATTN: Takaki Tarama
1-18-6 Wakabayashi, Setagaya- Ku
Tokyo
Japan 154-0023
Telephone: +81. 03.3412.7011
Fax: +81. 03.3412.7013
email: tarama@vestaxjp and charles@vestax.jp

Pauer 5:15 AM - 6 October, 2008
I'm having problems with the right plate too! It loads the track, I can hear it on my headphones, but no sound out. It is only happening with the right side. If I move the right fader or crossfader many times, sound might come back, but it will last for just some time.

Left side is working perfect.
I use a Mackbook pro with 3GB Ram
OS X 10.5.5
I tried with botch versions of itch

The unit does not exactly crashes. I'm able to use buttons and everything. Sound from the right side is the one messing the whole experience. I also experienced unusual ups and downs sound from the unit.

Weird!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
tactek 8:07 PM - 8 October, 2008
On Sept. 22nd before my first gig with the VCI 300 I had the program lock up on me as well. I happened to be using the right platter when it locked up. The right platter continued to glow red. I powered down and started up again. I have used it since and not had any problems.

Dell B130 Inspiron XP

2GB Ram

Intel Celeron 1.4 GHz
Serato
Zeb 12:30 AM - 10 October, 2008
tactek,
the computer specs you have listed are below minimum spec for Itch.
I'm quite surprised you are able to run it without any problems, that's good to know though.

Pauer 5:37 AM - 10 October, 2008
I'm having issues with VESTAX returning my calls about this damaged unit.
I'm also having the same problem from the provider that sould me the machine asking for a 18% restocking fee eventhough the machine does not work. A very sad story for such a big hype to get this machine.

I've been using SSL for a while and I'm disapointted that the quality and tech support from vestax is not as good as Serato.com

At least you guys reply to this messages.

I need help to get a brand new working unit or my money back!
Thanks in advance!!!
clastix 12:14 PM - 10 October, 2008
I had a similar issue to Pauer.
it was happened at my last gig.

Master sound has gone sometimes except headphone sound
when I launch left or right side track,
and when I moved crossfader, vertical fader sometimes, the sound was back.

it doesnt seem the right platter problem, but its serious problem :(
DJ NAMELESS 3:11 PM - 11 October, 2008
I've had a similar problem, the unit froze up and still played through, but none of the controls worked. TWICE IN ONE GIG!?!?! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE I also cannot find the patch for the beta upgrade, which is a moot point since this is a hardware issue.

I waited four months for this unit to come out, and now I'm sitting on $900.00 that may or may not work. What I was using before is irrelevant, I bought this thing for a reason, and some reliable compensation is necessary.
Serato
Dylan W 12:52 AM - 13 October, 2008
Hi Guys,

Pauer, I believe you've spoken with us over the phone and I've been cc'd into an email with you so will work to get your unit replaced that way, your issue is a hardware fault.

Clastix, I'm not entirely sure what the problem with you unit is given the description. Are you able to start a help thread and provide a few more details? Once we know exactly what problem you are having we can decide what the best course of action is. You can start a help thread at the following link.

serato.com

DJ Nameless, as I mentioned further up in the discussion if you email the vestax service center nearest you and cc dylan@serato.com and michael@serato.com we will endeavor to get your unit replaced asap if you are experiencing a hardware fault.

It's important to us that you all have a good experience with ITCH and the VCI 300, if you are experiencing problems we want to make sure you get help.

Thanks
Dylan.

Quote:

The contact points for Vestax support are

1) Unites States (N.America)
Vestax Corporation USA
ATTN: Charles Akira Ono
800 S.Pacific Coast Highway Suite 8-187
Redondo Beach, CA
USA
tel: +1-323-230-7634
fax: +1-323-230-8646
email: charles@vestax.jp

2) Europe
Vestax Service Europe
ATTN: Gerfried Fischer
Rheinstr. 213
53332 Bornheim
Germany
Tel. +492222 952372
Fax +492222 952374
email: Vestaxde@aol.com

3) Japan (Asia/Oceania)
Vestax Corporation
ATTN: Takaki Tarama
1-18-6 Wakabayashi, Setagaya- Ku
Tokyo
Japan 154-0023
Telephone: +81. 03.3412.7011
Fax: +81. 03.3412.7013
email: tarama@vestaxjp and charles@vestax.jp

Pauer 2:43 AM - 13 October, 2008
All right. Thank you!
I will wait for VESTAX call to get my unit replaced.
Thanks!
Pauer 6:10 AM - 14 October, 2008
No answer from Vestax yet.
I called today 3 times and left a message besides writing an email.
Serato
Dylan W 1:42 AM - 16 October, 2008
Hey Pauer,

I've got your email and I'm chasing this up with Vestax for you, be in touch soon.

Thanks
Dylan.
Frankie Falcione 5:06 AM - 17 October, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

....Its always the right deck, it just becomes unresponsive and shines red with the data light on...

This is the same problems I was having with my unit. I sent it to an authorized repair center and was told it was unrepairable. Vestax sent me a new unit 3 weeks later and have since requested a full refund. Software is great as usual but faulty hardware once again in the MIDI world.
Serato
Dylan W 3:56 AM - 21 October, 2008
Hey Pauer,

I've seen an email conversation with you and Vestax and it looks like your unit is replaced and you're back up and running. Let me know if you need help with anything else, have fun with it!

Frankie, sorry to hear you're thinking of giving up on the VCI after your experience with a faulty unit. Vestax have been doing their best to help you out by the looks of it, I've seen a few emails flying back and forth trying to sort you out. I understand if ITCH is not for you right now though, let us know if you need any more help in the future.

Nameless, I'm chasing up your replacement with Vestax now, shouldn't be too far away. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers
Dylan.

Pauer 6:33 PM - 22 October, 2008
Hello!
I have received a brand new working unit! THANKS VESTAX & SERATO!
This machine is really what I was promised at first. I've been testing it for the past 3 days and it is just great! I will take it to my first gig on Thursday and will keep you guys posted.

I appreciate the help of Charles at Vestax & Dylan at Serato.
My advised... buy from a dealer you trust. I went and bought my unit from a vender I didn't know from ebay and they were not helpful at all.

This machine is in perfect conditions and at the moment I am pretty satisfied with it.
Dj Kabrini Greens 10:37 PM - 22 October, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

This is the same problems I was having with my unit. I sent it to an authorized repair center and was told it was unrepairable. Vestax sent me a new unit 3 weeks later and have since requested a full refund. Software is great as usual but faulty hardware once again in the MIDI world.

Cheer up frankie, watch deez get down with his "faulty hardware" lol
Watchwww.youtube.com