Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

DDJ-SX - No Sound Output on any channel, master or headphones

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Ajay Raw 2:24 AM - 15 November, 2012
I just received my DDJ-SX serato DJ controller. I installed the Serato DJ 1.0 software on my 15" macbook pro (i7 with 8GB ram) running Mac Os 10.8.2

When I run the Serato software with the DDJ-SX plugged into the USB port and powered on, the software recognizes the DDJ-SX and shows the 4 decks on screen. I can use the controller to control the software, play stop tracks, scratch etc..

HOWEVER, no sound is outputted to the master or headphones (I have checked levels, input select switches all set to PC etc). in fact the channel level leds on the DDJ-SX do NOT show that there is any music coming in even when there are tracks playing on all 4 decks.

What is strange is that even on the Serato DJ software next to the MASTER volume knob, the master levels show 0 output even though the master volume knob is at 50% or more. (Please see screen shot below)

Please help me with this as I was so excited about this product only to realize it does not work. I have a gig day after tomorrow and really need to get this sorted out.

BTW: I have also reinstalled the software, restarted the mac, switched usb ports, power cycled the controller

Ajay
2:26 AM, 15 Nov 2012
Ajay Raw attached a file: Screen Shot 2012-11-14 at 10.11.40 PM.png
View· Permalink
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:29 AM - 15 November, 2012
You need to turn up the Master volume on the Software :)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:29 AM - 15 November, 2012
Master volume on the software and ddjx are not linked together
Ajay Raw 2:31 AM - 15 November, 2012
Thanks for the response, but I already did. had it at 100% even but the levels next to the knob on software were at 0. wils the track levels on software were normal and bouncing.
2:32 AM, 15 Nov 2012
Ajay Raw attached a file: Screen Shot 2012-11-14 at 10.11.40 PM.png
View· Permalink
Ajay Raw 2:34 AM - 15 November, 2012
I don't know if you can see the attached screen shot. I attached it but tested opening it, but didn't get through. Can you open the attached screen shot?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:36 AM - 15 November, 2012
Turn up the track gain also? next to the virtual decks?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:37 AM - 15 November, 2012
cant see the attachment
Ajay Raw 2:39 AM - 15 November, 2012
Dunno why, I uploaded it. you can see it on ge.tt
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:44 AM - 15 November, 2012
i see it now.
That is weird... All four tracks shows its playing but the Master Level is 0

Thats way beyond my pay grade... lol

I am in front of my ddjsx and try to figure that out.
Sorry i could not help :(
Ajay Raw 2:50 AM - 15 November, 2012
hahaha. Tell me about it. I appreciate you taking the time. Are you also using a Mac? Its like it cant channel the sound to that controller or something.

I have winXP running in a virtual machine, on my mac. I think I will try to install the win version and test it there to see if it is a mac issue, or a hardware issue.

If you think of anything else, please let me know. I am right here.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:36 AM - 15 November, 2012
I have both PC and Mac I am using PC right now, But it worked on my Mac last nite.

Im sure the Serato team are already awake, finishing their dozen donuts and will help ya.
4:12 AM, 15 Nov 2012
Ajay Raw attached a file: Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 12.04.16 AM.png
View· Permalink
Ajay Raw 4:12 AM - 15 November, 2012
Ok some more info. I went into the mac's Audio Midi setup to see what the DDJ-SX looks like in there and found something interesting, it shows:

Master
DDJ-SX MASTER OUT L
DDJ-SX MASTER OUT R
DDJ-SX PHONE L
DDJ-SX PHONE R

ALL WITH LEVEL SLIDERS TO ZERO VALUE. I have a feeling it has something to do with this, but IT does not let me change the slider values to increase them.

Check out the screenshot at link below. Can you see if your settings are the same? Just search for audio midi setup in Finder. Thanks.

ge.tt
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:28 AM - 15 November, 2012
Same settings. I cant move the sliders.

Did you upgrade the ddjsx firmware? Go to pioneerdj.com . There is a firmware that needs to be installed. Maybe that might help
Ajay Raw 4:15 PM - 15 November, 2012
I installed the firmware as well. Still no go.

Where is Serato Support on this? =(
Ajay Raw 1:50 AM - 16 November, 2012
Ok at this point I am a bit worried. Installed Serato DJ on the wife's mac book running 10.6 to see if it was my mac's problem and still had the same results. master levels on software were flat at 0, levels on controller 0 with no sound on head phones or master out.

I even switched out the USB cable. Still have not heard from Serato Support. I am thinking this is a hardware issue. =( Would hate to ship this baby back.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:05 AM - 16 November, 2012
Can you try just the SeratoDJ software without the ddjsx hooked up?

Also try the DDJSX by it self as a stand alone mixer?

We can make this work! LOL
Ajay Raw 2:24 AM - 16 November, 2012
OMG!! WE are in business!!!! you are the man... I plugged in my denon on ch3 switched from PC to CD input, sound came out just right, then I went back to PC and its all working. all 4 decks and the mater on the serato DJ.

I don't know what freaky think was going on, but going manual, did the trick. Thanks for stoking it out with me bro. really appreciate it!! Lets hope it stays up. =D
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:28 AM - 16 November, 2012
Yes that was weird.

Mine fired up the first day i got it.
Glad it worked.
Now go check the Audio Midi Setup and just the Audio setup in the preference area.
Maybe it will show some sort of changes that made it work?

I'll send you the invoice for my service LOL
Ajay Raw 2:34 AM - 16 November, 2012
Yes Doc please do send me the invoice!! =) Really weird stuff. BTW: nothing changed in the audio midi settings, just checked.

I almost wonder if needed some signal to go through it. Because I already messed with the input select switches before. God knows! Thanks though, not time to go see what this baby can do!