Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

BPM display with mixmeister bpm counter

ftin 12:26 PM - 19 September, 2004
I am using mix meister bpm counter to get the bpm for my mp3s and have noticed that if i get a bpm of say 89.80 ssl will display 89.

Is there a way to make it round up or round down?

I do not think it will be a good idea to display the 2 decimal places because then you would have hundreds of different bpms listed.

At the moment i just change the tag my self so it is no big issue but just a suggestion.
Couin 4:22 PM - 19 September, 2004
ftin, are you at 0,99 BPM precision ?

Even if Miwmeister calculate BPM with good precision (for me), I use BPM in SSL to know fastly , wich song could be mixable with actual song.
Is the actual playing song is @120 BPM , I know a next song for example @121 BPM will be mixable.
SSL is not ofr automix, there is nevertheless a deejay work.
Couin
ftin 5:20 PM - 19 September, 2004
Yes that is exactly what i use it for and i would imagine every one else does, i think you missed my point.

What i am saying is if the bpm is "121.99" then ssl will display "121" when it is a lot closer to 122. So when you say you have a song at 120 and you want to mix it with one at 121, that song might actually be 122.

Quote:
SSL is not ofr automix, there is nevertheless a deejay work.

I am not new to mixing and looking for some thing to mix for me, I got my first decks when i was 13 and i am 24 now. This was just a suggestion.
nik39 5:37 PM - 19 September, 2004
Its not really necessary to round up or down, because either way (rounding vs. cutting of decimal digits) makes the bpm imprecise in the range of 0 to 0.99 bpms. Explenation:

1st way (rounding up/down)

73.5 -> 74
74.4 -> 74

Both bpms are 0.9 off to each other, but end up being the same displayed

2nd way (cutting of decimals)

74.0 -> 74
74.9 -> 74

Again both are 0.9 off, but have the same bpm displayed.

Now what I find annoying is that SSL adjusts the bpms, it changes the bpm tags of the files. I would like to see one decimal digit precision, and I allready explained in a different thread why (havin tracks with the same instrumental being grouped etc.)
ftin 5:49 PM - 19 September, 2004
LOL . I didnt think of that. Good point!

Thanks.
DJ 3pm 7:21 PM - 19 September, 2004
i think it was stated in another thread (i'm too lazy to search for it, as are you), that the bpm truncating will be removed in v1.2 of the software and rounding will be used instead. good point though nik39, they are both equally useless.
techonenyc 3:21 AM - 29 September, 2004
hello all. first post.

speaking of mixmeister. i do find it's a great tool too. with tons of new songs out there, it's a great tool to figure out where songs go in the mix. i agree, u can fix it in the mix so rounding up or down is no biggie.

but why is it that mixmeister fixes the id3 tag in mp3s adding the bpm, and serato doesn't pick it up? u still have to modify the ssl bpm column manually. and like u guys say, ssl rounds the bpm off, then changes the same id3 tag. if serato knows where to modify the id3 tag, shouldn't serato just pick up the bpm tag that mixmeister sets up? it would definitely save alot of time.

summer's over guys. chics will be wearing coats soon wherever you spin. :(
techonenyc 3:27 AM - 29 September, 2004
no need to post answer, just found solution in other thread...

... deleting the database file and modifying the id3 tags...

this FORUMN ROCKS!!!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 10:37 AM - 29 September, 2004
Quote:
summer's over guys. chics will be wearing coats soon wherever you spin. :(

not in New Zealand ... it's just warming up!
techonenyc 4:29 PM - 29 September, 2004
WHOA,,,
i forget this is international... -freaks me out-
would be great to be flown to dj where it's always hot... enjoy ur warm weather, and warm weather dressed ladies -oooh la la-

local spots' house equipment are cd players,,, terrible for cueing up,,, hell to get beats matched cause there are no near field monitors, so bpm'ing your muzic is the only way to get through the night without having a nervous breakdown... can't use serato because dj's spin in shifts, so u usually follow someone else... no time to hook it up.
pgroves 4:55 PM - 29 September, 2004
Quote:
WHOA,,,
i forget this is international... -freaks me out-

I'm from England...

Paul
Serato, Moderator
AJ 12:13 AM - 30 September, 2004
Quote:
but why is it that mixmeister fixes the id3 tag in mp3s adding the bpm, and serato doesn't pick it up? u still have to modify the ssl bpm column manually. and like u guys say, ssl rounds the bpm off, then changes the same id3 tag. if serato knows where to modify the id3 tag, shouldn't serato just pick up the bpm tag that mixmeister sets up? it would definitely save alot of time.

Version 1.2 has a button in the setup screen marked scan tags. This button causes scratch live to recheck all the tags in all the files in your collection and update our cached database of tags. Version 1.2 is in beta testing at the moment, and will be released to the public when testing is complete.