DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

A Thread To Expose The Fake DJ's Out There

BLaz 7:51 AM - 12 December, 2012
Lately I have been noticing more and more DJ's on my Facebook page that seem to have fake fans on their fan page. Several of these pages have over 1300 "fans", yet whenever they update their status about where they will be DJing or any other status for that matter, they receive no more than a couple of likes and comments on their status.

These faker's need to be exposed. Buying likes just to make yourself look better doesn't make you a better DJ, it is just delaying the time when you will be exposed as a poser.

If you have any friends on your Facebook that are clearly doing this please post the links here.
DJMark 8:31 AM - 12 December, 2012
Wondering why you started this thread but failed to post any examples...
SiRocket 11:52 AM - 12 December, 2012
im fake!
Thundercat 12:46 PM - 12 December, 2012
Stop worrying about the next guy and handle your own business.
amphidelic 1:20 PM - 12 December, 2012
Actually, no, Facebook needs to be exposed. Maybe you haven't heard about their change in policy this year that prevents your Fan page content from reaching about 85% of followers' feeds?

boingboing.net

And who's to say that DJs posting about their upcoming gigs is going to bring a lot of comments in response, anyway?
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:41 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:

This
DjPhaze01 2:43 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

This

+1
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:44 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
Several of these pages have over 1300 "fans", yet whenever they update their status about where they will be DJing or any other status for that matter, they receive no more than a couple of likes and comments on their status.

Im huge fans of alot of fan pages but why would i feel the need to like or comment on where someones playin?
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:45 PM - 12 December, 2012
Also 1300 fans isnt really alot, i have more than that on my personal page
DJ EZSMOOTH 3:18 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
And who's to say that DJs posting about their upcoming gigs is going to bring a lot of comments in response, anyway?

Right here. Just because someones a fan of your page doesn't mean their going to jump for joy everytime you say you're going to be playing somewhere (especially if it's every other day). I'd like to see how many 'likes' you get regularly on your page
d:raf 4:38 PM - 12 December, 2012
Watching people go apeshit over "likes" (or the lack thereof) amuses me.
DJ Nightmare Productions 8:01 PM - 12 December, 2012
Guy's I don't think this is what he had in mind when he started this thread! LOL #FAIL to the thread starter... now you got exposed! LOL
Dj JesC 8:17 PM - 12 December, 2012
like my status.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:22 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
Guy's I don't think this is what he had in mind when he started this thread! LOL #FAIL to the thread starter... now you got exposed! LOL

Original poster, why dont you come in and have a seat. Now who exactly is that lollipop for?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:22 PM - 12 December, 2012
SMH @ another backfired thread.....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:27 PM - 12 December, 2012
And THIS THREAD is now inducted into the Hall Of Fame....

serato.com
djnak 8:59 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
im fake!

Quote:
like my status.

Quote:
Also 1300 fans isnt really alot, i have more than that on my personal page

Yeah I'm around 5000 stopped adding people in 08 at around 600, I only get a few likes on most post....

I guess Ill have to delete so peeps and get down under 1300 if I want to be a "REAL DJ"

...started out on vdj...
DJRemixEnt 9:05 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:
And THIS THREAD is now inducted into the Hall Of Fame....

serato.com

lmao
d:raf 11:08 PM - 12 December, 2012
www.guardian.co.uk

Quote:
Like-A-Hug? The Facebook vest that gives you a hug from your friends

MIT students have designed a 'wearable social media vest' that translates every virtual Facebook 'like' into a real hug

Ever wanted more from your social media? Is all that clicking and typing not quite hitting the spot? When the momentary excitement from that vibrating alert in your pocket fades, are you left empty, hollow, wanting more?

No, probably not. But if you did, then fret no longer, because some crafty MIT students have developed a wearable extension to your social media existence that translates every virtual Facebook "like" into an actual hug. They have turned that meagre pixelated thumbs-up into a full-body squeeze.

The Like-A-Hug project is a "wearable social media vest", developed by Melissa Kit Chow in collaboration with Andy Payne and Phil Seaton, as part of the MIT Media Lab's Tangible Media Group.

The vest, which looks like a slinky black bodywarmer, is designed to inflate like a lifejacket when friends "like" a photo, video, or status update on the wearer's Facebook wall, "thereby allowing us to feel the warmth, encouragement, support, or love that we feel when we receive hugs," says Chow.
Like-A-Hug wearable social media vest Vest is best ... Like-A-Hug inflates like a lifejacket when friends 'like' something on the wearer's Facebook wall. Photograph: Melissa Kit Chow/Rex Features

The project was developed as an exercise and exploration in tactile shape display, technology that allows the sense of touch to be experienced in virtual environments, pushing the possibilities of social media beyond the conventional graphic user interface.

"We came up with the concept over a casual conversation about long-distance relationships and the limitations of video chat interfaces like Skype," explains Chow. "The concept of telepresence arose, and we toyed with the idea of receiving hugs via wireless technology."

But hugs are of course a two-way thing, so the designers have developed a mechanism by which the hug can be sent back to the sender by squeezing the garment, deflating it in the process.

While the like-to-hug conversion might seem clear enough, they have yet to expand the vest's repertoire to encompass other Facebook functions. What, for example, would the "poke" feel like – or the dreaded "defriend"? How might being "followed" translate into a sinister over-the-shoulder presence, and what would be the physical consequence of being "shared"?
Like-A-Hug wearable social media vest Warm wishes ... the Like-A-Hug vest looks like a slinky black bodywarmer. Photograph: Melissa Kit Chow/Rex Features

As Digital Trends has pointed out, this isn't the first product to offer physical contact through a digital medium. Back in April, robotics designer Hiroshi Ishiguro presented a body pillow that brings physical sensation to phone calls. The Hugvie translates the tone and volume of the person at the other end of the line into a simulated heartbeat within the squishy doll.

It's also not the first time the ubiquitous Facebook "like" has been implemented in clothing. In May, Brazilian fashion store C&A embedded a digital like-counter into its clothes hangers, tracking the most popular items from an image gallery on its Facebook page.

While the Like-A-Hug may be a provocative art project that questions our attachment to social media, the latter device could be a powerful commercial tool. But are these welcome innovations, bringing the crowd-sourced world of the internet to bear on physical reality, or ominous developments that let the likes of Mark Zuckerberg get too close to our bodily lives?
dj_soo 11:22 PM - 12 December, 2012
If you think 1300 followers on a page is a lot, you have really low ambitions...
DJ Remy USA 12:22 AM - 13 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Right here. Just because someones a fan of your page doesn't mean their going to jump for joy everytime you say you're going to be playing somewhere (especially if it's every other day). I'd like to see how many 'likes' you get regularly on your page

I get maybe a few likes depends on the party if its big or if just hey I'm spinning here come chill which it is most of the time
DTweed 1:24 AM - 13 December, 2012
FYI - I work in advertising and the average response rate for FBi s about 2% and only a small percentage (typically 15%) of your fans actually see your post.

Example if you have 100 fans at most 15 of them seen the message in their feed and if you get 1 reply you are considered to be on par with their response rate so I wouldn't necessarily say they are fake.

Shit i'm a real DJ with about 100 people which i would say 80 of them i know personally and only get 4-6 responses
DTweed 1:28 AM - 13 December, 2012
oh yeah fella since this thread is f...cked just like my FB get me up to 1300 lol

www.facebook.com
dj_soo 3:05 AM - 13 December, 2012
Well while you're at it, like my page too:

Www.facebook.com
SiRocket 6:16 AM - 13 December, 2012
check out my girlfriends go-go page too! www.facebook.com
d:raf 6:19 AM - 13 December, 2012
4mydawgz 2:00 PM - 13 December, 2012
facebook is weird. i dont understand how they stream updates. It's like they filter it.
Dj Nyce 7:09 PM - 13 December, 2012
lol @ backfired
Laz219 10:16 PM - 13 December, 2012
Quote:
facebook is weird. i dont understand how they stream updates. It's like they filter it.

Essentially they do, anybody who's profile you've commented on, looked at, tagged a photo of or similar will be given higher priority over people you don't often interact with.
Although looking at my newsfeed this morning, it is filled with posts by people I don't know because somebody in my friends list has commented on it. So essentially it's just full of people I've never even heard of.

If anyone remembers this,
www.djmag.com
I remember another article questioning her number of facebook followers because she had something like 40,000 yet nobody seemed to have even heard of her.

Whether that was true or not, I can imagine it being a common practice when a lot of businesses are switching to facebook as their primary marketing.
I think a lot of companies look at the 'like' button as good marketing as people tend to highly regard a friends opinion on a product or service.
I used to work in Sales and people would pretty much buy any product their friend said was good, even if they could get something better for cheaper.

I guess a lot of companies think the 'like' button is the online equivalent of that. Which to me really doesn't make sense considering most people hardly know half their friends list, plus most people just click like on things without much thought.
I see endless competetions of "share this page with friends, whoever get's the most people to like this page" style that they must consider it really important.
DJ Reflex 1:55 AM - 14 December, 2012
What is this Facebook you speak of?
Ros The Don 3:10 AM - 15 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This

+1

I Concur, DJs will be DJs regardless of 'phonies' with fanpages