Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

MIDI Re-mapping To Main Controller

[O/][iii][O/] 10:33 PM - 5 November, 2012
MIDI re-mapping to main controller, not just mapping to auxiliary MIDI devices.
Futuretek 10:49 PM - 5 November, 2012
Quote:

+1
dgh-dj 2:45 AM - 6 November, 2012
Quote:

+1
Pete Input 10:14 AM - 7 November, 2012
+ 1
Nachkebia 11:46 AM - 7 November, 2012
+1
Bunyip 12:28 PM - 7 November, 2012
+ 1
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:10 PM - 7 November, 2012
ONLY +1 If it has MIDI OUT So we can make the buttons light up when they should!!!
dgh-dj 4:35 PM - 7 November, 2012
I'd make do with anything right now!
viper9711 6:26 PM - 7 November, 2012
+1
dj-nice 10:27 PM - 9 November, 2012
+1

or at minimum make additional (e.g. shifted) mappings for main controller
fingas 2:56 PM - 29 November, 2012
+10 because this sentiment is spread throughout a bunch of other posts and threads.
Kristian Valdini 9:40 AM - 1 December, 2012
Quote:

+1

K
fingas 3:56 PM - 4 December, 2012
I am adding links to these posts on this thread because all of the posts would be addressed by enabling MIDI mapping.

MIDI Mapping to Main Controller = 12
serato.com
Pitch Bend Mapping = 9
serato.com
FX Button Re-mapping = 5
serato.com
Wish List
serato.com

Since Serato has said they plan to do it, it would be great to have a projection from them as to when we might see this feature.
antlover 11:33 PM - 4 December, 2012
+10 I would pay money for a open, without borders midi mapping (similar to that of Traktor). But not more in 2015!!!
yeahdef 11:42 PM - 9 December, 2012
+1
thebulge 12:04 AM - 8 January, 2013
+1 ... not that I have serato DJ for my 380 yet, but I'd like to reuse the FX section on the 380 for something and use my VFX for FX instead.
Boombox 12:28 AM - 8 January, 2013
+1 - Probably the single most important improvement in SDJ!

Let US, THE USERS, decide what is best to our needs!
fingas 3:20 PM - 14 January, 2013
Any update on this?
Not_Sean 1:30 PM - 21 January, 2013
+1 ! !
DJSK1978 2:46 PM - 21 January, 2013
+1 Um yeah!!! This would let us fix so many issues on our own. I could map my own quantized hot Cues if could remap the cue buttons to automatically hit sync after each cue is fired. Would be uber helpful.
acemc 11:17 PM - 24 February, 2013
+1
[O/][iii][O/] 3:37 AM - 25 February, 2013
Seahawks 7:33 AM - 28 February, 2013
+1
dawg1306 5:14 PM - 3 March, 2013
+1 , WOULD BE GREAT IF WE COULD !
dawg1306 5:15 PM - 3 March, 2013
Quote:
+1 - Probably the single most important improvement in SDJ!

Let US, THE USERS, decide what is best to our needs!

AGREED
acemc 7:51 PM - 3 March, 2013
+1
BCast 2:19 PM - 4 March, 2013
+1
Bozo 4:00 PM - 6 March, 2013
I think this will be an exclusif features of the NS7 II
(the "manual" section)
beisi 8:31 AM - 7 March, 2013
+1
vladimir prieto 3:32 PM - 29 March, 2013
+1000000000!
skrachnbass 7:48 PM - 29 March, 2013
+1
Roy Levi 12:21 AM - 30 March, 2013
+1
dj lashes 5:00 AM - 30 March, 2013
am in +1
dj sartzetakis 9:02 AM - 10 April, 2013
+1
DJ Trice 12:08 PM - 11 April, 2013
+1
Ronald RayGun 11:10 AM - 21 April, 2013
My biggest disappointment with serato DJ so far! +1
[O/][iii][O/] 1:25 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:

I've lost track of how many disappointments we've had.
Ronald RayGun 1:32 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Dont say that! I've actually considered moving to Traktor at least until this all gets ironed out.
[O/][iii][O/] 1:42 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dont say that! I've actually considered moving to Traktor at least until this all gets ironed out.

Can't say I blame you. Baffles the mind the mind how/why Serato chose to cripple their flagship platform designed as an upgrade replacement to ITCH by stripping out a whole laundry list of critical features ITCH had. Two steps forward, two steps back. Makes one wonder how much the developers really know and understand the needs of their customers.
acemc 7:37 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
Makes one wonder how much the developers really know and understand the needs of their customers.

And if they actually even care.
Ronald RayGun 9:52 PM - 22 April, 2013
I've just peeled the serato DJ overlay off my vci 400 and stuck the traktor one straight on! See you in a few months when things are ironed out!
[O/][iii][O/] 11:39 PM - 26 April, 2013
The main LPF/HPF controls on the DDJ-SX sound so horribly abrasive, and unfortunately, for whatever bizarre reason they were made so that their parameters can't be adjust so they are useless. Please Serato, either make the main LPF/HPF controls' parameters user adjustable (how they should be) are open up the damn MIDI mapping so we can re-assign them to the iZotope effects LPF/HPF where parameters can be adjusted. Pretty please... with sugar on top.
Boombox 12:02 AM - 27 April, 2013
Quote:
Please Serato, either make the main LPF/HPF controls' parameters user adjustable (how they should be) are open up the damn MIDI mapping so we can re-assign them to the iZotope effects LPF/HPF where parameters can be adjusted.

A no brainer to any controller with dedicated filter (not only ddj sx). I can't even begin to imagine why Serato did choose not to include it from the get go.

It seems very easy to sort out:

Settings: Filter knob controls

[ ] Hardware HPF/LPF
[ x ] iZotope HPF/LPF

User chooses which one.

Simples...

Why have (arguably) superior effect taking extra knob and doubling what you already have when you can just assign it to your dedicated knob?!
[O/][iii][O/] 4:28 PM - 27 April, 2013
It's stuff like this that keep me constantly wondering if any of the developers are actual DJs themselves or ever bother to consult those who are.
Bozo 5:28 PM - 27 April, 2013
Quote:
It's stuff like this that keep me constantly wondering if any of the developers are actual DJs themselves or ever bother to consult those who are.

There are, Serato ITCH was supposed to be an app with a total Soft/controler integration to form a single and simple all-in-one package, they consulted us and add midi mapping (inter alia...) moving away from the initial philosophy. Don't get me wrong I wish I had a complete midi mapping tool with midi out, the bridge, timecode... or a lot of crap features (no needed, therefore vital)... but if you like anything in Serato and all you want is what traktor has to offer ... I'll let you draw your conclusions.
Frederic Choppin 10:03 PM - 1 May, 2013
+1
would be very kool
Dubbl D 3:07 AM - 2 May, 2013
+1

mods: what say you?
thebulge 6:08 AM - 12 August, 2013
serato.com

Here's my quick and dirty solution. There are mappings somewhere... free them.

Bring them out of the binary. Give us no documentation or support... let us hack away and figure them out, even if they are just a big blob of xml. Totally don't support anything we do to them... but let us tweak them if we are brave and/or stupid.

I would love a x-fader reverse on my 380... let me break it.
vladimir prieto 11:38 AM - 12 August, 2013
sometimes i feel hate, sometimes i feel love with serato. things like this are usually seen on dictators governments, and Serato is not too far away from this.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:51 PM - 12 August, 2013
Hey guys

Just wanted to drop by to let you know we are hearing what you're saying. To be perfectly honest, I totally get what you are saying and wish we could somehow make fully modular, re-mappable software/hardware setups this afternoon. For a number of reasons though, this just isn't going to happen right now... and no, I can't speculate on when, or even if, it will happen.

What I want to say here is that we hear and understand your requests and that it all goes into the mix when we are making decisions. Definitely keep coming at us with constructive feedback (including criticism :) and we'll listen. Just try not to get too mad if we don't build everything you ask for.

Cheers
thebulge 10:50 PM - 12 August, 2013
I think perhaps you need a poll / voting section in the forum to put an end to endless threads. Close off polls that are duped in the feature discussion sections.

I am totally down with my above solution... it's the quickest, dirtiest route to what everyone wants. Hackers want to hack, Serato doesn't want to support said hacking.

serato.com

I am sure all the mappings are in plaintext somewhere before they get compiled away into the binary... just separate them out and leave us with a big "you're on your own" button.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 11:47 PM - 12 August, 2013
Quote:
I think perhaps you need a poll / voting section in the forum to put an end to endless threads. Close off polls that are duped in the feature discussion sections.

This is something we have discussed and we do have plans for how the forum and feature requests are handled. Nothing specific just yet, but we are working on this kind of thing behind the scenes :)

Quote:
I am totally down with my above solution... it's the quickest, dirtiest route to what everyone wants. Hackers want to hack, Serato doesn't want to support said hacking.

serato.com

I am sure all the mappings are in plaintext somewhere before they get compiled away into the binary... just separate them out and leave us with a big "you're on your own" button.

Haha, yes! I totally get it, but unfortunately not possible at the moment. Keep asking though :)

Cheers
Not_Sean 6:37 PM - 2 September, 2013
I'm just blown away here by everyones Loyalty to Serato. I moved onto it when i got my twitch.

Its a sick program but wow still cant believe that this feature is not there. Just look at sites like DJTechTools Who have a whole mapping section for people to share and promote their creations and what they can do with their hardware+software combos..
Dubbl D 5:22 PM - 3 September, 2013
Agreed, if Serato's not going to open it up so that we can tweak the interface to our needs I feel they need to do a better job of responding to feature requests. I for one am really regretting my purchase of SDJ. Though I keep trying to make it work, I've also moved on to a competitor's software (works great) and I'm not expecting any miracles from this forum anymore. It's sad though, because I really do prefer Serato... maybe someday they'll get it together.
DJCY 10:11 AM - 3 November, 2013
Yes, this should be in the next release.

I would like to remap my NS6.
musiclee 5:06 AM - 5 October, 2014
Thanks deejdave

This is same request I made on my thread
Didn't mean to start new thread, but did not see this one

Please Serato, I need to remap a Reloop Neon or a Pioneer SP1

It's time !!!
musiclee 5:09 AM - 5 October, 2014
Almost 2 years since this thread started, still waiting. :-(
deejdave 1:29 AM - 6 October, 2014
I am 1000% for this. THIS would solve issues that people don't even know they have yet.

I feel there should be a VERY clear and simple button to default back to the factory presets so when things get messed up but other than that this should absolutely be put into motion!!
Riko Roos 8:47 AM - 6 October, 2014
Even if I added my 2 cents to another 'open mapping' thread, here is my:

+1
musiclee 12:38 PM - 6 October, 2014
Deejdave

Thanks for agreeing with me just once. Lol.

Please consider Serato
Your devoted customers have waited long enough
It's the least they deserve!!!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:13 PM - 6 October, 2014
Hey guys

Just to be clear, it would be a significant decision to do this and it therefore doesn't really sit in the list with other feature requests. Having said this, I'll bump it with the products team at our regular catch-up to see where their thinking is at with it.

Cheers
Aaron
deejdave 11:13 PM - 6 October, 2014
ABsolutely agree this is in a whole different league and that is what makes it so important. This would put the whole Serato workflow at a whole new level as well. Thanks Aaron for any progress no matter how minimal.
musiclee 1:51 AM - 7 October, 2014
Aaron

Appreciate your efforts
Waiting and hoping
LoopBeatzz 6:14 AM - 8 October, 2014
+1
vladimir prieto 3:24 PM - 12 October, 2014
Quote:
Aaron

Appreciate your efforts
Waiting and hoping

+1
musiclee 1:41 PM - 13 October, 2014
One thing is for SURE
The demand is there, and it's not just a few of us!!!
acemc 4:16 PM - 3 November, 2014
Taken from the DJWORX website:
"Ever since the Rane Sixty-Four came along, I’ve been using both Serato DJ and Traktor, unable to pick a clear winner between the two. But there is no question at all which is currently the better program for DJs with a controllerist approach to performing – Serato is still way behind on the whole MIDI mapping thing. Controllers like the NS7II are a lot of fun to use, but with Serato DJ everything only ever comes pre-mapped – so “plug’n play” also means “our way or the highway”
If that doesn't tell a story then nothing will - WAKE UP SERATO!
Charge a bloody fee for it if you have to, but please just do it already.
musiclee 6:43 PM - 3 November, 2014
Aaron, you said:
"
I'll bump it with the products team at our regular catch-up to see where their thinking is at with it."

has the "catch-up" happened yet? any good news?
The Funk Society 3:59 PM - 4 November, 2014
+1
DJ Arries 4:22 PM - 4 November, 2014
+1 !!!!!!!!!!

I still am waiting for updates to Effects LED's not working correctly with the DDJ-S1?!

Wil Serato ever fix it?

whitelabel.net

Quoted words from an Serato employee on that thread:

"2. In Multi effects mode. The FX light does not blink.
-- We are aware of this and hope to have it resolved in a future update."

Serato if you don't have the time etc. to fix stuff, let us try and do so?
WarpNote 7:51 PM - 4 November, 2014
+1
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:50 PM - 5 November, 2014
Hey guys

I have had a catch up about open mapping and I can say that there is definitely support for the idea.

Before I raise your expectations too much though, this comes with the very real disclaimer that we don't currently have a plan as to whether, when, or how exactly we would implement this.

Frustrating I know, but that's the best I can do at the moment. It's a tricky decision to make for a number of reasons (commercial, technical, and support) so we would have to do it properly, which means it will take some time.

We are listening though!

Aaron
vladimir prieto 8:55 PM - 5 November, 2014
Quote:
We are listening though!

this is, maybe, the most important thing for a customer.

thanks
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:55 PM - 5 November, 2014
Quote:

Yeah sorry DJ Arries, this one is still in the backlog. I'll have a look into how likely it is for us to get this fixed soon.

Cheers
The Funk Society 8:56 PM - 5 November, 2014
Quote:
Hey guys

I have had a catch up about open mapping and I can say that there is definitely support for the idea.

Before I raise your expectations too much though, this comes with the very real disclaimer that we don't currently have a plan as to whether, when, or how exactly we would implement this.

Frustrating I know, but that's the best I can do at the moment. It's a tricky decision to make for a number of reasons (commercial, technical, and support) so we would have to do it properly, which means it will take some time.

We are listening though!

Aaron

Great to hear, thank you!
acemc 10:31 PM - 5 November, 2014
I try picture this being brought up at Serato's round table.
Aaron: "Hey team, we've been getting loads of requests to open our midi mapping"
Team: "Hell, that'll take a shit load of work! Tell them we'll think about it"..."Right, so maybe we should change the colour of played tracks now, it's been long enough now, blah, blah"
....... a year later.
Aaron: "Hey team, those guys are asking about the mapping again"
Team: "Geez, Can't those idiots take a hint? Tell them were talking about it"
......another year from now.
Aaron: "Hey team, what about the open midi mapping, it's been like 3 years"
Team: "Damn, I guess we can't ignore this forever. Tell them it'll take some time......
Maybe a year or so!"

Quote:
We are listening though!

Sadly, this seems like a regular once a year response just to shut us up.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 11:04 PM - 5 November, 2014
Hahaha, close, but not quite. Thanks for making me look so good :)

It's definitely not that we want to shut you guys up - far from it. Like I was saying above, it's a tricky implementation for both business and technical reasons and therefore takes thought and planning from different parts of the company. We aren't averse to doing this at all, it's just that there is a queue of projects of this scope and larger.

We will get there guys, big thanks for your patience.
The Funk Society 8:00 AM - 6 November, 2014
@acemc Being a software developer myself with hundreds of thousands of people using the software my team develops, it's never easy for the end user to understand the issues that "get in the way" of features being developed.

There's always quick wins such as changing the colour of a cue point that people often say "why do that when we all want this really cool big feature". Generally that kind of stuff takes 5 minutes and has little impact on other systems and therefore it's a no brainer. You want to keep improving the product, no matter how small the steps are. Normally you'll have multiple teams, some working on big long term features, while others work on the little polish items. The progress of the "Big Feature" team isn't affected by the polish team... and you definitely want both types of improvement, always chipping away at the little annoying things while the big features come along every few months.

I'm a recent Traktor convert and do miss the midi-mapping features however, I don't miss irregular software updates, easy access to betas and a forum where the company hardly ever interacts with it's customers. When I switched to Serato I knew what it did out of the box and that's what I was happy to pay for. Continual updates are great and in my mind a bonus. If a feature I was hoping for doesn't make the next update, that's life... fingers crossed for the one after that.

Serato will have their road map, most of which will have been formed by customer opinion, and I'm sure this is on it. We just need to be patient...
The Funk Society 8:02 AM - 6 November, 2014
* Post above was meant to read, limited access to betas :-)
DJ Arries 8:48 AM - 6 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah sorry DJ Arries, this one is still in the backlog. I'll have a look into how likely it is for us to get this fixed soon.

Cheers

Cool thanks for the reply :)

Appreciate it.

Cheers
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:04 AM - 7 November, 2014
No problem DJ Arries, I'll let you know when I've got more info.

Without revealing any secrets, FatalFunk's description is pretty accurate :)
djprose 3:50 AM - 28 April, 2015
+1 for this!

Using the new DJ Club Kit with my DJM-850.

I'd love to be able to set those fader start buttons and mic knobs on midi.
djprose 6:18 AM - 29 April, 2015
Hopefully this request falls into the "big feature" category. Based on the overwhelming outpouring of support for this request, this isn't a small "annoying" thing.

I'd really like to see this in the next update.
VictorMike 11:30 AM - 5 July, 2015
+1 for this :)