Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

vci-300/ITCH communication trouble

Y.O.75 4:47 AM - 4 August, 2008
Hi there everyone,
I just bought my vci-300/ITCH set and the problem is I can't get it run. It seems to be a vci-300 / ITCH communication thing:
After switching the vci-300 to ON, I keep getting the "hardware disconnected" message. The PC (Win XP service pack 3) apparently recognizes the vci-300, I get two "usb audio device" icons at the sound devices control panel (I tried to update the drivers but there's no new stuff to update to); I can listen to mp3s through the vci-300 (via headphones) Is the vci-300
supposed to show up in the "removable hardware" folder just like an external HD or DVD? Mine is not.
Anyway, thanks to anyone who can help me.
Serato
Pene 5:01 AM - 4 August, 2008
Can you use the VCI300 with other midi applications?

You could try using MIDI OX (www.midiox.com) if you don't have any other midi applications.
Y.O.75 5:22 AM - 4 August, 2008
Thanks for the input Pene (quite an interesting nickname in Spanish, I tell you)
I have no other midi applications, but I will try Midi Ox. Excuse my utter ignorance on the topic, but what does this Midi ox do?
Y.O.75 5:46 AM - 4 August, 2008
OK, the message I get from Midi Ox is "there is no midi device" : (
carl sound vibes 4:03 PM - 4 August, 2008
I need some opinions on the itch in general. Does work good? Is it worth buying? Comparison between Itch and Numark NS7.
CSV.
DeezNotes 8:03 PM - 4 August, 2008
i had a similar issuw with one of my POS machines which i could never get to work. i didnt think much of it because i never use this machine and it sucks.
Serato
Pene 10:15 PM - 4 August, 2008
It does sound a lot like either something is wrong with the MIDI system on your computer or something is wrong with the MIDI firmware on your VCI300. Are you able to try the VCI300 with another computer? I'll talk with our support guys and see what else we can suggest.

carl sound vibes, you will probably get a better response if you start your own discussion rather than joining in on this unrelated one :)
Y.O.75 12:53 AM - 5 August, 2008
Pene,
I tried the vci-300 on my laptop and it worked! No "hardware disconnected" issue, smooth communication. The problem is the laptop is way too old to run the vci-300/itch, so I still need to get this thing fixed. The laptop runs on Win XP SP 2.
Any idea of how to fix the Midi system on my PC?
Thanks a lot.
bartaug 5:32 AM - 5 August, 2008
Quote:
Any idea of how to fix the Midi system on my PC?
Thanks a lot.

You could try another USB port, XP should install the drivers again (for that port)...
Y.O.75 9:44 AM - 5 August, 2008
So far I've tried 3 out of 6 USB ports of my PC, no luck. I'll try the other 3.
Thanks.
Y.O.75 1:31 PM - 5 August, 2008
Still not luck, even after trying with different USB ports.
Somebody told me to install the "Maple midi driver", and this is what it displayed before completing the installation process:

Warning: The midi driver will not start because there is no free space for midi entries in the Windows registry.
The driver has detected a duplicate midi entry in the registry (midi1 - wdmadu.drv) which it should be able to
harmlessly remove. This change is both recommended and required for the driver to work. It will record the change,
so that you can contact technical support to undo the change if you have any immediate midi problem. Do you wish
to perform this change?

I performed the change but still it won't work, honestly I had no idea of how to use these programs. I deleted and reinstalled ITCH (once again) and followed some other tips.
Any idea of how can I solve this thing?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Goran 10:14 PM - 5 August, 2008
Hi 75,

MIDI-OX is a tool to test midi devices. Can you open midi-ox again, and press ok for any error messages you might get. Then right click anywhere on the black screen and choose "MIDI Devices" in the popup menu. Two lists should be displayed: "MIDI inputs" and "MIDI outputs". What do you have in your lists? Do you have the "USB Audio Device" entry? Do you have any Maple devices such as "midi1"? Is there anything in the list?

Cheers
Goran
Y.O.75 5:05 AM - 7 August, 2008
Thanks for the input Goran,

This is what I got on midiox/maple:

img46.imageshack.us

These are the "USB audio device" properties at Windows device manager (in Japanese, but I think it's obvious)

img112.imageshack.us

Also, according to this website www.rme-audio.com I though it might a problem of "10 Entry Limit in Windows", so I deleted them accordingly... but still no luck.

Is there anything left I can do? :-(
1000 Cutts 1:12 PM - 9 August, 2008
get a mac!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 3:09 AM - 11 August, 2008
Hi Y.O.75,
Do you have any other midi hardware, (like a midi keyboard etc) that you could try out?
That way we can narrow down the problem and see if it is an issue with your VCI or with your actual computer.
Y.O.75 1:13 PM - 11 August, 2008
Hello Nick M,
Actually I noticed I have another midi hardware (a Korg electric piano) that only my wife uses (that's why I was forgetting about it), but I need to buy some midi connection cables before. But as I said some lines above, the vci-300 + itch work fine in my old laptop computer (only the computer is too slow), so I guess the problem must be in windows, am I wrong? By the way I'm on a Sony Vaio VGC-H24L7 (Desktop PC)
DeezNotes 1:18 PM - 11 August, 2008
I know you said you you tried different USB ports, but on my desktop I HAD to use a rear USB port. The front ones didn't work.
Y.O.75 5:22 AM - 13 August, 2008
Oh my God... FINALLY!! I managed to get the problem solved!!! I feel like I just won a gold medal at bug-fixing Olympics...

I never thought the problem might be this:

(Pasted from another forum)
"I purchased a Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks Deluxe, and after I installed
the Logitech Software/Drivers, our firmware update utility could no longer
communicate with our hardware via the built-in USB Audio Driver.
Although our product appears as a "USB Audio Device" and the various
"Properties" dialogs all report that the device is installed and working
properly, the MIDI ports of our hardware are not available in the
Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices-> AUDIO tab-> MIDI music playback
default device drop-down.
As soon as the logitech drivers are uninstalled, our hardwares MIDI ports
magically appear in this drop-down."

---

That's it, I own a Logitech webcam (that now I hate) which was messing with the midi ports, how unexpected was that? After uninstalling the whole thing, it works just fine. So, vci-300 owners, BEWARE of Logitech! I think vestax/serato should warn users about this bug.
Thanks you all for your help, and special thanks to the couple of guys who found out about the Logitech bug :-)
DJ Xio 5:28 AM - 13 August, 2008
Glad to hear that... now the most important question.

How's the VCI-300?

Give us some info, feel, reliability, opinions, how do you like it?

Thx in advanced! :)
DeezNotes 1:47 PM - 13 August, 2008
Wow. Nice find Y.O.75! I have a Logitech cam on my laptop I was having trouble with when connecting the VCI 300. I'll give the uninstall a try and let you all know how it works out.
nik39 12:08 AM - 14 August, 2008
Quote:
That's it, I own a Logitech webcam (that now I hate) which was messing with the midi ports, how unexpected was that?

Very much.

Wow, nice find :)
Y.O.75 5:48 AM - 14 August, 2008
@DeezNotes, how was it?

@DJ Xio, this is my first DJ kit so I can't really compare it to others, but I'm enjoying the experience so far. I still have a lot to learn/practise since I've been busy fixing the bug, but anyway the feeling is very good :)
DJ Xio 11:55 AM - 14 August, 2008
Great to know...

Thanks!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 2:07 AM - 15 August, 2008
Good find Y.O.75,
Nice to hear you got it all sorted :)
DeezNotes 10:58 PM - 15 August, 2008
I uninstalled the Logitech Legacy USB Camera Driver Package va the Control Panel and I can use ITCH/VCI with my crappy laptop now! :-)

Thanks Y.O.
Y.O.75 1:20 PM - 16 August, 2008
Thanks Nick M; Congrats DeezNotes :)
BLacKHarT ThE ReMiXoLoGisT 12:07 AM - 30 September, 2008
I new here...(Whats Up Everybody). I was having the same communication issue with my VCI 300/itch as well. In addition, my vci freezes after some buttons are pressed and knobs turned(data light stays lit, and no repsonse after....and the buttons arnt as bright as i expected...In fact they arnt bright at all lol...and all of them didnt light up).

Im more frustrated at the fact that Logitech could be the reason why all these bugs are present in the first place.....(IM HEATEDD)

adding insult to injury... i have a logiteh webcam as well...(im ready to brake that cam now). So I will unistall the logitech drivers and update you guys on the situation later on (if that solves the problem i just have to brake the cam for puttin me though such a aggravating period in my life lol)...

Y.O.75----you are the man...BIG FIND....You should get paid for that lol (along with pple that found the bug).
BLacKHarT ThE ReMiXoLoGisT 12:08 AM - 30 September, 2008
and sorry for the repost**
BLacKHarT ThE ReMiXoLoGisT 4:26 AM - 30 September, 2008
Yessssssss so it works...and my web cam is broke lolol

but i cant get sound when i start playback
Serato
Pene 4:38 AM - 30 September, 2008
Hi BLacKHarT,
do you see the waveforms at the bottom of the screen and do the move when you push play?
Hamza 10:15 AM - 9 October, 2008
Quote:
Hi there everyone,
I just bought my vci-300/ITCH set and the problem is I can't get it run. It seems to be a vci-300 / ITCH communication thing:
After switching the vci-300 to ON, I keep getting the "hardware disconnected" message. The PC (Win XP service pack 3) apparently recognizes the vci-300, I get two "usb audio device" icons at the sound devices control panel (I tried to update the drivers but there's no new stuff to update to); I can listen to mp3s through the vci-300 (via headphones) Is the vci-300
supposed to show up in the "removable hardware" folder just like an external HD or DVD? Mine is not.
Anyway, thanks to anyone who can help me.

Hi everyone,

I have the exact same problem, only that I work with a Mac (G5) ... It used to work very well with my Macbook But now it always says "hardware disconnected" - I tried it again with the Macbook and it works just fine.

How do I fix that ?

Thanks in advance
Serato
Pene 10:19 PM - 9 October, 2008
Hi Hamza,
please start your own separate thread about your issue in the help area: serato.com :)
Unless you have a logitech webcam your issue is probably a different one.

Let us know if you can use the VCI-300 with other MIDI applications. (You can use MIDI monitor www.snoize.com if you don't have anything else)
Y.O.75 8:29 AM - 10 January, 2009
@BLacKHarT ThE ReMiXoLoGisT,
This is months late, but I'm glad my experience helped you solve the problem. I know from experience that this can be *very* frustrating.
Happy new year everyone!