Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

popping sounds in quiet parts of tracks

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Vestax VCI-400
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
darkpsyde 3:44 PM - 3 March, 2013
While playing the quiet sections of tracks, I am hearing a popping noise. Does not happen when I play the same track in Traktor, and I have the latency set all the way up. Still nothing, please help me with an update, or a possible refund as this product is useless to me with these pops.
Dj4dubb 8:14 PM - 3 March, 2013
It's not just quite parts... if you try you can easily hear little tap-like clicking constantly going on, track play or not doesn't matter. It's not a corrupt audio file either, I think they missed something in the behind the scenes setup. It's a very ugly sound at that.

I have it and it's not happening anywhere else but in Serato. I have dJay and Traktor both installed and they aren't doing this, even with the updated Serato DJ firmware in play.

My machine specs are great enough too...
1tb HD @7200
8 GB of RAM @ 1333 MHZ
OS X 10.8.2
Latest version of DJ

I had the Pioneer DDJ SX and do not remember having this problem with it. Something got missed or overlooked in the port of the VCI to SDJ
darkpsyde 2:45 PM - 4 March, 2013
and the recordings come out ok, its just in the outputs.. Please fix this serato or I want my money back!
Dj4dubb 3:33 PM - 4 March, 2013
I wouldn't say get a refund tho... When i first got Serato DJ something told me to try running as the controller was without doing the Serato DJ firmware update... it ran and ran fine to me, but i'm sure i missed checking something to see if it was working or not in that process.

What I did yesterday was to revert back to the 6.0 Audio firmware and the 1.5 Midi firmware... Not one pop or click is happening at this point, the jog integration may be just a tad bit slower, but other than that it's quite usable, more so than using it with the audio pops and clicks that the firmware update introduces.

Try reverting, they have a link to the old firmware on Vestax site.
darkpsyde 4:05 PM - 4 March, 2013
I might try that, but honestly the main thing serato has over traktor is that integration, if i am losing that, i might as well have stayed with traktor in the first place.
Dj4dubb 4:10 PM - 4 March, 2013
try it... it's not a disappointment by a long shot... the integration appears to still be there, I wish I knew what it is they did between the two firmwares and why...

Traktor needs to adopt some in-house mapping for some of the big time controllers... the S4 and S2 behave Traktor with the same tight intergration that the controllers Serato supports does in their software...
darkpsyde 6:30 PM - 4 March, 2013
Yeah, true. Idk, I have a mapping from Little Franky that is amazing. especially the jog effects added, unfortunately the main thing is that integration. Maybe I should just give up on on the tablism aspects, but that to me is the most fun part of djing.
Dj4dubb 6:40 PM - 4 March, 2013
I use the Lil Franky map too (modified a few things for my needs). I think his map and the Altamira map for the MC6k are the best out there, with the Altamira map being the best.

Something about the size of these units that don't turn me on as far as trying to use the unit as a mixer for turntables. Space in most the clubs or lounges is limited. I took the pioneer back because of it's size (and not being able to use it in both programs and the mic is not routable).
darkpsyde 8:20 PM - 4 March, 2013
yeah, mine is the center piece of my setup at home, but when I play out, I just use the jogs. Might add the small Akai lp8 for some additional sampler controls.
darkpsyde 9:36 PM - 4 March, 2013
hey man, you still have access to the 1.15 midi firmware? I cant find it for dl, and still have the 2.03 on there which isnt working...
darkpsyde 1:30 PM - 5 March, 2013
So Serato? We ever going to get a response on this known issue, or just pretend it doesn't exist?
darkpsyde 4:35 PM - 8 March, 2013
Still nothing from serato on this? COME ON GUYS!!!! at least a response telling me too bad, we got you, or we are working on it.. or something!! This is mickey mouse bs.
Serato, Support
David Wood 11:01 PM - 10 March, 2013
Hey darkpsyde,

Sorry about the late response we have had a backlog of threads to work through.

Sound like Dj4dubb has also experienced the same issues as you have and has had results with firmware downgrades.

This is the update page, however i'm not sure of the rollback link.help.vestax.co.jp

Make sure you have gone through these step correctly. Did you have a link Dj4dubb to old firmware?

We don't make the firmware so this is in the Vestax court if it is related to that. On a serato DJ note, where is your USB buffer latency set to?

Let me know how you go.

Regards
Dave W
darkpsyde 12:55 PM - 11 March, 2013
Thank you for the response. I have changed the latency up to the max, and lowered it. Neither helped. It is currently set to 256.
darkpsyde 7:34 PM - 11 March, 2013
Better question is... how are you going to charge all of us, then give away the software to others after the 1st, with no mention to us on the forums? So basically, I paid for the software a week and a half too early, and it still doesn't work right. Very, very unhappy with this experience.
Serato, Support
David Wood 8:46 PM - 11 March, 2013
I'm not sure what you are talking about? Could you explain, sorry you are not happy, i'd like to understand.
Quote:
how are you going to charge all of us, then give away the software to others after the 1st, with no mention to us on the forums?
darkpsyde 9:06 PM - 11 March, 2013
darkpsyde 9:08 PM - 11 March, 2013
From this article, it says you guys are giving away serato dj with new purchases, however nothing has been mentioned here, and with all these issues, it seems you could make some of us forum members real happy. Especially those who just purchased your product in the last two weeks.
darkpsyde 5:09 PM - 14 March, 2013
so one response in 2 weeks, with no follow up. Great work guys.. What number do I call for my refund?
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:24 AM - 15 March, 2013
Hey darkpsyde,

Sorry about the late response, i've been away from my desk over the last couple of days. And i've also had a lot of posted to get through. Sorry this service is sometimes not as fast as you'd like. I'll do my best to help where I can though Darkpsyde.

Serato isn't giving away these licenses via Vestax. Vestax has purchased Serato DJ licenses from Serato to bundle with their latest release of Vestax VCI-400's. I'm sorry you are unhappy with this but my recommendation is to contact Vestax if you feel this is unfair on you as a Vestax VCi-400 user.

I'd like to help you with the issues you are having with the Vestax
VCI-400 where i can, there has been some discussion on firmware in this thread but let's try and break it down a bit more. Please answer a few questions for me, which will help us build a bigger picture of your setup.

1) What are your computer specifications?
2) What is your USB Buffer Latency in Serato DJ set to?
3) Where you able to try reinstalling the firmware or downgrading?

What else have you tried (troubleshooted) so far?

Let me know and we can try a few things to get it sorted.

Regards
Dave W
darkpsyde 1:59 PM - 15 March, 2013
Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz Intel Core i5, 4gb 1333 mhz DDR3, 500G HD. Running 10.7.5, USB buffer is set to 256, and I have tried lowering and raising the USB latency which has had no effect on the noise. I have not changed anything else to trouble shoot, as there has been no other changes. I can not revert the Midi firmware, as it is not offered on DL from Vestax. I have reverted the audio firmware, however that has not had any effect on the popping noise.
Serato, Support
David Wood 2:54 AM - 18 March, 2013
Hey darkpsyde,

Could you do a small test for me?

Close all programs.
Within your Music > _Serato_ folder there is a file called DropoutCount.log. Could you please move that file to the trash.
Reopen Serato DJ
Play till you have popping sound reproduced.
Then go back to the _Serato_ folder and attach the new DropoutCount.log here for me to look at?

Thanks
Dave W
3:00 AM, 1 Apr 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.