Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Vestax VCI problems and Gig review both :) and :(

DJCheLu 8:21 PM - 20 September, 2008
I ordered it from pssl and got it the next day i was very impressed. Opened it up and couldnt get it to work, found the solution which turned out to be a logitech quick cam problem go figure....... www.serato.com that really should be a sticky on ssl forums and this one as well.

Little back ground i use turntables and the 57sl for almost every gig, sometimes i use my trigger finger and 57 to rock internal mode using the sliders for pitch.

Anyways i shouldnt have done it but, an hour after i got it working i took it to a gig LOL. Setup was under ten minutes, plug into laptop then power speakers and im good to go :).

Problems:

**Biggest problem was i was missing tons of songs. I use itunes to organize my music and entire playlists tracks were not showing up but in itunes they showed up perfectly. This was a huge problem because i couldnt even search for tracks that i know i have..... Anyways i was using itunes 7.6 and i dled itunes 8 and installed it, opened up itch and a few tracks in the playlists that were missing all of them showed up, but only a few. I really want to use itch for tonights gig but i cant if im missing so much music. (i use itunes with all music on an external hd)

**Second biggest problem, the microphone is almost unusable. I got on the mic to announce some things and birthdays and it sounded like crap. The delay is so much that i finally just turned down the music and yelled it out so i could complete a sentence..... Im fine with not having a mic eq but the delay is ridiculous.

Hardware issues:

**it would be nice if the lettering was back lit on the unit but it really only took a few minutes of using it to memorize the layout so not a big deal, but its very hard to read the words while djing with the unit buttons so bright.

**The jog wheel torq knobs need some kind of click adjusting, i had it at perfect tension but as soon as i picked it up the knobs changed because of the positioning of it right where you would put your finger to pick the unit up. Something to keep it in place would be great.

**All the knobs need a brighter directional paint scheme, i was in a decently lit venue last night and with the units buttons beeing so brightly lit, it was very hard for my eyes to see what position all my EQ's were pointing and i even had my eye glasses on. All knobs were very hard to see i had to lean down towards it and feel for pots which was really annoying. A simple solid white stripe would elliminate this problem, which i may do my self with some nail polish if i decide to use this thing for lots of gig.

**The positioning of buttons and pitch controls would also sometimes cause me to touch the platter very slightly which would stop the music if you were in scratch mode. This only happened twice though and then i was just more careful or i turned off scratch mode, not a big deal.

**Faders feel different but they work perfectly for me, there is just no comparison to a 57sl fader. I wish the up faders werent as long as they are but thats just because it doesnt not fit my style of mixing.

**The VCI led meters to me are useless, they are not accurate enough and i could not get a good sound match by using the meters and the trim knobs at all. I know im coming from a 57 which had absolutely perfect meters imho but for the price this thing should have the same quality. This is just going to be a slightly annoying thing to get used to.

Volumes:

**I read another review stating that the volumes were not loud enough but they were perfect for me, all though i do use sennhieser hd 25 head phones which are very loud and some solid yamaha powered speakers. Turning the trim up on this does not distort until the highest ranges as well so turning it to three quarters makes it very loud with out distortion.

Software problems:

**Well biggest one is not having all my music!!!!!!!

**Other then that it RAN PERFECT it was very responsive even when it was rescanning tags for 30 mins at the beginning of my gig the sound never went out of whack. The screen updates where off a little because of this but i just used my ears to match. The software was so responsive that you could do a very good stutter crab scratch effect thingy just by tapping the jog wheel as fast as you can.

**Coming from ssl i really would like individual deck gains as well as a master gain and level meter on the screen since the hardware version is not up to par imho.

**Auto tempo thing i thought didnt work very well, it drifted when doing a 8 bar blend so i found it easier to manually match and use the jog wheel to adjust if needed. I kept touching the platter trying to slow it down thinking it was a mini turntable LOL.

OVERALL:

Good product i really liked the simplicity of setup and the features right on the unit made it fun and interesting while your djing and not just laptop djing. It worked like it is supposed to except for the fact that i was missing so much music and the mic delay issue. Once those problems are fixed i can live with the rest of them and if not i can always just bring my tables and 57 to a gig. The price is up there and in all honesty if i could get jog wheels to work this perfectly with ssl and the 57 i would have no need for this product. Very responsive unit and the software im sure will be perfect with continuing updates. Probably missed some things but i will include them later after the next few gigs.

I already have a case for mine and im ready to go serato please fix the itunes :)
DJCheLu 10:26 PM - 20 September, 2008
Figured out my itunes problem. All i needed to do was select all the music in itunes, get info, then click ok. After it was all processed everything shows up in itch now :).
DJCheLu 10:26 PM - 20 September, 2008
EDIT: careful when doing this since if you change anything it will edit every song in your library......
DeezNotes 3:36 AM - 21 September, 2008
Thanks for the review. I agree with most of the same issues you have. Its good to hear them from another perspective.
nik39 8:49 PM - 21 September, 2008
Quote:
Thanks for the review.

+1

Quote:
**All the knobs need a brighter directional paint scheme, i was in a decently lit venue last night and with the units buttons beeing so brightly lit, it was very hard for my eyes to see what position all my EQ's were pointing and i even had my eye glasses on. All knobs were very hard to see i had to lean down towards it and feel for pots which was really annoying. A simple solid white stripe would elliminate this problem, which i may do my self with some nail polish if i decide to use this thing for lots of gig.

Can you elaborate your fix?
DJCheLu 9:06 PM - 21 September, 2008
Not really a professional fix, but the eq knobs on the 57 are solid black with a white directional stripe. So i was thinking of just painting the directional stripe on all the vestax knobs to white for better visability, because right now they are red which is a hard to see color in contrast to black.
DJCheLu 7:20 AM - 23 September, 2008
I have done another gig with it tonight and it performed great.

Some notes:

I really like using the jog wheel to slow and speed up tracks its the perfect pitch bend, for me anyways.

The Level meters are ridiculous and i cant tell if autogain is working or not because i have to adjust some tracks A LOT to level it out.

Sometimes i get a glitch with my vestax where i use the jog wheel to scratch or as pitch bend and it will scroll through my tracks, but the scroll button is not lit. these moments happen right after pushing both buttons to load a track into a deck.

I will report back after a few more gigs ;)
DeezNotes 9:15 AM - 23 September, 2008
Quote:
The Level meters are ridiculous and i cant tell if autogain is working or not because i have to adjust some tracks A LOT to level it out.

I have always felt that way about Vestax meters.

Quote:

Sometimes i get a glitch with my vestax where i use the jog wheel to scratch or as pitch bend and it will scroll through my tracks, but the scroll button is not lit. these moments happen right after pushing both buttons to load a track into a deck.

Really? I've never had that happen and I use the scroll feature pretty heavy.
Serato
Zeb 5:55 AM - 24 September, 2008
DJChelu,
thanks for the feedback, there will be some changes to the mix architecture in the next release which will improve the VCI300 metering & mix control.