Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Cdj 2000/900 as advanced hid and midi controller's in Serato Dj

AristotleDJ 9:30 PM - 19 January, 2013
It would be fantastic if you could use the Pioneer Cdj 2000/900 etc as advanced hid and midi controller's in Serato Dj and use the built in soundcards of the units. Serato Dj for could be sold as a full package for a price similar to buying the SL2 in this case.
DJSK1978 2:43 PM - 21 January, 2013
Don't they already control Serato Scratch Live?
AristotleDJ 9:06 AM - 24 January, 2013
Yes but you have to use it with a sl box so a version of serato dj with cdj 200/900 support in it would make club installs a breeze with just 2 usb leads.
WhattaMac 6:52 AM - 30 January, 2013
Umm,

Why in the name of all that makes sense would you run Serato DJ instead of Scratch Live??

Just install both on your computer (small files) and use witch ever you need.. And just to keep it straight - Pioneer CDJ 2000/900/850 (all) do NOT have the "sound card" in them, they send out "data" via USB to your computer, that's all... You need an external sound card (SL1/SL2/3/4 61/62/68) in order for them to work. Or in the case of controllers your sound card is in your controller.

What you are asking for is a "Serato DJ stand alone mixer" that would be basically a sound card and not a controller... I can't really see the point tho....
AristotleDJ 7:34 AM - 30 January, 2013
I have an old sl-1 which i use for gigs which is nowhere near the sound quality of the newer 2000's and have 2000 nexus's at home which I cannot use with any version of Serato via hid, which has forced me to use traktor and recordbox and now mixvibes cross. I much prefer the layout of Serato and would gladly pay for that priveledge.
signs 2:20 PM - 30 January, 2013
SL-1 is 10000000000 Years old :P you can't compare them
AristotleDJ 2:40 PM - 30 January, 2013
Still a version of Serato Dj to support external mixers and cdj sound output's would be great and a lot less hassle when setting up in a club lol.
SBDJ 10:11 PM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
And just to keep it straight - Pioneer CDJ 2000/900/850 (all) do NOT have the "sound card" in them, they send out "data" via USB to your computer, that's all... You need an external sound card (SL1/SL2/3/4 61/62/68) in order for them to work.

Erm no, the 2000/900/850 definitely do have built in soundcards with CoreAudio and ASIO support. They require a soundcard in SSL because SSL only supports the RANE audio devices. If used outside of SSL then you can use the CDJ soundcard just fine.
AristotleDJ 10:06 AM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Erm no, the 2000/900/850 definitely do have built in soundcards with CoreAudio and ASIO support. They require a soundcard in SSL because SSL only supports the RANE audio devices. If used outside of SSL then you can use the CDJ soundcard just fine.

Thats how I use my Cdj2000's with Traktor and Mixvibes Cross, It would be nice for a version of serato to be used like that too without the sl-box!
Daniel Ventura 1:50 PM - 4 February, 2013
for this reason i switched to Traktor, playing with Traktor and cdjs is so awesome an easy!
serato hid implementation is crap -> skipping Problem on 850/900/2ks and still NO 2knxs Support.
djnico 3:59 PM - 6 February, 2013
+1 for Cdj 2000/900/850 as advanced hid controller's in Serato Dj and the possibility to use the built in soundcards of the units.
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:27 PM - 12 February, 2013
+1 just support them with serato dj and do a "SERATO DJ CDJ" and we have to pay then all CDJs 350/400/850/900/2000/2000N all work in hid with serato DJ.

What price would people pay for that?

$129 for cheap ass controllers....
AristotleDJ 8:46 AM - 18 February, 2013
2 usb leads and away you go a la mixvibes cross!
Fel!peDj 2:20 PM - 6 March, 2013
Quote:
2 usb leads and away you go a la mixvibes cross!

+1 Mixvibes is The Software for CDJ
dj mikey d (rhythm365.com) 9:01 PM - 15 January, 2014
what serato needs to do is to get with the times i have switched to mix vibes cross not only do u need to just connect to the cdjs but also they support all of the usb ones from the 400's

why buy a sound card and unplug the mixer that should be for the people that won't let go of vinyl

why have a £1500 cdj and plug that into a sound card

nonsense

it sounds like a few people biased in here i liked serato but too much work to get going in the clubs

simple make serato a paying product and if you want to connect to cdj's without a rane sound card or free in you have a rane sound card ill jump back in when this happened

i think maybe rand are giving serato a bit of money for their sales i cannot see another reason why this hasn't happened

everyone else HAS
Daniel Ventura 11:27 AM - 16 January, 2014
when it Comes to cdjs serato is simply the wrong Software. years with the skipping bug in ssl, no possibility to use the intern soundcards with spdif, no re mapping, etc.
this was the main reason to Switch to Traktor after 8 years with serato,
Traktor works absolutely flawless with my 2000ks and i can remapp and add functions as i want to.
deejdave 1:32 AM - 20 January, 2014
That is definitely one way of looking at it and I actually can't argue with it. That seems to be the alternate side than the norm though. This is more the "OK I have two new CDJ's......... now what?". I feel the more common though (by default around here) is "OK I have been using Serato forever and I want to upgrade............... now what?" If I was looking to get the most out of my CDJ's then I would look into Rekordbox or Mixvibes etc but on the contrary I (and again by default) like most people around here are looking to get the most out of Serato.

The experience of Serato DJ (Again I say DJ as there is no reason why I would even be talking about SSL anymore as it is on its say out) with CDJ's is almost flawless. IF I was purchasing STRICTLY for SDJ then the 2000Nexus's would be overkill/silly to purchase. I am the type of guy who likes to explore ALL options so a CDJ makes sense the CDJ-2000Nexus makes even more sense capability wise. For this same reason the DJM-900SRT is the mixer of my choice. Am I using the internal sound cards from the Nexus's with SDJ NO but am I using an external sound card NO? Is the built in sound card's the easiest way to get things going. NO. In all honesty using the internal sound card in the mixer is the easiest way. It costs more but it is more effective, easier, and more dependable. With using the SRT's sound card I eliminate the RCA's and furthermore even beat out the capability of SPDIF (digital) as there is no connection like direct connection. I'm not here to sell anything but I do feel there is more to it than has been brought up so far.
deejdave 1:33 AM - 20 January, 2014
I guess I should point out the reason why I need all the firepower. I need the ability to run Rekordbox, Traktor & Serato. This setup gives me the ability to do all three natively. Even more actually but I only need the three.
WhattaMac 1:39 AM - 2 March, 2014
Can't do video with Traktor :-(. Hate Traktor GUI and Rekordbox is pretty useless for anything but a "emergency" computer fail moment. Rekordbox doesn't even have a basic auto-gain built into it... FAIL.... IMO the only people that use Rekordbox are either Pioneer sponsored DJ's or people who can't afford (or like) a decent MacBook Pro. Yeah I understand that someone could show up with only a USB stick in there pocket and be able to play - cool. But, if you knew you were going to be DJing why in hell wouldn't you bring your laptop (with the "larger than any" CDJ display) that has a real program like Serato with all the advantages it offers... Large GUI, auto-gain leveling, FX, Sample Banks, etc.

And yes I do use Rekordbox as a "backup" for an emergency but have only used it (1) time when some idiot accidentally unplugged my USB from my computer. Never had a problem, run Mac, it just works. Run Serato, it just works. Run Traktor if you like effects, or midi-fighter button pusher, but Traktor still makes WAY more sense than Rekordbox. It really is the most stripped down software on the market. Pioneer should drop Rekordbox and have Serato make them a USB based software.
deejdave 5:53 PM - 2 March, 2014
Quote:
It really is the most stripped down software on the market.

This is EXACTLY the approach they are going for actually so at least they got that right. Many of the people who use Rekordbx are DJ's and not VDJ's so the video is not needed. You are probably also forgetting that many people use their MacBook Pro's directly with Rekordbox. I absolutely use Serato as my primary but I need to have my library SYNCed between the three major DJ applications. On the contrary I now have four (as of today as I just got my new 2013 Quad core Retina 500GB SSD 16 GB RAM................YAY) MacBook Pro's and I can certainly say the lack of being able to afford one is far from the reason I got into it and having them as well as the identical library to work with certainly enhances the experience with Rekordbox. I would also remind that the fact that they are using Rekordbox suggests that they may have CDJ's and the fact that a pair of the majority of CDJ's BLOW a MacBook Pro (obviously not speaking of the higher end ones) out of the water would hint that cost is probably not an issue. That being said it will NEVER be my primary application of choice.

Quote:
Pioneer should drop Rekordbox and have Serato make them a USB based software.

Serato is becoming more & more Pioneer oriented with every release so really no need there.

Although I disagree with SOME of what you say I would say we are on the same page "big picture" wise in that we both prefer Serato over anything else.
WhattaMac 10:37 AM - 3 March, 2014
The "major" issue that I have with Rekordbox is its general lack of features. It's basically a "cue point/sample" file organizer. The no auto gain for volume leveling is just super wack. As you know (and I do agree with our "big picture") because you use Rekordbox that it really isn't even close (not even comparable) to any (including Algoriddims DJAY app for my ipad) Serato,Traktor,Virtual DJ, actual real software.

Why on earth would you (owner of a fine MacBook Pro) not want to use it at your gig? Please don't tell me because its too large or heavy to carry around...:-)

I am still sticking by my original statement, Rekordbox is only used for an oh shit moment. Btw: when some superstar DJ like David Guetta (etc.) show up to play 9 times out of ten there set is all per recorded anyway... USB stick running Rekordbox, perfect.
WhattaMac 10:42 AM - 3 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
It really is the most stripped down software on the market.

This is EXACTLY the approach they are going for actually so at least they got that right. Many of the people who use Rekordbx are DJ's and not VDJ's so the video is not needed. You are probably also forgetting that many people use their MacBook Pro's directly with Rekordbox. I absolutely use Serato as my primary but I need to have my library SYNCed between the three major DJ applications. On the contrary I now have four (as of today as I just got my new 2013 Quad core Retina 500GB SSD 16 GB RAM................YAY) MacBook Pro's and I can certainly say the lack of being able to afford one is far from the reason I got into it and having them as well as the identical library to work with certainly enhances the experience with Rekordbox. I would also remind that the fact that they are using Rekordbox suggests that they may have CDJ's and the fact that a pair of the majority of CDJ's BLOW a MacBook Pro (obviously not speaking of the higher end ones) out of the water would hint that cost is probably not an issue. That being said it will NEVER be my primary application of choice.

Quote:
Pioneer should drop Rekordbox and have Serato make them a USB based software.

Serato is becoming more & more Pioneer oriented with every release so really no need there.

Although I disagree with SOME of what you say I would say we are on the same page "big picture" wise in that we both prefer Serato over anything else.

Also, why wouldn't you just run same library on all (4) Macs, update one, update all. I do for my 4 macs.... Yes it's more work but well worth it and I get to use Serato. Not Recordbox.
deejdave 2:10 PM - 3 March, 2014
Quote:
Why on earth would you (owner of a fine MacBook Pro) not want to use it at your gig? Please don't tell me because its too large or heavy to carry around...:-)

I would NEVER not want to use my laptop at a gig which is why i reminded that the whole Rekordbox experience improves with the use of one. Furthermore I have YET to use Rekordbox without a laptop. I use my iPhone's along with my laptop but still use my laptop nonetheless. I do wich however the "on air display" was unlocked for use with other software but other than that I blieve Serato has it all over Rekordbox. It IS becoming more & more popular but TBH I am not understanding why.

Quote:
Also, why wouldn't you just run same library on all (4) Macs, update one, update all. I do for my 4 macs.... Yes it's more work but well worth it and I get to use Serato. Not Recordbox.

I never said I didn't have the same library for all. I keep two different libraries both on external thunderbolt drives. I keep my primary library SYNCed between Serato, Rekordbox & Traktor. I have no less than 4 of these HDD's on hand (only two being the thunderbolts to keep costs down) at any time so they can be used at any point with any laptop. My primary & secondary laptops have the primary library internally on the SSD's as well. My secondary library is for my main peak hour sets and is ONLY good for Serato. These dual library system proves to be invaluable when using a mixer with dual USB's which is why I am so very freakin excited about my SZ coming in in a few days.

When using Rekordbox & Traktor you simply need to use a single import file and you can import the entire library into any laptop. One library for all just like you said. The difference is my library is literally for all. Any laptop (Mac or PC), Any software (Serato, Traktor, Rekordbox, VDJ, etc.). If you want to use my library with Serato it is plug & play. If you want to use it with Traktor or Rekordbox you need to Import the necessary file (.nml for Traktor & .xml for Rekordbox) once and you are good forever (or until you update). If you want to use my library with VDJ (not sure why you would want to though) you simply turn on Serato Crate view and it is for PC only. This gets you everything.

Cue Points
Comments
Keys (analyzed by Mixed In Key)
crates & subcrates (folders & playlists for Trak & Rek)
all other tag fields
Even beat grids

all the same across the boards.

With all these capabilities and no limitations whatsoever I STILL chose to use Serato as my platform of choice.
DjHI 10:09 PM - 15 August, 2014
Guys I change my hardware a lot im a vdj and my lastest get up is 2 V7's and my rane 62 looks like serato is not going to be an option to get the most out of that setup! Ive used virtual for past couple of years as it seems to be most compatable with custom setups but its a laggy shit heap so decided to come back to serato and works great with my 12" but the v7 open urself up! So u guys really know ur way around all diffrent software any ideas? Dont want to trade the v7's in for none moving platters but is that my only option? Any help would be awsome I got a few privert shows coming up and ill need my personal rig up and starting to stress
DjHI 10:21 PM - 15 August, 2014
Guys I change my hardware a lot im a vdj and my lastest get up is 2 V7's and my rane 62 looks like serato is not going to be an option to get the most out of that setup! Ive used virtual for past couple of years as it seems to be most compatable with custom setups but its a laggy shit heap so decided to come back to serato and works great with my 12" but the v7 open urself up! So u guys really know ur way around all diffrent software any ideas? Dont want to trade the v7's in for none moving platters but is that my only option? Any help would be awsome I got a few privert shows coming up and ill need my personal rig up and starting to stres
Entro 3:57 AM - 27 December, 2014
Serato should just make all Pioneer CDJs official hardware (not "accessories"). It makes ZERO sense to have to add an expensive sound card to a CDJ setup just to unlock Serato. You don't need any other hardware to use HID mode with Traktor/Mixvibes, why not Serato?
WarpNote 8:58 PM - 27 December, 2014
As of now SDJ (and SSL before that) only support one sound interface at the time. Maybe that could be changed, I am not sure. I do agree, it would be nice to run the sound directly from the cdj's. From a business point of view, it would either mean the user would need a separate SDJ license, or Pioneer would have to mark up the players even more.
DjHI 3:34 AM - 13 February, 2015
sorry Warpnote! proof it works

youtu.be

youtu.be
WarpNote 6:12 AM - 13 February, 2015
Cool, there are also reports of other using multiple controllers at the same time, ie the twitch with ns6. (at least in itch..)

So definitively doable, however, it is not officialy supported, meaning you might as well just have been lucky, and Serato would not have done official testing/certification to ensure stability. Not saying it wont be stable though.

Again, very cool, just make sure you do extensive testing before runing such a setup on a live gig. I would also keep your current install along with the newer releases of SDJ down the line, at least for a while, just to make sure you still are able to run your setup.

Lets hope Serato one day are able to include the CDJ2000/CDJ2000NXS soundcards into the Club Kit too. Still a few clubs that run them with the Xone 92 over here.

Thanks for showing your setup DjHI, have to compliment it, looking really nice!! :D
The V7 is kinda slept on IMO, buddy of mine runs one, but only one, mostly with pio mixers..
-Warp
DjHI 9:27 AM - 13 February, 2015
Yer ur so right warp it took me like 2 months to make this setup stable I've try to reproduce it on other laptops and I can get it to work but its so far from gig ready that I rate them as total failures! I've been trying to work out what I'm missing but I can't! so if sum thing happens to that laptop I will lose it :( u got any ideas on how to back up that config so when it does crash cos that's water computer do I can get it back! Any ideas?
WarpNote 9:32 AM - 13 February, 2015
I'm strictly running macs for DJing these days, other than a system backup, no useful ideas sorry. Other than requesting multiple soundcard support from Serato that is... :-)
DjHI 9:41 AM - 13 February, 2015
Yer I couldn't belive it thats why I started trying shit still can't belive they haven't fixed it! Do u know what there gaining buy not fixing it! I've had a far few people asking me get there's going so there is plenty more people out there this effects!and before I got it working I was talking to erratic and just got no no no not possible! Well it is with my shit brain and luck so how can't they fix it? Joke? If I didn't get it working I was going to leave serato again
WarpNote 10:09 AM - 13 February, 2015
As far as I understand, there is quite a technical challenge for Serato to have several soundcards connected. I know Traktor can do it with the CDJ2000, but still seems like Native is kinda moving away from Pioneer, focusing on their own hardware for the future.

In general, I assume it comes down to managing multiple streams of sound traffic on the USB bus. Imagine having 4 cdj connected at once, not that many laptops have that many usb ports anyway. (soundcards on hubs are normally considered a bad idea...)
DjHI 10:25 AM - 13 February, 2015
How can daw systems do so many then? In can't see how so much other software can run multi cards and they can't! But spouse they have always try to make serato the smoothest system out with the lowest latency but others are doing it! They why I ask myself what do they stand to gain not moving forward?
WarpNote 11:02 AM - 13 February, 2015
Probably down to latency, I'm guessing there's quite a huge difference when it comes to DVS & HID platters, versus DAW midi control? As I said, I'm guessing, don't take that as a fact, I'm sure Serato would like to do it if they were able to.
DjHI 1:19 PM - 13 February, 2015
You would think!?
WarpNote 4:56 PM - 13 February, 2015
Yep, sure would ;-)
WarpNote 6:14 AM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
As far as I understand, there is quite a technical challenge for Serato to have several soundcards connected.

As far as I understand, this ostacle might be solved using the CDJ aggregator...?
-> www.pioneer.eu

If so, I'd love to have the CDJ-2000, CDJ-2000nexus, CDJ-900, CDJ900, CDJ-850 & XDJ-1000 added to the club kit as full sound devices in addtion to the current HID.

Can I get a "+ 1" ?
WarpNote 6:17 AM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
CDJ-900 nexus, CDJ900
fixed..
DjHI 6:47 AM - 3 March, 2015
+10
Daniel Ventura 7:30 AM - 3 March, 2015
+10000 this and remappable controls are the only things that let me use Traktor :-(
Pitchhansen 11:24 AM - 3 March, 2015
+1
Entro 4:13 PM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:

If so, I'd love to have the CDJ-2000, CDJ-2000nexus, CDJ-900, CDJ900, CDJ-850 & XDJ-1000 added to the club kit as full sound devices in addtion to the current HID.

Can I get a "+ 1" ?

+1!

So now with 1.7.4, CDJs are supported through HID-only, no Serato hardware device needed? But they still aren't categorized as compatible hardware?
deejdave 4:32 PM - 3 March, 2015
CDJ behavior is just as it was prior to 1.7.4. Some changes in behavior as in improvements but they are still OA's just as they were last week.

What he is saying and everyone +1'ed to is that he WANTS the CDJ's to be club kit devices. Furthermore what he said by mentioning the "CDJ aggregator" was that the multiple sound card issue is covered (regarding CDJ's at least) by the CDJ aggregator.
deejdave 4:33 PM - 3 March, 2015
I should specify that the CDJ aggregator is what Pioneer offers for other DJ applications to use the CDJ's as multiple sound cards for Mac devices. Not trying to imply that Serato developed it for their purposes.
Entro 4:38 PM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
CDJ behavior is just as it was prior to 1.7.4.

Ah I see, I was unclear on exactly what they meant with this: "If you only own a Serato DJ license, you will still be able to connect to Club Kit hardware and use CDJs in HID mode, or MIDI map features for use with Internal mode."

So basically you can plug in to the sound cards on the supported Pioneer/A&E mixers, that unlocks the software, then you can use CDJs in HID mode or MIDI map them. But without those mixers, you'd still need a supported device, yeah? Still nice to know I don't have to buy the DVS expansion if I just want to use CDJs with those mixers + SDJ.

But yes, making the entire CDJ line fully supported devices would be amazing.
Entro 4:39 PM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
Pioneer/A&E mixers

A&H mixers, I mean. :)
deejdave 5:29 PM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
Still nice to know I don't have to buy the DVS expansion if I just want to use CDJs with those mixers + SDJ.

You DO need the DVS expansion to use the club kit mixers. Just NOT the native mixers.

Simply put:

A&H mixers as well as Pioneer DJM-900Nexus & DJM-850 you need the club kit. Hence the name "Club Kit" mixers. The Club kit consists of the Serato DJ license as well as the DVS expansion. Even though you may not need DVS for HID devices there is still the requirement to purchase in order to use with HID devices. You have to understand that when you bought the A&H mixer or DJM-900Nexus literally NOTHING was paid to Serato so they must make money somehow on adding support to these mixers this late in the game. If you ask me this is more than fair. I personally already had the DJM-900Nexus and purchased the DJM-900SRT thinking it was necessary in order to have a supported Pioneer mixer with Serato DJ.............................. Imagine how I feel?
Entro 6:29 PM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:

You DO need the DVS expansion to use the club kit mixers. Just NOT the native mixers.

Now I'm a bit confused. By "native" do you mean Rane/SRT mixers? The way I read this part of the Beta announcement is that you don't need to buy the DVS expansion to use the Club Kit mixers:

"If you already own both of these licenses then you will be able to connect to Club Kit hardware and use DVS. If you only own a Serato DJ license, you will still be able to connect to Club Kit hardware and use CDJs in HID mode, or MIDI map features for use with Internal mode."
wadup 6:39 PM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:

"If you already own both of these licenses then you will be able to connect to Club Kit hardware and use DVS. If you only own a Serato DJ license, you will still be able to connect to Club Kit hardware and use CDJs in HID mode, or MIDI map features for use with Internal mode."

This is correct
deejdave 8:12 PM - 3 March, 2015
This is for beta only though if I am correct as they are allowing a "test period" for club kit devices. After the 14 day trial period you will need to purchase both the DVS & Serato DJ upgrade.

This is what I have been told. For all purposes this "test period" is quite confusing and if I am not mistaken there are individuals experiencing issues all around regarding the club kit devices.

In other words literally anyone who owns the necessary club kit devices will have the opportunity to use these devices for free via a 14 day trial period.

But regarding the actual continued use of these devices the purchase of both the DVS and SDJ upgrade must be purchased.

"• Pioneer DJs DJM-850 and DJM-900NXS will work plug-and-play with Serato DJ, with the one-off purchase of the Serato DJ Club Kit." serato.com

I did not realize you were asking of the trial period though and if you are YES you can use the club kit mixers without any actual purchase for a limited time. TBH I think the DVS expansion may be built into the beta (but do not quote me on this) while the SDJ upgrade may be the only real 14 day trial element.

There are elements still left to be answered and we may have to wait and see how they handle it.

Not for nothing I personally see it as a wasted to purchase the DVS upgrade if you do not plan on using DVS BUT I also understand the need for time & development needing to be paid for.
Entro 8:31 PM - 3 March, 2015
I see what you're saying now about the trial period. Thanks.

Quote:
Not for nothing I personally see it as a wasted to purchase the DVS upgrade if you do not plan on using DVS BUT I also understand the need for time & development needing to be paid for.

All I want to do is be able to use SDJ with CDJs and a mixer WITHOUT needing a separate sound card. So if I need to purchase the DVS expansion to do that, then I guess that's what I need to do.

I would be AMAZING though to just do HID with SDJ the way Traktor/Mixvibes does it: Use the soundcards in the CDJs. Two USB cables. Done.
Entro 8:55 PM - 3 March, 2015
Serato had this to say on the Beta forum:

Quote:

"So does this mean that we DON'T need to buy the DVS expansion pack if we just want to use CDJs in HID?"

Yes, this is correct. If you want to use your CDJ's in HID mode with one of these mixers, you will only need to own the Serato DJ licence. However if at any point you want to connect turntables, or use control tone, you will need to purchase the DVS expansion.

If you think you might use turntables later down the track I would suggest going with the "Club Kit", as it will be cheaper than purchasing the two products separately (when available).
WarpNote 11:37 PM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
You DO need the DVS expansion to use the club kit mixers. Just NOT the native mixers

Actually, no Dave, from what I've been told by Serato, you only need SDJ standalone, and you will able to run internal mode, with or without HID. However, if you will need the DVS expansion to feed any external audio signal from the mixer to SDJ, either to record or use for DVS.

In all honesty, the SDJ license is 129 usd, while the club kit (SDJ+DVS) is 169 usd. So it makes sense to get the full package IMO. Once you get to a club that has problems with the HID player, etc... then 40 usd is well worth peace of mind.
deejdave 3:07 AM - 4 March, 2015
Well this is all news to me. This is absolutely one of the most confusing transitions I have ever witnessed here. The above post is riddled with:

1.) Hey NDKelly,

If you already own a Serato DJ license, you will only need to purchase the DVS Expansion pack license in order to use the aforementioned mixers with Serato DJ.

From Serato Employee Eru G

2.) You will need to purchase the Club Kit to use your DB4 when it's supported in a forthcoming Serato DJ update. Your Rane SL 3 is a Serato DJ Enabled device and requires/contains no license.

From Serato Employee Samuel S

but apparently these employees are flat out wrong. I just confirmed with Serato that you guys are in fact correct. LOTS of wrong info being passed around though and Serato also confirmed that some Serato employees do not even know what is going on.

This is literally hysterical as WTF are they being called "Club Kit" mixers for if you literally do NOT need the club kit in order to use them with HID. You know that license you have to use your $250 DDJ-SB? YAH that's all you need!! LMAO

Anyways as of 9:38 PM EST Tuesday March 3rd 2015 DIRECT from Serato:
Plainly put you will NOT need to purchase the Club kit for Club kit mixers if you plan to use HID without recording. Sorry for the confusion but in all honesty I have a guess as to why they did this and why the Serato rep's were claiming this was a necessary purchase in the first place............
acemc 7:53 AM - 4 March, 2015
After all that confusion.....
+100 to the original post / request.
CDJ HID support using cdj's internal sound card = 2 x USB cables..... Done!!
WarpNote 9:15 AM - 4 March, 2015
Honestly, It's not all that complicated Dave. Club kit mixers will work internally with a SDJ license, and like a sertified Rane (62/64 etc) when also adding the DVS, in essential the club kit.

Lots of DJ's (like myself) still use control signal, either on vinyl, cd or memory stick, hooking up extra usb cables in aren't always practical. With such a small price difference for the club kit compared to the SDJ license, I know what my choice would be. Better safe than sorry.

Communication could be clearer, I agree. But for those mixers to FULLY work, users need the club kit. Also the software is still in beta, with a free trial, this way users can find their best solution themselves too. As always, research is key before purchase.

However, lets get this thread back on track.
Full soundcard support for the highend Pioneer CDJ line + XDJ-1000 players,
can we get a few more "+ 1" ?
Daniel Ventura 10:32 AM - 4 March, 2015
ist all about the usb vendor ids nothing more or less :-)
if you are familiar with spoofing them you can add any soundcard you want.
WarpNote 10:34 AM - 4 March, 2015
@ Daniel Ventura: That don't sound like something most would trust in a club?
Daniel Ventura 12:12 PM - 4 March, 2015
yes that's definitely something for playing around/hacking not for productive use.
Entro 10:53 PM - 4 March, 2015
Here's a thought: What if Serato had a paid option to unlock third party sound cards? It could be added to the kits: "Sound Card Kit" or what have you. Then your copy of SDJ would recognize third party sound cards as supported hardware. This could work as an all-in fee for all third party sound interfaces (CDJs, NI gear, etc) or a smaller fee for just unlocking one specific interface.
deejdave 3:57 AM - 5 March, 2015
You just pretty much summed up almost exactly how it works over at Virtual DJ. I think we gotta tackle the CDJ's before we go into the realms of any & all. Not saying it wouldn't be useful just one sounds feasible and the other sounds like a dream. Even the CDJ/club kit concept will burn many individuals who have spent hard earned money purchasing "necessary gear" so I feel Serato may be hesitant. I am one of those who has done so yet I am completely on board with this idea................... just not sure if all will be. Let's hope so.
acemc 9:29 AM - 5 March, 2015
I'm sure many people that purchased a 900SRT purely for DVS are already pissed.
I bought the DDJ-SX, a couple of days later SX2 was announced with DVS capability.
Sadly, that's how it goes sometimes.
Entro 4:28 PM - 1 May, 2015
I really wish Serato would make this happen. Traktor just announced more CDJ support, and djay Pro now works with CDJ-2000nxs, 900nxs and XDJ-1000. Just two USB cables and Serato would be amazing!
thejone 10:26 AM - 20 December, 2016
Yup. And this is why I still use TRAKTOR.
what a kick in the balls to all of us who have paid REALLY good money over the years for Serato hardware and software, only to be left out in the cold with HID.
That is of course you live in some fantasy world where all the venues you play in have CDJ2000NXS2's

What a joke.