DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Any Mentors?-NYC

ozfrombk 5:27 AM - 21 March, 2013
I have been practicing for a little under a year now and I have watched countless vids and tutorials online. The internet, I'm sure, has made learning the craft by yourself easier. Still there are times where one just needs that extra instruction. Listening to my recorded practice runs I would have to say I've improved in the beatmatching department, but the consistency is definitely not there. I would simply like to learn some more tools of the trade from an experienced veteran. In exchange all I can offer is to be an attentive apprentice and to carry gear to gigs.

Hoping this doesn't fall on deaf ears.

Thanks.
the_black_one 5:39 AM - 21 March, 2013
in NY???? silly... There you don't need to mix, cut, blend, phrase!!! all you need is an Ipod and scream into the mic!!! its pure FIYYYYYYYYYYYA!!!
DJ Unique 5:44 AM - 21 March, 2013
Is this OZ from Brooklyn?
ozfrombk 2:21 PM - 21 March, 2013
@the_black_one

I rather sell my 1200s before I make myself look like a fool screaming into the mic. Fuck that.

@DJ Unique

Do you know another OZ from Brooklyn?
sixxx 2:23 PM - 21 March, 2013
Quote:
in NY???? silly... There you don't need to mix, cut, blend, phrase!!! all you need is an Ipod and scream into the mic!!! its pure FIYYYYYYYYYYYA!!!

lol
DJ Benny B NYC 2:24 PM - 21 March, 2013
oz what kind of music?
sixxx 2:25 PM - 21 March, 2013
Btw oz, props for doing things the right way. Hope you find someone to mentor you.

nm
DJYoshi 2:48 PM - 21 March, 2013
oz let's link
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:49 PM - 21 March, 2013
Quote:
@the_black_one

I rather sell my 1200s before I make myself look like a fool screaming into the mic. Fuck that.

Then why are you looking for a mentor in NYC?
djnak 5:55 PM - 21 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
@the_black_one

its funny how one thread carries into another lol
ozfrombk 5:57 PM - 21 March, 2013
@DJ Benny B NYC

I'm mostly interested in Hip Hop/Turntablism, R n B, Soul, Funk, Disco, Reggae, Dancehall, Soca & Calypso. I don't mind EDM either.

The more genres I learn the better in my opinion.

@sixxx

Thanks for the props and well wishes.

@DJYoshi

I'll shoot you a PM.

@Dj-M.Bezzle

Perhaps because I live and work in NYC? Besides not all NYC DJs do that foolishness. Look at The X-Ecutioners.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:57 PM - 21 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@the_black_one

its funny how one thread carries into another lol

All is one in the seratoverse
DJ Unique 6:33 PM - 21 March, 2013
Quote:
@the_black_one

@DJ Unique

Do you know another OZ from Brooklyn?

Hell yeah for that 1st comment!!!
2nd comment I was just busting your chops because of the Brooklyn connection.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:19 PM - 21 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
@the_black_one

ROTFL... That's like the old musician joke:

Student: "How do I get to play at Carnagie Hall?"
Teacher: "Practice, my son practice..."

or

Student: "How get them hyped at Prospect park?"
Teacher: "YELL, my son YELL..."
the_black_one 11:24 PM - 21 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@the_black_one

or

HOT FIYYYYYYYYYYYYA right HERE!!!!! LET"S GO!!!!!!!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:33 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@the_black_one

or

HOT FIYYYYYYYYYYYYA right HERE!!!!! LET"S GO!!!!!!!!!!

ROTFL!!!
Dj R. Driver 1:37 AM - 23 March, 2013
dont forget to slam tracks mid sentence
pdidy 10:55 AM - 23 March, 2013
Quote:

NYC is like the honey badger........NYC don't give a shit.....Watchwww.youtube.com
pdidy 11:12 AM - 23 March, 2013
Quote:

Dont hate, The only thing that came from Texas is drinking cough syrup while you play your tracks at 15bpm.......
Dj R. Driver 11:18 AM - 23 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

NYC is like the honey badger........NYC don't give a shit.....Watchwww.youtube.com

yups! nyc does not give a shit. AND IT SHOWS! no dis diddy. but the style you have out east is reserved and liked by the east.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:24 PM - 23 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

probably why it fell off about 10 years ago...tha bridge is ova tha bridge is ova
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:24 PM - 23 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yups! nyc does not give a shit. AND IT SHOWS! no dis diddy. but the style you have out east is reserved and liked by the east.

beat me to it lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:25 PM - 23 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Dont hate, The only thing that came from Texas is drinking cough syrup while you play your tracks at 15bpm.......

....still takes more tech work than talkin on a mic and hitting next lol
Dj R. Driver 1:31 PM - 23 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

....still takes more tech work than talkin on a mic and hitting next lol

yups. you try and do a chopped and screwed anything
the_black_one 5:46 PM - 23 March, 2013
Last I check... We still actually DJ down here... We don't need to scream on the mic to have crowd controll...
Dj R. Driver 5:47 PM - 23 March, 2013
@ black one, where you from?
the_black_one 5:50 PM - 23 March, 2013
Texas boy... Born and raised
Dj R. Driver 5:54 PM - 23 March, 2013
Quote:
Texas boy... Born and raised

cools. wasnt very clear but thought for a hot one yous was froms NY
the_black_one 5:56 PM - 23 March, 2013
Na... Just having some fun with the New York cats... NM NH
Dj R. Driver 6:00 PM - 23 March, 2013
so, back to the thread, only thing wrong with Ny is that its full of a bunch of NYers
pdidy 2:52 AM - 24 March, 2013
Hey , Guys.....I understand, I really do..... dont all jump me at the same time. Hell, if I was from one of those irrelevant states yall dj in......I'd be MAD as shit too.... hahahahaha

Let the troll fest begin...lol
HittinSkinzTa2 3:17 PM - 24 March, 2013
<---Brooooooooklyn. And what?
dj poisonous handz 3:22 PM - 24 March, 2013
Bk.do or die
CMOS 5:56 PM - 24 March, 2013
The fact that y'all think that every DJ out here screams on the mic shows how clueless some of you are. Your NYC knowledge consists of watching radio personalities doing 25 min sets in a club that was promoted all week to come see this big name screaming guy do his thing.

This is not the norm out here. Yes, our radio guys don't really dj, they are mostly talk shows that drop new music. The radio is the last place to go to hear Good music in NYC.

In fact other than the few guys who are known for this (flex, Capri) you really don't hear this much. I can't remember the last time I heard someone yelling on the mic at the club.

NYC crowds are rough, the people in these vids are tere to see exactly what's being done, they aren't there for the music, they are there to see Kid Capri do his thing which if anyone has ever seen def comedy jam20 years ago knows includes yelling on the mic like a fool.
CMOS 6:05 PM - 24 March, 2013
This ain't lazy ass Cali or the slow ass south, keep that energy high, keep the crowd having OOOOHHHHHHHHH SHIT moments as you surprise them or move the fuck on.

Straight mixing the entire night can get boring.
HittinSkinzTa2 7:07 PM - 24 March, 2013
What's up CMOS? How ya been? How's the tat holding up?
pdidy 9:37 PM - 24 March, 2013
Quote:
The fact that y'all think that every DJ out here screams on the mic shows how clueless some of you are. Your NYC knowledge consists of watching radio personalities doing 25 min sets in a club that was promoted all week to come see this big name screaming guy do his thing.

This is not the norm out here. Yes, our radio guys don't really dj, they are mostly talk shows that drop new music. The radio is the last place to go to hear Good music in NYC.

In fact other than the few guys who are known for this (flex, Capri) you really don't hear this much. I can't remember the last time I heard someone yelling on the mic at the club.

NYC crowds are rough, the people in these vids are tere to see exactly what's being done, they aren't there for the music, they are there to see Kid Capri do his thing which if anyone has ever seen def comedy jam20 years ago knows includes yelling on the mic like a fool.

Man I was havin fun with they ignant asses, why you gotta go tell them the truth ? I had them really believing that shit.....lol
ozfrombk 10:11 PM - 24 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Man I was havin fun with they ignant asses, why you gotta go tell them the truth ? I had them really believing that shit.....lol

Ha ha! This is funny.

Didn't mean for the thread to go a whole different direction but at least it's been entertaining.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:59 PM - 25 March, 2013
Quote:
This ain't lazy ass Cali or the slow ass south, keep that energy high, keep the crowd having OOOOHHHHHHHHH SHIT moments as you surprise them or move the fuck on.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj R. Driver 2:01 PM - 25 March, 2013
this girl told me to go slow once.
DJ Benny B NYC 6:10 PM - 25 March, 2013
Quote:

yup. theres a lot more to nyc djing than radio hip hop djs...
J30Nyc 4:59 AM - 23 April, 2013
any more mentors/partners?? i am available and somewhat savvy.. but not much experience
DJJ0HNNYM_vSL3 1:38 PM - 23 April, 2013
Quote:

:-|

This guy....SMH
DJJ0HNNYM_vSL3 1:42 PM - 23 April, 2013
Quote:
any more mentors/partners?? i am available and somewhat savvy.. but not much experience

I've got plenty experience useing TTs and I'm available.... we'll most likley need to meet up in between because my house is being renovated... You know how that is ;-)
DJYoshi 1:44 PM - 23 April, 2013
YES we have people that scream on a microphone
YES we have people that are more showmen than DJ's.... but last I checked so does every other city and country (you really don't think that ALL of the house producers play live do you?)
NY isn't an easy place to play in. When you say open format night, you better be know your music, know the crowd and know how to play for 500-3000 people from different demo's and musical taste.
Yes I slam tracks. Yes I mix. Yes I cut and scratch to transition. Yes I blend. Yes I'll throw in a trick mix if I'm getting bored.
I personally get bored straight mixing and I personally don't think there's a ton of flavor in it.
I'll use cue points, I'll use fx. As always, I'm sure there's a ton of dope DJ's out there.. I'm sure there's a ton of dope cities with great dj's out there...
Rockin the mic is something that you should REALLY have in your repertoire.
It makes you more versatile. It makes it easier to connect with the masses.
It gives your mix personality. It helps to set the vibe for the night....
It helps to get you paid more if you can do mix and rock well...

for all those that have never been to or played in a NY club... don't talk sh** about my city's DJ's if you haven't heard..
I don't troll and post saying: your mom's cooking sucks b/c I had a slice of bad brisket in memphis and you're from TN.... get what I'm saying?
bicedidit 2:23 PM - 23 April, 2013
I'm 40 min outside nyc (metro north) with 20 yrs dj experience... I'm not a club dj but I'd be willing to help out. Pm me if interested
J30Nyc 4:05 PM - 23 April, 2013
Quote:
I've got plenty experience useing TTs and I'm available.... we'll most likley need to meet up in between because my house is being renovated... You know how that is

i am not really looking for someone to teach me how to use turntables... i more or less know my way around them, im not a timecode user, i am more interested in building a partnership and get introduce into the club scene, i can help with promoting and such, and i want to say i can also bring in a bit of a crowd and maybe more if things work out well.
Quote:
I'm 40 min outside nyc (metro north) with 20 yrs dj experience... I'm not a club dj but I'd be willing to help out. Pm me if interested

thanks... but that seems a bit far out for me i would rather someone within the 5 boroughs. thank you
HittinSkinzTa2 4:26 PM - 23 April, 2013
Quote:
YES we have people that are more showmen than DJ's.... but last I checked so does every other city and country (you really don't think that ALL of the house producers play live do you?)
NY isn't an easy place to play in. When you say open format night, you better be know your music, know the crowd and know how to play for 500-3000 people from different demo's and musical taste.
Yes I slam tracks. Yes I mix. Yes I cut and scratch to transition. Yes I blend. Yes I'll throw in a trick mix if I'm getting bored.
I personally get bored straight mixing and I personally don't think there's a ton of flavor in it.
I'll use cue points, I'll use fx. As always, I'm sure there's a ton of dope DJ's out there.. I'm sure there's a ton of dope cities with great dj's out there...

for all those that have never been to or played in a NY club... don't talk sh** about my city's DJ's if you haven't heard..
I don't troll and post saying: your mom's cooking sucks b/c I had a slice of bad brisket in memphis and you're from TN.... get what I'm saying?

Word. Well said Yoshi.
Brooooooooklyn.
Mr. Goodkat 10:25 PM - 23 April, 2013
Quote:

the weird thing about slow music, is that you can get the same vibe if you flip it right, its all in the presentation. i seent it.
DJ_Phenom 9:05 AM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:

I visited NY earlier this year and I agree it was 50/50 good djs/bad djs the few spots I went. Which I feel like is pretty much the norm in most places that have a large nightlife industry. I was suprised to not hear anyone yell on the mic the way people characterize that style as all NY has to offer.

But

Texas, first and foremost for the dudes hating on the south!!!
J30Nyc 10:05 PM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
I was suprised to not hear anyone yell on the mic the way people characterize that style as all NY has to offer.

that stye is mostly seen in the hood clubs/hip hop clubs city spots usually play top 40s/ EDM they try not to attract the black community, bad for business.
BERTO 2:09 AM - 25 April, 2013
Bicedidit wher u at in ny im ocny
bicedidit 3:02 PM - 25 April, 2013
im in peekskill. ur in newburgh, right?
wanna battle?
BERTO 6:16 PM - 25 April, 2013
Lmfao @battle! Yo i have a partybus tomorrow night from nburgh to club grand at stamford ct 40$ round trip ur welcome to go!
bicedidit 7:04 PM - 25 April, 2013
wow. i got a final on saturday morning. thanks tho.

maybe we can link up at some point. i dont have many dj friends.

www.facebook.com
BERTO 3:27 AM - 3 May, 2013
bicedidit i got another bus may 9th to sullivan room! pm me if ya wanna bring some ppl
J30Nyc 4:30 AM - 6 May, 2013
Damn so nobody wants to network? lol
bicedidit 3:13 PM - 6 May, 2013
Quote:
bicedidit i got another bus may 9th to sullivan room! pm me if ya wanna bring some ppl

thnx berto. i dont really have much of a desire to go out anymore. im 34 and it doestn really appeal to me anymore.

i do appreciate the offer tho