Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

DJ 1.1.1 crashes a lot on start-up? CPU indicator, itunes library

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
** DJ Bob 6:22 PM - 11 February, 2013
Hello, I have been trouble-shooting for 2 weeks now. I use a brand new MacBook Pro 2.5 Ghz i5, with 4 GB Ram (500 gb internal w/ 475 available). ALl music & Videos are stored on an external, powered Hitachi 3 TB G-Drive (about 1 Tb available). For equipment I typically use a Rane TTM-57 Mixer and 2 CDJ-900 in my bigger coffin, with the latest Serato Scratch Live software. I recently bought a Pioneer DDJ-SX and added the Serato DJ 1.1.1 to my laptop.

Everything works perfectly in my Scratch Live set up. Software loads quickly, no drops or failures. Itunes is well managed and organized. But now after adding the Serato DJ software I have tons of issues with crashing, loading my library, and the CPU meter,

To begin. Serato DJ will crash a minimum of 6 times before I can even get it to start up. Sometimes when it crashes, the CPU meter will get to about 75%. Other times it immediately crashes on start up. If I can actually get it to start up (on start up attempt #7-15) it will rarely display all my itunes playlists/folders. It has a few times successfully done everything, but most of the time its just been a pain. I of course have the 'Read itunes library' checked) I have used the Searto software for about 3.5 years now and I thought I had a good grasp on everything. But the mere switch/addition of Serato DJ 1.1.1 seems to screw everything up? I've also noticed a few times on start up, that in the lower indication bar on screen, I've seen the message 'Itunes library is corrupt' ?? but the software will sometimes still start up? ...and my library has and still works perfectly with Scratch Live. Anyways, I had the whole Serato DJ combination od software and controller only correctly load & work 3 times now (starting up, showing my library & playlist, etc) and I like it, I want to use it, etc. But I can't keep carrying an extra equip coffin to every gig because chances are I have to switch back to Scratch Live when the new stuff won't start/work.

Thanks much...Please advise?
** DJ Bob 4:04 AM - 12 February, 2013
Forgot to mention that I have renamed/rebuilt the iTunes XML file 3 times now, with no improvement on the performance of Serato DJ 1.1.1

Even with the new XML, I will sometimes see a message saying 'iTunes Library is corrupt' and now I have restarted the software at least 50 times today, with never a playlist that will show, but my music collection is available in the ALL category. It also shows/plays perfectly still in iTunes itself, as well as the newest Scratch Live.
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:04 PM - 12 February, 2013
Your library is to big. Thats why itos crashing.

No fix for this apart from make your library smaller.

Itch and dj are not good with large databases.

Ssl is alot better.
DJ Pumpit 2:30 PM - 12 February, 2013
Do you have Windows 8 ? Scratch live does not work as of yet , can you try this on another computer that has Windows 7
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:02 PM - 12 February, 2013
What are you talking about? Go play somewhere else.
DJ Pumpit 3:10 PM - 12 February, 2013
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:13 PM - 12 February, 2013
Quote:
serato.com

Ya thats for beginers who dont lnow the the fuck there doing. Win8 works nice if you know how to work a pc. And if you knew about pcs you would know thos guy has a mac! FAIL... Lol
** DJ Bob 7:33 PM - 12 February, 2013
Seriously?! I can't believe this far into the game, that Serato would release software that doesn't play well with large libraries. Will there be an update to better manage this sort of thing? All DJ's have exponentially growing music libraries, and if I can't bring what I need to a gig, I simply won't keep the DDJ-SX. The whole point of using a computer to DJ in the first place was to slim down the need for bringing 1000s of cd's to an event. Now we've almost all switched to a full digital DJ experience, and we can't bring an extensive amount of MP3s/MP4s? Ridiculous!
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:01 PM - 12 February, 2013
Oh agreed we been moaning for ages. From the sounds of it serato need to make there software in 64bit. And dont expect that for another 8years with there time frame!

But there could be a slim chance its something else as large databases do work alot better on mac than windows.

See what serato have to say. They might even ask you to upload your _Serato_ folders to see if they get the same issue.
** DJ Bob 12:18 AM - 13 February, 2013
I am running a Mac, and the newest MBP to boot. Well Serato has yet to respond, as the clock ticks for me to return my DDJ-SX. It's just so frustrating.
Asu 1:23 AM - 14 February, 2013
Quote:
I am running a Mac, and the newest MBP to boot. Well Serato has yet to respond, as the clock ticks for me to return my DDJ-SX. It's just so frustrating.

for now,just create a few crates of your most used play lists bro,select all the tracks on that playlist in itunes and drag & drop it in the crate with same name you just created...to be honest all the playlists in your iTunes library aren't needed all the time...that's been my experience...remember to un check,load iTunes library.

otherwise the DDJ-SX @ 15lbs is quite a relief from having to carry cdjs and a mixer.at many small gigs i just grab it and 2 powered speakers :-)
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:07 PM - 24 February, 2013
Hey ** DJ Bob,

I apologize for the lack of response, it sounds like you have a few problems there, so I have a few questions so we can start trying to troubleshoot this issue.

- Are you able to use Serato DJ without the external drive connected?
- Can you open Serato DJ without crashing, if the DDJ-SX is disconnected?
- Does Scratch Live still work expected?

Thanks,

Martin
** DJ Bob 11:02 PM - 24 February, 2013
Almost all of this info has already been posted. All music & video is stored externally. DDJ unit is not plugged in on software start up. Serato DJ crashes consistantly within a few min on startup. CPU indicator runs extremely high when starting up. Software will only make it thru start up about 1 in every 20 times. I refuse to continue use of the new software at this point. Way too unstable of a product. Everything still works perfectly on regular SSL.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:41 AM - 26 February, 2013
Sorry, I did miss that information first time around.

- So can you open Serato DJ with the DDJ-SX and external drive disconnected?
- What if you untick "read itunes library" in Scratch Live, then go into Serato DJ, what happens then?
- Is all your iTunes music on the external drive too?
- Do you have any music on your internal drive as well?
- Do you have any other USB devices connected to your computer?
** DJ Bob 5:22 PM - 27 February, 2013
Everything is external. No files on laptop. Doesn't matter if itunes library is checked or not. Still crashes a lot on starting up. Tried a full re-install, with itunes library unchecked...same results. I never plug in the DDJ until/if I can get the software going. No other USB devices.

I have regular SSL installed on same laptop, and I use a TTM-57 mixer via USB w/ the external drive and all works perfect.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:59 AM - 28 February, 2013
Ok, thanks, so you can you open Serato DJ with the DDJ-SX and external drive disconnected?

Have your files all been analyzed and have you ensured to remove any files showing the corrupt files icon?

What about trying to rebuild the database V2 file on your external drive? serato.com
** DJ Bob 6:18 PM - 28 February, 2013
I feel as if you haven't taken the time to read any info I've posted here. I am a long time user and I've attempted to fix the issue using all the typical methods. No I cannot barely get the program to completely start up (like it should), with DDJ plugged in or not; with external hard drive plugged in or not; with itunes library checked or not. The CPU meter runs extremely high on start up, and Serato DJ crashes 90% of the time...on start up alone. Of course all my files are clean and analyzed. I have rebuilt database file in Serato & itunes several times. That also didn't work.

I'm hearing from other users that you cannot use a library over 300-500 gig with the Serato DJ software...Is this true? If so I have no use for it. I have a 3tb drive of music & video that works fine with SSL. Will there be any fixes for the software to work with large libraries?
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:29 PM - 28 February, 2013
Hey ** DJ Bob,

I am sorry that you feel like that, and admittedly I asked a few questions I didn't need to with my first post, but otherwise, I have read your comments thoroughly and have asked strategic questions in order for me to build a picture of your situation better, and to try and give me an indication of which troubleshooting path to go down.

I know from reading your first post you had tried a few things, but I can't see anywhere that you had mentioned specifically rebuilding the database, whether you had any corrupt files in the library (and removed them), nor did you specifically tell me if you had been able to open the software with the external drive disconnected.

Because, as you say
Quote:
All music & video is stored externally.
then removing this factor in the equation would have helped me determine that it is something related to your library, and not something on your internal drive. Without you being clear about this, I can't go through a process of elimination to identify the trouble area.

So just to clarify, you are unable to open the software at all with the external drive and DDJ-SX disconnected? If so, then it tells me there is also an issue on the internal drive in some way. We first need to get that sorted, before looking at your main library on the external.

Is all your iTunes Media also on the external drive too? Or do you have some music on your internal drive?

Quote:
I'm hearing from other users that you cannot use a library over 300-500 gig with the Serato DJ software...Is this true? If so I have no use for it. I have a 3tb drive of music & video that works fine with SSL. Will there be any fixes for the software to work with large libraries?

I couldn't say for sure an exact size of what causes this issue, but yes, with some certain large libraries, the software can have issues. Some factors are:

- Amount of files
- Amount of Crates and Subcrates
- Amount of Smart Crates

Please see this thread for further detail: serato.com

Again, I am sorry if it feels like I am not properly engaging with you, but I am genuinely here trying to help you, so I do appreciate clear answers to my questions, and even though you may have tried many of the same steps to solve this issue, it still super helpful for you to clarify certain scenarios so we can try and get to a potential solution.

Thanks.
** DJ Bob 4:50 AM - 3 March, 2013
Ok. Well thanks then for your explanation and attention to detail with my situation.

I have just one library. All files -- music, videos, etc are external. 3tb drive. Approx 25 smart lists, and 5 regular lists

Files are originally loaded to iTunes.

I have since added them via crates instead. Same mimic of smart crates & crates

This laptop is used for DJ only. It doesn't go online at all. The only non-apple software on it is serato DJ and SSL. I don't believe it to be an internal issue as everything works perfectly with my SSL set up & ttm57 mixer.

Again there is nothing stored internally on this machine except what came from mfg, and 2 serato products. Laptop specs on new MBP are in original post info.
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:58 AM - 3 March, 2013
Thanks, you have filled in some of the gaps to the scenario so I begin to understand more about your setup.

To clarify what you have said here:

Quote:
I have just one library. All files -- music, videos, etc are external. 3tb drive. Approx 25 smart lists, and 5 regular lists

Files are originally loaded to iTunes.

I have since added them via crates instead. Same mimic of smart crates & crates

You use the "show iTunes library" setup option. ALL files in your library show iTunes icons?

You have 25 smart crates, and 5 regular crates?

How many files do you think you have overall? How much of your 3TB hard drive is taken up by this data?

This is possibly a memory limitation issue, because unfortunately Serato DJ has a lower tolerance for large libraries when compared to Scratch Live. Your library might be sitting in the middle zone of, too big for Serato DJ, and small enough for Scratch Live.

Could you please answer my previous question:

Quote:
So just to clarify, you are unable to open the software at all with the external drive and DDJ-SX disconnected?
** DJ Bob 3:24 AM - 8 March, 2013
Again. The info your asking me to clarify has already been outlined in my original post. I'm using a 3tb external hard drive w/ 1tb of available space. Serato DJ software has limitations of staring up no matter if anything is connected to my laptop or not. Although it crashes more frequently w/ external drive attached - as it's reading the library. All files are originally loaded in thru iTunes (with iTunes icons). I did try to reload without iTunes as crates too. Same issues with crashing still occurs. The crate info I listed was correct (no need to clarify). I have a total if about 86k files (music & video).

At this point, The DDJ has been returned. It is a sad day, and it's not Pioneer's fault. Great product, with lack of software to fully support it for pro users.
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:26 PM - 8 March, 2013
Hey ** DJ Bob, I am really sorry to hear that.

I was just trying my best to clarify with you that Serato DJ could launch without reading any library, because the way you have described it, you ONLY have a library on your external drive, therefore there should be no memory problems if your external drive is disconnected.

However, as you say this is not the case, so I did want to determine what was still being seen in the library when the external drive was disconnected.

It always a shame if you haven't got the desired result from our software, but if you ever do decide to use our software again, please don't hesitate to get in contact with me if you need any other help. I will do my best to troubleshoot any problem you might have.

Thanks,

Martin
11:00 PM, 22 Mar 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.