Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Library: See what crate(s) a track belongs to

Marv Incredible 2:49 PM - 22 December, 2012
Can we PLEASE have an option to view which crate(s) a track resides in?

We're able to see the location of a file which is helpful, but it would be so much easier to manage collections if we could see the crates in the same way.

If the file is present in more than one crate, the crate names could just be separated by colons or commas, much like a delimited text string.

Thanks
gcastro723 6:21 AM - 26 December, 2012
+1. would be pretty neat.
Kizasoze 8:46 AM - 7 July, 2016
+1 Very neat indeed
MurdoX 3:48 PM - 8 July, 2016
+1
Res-Q 3:32 AM - 9 July, 2016
+1
we talked about this many times.
the best way is > clic on a file > all the crates containing it should light up
AKIEM 6:23 PM - 25 July, 2016
+1 many year requests
Fenix Aoras 8:25 PM - 11 March, 2018
I'm in the need of this option too.

I understand the main problem for the dev would be the multiple/sub crates. An idea of solution would be that if I select a song on my "crate track list" (ie. I click on a song), the crates on the left are highlighted if they have the selected song.
AKIEM 4:03 AM - 12 March, 2018
10+ years request
Res-Q 7:48 AM - 12 March, 2018
Bump! 10+ years indeed.
Hopefully this can be added in the new library management of SDJPro
DJMIYAGI 9:55 PM - 12 March, 2018
+1
siroc5 9:55 PM - 1 May, 2018
+1
gianlukino 6:45 AM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
+1
Berlin31 9:27 AM - 3 May, 2018
+1 This thread is already 6 YEARS old !?!?!?! Unbelievable
Re_Flex 1:08 AM - 8 May, 2018
YES! I’ve also been saying this forever! @serato any chance we might see this feature?
AKIEM 12:08 AM - 5 August, 2018
not a chance
Mike Czech 2:30 PM - 27 August, 2018
One of the many reasons I still use iTunes for crate management...
Ron Morin 6:47 PM - 28 August, 2018
+1 makes sense
Swift-o 3:49 AM - 9 November, 2018
This would be such a helpful feature and it wouldn't be that hard to implement! I'm a neat freak with my music and as such I would like to be able to quickly find what crates I've dumped my tracks into. I've got tracks that are in multiple crates!
Dj Wunder 10:48 AM - 13 December, 2018
+1 x Infinity
DJ Chris Anthony 2:00 PM - 22 December, 2018
+1 PLEEEEEESE!
Res-Q 1:46 PM - 5 March, 2019
+ 1

If you replace an old version of a song from your computer, with a better quality audio/video version for instance.

Let's say you've put that song in 5 crates, but you don't know which one. Then this feature would be very useful.

Please Serato add this feature: clic on a file in the "all" crate > all the crates/subcrates containing this file should highlight / light up
AKIEM 6:07 PM - 5 March, 2019
+1s (decade and a half)
wei2007 2:05 PM - 17 September, 2019
+1
sfalta 2:35 PM - 17 September, 2019
+1
We definitely need this!
Stephan_Berlin 6:03 AM - 18 September, 2019
+1 Great idea! And very useful!
Dj Wunder 8:35 PM - 26 September, 2019
Quote:
+ 1

If you replace an old version of a song from your computer, with a better quality audio/video version for instance.

Let's say you've put that song in 5 crates, but you don't know which one. Then this feature would be very useful.

Please Serato add this feature: clic on a file in the "all" crate > all the crates/subcrates containing this file should highlight / light up

This x infinity
AdamWhite 4:29 AM - 27 September, 2019
please please yes.
StevenRickett 7:20 PM - 27 September, 2019
Really need this too :-)
DJ Jomz 8:24 PM - 1 October, 2019
+1 I just started getting deep into Serato, and had this exact feature request in mind!
Res-Q 9:48 PM - 27 October, 2019
Bump
PFFABG 12:44 PM - 31 October, 2019
+1

This would definitely improve the library management
Res-Q 10:38 PM - 18 December, 2019
end of the year bump!

clic on a file in any crate > all the other crates containing this file should highlight
STRyk 10:40 AM - 23 December, 2019
Nice idea, it would be simple to see.
And may be an add for export on text file ?
;)
JBF 11:01 AM - 24 December, 2019
+1 Supporting this (long requested) feature request...
Res-Q 11:27 PM - 3 January, 2020
new year bump
Swift-o 2:12 AM - 25 January, 2020
bump de bump
STRyk 6:04 PM - 4 October, 2020
No hope here too.
...The end, my friend...
Res-Q 4:03 PM - 5 October, 2020
I cross fingers and pray the day Serato takes the feature suggestions seriously again....
StevenRickett 7:29 PM - 5 October, 2020
Serato really should take this request seriously: it's a feature that's been on freeware like mixxx for a couple of years and the gap between mixxx and serato continues to narrow all the time....
DJ Niels V 7:48 PM - 6 October, 2020
+1 yes please!
AKIEM 9:45 PM - 7 October, 2020
maybe in a couple more decades
Marv Incredible 4:18 PM - 23 October, 2020
I'd settle for just having the crate(s) highlighted in the crate browser.

As for how to operate it, it could be a simple case of when you select a track, it not only highlights within the track browser, but in the crate browser too.

At the moment, a crate is only highlighted blue if it is actually selected. As soon as you focus inside the crate and select a track, it turns grey. So in that respect, the behaviour/familiarity is there. All that's missing is the added functionality.

So all I'm suggesting is when you click and highlight a track inside the crate, the crate names for any crates that track appears in either highlights in blue or, to avoid any confusion, highlights in a different color altogether, in order to make it clear it is a 'ghost' reference.

Then you then could simply scroll up or down the crate list to see which crates are highlighted.

If the list is fully expanded, you'll be able to scroll and see the exact crate name. If the subcrates are not expanded, the parent crate is highlighted instead to indicate it contains the target crate. Each time you expand a highlighted parent, you will see another parent crate highlighted until you reach the final actual crate.

Not the most ideal solution, but surely possible and easily implemented, with no major changes to the existing workflow or expected behavior?

Thoughts?
StevenRickett 4:33 PM - 23 October, 2020
Perfect
Quote:

As for how to operate it, it could be a simple case of when you select a track, it not only highlights within the track browser, but in the crate browser too.

At the moment, a crate is only highlighted blue if it is actually selected. As soon as you focus inside the crate and select a track, it turns grey. So in that respect, the behaviour/familiarity is there. All that's missing is the added functionality.

So all I'm suggesting is when you click and highlight a track inside the crate, the crate names for any crates that track appears in either highlights in blue or, to avoid any confusion, highlights in a different color altogether, in order to make it clear it is a 'ghost' reference.

Then you then could simply scroll up or down the crate list to see which crates are highlighted.

If the list is fully expanded, you'll be able to scroll and see the exact crate name. If the subcrates are not expanded, the parent crate is highlighted instead to indicate it contains the target crate. Each time you expand a highlighted parent, you will see another parent crate highlighted until you reach the final actual crate.

Not the most ideal solution, but surely possible and easily implemented, with no major changes to the existing workflow or expected behavior?

Thoughts?

Perfect. That would certainly do the job for me and is exactly what I need.
AKIEM 4:35 PM - 23 October, 2020
Yes that's probably the simplest solution (so expect they do something different five or six years from now)
Res-Q 5:07 PM - 25 October, 2020
Quote:

clic on a file in the "all" crate > all the crates/subcrates containing this file should highlight / light up

Pretty simple process, why this is not implemented in serato is beyond me .....
Marv Incredible 7:57 PM - 25 October, 2020
Quote:
clic on a file in the "all" crate > all the crates/subcrates containing this file should highlight / light up

Even simpler. I like it.
AKIEM 9:10 PM - 25 October, 2020
any other software have a solution?

been asking for a solution since 1.5 or whatever
Angelo2019 9:19 PM - 25 October, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

Nice idea! I could also suggest to use a command shortcut for a selected song for doing this!
soul-doubt12 8:19 PM - 28 October, 2020
+1 on this and add a dam sort feature on the crate side, annoying when my crates get scrambled all over
Res-Q 4:49 PM - 9 November, 2020
+1
Res-Q 2:31 PM - 3 December, 2020
monthly bump
StevenRickett 3:41 PM - 3 December, 2020
I'm very much hanging on to this request!
nilre 4:31 PM - 3 December, 2020
Hip - to - the - hop - to - the - hippe-tee-hump - B U M P ! ! !
Angelo2019 7:15 PM - 3 December, 2020
We need this!
Res-Q 6:03 PM - 9 January, 2021
+1 BUMP
Can a mod merge these 2 threads ? Same request
serato.com
Res-Q 3:19 AM - 15 February, 2021
monthly bump
this feature is also requested in another therad.... 11 years ago
Jesse Ray 1:30 AM - 9 April, 2021
People like me still use iTunes because it provides a "Show in playlist" option. Let's make this available in Serato.... "Show in crate"
AKIEM 4:21 AM - 9 April, 2021
Quote:
People like me still use iTunes because it provides a "Show in playlist" option. Let's make this available in Serato.... "Show in crate"

damnit :(
after all these years, I might just have to go back to itunes...
Res-Q 5:00 AM - 11 April, 2021
dang same here....
Angelo2019 12:18 PM - 11 April, 2021
the option to check a song in which crates it is will be very useful. the problem is how this function should works, because serato does not use a "right click"menu
Jesse Ray 2:22 PM - 11 April, 2021
I think “right click” menu is another good feature for submission but Serato uses mouse overs for help tool tips. A mouse over option that can be turned on and off in the same way can be useful as a version 1.
AKIEM 7:25 PM - 11 April, 2021
Quote:
the option to check a song in which crates it is will be very useful. the problem is how this function should works, because serato does not use a "right click"menu

thats true.

one suggestion has been crates its in lighting up when the track is loaded or a button
Res-Q 9:23 PM - 12 April, 2021
Quote:
Quote:

Jesse Ray 9:40 PM - 12 April, 2021
That is great design idea.
Jesse Ray 9:49 PM - 12 April, 2021
Serato just dropped support for Big Sur and M1 30 minutes ago. Maybe there’s an easter egg. (wishful thinking)
AKIEM 5:30 AM - 13 April, 2021
people come up with super simple design on this forum all the time - dont expect it implemented...
Steveo 1:47 PM - 16 April, 2021
This would be a very helpful feature! Before deleting a track or replacing a track with a better mix or quality mp3 from my library I would like to see if it belongs to a crate.
Res-Q 5:22 PM - 16 April, 2021
Quote:
This would be a very helpful feature! Before deleting a track or replacing a track with a better mix or quality mp3 from my library I would like to see if it belongs to a crate.

This is exactly why I need this feature too :)
DJ Chris Disc 4:13 AM - 29 April, 2021
+1

At least add in which subcrate a song is in when there are subcrates in a master (root) crate for each crate only not the entire library database for now.
DJ Chris Disc 4:13 AM - 29 April, 2021
+1

At least add in which subcrate a song is in when there are subcrates in a master (root) crate for each crate only not the entire library database for now.
Res-Q 1:55 PM - 3 October, 2021
+1 anyone else?
AKIEM 4:47 AM - 5 October, 2021
Angelo2019 9:41 AM - 7 October, 2021
+1 we need this
LoLyfe 11:28 PM - 29 October, 2021
+1

My workaround has been to use the comments column and add my crate name(s) there...tedious but serves my purpose.
LoLyfe 11:29 PM - 29 October, 2021
+1

My workaround has been to use the comments column and add my crate name(s) there...tedious but serves my purpose.
Marv Incredible 1:42 AM - 30 October, 2021
Yeah. I tried that in the early days. Works fine so long as you don't need to add the same files to multiple crates. Then it becomes far too much work to maintain.

We needed this in 2012 and now it's 2021. :-/
Foolio 7:10 PM - 11 November, 2021
+100
Foolio 7:10 PM - 11 November, 2021
+100
Zhem 8:52 PM - 6 January, 2022
Oh yes +1 on this. I recently suggested a Crate column/icon for the same reason. Would be a great timesaver and indication.
S4 11:42 PM - 13 January, 2022
at this rate, Serato is never going to catch up to any competition.

Library management is a joke, it's impossible to do anything at scale. Without 3rd party tools, managing large collections is impossible. They are SO SLOW with basic bitch features, it's stupid.

It's getting stomped by Virtual DJ, Rekordbox... And both of those are getting stomped by Lexicon for actual library management, including the feature requested in this forum. I've watch a single developer take Lexicon from nothing, to by far the BEST cross platform library management tool that exists.. in like, 6 months?

This is a 1 MAN team, and he's rolling features out at an incredible pace. There's literally no excuse for a product as mature as serato to not have:

- Context based filtering
- Flexible, advanced content management tools (ratings? tags?)
- Far more configuration options to make performance meet your needs
- Basic library management tools, duplicate checks, metadata cleaning, etc
- Metadata searching online
- a more powerful beatgrid system (1 bar resolution is trash. The inability to smoothly transition over a timeframe is actually pretty sad - to be fair, most haven't solved this one yet).

I could go on all day. Time to get a more comprehensive product OUT THE DOOR, or at minimum, discuss your roadmap and plans to get things going.

What the fuck is going on at Serato? Why is this acceptable for an industry leading software provider? It isn't. It's pretty fucking sad tbh. Serato has been in this space for 20 years, and the software is still this rudamentary?

Also wtf is the performance issues with this? It's slow, resource hungry (comparative to virtual DJ, with 10x the features).
So many basic problems, all I see are new controller drivers and thats it.

RANT COMPLETE.
Res-Q 12:31 AM - 14 January, 2022
+1
you also forgot to talk about real time Stems separation...
viper9711 10:59 PM - 24 January, 2022
+1
Marv Incredible 5:24 PM - 4 April, 2024
Bump (FWIW)
DylanVE 12:02 PM - 5 April, 2024
+1 this would be really helpful.
dbh21 8:53 AM - 10 April, 2024
Bump +1