DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato DJ vs. Scratchlive

DJ Tecniq 9:01 PM - 3 November, 2012
I'm pretty dissapointed in how the layout of Serato DJ looks compared to Scratchlive. I'm just really diggin the layout/colors of Serato DJ. I was just curious if Scratchlive will ever get a new look similar to Serato DJ. The layout of Serato DJ just seems more cooler. Scratchlive has been the same since it first came out. I'd love to try serato dj but I don't have a controller I use turntables/mixer so im stuck with scratchlive for now. But damn the company keeps making Scratchlive look bad compared to all these other softwares. Just my thought. Anyone else agree...
asthmatic 9:12 PM - 3 November, 2012
I agree with dj nyce. It seems like serato dj is superior with the midi/core audio stuff.
sotosoul 1:22 PM - 1 July, 2013
I'd disagree with you, guys. Scratch live's UI is really well-designed and uses better font and colors. Verdana font is quite easy to read, as opposed to the arial font used in both Itch and DJ!!!
DJ Remy USA 2:58 PM - 1 July, 2013
I used Serato DJ for the fist time this weekend at a gig. It was almost like I was on SSL but had a lot more things to play with.
slimmjimm 3:23 PM - 1 July, 2013
Quote:
I used Serato DJ for the fist time this weekend at a gig. It was almost like I was on SSL but had a lot more things to play with.

+1

I was really surprised when I used it. It helps to be used to the overall GUI of SSL obviously, but it feels like they placed stuff in all of the right spots and made it bigger (nm).

A few things I did NOT like however, was the cartoonish look of the color code and video file icons. I did like that the color code was larger than just a small circle.
skinnyguy 6:53 PM - 1 July, 2013
they should make the fonts selectable....to like...comic sans...or something =P
Johnnynights 7:10 PM - 1 July, 2013
As a scratchlive user after using serato dj i feel like it is better with the things it has i really taught scratchlive should have the better stuff since its the standard and the main one but looks like im wrong.

Kind of sad but i do feel like scratchlive is getting left behind.
Champy 6:35 PM - 26 August, 2013
i used Serato Scratch live for the first time this weekend.... it felt as is if i was using some thing quite primitive. I learnt to mix using SeratoDJ and in my honest opinion it feels way more smoother especially elements such as pitch bending and pitch adjustment are not as as responsive as in SeratoDJ. This caused my mixing speed to dip significantly .... Any thoughts?
skinnyguy 6:48 PM - 26 August, 2013
On digital or analog decks?
Champy 7:08 PM - 26 August, 2013
i assume its digital for the SSL....was using a SL1 box... with 2 cdj 1000s
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:12 PM - 26 August, 2013
Quote:
i used Serato Scratch live for the first time this weekend.... it felt as is if i was using some thing quite primitive. I learnt to mix using SeratoDJ and in my honest opinion it feels way more smoother especially elements such as pitch bending and pitch adjustment are not as as responsive as in SeratoDJ. This caused my mixing speed to dip significantly .... Any thoughts?

Cool story bro!
skinnyguy 7:15 PM - 26 August, 2013
What controller did u learn on? Are you still using that controller now?
Champy 7:20 PM - 26 August, 2013
ddj- s1 with seratoDJ yes
Laz219 10:10 PM - 26 August, 2013
I would expect that is simply timecode vs direct mapping for responsiveness in those things.
dj_soo 10:40 PM - 26 August, 2013
I hate playing scratchlive on cdjs - definitely seems to be a bit of lag that I don't get from turntables.
Champy 10:42 PM - 26 August, 2013
Quote:
I would expect that is simply timecode vs direct mapping for responsiveness in those things.

By the looks of that is the big difference.... Direct Mapping is soo much quicker but i am having a problem copping with this loss of speed..... for it is not all the time i would want to take my s1 with me
Laz219 10:44 PM - 26 August, 2013
CDJs with HID....problem solved.

I've rarely played on CDJs with SSL- when I do though, The only thing that stands out is the luxury of once something is beatmatched, it stays there.
Champy 11:03 PM - 26 August, 2013
What do you use?
DJMark 12:40 AM - 27 August, 2013
Quote:
i am having a problem copping with this loss of speed..... for it is not all the time i would want to take my s1 with me

Practice mixing with real records for awhile. That will certainly help.
Laz219 12:43 AM - 27 August, 2013
Vinyl 98% of the time, CDJ800mk2s the rest.
djsmuve415 1:01 AM - 27 August, 2013
Quote:
I hate playing scratchlive on cdjs - definitely seems to be a bit of lag that I don't get from turntables.

This. I grimace every time I see those & no turns. And I'm not a big fan of CDJ's with HID either, too many issues. Now carry my controller everywhere with me and been using that with SDJ... never thought I'd see the day, but oh well, gotta go with the times I guess.
DJ Remy USA 5:40 PM - 27 August, 2013
Quote:

you gotta be trolling
DJ Remy USA 5:41 PM - 27 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

By the looks of that is the big difference.... Direct Mapping is soo much quicker but i am having a problem copping with this loss of speed..... for it is not all the time i would want to take my s1 with me

Ive had zero issue mixing fast on scratch live.

Ive had more issue mixing fast in seratoDJ because Im afraid I'll hit a wrong button. It feels like operating a spaceship versus driving a car.
Champy 3:54 AM - 28 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ive had more issue mixing fast in seratoDJ because Im afraid I'll hit a wrong button. It feels like operating a spaceship versus driving a car.

No!.... i am dead serious....... it feels different and i am sure i am not the only one to feel this way... there is a lag compared to seratodj
DJ Unique 4:31 AM - 28 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No!.... i am dead serious....... it feels different and i am sure i am not the only one to feel this way... there is a lag compared to seratodj

Lag where or how exactly?
I press the buttons on my 62 and it's instant same as the 57.

The only time I get lag is when I try scratching then I realize that my hands sucks at scratching.
Champy 4:57 AM - 28 August, 2013
Like when i adjusting the pitch i will put to like plus 5 and it takes awhile to react and when i stop at the desired number it still moving!
DJ Unique 5:02 AM - 28 August, 2013
Quote:
Like when i adjusting the pitch i will put to like plus 5 and it takes awhile to react and when i stop at the desired number it still moving!

Impossible on SSL unless if you have defective turntables or CD players.
When I speed up my turntables or CD players SSL is exactly on point.

Please post a video to see exactly what you are experiencing.
DJMark 5:31 AM - 28 August, 2013
Quote:

Are you using something like the Numark TTX turntables?

I've used them and there is a bit of pitch-control hysteresis.

With Technics the response is more or less immediate.
haze324 2:19 PM - 28 August, 2013
He's just talking about the difference of using timecode vs. a controller. Pitch in once controls the speed of the record or disk, pitch in the other controls the computer. There is a second of difference at most.

For those who regularly play on 1200's it's natural to us (same as riding the pitch), with a controller it's instant and honestly sometimes not as fun.
haze324 2:20 PM - 28 August, 2013
Adding to that, SDJ has gotten pretty damn good. The new Izotope effects sound good as well....and STILL I enjoy playing with SSL, a DJM, and 1200's. Much more "life" to it.

I think if the both end up merging though it will be good for all parties.
DJ Unique 1:10 AM - 29 August, 2013
Quote:
He's just talking about the difference of using timecode vs. a controller. Pitch in once controls the speed of the record or disk, pitch in the other controls the computer. There is a second of difference at most.

For those who regularly play on 1200's it's natural to us (same as riding the pitch), with a controller it's instant and honestly sometimes not as fun.

I never see a so-called second of difference in the pitch.
If it truly was a second then SSL would suck and no one would buy it.
haze324 2:13 AM - 29 August, 2013
There IS a difference between using CDJ's in HID vs timecode. You cant argue or deny that. Same as using SDJ vs SSL with timecode. Has nothing to do with SSL vs SDJ.
DJ Remy USA 4:03 AM - 29 August, 2013
I have no clue what you all are saying.

There is no real difference to how the pitch responds. There is a difference between digital and analog pitch but not a big enough difference to where it should affect how to mix.
DJ Unique 6:20 AM - 29 August, 2013
Quote:
I have no clue what you all are saying.

There is no real difference to how the pitch responds. There is a difference between digital and analog pitch but not a big enough difference to where it should affect how to mix.

Exactly.
I just don't get what the heck they are saying.

Maybe what they mean is that in SDJ you adjust the hardware pitch slider and the digital slider moves instantly. When using timecode this change will not happen until signal is read.

Other than this, the difference is negligible because you adjust the pitch slider as you start preview the next track in your headphones.
Laz219 7:15 AM - 29 August, 2013
That's how I understood it DJ Unique- I figure if you're used to turntables you wouldn't even notice it since turntables don't instantly react, even when not using timecode.
dj_soo 10:38 AM - 29 August, 2013
For me, it's more the cuing the cd that feels not as responsive as vinyl
DJ Remy USA 1:55 PM - 29 August, 2013
Quote:
For me, it's more the cuing the cd that feels not as responsive as vinyl

agreed I dislike cueing on CDJs Ive heard with pratice and some time on the wheels of plastic you can get that feeling somewhat. I still carry my tables around to each gig and I play on CDJs only when swamping gear is unfeasible.
BERTO 8:08 PM - 29 August, 2013
slip mode on sDJ is sick ssl needs it
DJ Remy USA 8:53 PM - 29 August, 2013
Quote:

what is slip mode
Jensen Määäm 10:35 PM - 29 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

what is slip mode

Watch the vid: Watchwww.youtube.com

You can use it on the CDj 900, when you play real music only, not whjen you are playing time code or in HID modus.
Jensen Määäm 10:41 PM - 29 August, 2013
...with the latest update they integrated the slip mode function in SDJ...
serato.com
Champy 3:24 AM - 2 September, 2013
Quote:

This is exactly it!.. spoke to a few other DJs who used both softwares regularly and they said the same thing.....Direct Mapping has a quicker response versus time code especially if you set/ match the bpm before you begin mixing
DJ Remy USA 11:15 PM - 2 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

This is exactly it!.. spoke to a few other DJs who used both softwares regularly and they said the same thing.....Direct Mapping has a quicker response versus time code especially if you set/ match the bpm before you begin mixing

Sounds like you guys are looking at the screen to mix rather than your ears. There is no difference in beat matching. The motor on a technic responds to pitch changes almost instantly. The response on midi controller is robotic in nature but still response almost immediately.

I am not sure what you all are getting at.

Question the guys who are saying there is difference can you mix without the computer? If so then you should not be having problems with pitch response. Each system works a little different however midi or timecode respond just as they should.
skinnyguy 6:48 PM - 3 September, 2013
Perhaps they could try mixing on cdjs with CDs. Response will be just as immediate and accurate with no wow and flutter of vinyl turntables. Just to see if there is a difference.
haze324 9:40 PM - 3 September, 2013
It's just new school technology.

I'm 35, started DJing when I was in high school in the mid 90's.....I can mix two vinyl records with no issues. I do agree though that if you don't know how or never have and your first experience with DJing is a laptop and controller, then using a set of 1200's and SSL is a more cumbersome process. For example on a controller you move the pitch slider and it changes on your laptop screen without a record or CD moving to read the timecode -- It just happens. With a set of 1200's you have to cue your record and adjust......for most on this forum (and myself included) those few little extra steps is what is most enjoyable when playing in SSL. I know I find less of a "connection" with SDJ and Traktor and ultimately not as fun. Having said that, yes there is a difference between the two.
Djaward 9:54 PM - 3 September, 2013
Maybe Serato is trying to phase out SSL and start pushing stuff that needs to paid for like Serato DJ.

I dont want to believe that but thats what it seems like. Im still on SSL 1.9 because I dont feel like the upgrades are that major.

Whats up with that Serato?
Laz219 10:08 PM - 3 September, 2013
There's been a heap of change since 1.9-->2.5, what exactly would constitute a major change to you?

We all expect eventually SDJ and SSL are going to merge into one.
ChrisKinsella 5:43 PM - 22 February, 2014
There is definitely some sort of Lag in SSL on some of the features when using CDJ's (not advanced HID). I honestly wouldn't have bought scratch live if I knew it would have been like this. Try looping on the timecode cd's in absolute mode. Takes me a good 30 seconds longer to get my loop accurate than it used to on standard cds. Not played on SDJ enough to say if there is a difference though but apparently I saw today you can use it with the RANE sl2?
somanystyles 4:47 PM - 18 May, 2014
I started off on vinyl in 1990. I never switched to CDJs and only went digital when Serato came out. I still use tables with SSL and agree that CDJs by their very nature seem to lag when cueing up. Whenever I'm at a gig with just CDJs, I prefer to use my internal mode over the CDJs. That being said, I'm just hearing about SDJ. Is SDJ for controllers only?
pdidy 5:01 AM - 19 May, 2014
Quote:
I started off on vinyl in 1990. I never switched to CDJs and only went digital when Serato came out. I still use tables with SSL and agree that CDJs by their very nature seem to lag when cueing up. Whenever I'm at a gig with just CDJs, I prefer to use my internal mode over the CDJs. That being said, I'm just hearing about SDJ. Is SDJ for controllers only?

I use 1200s, cdj's and controllers and my cdj's don't lag and nor should yours. you may want to get that looked into.

SDJ is for controllers, turntables and cdj's.....They have all merge into one program.
WarpNote 4:31 PM - 19 May, 2014
Quote:
I use 1200s, cdj's and controllers and my cdj's don't lag and nor should yours. you may want to get that looked into.
pdidy, have you tried the CDJ-850s in HID?
pdidy 5:35 PM - 19 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
pdidy, have you tried the CDJ-850s in HID?

yes but with time code not hid
WarpNote 10:55 PM - 19 May, 2014
I did run 850s in HID with SDJ the other day, and they do lag.
Mr. Goodkat 11:04 PM - 19 May, 2014
i used HID with an x1 and cdj 2000s and ssl and it seemed to send messages to ssl, that really freaked it out. luckily i had the early spot and i just played in internal
WarpNote 11:35 PM - 19 May, 2014
For the 2000 it could have been the old firmware? its known to mess up SSL....
pdidy 1:06 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:

Define lag ?
Do you lag with time code ?
eugguy 11:30 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
For the 2000 it could have been the old firmware? its known to mess up SSL....

Most likely. I use the 2000s with hid nooooo problem.
GoHoos 1:35 PM - 20 May, 2014
Topic has been beaten to death, but... Not only is the SDJ layout cartoonish and busy/cluttered, the software is garbage. It doesn't seem to be playing nice with CDJs (HID or timecode) or turntables, and I refuse to buy a cheap plastic controller as the control center of my livelihood.

Let me ask you this, SDJ/controller DJ's... what are you going to do if the controller *OR* computer craps out--or even just freezes for a few minutes? You've got 2 different pieces of equipment that can shut down your performance completely if *either* of them fail. That's simply not an acceptable situation when this is your livelihood, and I can't believe that many of you deal with it on a weekly/daily basis.

With SSL, CDJ2000nexus players, and a sixty-eight mixer, not only am I using real, professional grade products (lower chance of failure), but if my computer fails, I keep a full 32GB SD card in my CDJ (exported from Rekordbox) and I can essentially switch to playing from the SD card seamlessly. My clients would never even know that my computer failed/froze.

I realize why Serato did this... there's only so many DJs willing to spend $2-3k at a minimum for a Rane mixer & CDJs or turntables when the competition is winning all the new DJ business with $3-500 controllers. But IMO they're losing the professional market to the competitors who haven't compromised (like Pioneer).
DJ Quartz 6:57 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:

Even with 1.6.3??

Me personally, I'm using DVS and a NS7FX combo.

I'm having a lot of fun, I'm just waiting to upgrade my dvs hardware and I'm making the full switch on the DVS side and retiring Scratch Live.

I'm almost there, it's just that I have 57's for my studio and road setups. A fellow DJ borrowed me his SL4 since he has a 62.

In the studio it's a 57 + SL4 + Maschine for DVS or NS7FX which is fun.

I started using this the DVS setup live as well and it has been rock solid for me thus far. I've used SDJ + NS7FX for various live events when I need a smaller setup or the environment isn't good for tables.

The SP1 arrives today and I'm hoping that can replace the Maschine controller because I would like to leave it at home but have the same functionality plus the SLICER is enticing.

I know people are having difficulties and I hope that they get resolved.

I just wanted to share a positive experience, and I'm having a lot of fun.
DJ Reflex 12:17 AM - 21 May, 2014
SSL is it for me. Personally, I have no ambition to buy a new mixer - I'm happy with 57 and video capabilities. Besides that, I still use my turntables and my clients will never know the difference anyway. So why spend the money on new stuff when I hear a lot of issues coming from SDJ?
DJ Quartz 1:56 AM - 21 May, 2014
Well if you're just looking at it from the clients perspective then it wouldn't matter.

But when you're using it for the studio and other types of performances, there is a difference.

Especially when you're using a DVS setup and Controller based setup.
4mydawgz 2:04 AM - 21 May, 2014
I tried out Serato DJ using my SL3 Box. The layout feels cluttered. And the audio tracks withe the thunderbolt go out in Serato DJ, but they play all the way in SSL. I'm trying to get used to SDJ kuz I feel that's where Serato wants to go. Might as well get used to it.
DJ Quartz 2:15 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
And the audio tracks withe the thunderbolt go out in Serato DJ,

??
DJ Quartz 2:15 AM - 21 May, 2014
You mean the corrupt files?
4mydawgz 3:47 AM - 21 May, 2014
Yea thats the word i was looking for. I had just woke up.
DJ Quartz 3:57 AM - 21 May, 2014
Corrupt files can cause erratic behaviors, there's no way to predict what will happen when you use them.
DJ Tecniq 7:36 AM - 21 May, 2014
I'm waiting for them to say...Guys we failed with serato dj so were gonna concentrate on supporting scratch live again... :) That'll be the day.
Joee 12:55 PM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
I'm waiting for them to say...Guys we failed with serato dj so were gonna concentrate on supporting scratch live again... :) That'll be the day.

never going to happen, serato is making money licensing the software for so many brands/controllers

were before they made money from rane
DJ Quartz 12:59 PM - 21 May, 2014
+1

If you want them to still be around, this....

What I don't understand is, Serato never held a gun to anyone's and say YOU MUST use Serato DJ.

It's actually the inverse, they want to make a singular platform and are hoping people use it and report back so they can get it right for everyone.
skinnyguy 3:07 PM - 21 May, 2014
Vdj 7.4 vs vdj 8 is going thru pretty much the same pains as the scratchlive vs serato DJ camp.
Mr. Goodkat 9:24 PM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
+1

If you want them to still be around, this....

What I don't understand is, Serato never held a gun to anyone's and say YOU MUST use Serato DJ.

It's actually the inverse, they want to make a singular platform and are hoping people use it and report back so they can get it right for everyone.

they said they were discontinuing support next year, most people are proactive in their use of technology, therefore some people, including myself, switched, because of the reputation and history of SSL.

Also, its the program all new controllers use. So how are they going to use SSL with a controller? So they must use serato dj if they are going to use a new controller.
DJ Quartz 1:16 AM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:
Also, its the program all new controllers use. So how are they going to use SSL with a controller? So they must use serato dj if they are going to use a new controller.

This is also true, for Serato to be able to do this financially and technically it was inevitable.

I use both DVS and NS7FX, I hoped this is the direction they were going and was pleasantly surprised when I switched over.
dj_soo 5:44 AM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:

DJ does run much better on controllers it seems. That said, I'm still on 1.6 as that's the last stable-ish version from them imo... 1.5.3 was better tho but I like pitch n time...
eugguy 7:58 PM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:

Points to that comment right there. ^

I am so happy that I am not the only one who feels this way about SDJ. I felt like I was one of the first to say that SDJ is sub-par, possibly below par for any professional DJ application. The layout, the way they try to sell you effect packs, the views, the functionality is just plain amateur. Damn it! Go back to supporting SSL!
DJ Tecniq 9:53 PM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Points to that comment right there. ^

I am so happy that I am not the only one who feels this way about SDJ. I felt like I was one of the first to say that SDJ is sub-par, possibly below par for any professional DJ application. The layout, the way they try to sell you effect packs, the views, the functionality is just plain amateur. Damn it! Go back to supporting SSL!
i just feel they tried to create a all in one application but are far from getting there. When it comes to stability Scratchlive is better. To me I just thinks it more solid than SDJ is at the moment. But ppl will buy into whatever serato tells them to. When it comes to being a professional Dj. You want what's best. Carry on
AKIEM 10:01 PM - 23 May, 2014
pro+ amateur= amateur
DJ Quartz 10:16 PM - 23 May, 2014
Serato DJ = Scratch Live 3

If they would have called it that, Earth would have blow up.

If SSL is still working for you use it, if you want to use SDJ is new so you will have feel the growing pains.

Scratch Live circa 2004, that's been a long damn time.
dj_soo 11:47 PM - 23 May, 2014
I think SDJ will get there eventually - it's just not there now. Sticking with SSL for the forseeable future...
skinnyguy 4:47 PM - 24 May, 2014
it was bound to happen. why spread yourself thin going back and forth between 2 different projects when you can concentrate fully on one? like how inklen is only on one platform. and mixvibes combined their stnadalone video software into cross.
AKIEM 5:01 PM - 24 May, 2014
Then again there is the don't put all your eggs in one basket theory
Jensen Määäm 5:02 PM - 24 May, 2014
Quote:
Then again there is the don't put all your eggs in one basket theory

Serato said, it's too much for them to carry 2 baskets full of eggs...
They'll get it straight, it just needs more time...
AKIEM 5:13 PM - 24 May, 2014
More time like Serato video.
Hope so.
DJ Tecniq 7:17 PM - 24 May, 2014
Quote:
More time like Serato video.
Hope so.
exactly. They'll be so occupied tweaking serato DJ to put serato video on the back burner like they did before. History repeats itself👌
DJ Quartz 10:55 PM - 24 May, 2014
Guys they just released an update with 1.6.2, so I doubt it's going to be left behind.
dj_soo 9:08 AM - 25 May, 2014
they're on 1.6.3 now
Johnny.S 9:45 AM - 25 May, 2014
Really trying to use serato DJ but that Sh$$ is so buggy crashed several times with my rane 62 mixer
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:58 PM - 25 May, 2014
Hey Johnny24,

Have you been in touch with the support team to find out what's wrong? We can help out - serato.com

Sam.
sl1200 5:27 AM - 26 May, 2014
SSL works on almost any laptop. I can only get SDJ to work on my
sl1200 5:27 AM - 26 May, 2014
MAC
DaveVerne 12:53 PM - 12 November, 2015
I have both Scratch Live and Serato DJ. I use with two x technics turntables and a mixer, but CDJ's when I play out. I found scratch live is the more solid and proffesional of the two I haven't really taken to serato dj yet I didn't like the loop function as when I was looping from the begging of the track the track kept jumping back on me which annoyed me, and there lots of things that aren't in the same place im used to, i don't know if this is just me.
DJ Quartz 4:38 PM - 13 November, 2015
Left Scratch Live in the dust awhile back personally. Moving forward...
WarpNote 4:39 PM - 13 November, 2015
The reverse loop bug should be sorted out though...
DJ Tecniq 6:06 PM - 13 November, 2015
I have heard of the loop skipping. Was this fixed in 1.8 if not I'll stick to Scratchlive for gigs I can't have this happening.
DJ Quartz 7:49 PM - 13 November, 2015
I call it the scratch loop bug, if you scratch close to the end point of loop it jumps out of the loop randomly.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:51 PM - 13 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Define lag ?

Yeah Id like to know this as well because Ive had some decent scratch djs use my 850's in HID mode and they were impressed. They thought it was as tight as using time codes and Im using a 2011 MBP with a DJM 850 set at 2ms with PnT on.

Note this was just audio so maybe its a little different with video but I doubt it.
PopRoXxX 7:54 PM - 13 November, 2015
Quote:
Left Scratch Live in the dust awhile back personally. Moving forward...

This!

Only 1 1/2 months till 2016. Hope all the hardcore/never changing SSL users have their tissues ready.
Mr. Goodkat 7:55 PM - 13 November, 2015
what happens in 2016?
eugguy 8:04 PM - 13 November, 2015
SSL still rock solid. No need to ride rainbow. SDJ is great when I use it with an AMX or controller, but I still can't separate from SSL when using CDJs and 1200s. Just too user friendly, simple and functional. I admit, I have always been a SSL fanboy, and I am hearing much better things about SDJ in general, but really....there is no benefit at this point in moving over to SDJ.
PopRoXxX 8:08 PM - 13 November, 2015
Quote:
what happens in 2016?

All support for SSL and it's hardware ceases
Mr. Goodkat 8:17 PM - 13 November, 2015
i thought they did that in 15? i assume at some point it just wont work with new OS,but it seems like if you have an older computer and sl card its should work fine.
PopRoXxX 8:21 PM - 13 November, 2015
It'll still work if you never update again. For sure!

But El Capitan has already shown that it breaks SSL and it's hardware (OS wise) and Serato/Rane won't be updating SSL drivers or software to fix it.
DJ Quartz 8:24 PM - 13 November, 2015
^ True

But if cats are using older hardware they still have the original SSL option at least.

Updates on Scratch Live ceased at the end of 2014.
PopRoXxX 8:26 PM - 13 November, 2015
Quote:
But if cats are using older hardware they still have the original SSL option at least.

That's what I was saying with this -->

Quote:
It'll still work if you never update again. For sure!

lol
DJ Tecniq 8:29 PM - 13 November, 2015
I'm getting used to SDJ but my god the sample player looks like a bunch of clutter...please clean that up. Hopefully in an update
DJ Reflex 1:09 AM - 14 November, 2015
I'm stuck with SSL because of my TTM 57 mixer. Love my setup and the feel I've created. I tried SDJ on a buddy's system and found the screen too cluttered with icons and stuff I don't need. No dis to SDJ, but just not for me. I'll ride it out until something major breaks... no need to upgrade.
Phuture2 7:00 PM - 14 November, 2015
SSL is the way to go. One word "STABLE" for me.
deejdave 2:25 AM - 15 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
what happens in 2016?

All support for SSL and it's hardware ceases

This was indeed until 2015. youtu.be

"Scratch Live Support Until 2015"

But as mentioned here and in video SSL will be available for DL even after.
Quote:
exactly. They'll be so occupied tweaking serato DJ to put serato video on the back burner like they did before. History repeats itself

Priorities I suppose. I have a feeling even Serato knows if you do video ME is the way to go as it is even considered a third party expansion pack serato.com
PopRoXxX 9:29 AM - 15 November, 2015
Quote:
"Scratch Live Support Until 2015"

Agreed 100%! But I was giving the whole year of 2015 for all the SSL users that will "never switch" lol
WarpNote 11:27 AM - 15 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Define lag ?

Yeah Id like to know this as well because Ive had some decent scratch djs use my 850's in HID mode and they were impressed. They thought it was as tight as using time codes and Im using a 2011 MBP with a DJM 850 set at 2ms with PnT on.

Note this was just audio so maybe its a little different with video but I doubt it.

TBH, I made that comment about a year ago. So I dont really remember the details anymore.
I did have issues with HID latency using them, scratching did not feel as precise as regular noise map, and the CDJ displays were stuttering. Could be down to firmware/computer setup I suppose?

Since then, I normally use timecode at that venue with the 850 players. Not experiencing "lag", normally running 2ms or 5ms.

I might give it another go, but I'm getting accustomed to running just one usb from the DJM (club kit), the other from my DDJ-SP1, no hub needed. Quick and easy setup, less stuff to carry/loose/break. I like to keep my setups as easy as possible.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:14 AM - 16 November, 2015
ScratchLIVE (SSL) died 15 July, 2013 as that was the last ever update.... Serato left it up untill 2015 to provide a new version but never. We now going 2016....
DaveVerne 7:24 PM - 13 May, 2016
I have both all my updates go to serato dj, but still i much much prefer Scratch Live, why change a winning formula?

Also i tried recording a mix on serato dj the other day hour down the line it didnt even record all i got was mono tone so annoying, when i did the exact same in scratch live it recorded, no idea what happened there
dj_task 8:24 PM - 19 June, 2016
hi, back about half a year ago i tried sdj again, i've been a die hard scratchlive user since its infantry, i however do check in on sdj periodically just to see/hear its progress.
bells and whistles comparison aside, i always "felt" ssl sounded better.. almost more transiant and natural compare to sdj.. which gave me the impression that sounded "calculated" and less musical in comparison.
does anyone else felel this way?
however, now that ssl is 3 years old, although it hasnt caused me any issues but at some point in the near future it will.. one of my current delimas is switching to el capitan and computer upgrade, in which means i can only use sdj.
i'm wondering if someone experienced, with a good set of ears, can chime in here please..
has sdj caught up now? with stability and sound quality where ssl left off?
thank you very much.
DJ Remy USA 3:01 AM - 20 June, 2016
why are you upgrading to El Capitan though?
dj_task 3:28 AM - 20 June, 2016
certain models of new macbooks only comes with capitan, and cannot install older os.
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:50 AM - 20 June, 2016
Quote:
certain models of new macbooks only comes with capitan, and cannot install older os.

not true, the last hardware revision was may 2015, there are new ones in the works but not released yet
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:52 AM - 20 June, 2016
that is if your talking about macbook pros, the last revision of the macbook was april and looking at the specs i wouldn't use it for SDJ
dj_task 10:55 AM - 20 June, 2016
I'm talking about the new macbook 12", which tried 6 months ago with sdj, ran fine and stable with cpu/memory read out same as using my 11" air with ssl.
however this is not a convo about what os comes with what computer..

again,
i'm wondering if someone experienced, with a good set of ears, can chime in that if they feel sdj has caught with stability and sound quality where ssl left off?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:55 AM - 20 June, 2016
Quote:
I have both all my updates go to serato dj, but still i much much prefer Scratch Live, why change a winning formula?

Also i tried recording a mix on serato dj the other day hour down the line it didnt even record all i got was mono tone so annoying, when i did the exact same in scratch live it recorded, no idea what happened there

You were able to record in ScratchLive but not Serato DJ?
DJ Reflex 3:10 AM - 12 July, 2016
I had to use SDJ again on Sunday for corporate party. Not impressed. The lag of the waveforms was horrendous and there just seemed to be a delay in every function from searching to track loading. I know it wasn't PC specs (my buddy is an expert on his machine performance) so I'm guessing it was just SDJ not working as smoothly as I'm used to in SSL.

He was asking me if I liked his Pioneer controller. I said "Yes, it's fine and I like the layout, but I'll never go to a controller over TT's and I won't use SDJ." Just not for me I guess. Some people like monster trucks... others like sports cars.
DaveVerne 11:16 PM - 24 February, 2017
I'm a lot more familiar with SDJ now, and i'm used to it over scratch live tbh, my problem with recording was i didn't have rec set to channel 3 on my laptop lol. The only problem I always have with SDJ is when i loop songs,

if i'm pushing a track in and looping it at the same time from where i start mixing//push it in, with sdj sometimes the loop just goes 8 bars before or after, it's like i have to keep fiddling about with it till it's right, where as with Scratch live it would just loop as soon as i clicked it, really annoys me sometimes