Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Analyzing files cause serato to stop reponding

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
stretch@djinthemix 6:24 AM - 3 April, 2013
I bought a DDJ-sx to use Serato and the pioneer midi decks as many forums say it's the best dj software and the ultiamte hardware. I am to a point where I think I wasted thousands of dollars on the midi hardware and a new laptop.

Analyzing files causes serato to stop responding on a win7 i3 laptop with 4G ram which I bought as a recommended system, my previous AMD did the same which I think is still superiour over intel.

Serato seems to use up all free memory and then stops responding. For some reason it does not release any memory once a song is processed.

Any ideas or help highly appriceated as I am at an end and need to get the gear running reliably. cheers Stretch
DJMartin 8:40 PM - 5 April, 2013
Hi stretch@djinthemix,

There are problems with large databases, I was facing also some crashes lately.
Meanwhile, if no one answers, you could read my threat and maybe it´s helpful for you.
serato.com

As you´re working on 2 PC´s, is it possible for you to delete some tracks on 1 pc and try again?
stretch@djinthemix 10:54 PM - 5 April, 2013
Thanks for the contct DJ Martin.

I have read your threads and that is bassically what I have been doing but I have appx. 170K songs and can only scan anout 4700 before Serato stops responding. I wonder if the Apple guys are having the same problem. It's making gigs stressfull when songs are requested and I can't find them fast enough. I've been tring to break it down to smaller crates but it seems to take longer to load songs that way.

I'll keep tring to find a soloution for now.
DJMartin 12:04 AM - 6 April, 2013
I had big trouble with 89k tracks, don´t want to think of 170k :p
The problem is not just the large track amounts in a crate, it´s the total amount of the tracks which will be loaded.
I´m afraid you need to reduce your total library for now as SDJ is having problems with this.

After reducing your library I would advice to rename the database V2 file in your serato folder at each partition and let SDJ or SSL create a fresh one. I had the impression this speeds up the loading and have less crashes then.

Also see my tip here to save/ protect your most important tracks: serato.com

Strange is that your analyzing also crashes at around 4700. My one crashed too at 4771.
Serato guys.., is it possible to get any reaction from you?
Mark Quest 12:22 AM - 7 April, 2013
The reason your PC can't handle it & is causng problems with Serato DJ is because of the i3 processor mate.. You need an i5 2.5Ghz MINIMUM - everything else lower should be avoided (although my AMD A6-4400 is running Serato DJ sweet & I haven't had a single issue with loading my library or anything)
lol @ needing 170,000 songs ready just in-case.. you wouldnt even play 1% of that in a night.! thats 1700 tracks BTW - even if you played 2 minutes of each song it would still take you 56 hours to get thru it! Why don't you just load the tracks you actually know you will play? If you run into problems after 4700 then learn to make do with four thousand and seven hundred song titles! And if you have to, analyzing them on the spot doesn't take long at all. Why not have them on a big HDD & load them into Serato DJ as needed? 170,000 songs bloody hell.. :D
stretch@djinthemix 3:53 AM - 7 April, 2013
Thanks for the advice. I know I have a lot of songs and because I cater for a large demographic I need most of them. I'll have to break down the bins to specific functions now but it is a bit of a pain from what I am use to. Specs said an i3 would do the job. I don't think it is cpu related as I have a AMD 64 acer laptop and a desk top 64 AMD with 8G of ram and as far as I can work out it is related to the win7 in some way. It runs out of free memory but has pleanty on standby it does not use. This is on both platforms.
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:49 AM - 11 April, 2013
Hey stretch@djinthemix,

Hopefully I can clear up a couple of things here:

Memory - With Serato software memory RAM and virtual memory is used by the DatabaseV2 which is your serato music library database, it also store info on the crates locations of your files and more metadata needed for fast response at the business end of the software (DJ'ing). When this hits it's peak which unfortunately roughly 3.2 Gig you could see crashes of the Serato DJ software. Basically at this stage Serato software is 32bit which means it can only access limited amount of memory. Serato DJ is more memory intensive because of the added MIDI controllers which are sending thousands of messages a minute and also the new Izotope powered effects means that your database may suffer unfortunately. We are looking into how we can further develop this however for now the best work around is to look at downsizing the your database unfortunately.

CPU - Cpu is used a bit everywhere but the most intensive thing will be the analyzing process. When analyze your crates or groups of files you'll see there can be more than one processed at once, this is based on the number of cores the CPU has. So you can imagine your computer could run pretty hot running 8 cores for five hours analyzing 175k of files for example. If the program crashes that could be related to corrupt files which i'll get into soon but if the whole computer crashes that could be the CPU spitting the dummy so to speak. I'd analyze in small groups if you find over heating is an issue.
FYI we don't support AMD processor computers could be a major factor with computer crashes.

Crashing during Overviews being built - If this happens, don't reopen the program, go to the Music folder > _Serato_ > open Overviewbuilder.log
Within there you should see a lists of songs, the last one that was analyzed is the suspect file. Delete that from your computer (or at least Serato/iTunes)
Rescan and repeat steps if further crashes occur during analyzing files.

Hopefully this helps.

Regards
Dave W
stretch@djinthemix 4:18 AM - 11 April, 2013
Hi Dave W

Thanks for the responce. Just to clarify the PC's I have tested this on do not crash, Serato just stops responding and I have to close it which then takes several minutes to do. Never the less very disappointing considering the resonalbe investment I have made in the hardware/software which in theory should have been an imporvment to my gear.

I'll keep an eye out for any developments in the near future but might have to drop back to the compeditors software for now.

Regards
Stretch
Serato, Support
David Wood 4:44 AM - 11 April, 2013
Sorry to hear that. We hope to bring about higher database capacity in the future, however I couldn't say when this will happen.

Regards
Dave W
DJMartin 2:11 PM - 11 April, 2013
Hi Dave W

Thank you for the very detailed information. I finally understand what´s going on.

So you are working now on a stable 64bit SDJ version which allows you to have a bigger library if your laptop/ PC has anough RAM and beside that you try to decrease the RAM which SDJ needs to operate stable if I´m correct?

So how much RAM does SDJ need to work properly (without a library) and which files are loaded into the RAM from the serato folder? What´s the maximum size (+/-) for this(these) file(s)
If only the V2 files are loaded, they only have 51MB on both partitions, which (I think) should be not a big deal with 4GB RAM. (for 89k tracks)
The complete Serato folders of both partitions are 101 MB.
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:10 PM - 11 April, 2013
Unfortunately 64bit is not on the road map in the near future however we are looking at way of opening up the available within the limits currently available on 32bit.

It's more about how the DatabaseV2 is read by the memory. It's something we are working to develop however I can't say when this will be available.

Regards
Dave W
DJMartin 7:41 AM - 12 April, 2013
OK, thanks for the info!!
I will write it at the suggested features. :)
Phuture2 12:19 PM - 13 April, 2013
Is it possible, that we change the windows 7 operating system on our laptops from 64 bit to 32 bit that the larger library will work?
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:32 PM - 14 April, 2013
No because it's still the application not the platform (Operating system). If you downgrade to the 32bit OS you maybe find that it's worse because the OS will not be able to access the full amount of RAM. It's only the application that is limited not the Operating System.

Regards
Dave W
Phuture2 12:54 AM - 15 April, 2013
Ah I see. Thanks for the heads up. So far mine is working well. Still going through my library and adding little by little. Talk to you soon Dave.
stretch@djinthemix 8:44 AM - 15 April, 2013
Hi Dave

I'm really keen to use the product so there must be a simple way to resolve this hanging issue. Serato only seem to have a problem when analysing and adding a vast amount of tracks at once. This fills up the system memory it can use as a 32 bit application and the program appears to freeze.

From a bit of research some previous experience and tests I have done it seems that the memory is most probable not being released after every song that has been analysed or there is some sort of a memory leak happening during the process. There seem to be no memory cleaning while it analyses and just keeps going until it runs our of RAM to use around the 3.2G mark you mentioned before.

I'm sure the Serato developers that have created such an awesome product should be able to resolve this rapidly.

Regards
Stretch
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:57 PM - 15 April, 2013
It's definitely high on the list of concerns we have moving forward. I can't give you any sort of roadmap for this thus far but we are pushing for this in support. We hope to bring a fix in the future.
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:53 PM - 17 April, 2013
Are you only getting crashes when analyzing your Database?
stretch@djinthemix 2:50 PM - 18 April, 2013
Yes only haning when analyzing
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:20 PM - 18 April, 2013
O.K I think maybe this issue is not about the size of your database maybe more a corrupt file issue.

Could you please open the Overviewbuilder.log when you get a freeze.
Close the program.

Music > _Serato_ > Overviewbuilder.log

When you open it there should be a list of the tracks that you have been analyzing, the last one on the list will be the problematic file.

Delete this file from your Serato library. and then repeat the steps again till you get through the library.

Regards
Dave W
stretch@djinthemix 7:40 AM - 22 April, 2013
Removing the last song did not change the problem . I have deleted the Overviewbuilder.log file and so far it seems to have got further then previous numbers. I 'll keep and eye on the it and update all on the progress
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:23 PM - 22 April, 2013
Hey stretch@djinthemix,

Great, thanks. I'd like to hear how it goes. There is a possibility the Overviewbuilder.log could have become problematic however i've not heard or that happening before personally. Please feedback and let us know what happens.

Regards
Dave W
stretch@djinthemix 6:19 PM - 23 April, 2013
Very strange logic of events but I have managed to import and Analyse 25k songs in one run after deleting the Overviewbuilder.log file. I've done this on my backup AMD box and will attempt this on my live i3 laptop system too. If it is successfully we might have got down to the roots of the problem.

I'll confirm the results over the next few days

Regards
Stretch
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:10 PM - 25 April, 2013
Thank you, please do report back. We'd be very interested to hear your results.

Regards
Dave W
stretch@djinthemix 7:00 PM - 29 April, 2013
There was slight progress with Serato DJ importing 25k songs then another 10k after the database and overviewbuilder log was delete. Two days later I'm at the same situation where the software seem to hang. I'm out of ideas. It still seem to consume all available memory and the freezes. I though I would re-test this theory and delete the files again to start over. Serato freezes in the first 4000 songs it analyses. I did a full uninstall of Serato deleted all remaining files manually and reinstalled after a reboot. No improvement seems to be back at stage one. Any suggestion to try welcomed.
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:26 PM - 29 April, 2013
My suggestion is to open the Activity monitor and monitor what is going on here.

Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor

Open the CPU tab at the bottom. Also Make sure you can see the Virtual Private Memory column. You can add this column by right clicking the columns headers and adding the column via that menu.

Please feed back your results.

Regards
Dave W
stretch@djinthemix 9:23 PM - 4 May, 2013
Well I'm out of ideas. worked fine for a few sessions then started to crash again.

I'm starting to think it's when the songs are added to a crate. It scans the folder seen in the activity bar at the bottom. this crash I was not analyzing just added about 12k song and let the music play.

got this crash report from windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: SeratoDJ.exe
Application Version: 1.1.2.5
Application Timestamp: 511e064c
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b8f
Exception Code: c0150010
Exception Offset: 000847db
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 5129
Additional Information 1: 69a2
Additional Information 2: 69a263a1d1b486cbb94b9cbdc8ff7554
Additional Information 3: d472
Additional Information 4: d472bd253415356154c17a426d1f01af
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:22 PM - 5 May, 2013
Hey stretch@djinthemix,

You may see similar symptoms for different problems. Lets just try and look at one thing at a time.

How many songs are you up to now in your library database?
Is it still crashing when you analyze songs?
Did you run Activity monitor and see what's happening there? (Instructions in above post)

Quote:
Well I'm out of ideas. worked fine for a few sessions then started to crash again.

I'm interested to know if it's still crashing when analyzing, or are these crashes on start up or adding new music?

Break it down for me please :)

Regards
Dave W
stretch@djinthemix 10:54 PM - 5 May, 2013
I have about 102k songs in the list I can't Analyze them. Serato causes a window pop up out of memory.

As for the memory windows shows that I have 6G available but as a 32 bit app it can’t use it all. I can only assume that the difference to the 3.4G it can use can’t load the whole list.

Thats all I have if you need any other info let me know and I'll send it over.

Stretch
Serato, Support
David Wood 11:43 PM - 5 May, 2013
It will not be able to load the whole list unfortunately by the sounds of it. We go back to the overloading of Virtual Private Memory issue. Your PC seems to hitting it's peak so I'd recommend not trying to add new music, but trimming it back.

Watching the Virtual Private Memory will help to find your limit of stability. I'd personally say you shouldn't go above 2.0 G in that column for stability, however you'd have to test it as i've only done tests with Mac for see what the limit seems to be.. I'm only guessing at this point.

What is your Virtual Private Memory sitting at when you open Serato DJ now?
stretch@djinthemix 8:55 AM - 6 May, 2013
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:05 AM - 7 May, 2013
Hey stretch@djinthemix,

Looks like less than I estimate, I'd just downsize till you find some stability, maybe a batch at a time. make sure you have no duplicates etc. I hope to do more testing with P.C's in the future.

Regards
Dave W
stretch@djinthemix 7:58 AM - 9 May, 2013
I have no choice now but to solider on I invested to much in the system and got rid of some of my old reliable gear to pursue the Pionees DDJ-SX and Serato. One good point Serato is stable in in DJ mode. I had a go with my old VDJ but it seems their interfacing to the ddj-sx is not great as some make out it to be. I like VDJ as it has several features I prefer over Serato. 1. I find the beat sync much superior and the BPM accurate without having to fluff about with the range. 2. The Auto DJ mode is great with it's own playlist and I used this a lot at Wedding gigs for the background sounds. What I like about Serato it starts and then loads the crates where as VDJ starts but loads the library list first and then displays the main screen when ready to play. It could take my collection 4-5 minutes to load. Nasty when you have a pc crash at a gig.

I'll keep an eye out for improvements to my Analysing problem and new features in Serato DJ

Cheers,Thanks
Stretch
Serato, Support
David Wood 8:32 PM - 10 May, 2013
Thank you for the feedback. Yes VDJ seems like it has some interesting features to make life easier for the mobile DJ.

Hopefully with a bit of work to downsize you will find a happy medium and the software and hardware controller should work without issue.

Regards
Dave W
9:00 PM, 24 May 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.