Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Import M3U Crashes Serato DJ

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
djchrishart 2:56 AM - 12 March, 2013
I have a 400 song playlist that I want to import into Serato DJ. Every time that I attempt, it crashes. I think the best bet would be for me to upload this file so you can look at it, but don't see how to do so. Thoughts?
2:56 AM, 12 Mar 2013
djchrishart attached a file: Top 100 (2010\'s).m3u
Download· Permalink
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:49 PM - 19 March, 2013
Hi djchrishart,

This could be crashing because of a corrupt file, I would try importing and analysing these in smaller batches to try and identify where the probelm may lie.
also you can check the Overviewbuilder.log in the _Serato_ folder to see if its showing you the last song its crashing on.

I can't see the actual files, as you've just uploaded the m3u file.

Matt P
2:07 AM, 23 Mar 2013
djchrishart attached a file: test2.m3u
Download· Permalink
djchrishart 2:07 AM - 23 March, 2013
Matt, thanks for getting back to me!

I just ran into this issue again, with a much more manageable amount of songs to test with. Come to find out, it seems like it's a foreign character issue (i.e. Bublé - the "é"). Take a look at the attached "test2.m3u" file and you will see the list of songs that I had in there. When I dragged this M3U into Serato DJ, crash! I then removed the line that had "Bublé" in it, and it imported and created the crate as expected. Can you guys please look into?

And honestly, while you're at it, please test iTunes playlist export to M3U, to Serato DJ import; results in blank crate. And I'm not interested in enabling the "Show iTunes Library". IMO, iTunes has issues of it's own, and I want Serato DJ to leverage its DB instead of relying on iTunes'.
Serato, Support
Matt P 3:03 AM - 26 March, 2013
Hi djchrishart,

I'm gonna definitely look into the foreign character thing. But this Bublé track, what file type is it? If you want to upload that file i'll have a go at reproducing it.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will mention this to the PO's. ITunes cause us a fair amount of headaches. This is a good suggestion.

Matt P
4:00 AM, 9 Apr 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
djchrishart 9:53 PM - 9 April, 2013
I'll upload the Michael Bublé track, but I don't want you to zero in on the actual song itself. If I rename the track to Buble and change the M3U file to reflect this, the playlist imports fine. So again, I don't think it has anything to do with the track itself, just lack of support for foreign characters. And it's not just the "é" that does this; other characters like it as well.
9:58 PM, 9 Apr 2013
djchrishart attached a file: Michael Bublé - I\'ve Got The World On A String.mp3
Download· Permalink
Serato, Support
Matt P 3:10 AM - 15 April, 2013
Hi djchrishart,

I'll have to do some more research into the foreign character stuff. I've loaded the file no problem. There is no é in there just a regular e.

Matt P
4:00 AM, 29 Apr 2013
djchrishart 3:28 PM - 31 August, 2013
Please re-open this ticket and leave open until resolved.

All in all, there's a two issues with importing exported iTunes v11.0.5 64-bit (Mac) playlists into Serato DJ (not sure if issue exists on Windows iTunes - would bet it does)
1) ISSUE #1:
- If you keep the M3U file in it's native format after exporting it from iTunes and it doesn't have any non-Western characters (i.e. é), Serato DJ just loads a blank crate when you drag/drop the M3U onto the add crate icon
- If you convert the End of Line (EOL)/Carriage Return (CR) format from "Old Mac Format" (Notepad++ calls it) or "Classic Mac (CR)" (TextWrangler calls it) to "Windows Format" (Notepad++ calls it) or "Windows (CRLF)" (TextWrangler calls it), it will then load as expected
- See below for how to do this manually, but investigate fixing within Serato DJ
2) ISSUE #2:
- If you have non-Western characters (i.e. é - Bublé for instance) in your path or filename, and you've done the above (you have to regardless), it will crash Serato DJ when you try to import it
- I don't have a workaround for this, except for removing the entire song from the exported iTunes M3U file and manually adding the song into the crate after importing the modified M3U into Serato DJ.
- Please address...!

Here are the steps for manually solving ISSUE #1:

Step #1: Export playlists from iTunes and save as M3U
Step #2: Open M3U in a text editor (Notepad++ or TextWrangler)
Step #3: Change the "Classic Mac (CR)" at the bottom of the screen to "Windows (CRLF)" (within TextWrangler) or click Edit-->EOL Conversion-->Windows Format (within Notepad++)
Step #4: Save file overwriting original
Step #5: Drag/Drop on Serato DJ add crate icon
Richard O 3:01 PM - 21 January, 2016
Gibbs Kaz 11:31 PM - 29 March, 2013
HI,

hi I am new in Serato. I just bought the Pioneer DDJ SX Controller. I was using M-Audio Torq 2.0 Before. I have plenty of playlists with the extention .M3U i created over the years that i would like to import in Serato. I went in the location where these playlists are then i drag them in the Crate panel in Serato. The program scans the songs in each playlists and created a Crate for each playlists which i ok so far. But when i close Serato then Start it back all the Crates are dissapeared. I the same process over and over , still the same problem happen.

Could you please help? I'd like to know how can i Import my playlist (M3U) in Serato DJ. I'd like to find them everytime i run Serato.
I also ran the test crate thing and that works, but still having a problem.

Thank you!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:42 AM - 22 January, 2016
Hey Richard O

There could be a few different reasons for this happening so it would be best to open a help request with our support team at support.serato.com.

One of the team will work with you to figure out what might be going on.

Thanks, Aaron
Richard O 6:08 AM - 22 January, 2016
They already sent me a email telling me that I don't do anything
Serato, Support
Aaron E 11:14 PM - 24 January, 2016
Ah okay, I can see the ticket.

Best to keep working with Nathaniel in there to find a solution. If you can't export M3U files from Torq, you may need to look at a more manual process.

Either way, keep talking to Nathaniel and I'm sure you'll get there.

Thanks, Aaron
2:00 AM, 8 Feb 2016