DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane TTM57 - Modification - FlexFX [2]

AKIEM 2:35 AM - 12 September, 2012
trying this again

youtu.be

The foot-switch on the TTM57 was a great idea. But it lacked one crucial function, that is the ability to trigger the FlexFX. This would have allowed you to scratch and simultaneously open the effects gate. In my opinion this would be the natural function of a foot pedal - applying effects to the channel.

What I did was add a third 1/4" input to the front panel. This allows a foot-switch to trigger one or the other FlexFX channels.

If this were implemented on the TTM57 I believe the foot-switch would have been much more widely used. I believe the reason the foot-switch was not more widely used is that the functions that it does control are somewhat clumsy to control with the foot and needing more precise triggering thus being better suited to be triggered by the other switches. The effects on the other-hand have room for a little error. Something akin to the pedals on a piano controlling the 'effects' - not triggering notes.

If I am not mistaken, the FlexFX on the 62 is still unable to be externally triggered (I simply do not understand why, its a great oversight if you ask me)

Steps in my thinking:

1. I conceived it back in '95 when I recorded a song song with scratch chorus. I used a one shot delay on the mixer output while I recorded instead of during mixdown. I did this so I could hear the delay while I performed. But there was not a way to easily replicate this effect during the performance.

2. I made this suggestion here back in '06 serato.com I was disappointed that the TTM57 did not offer post fader effects by design, lucky there was the 'aux-work-around'. Secondly the FlexFX switches seem to be outside of whats programable and could never be controlled by the footswitch or made momentary with an update.

3. Although constantly disappointed with the limitations of the FlexFX switches, and I did not want to drill the hole, I waited for the next mixers 61/62. Disappointed that the footswitch was removed completely I decided to do the mod eventually.

4. I had an issue with a loose ribbon at a show, opened it up the next day to fix it, and decided to take the opportunity to do the modification. It took about four hours.

Please keep this thread mostly on topic. There is no reason to discuss my education, employment, clean criminal record, political views, income, status, race, sexual preference, attitude, religion, and or etc in this thread.
DJ Reflex 3:17 AM - 12 September, 2012
Nice mod - did something similar to a light controller of mine.

Quote:
Please keep this thread mostly on topic. There is no reason to discuss my education, employment, clean criminal record, political views, income, status, race, sexual preference, attitude, religion, and or etc in this thread.

BTW - This is all the good stuff! LOL
pvk 4:41 AM - 12 September, 2012
nobody here is probably interested but have you tried the mod on an original TTM56 Akiem?
Dax 5:07 AM - 12 September, 2012
in video how are you toggling from flexfx 1 and 2 at around 1.06 ?
WarpNote 6:08 AM - 12 September, 2012
GREAT WORK Dr. Akiem!
I'd love to have a 4 button pedal for the 68 fx, one for each channel, 2 states, either toggle on/off, or on while held down. Add to that, a volume type pedal (eg like a regular wah wah pedal) controlling the dry/wet on the 68. That would be the ish!!
AKIEM 9:05 AM - 12 September, 2012
Quote:
nobody here is probably interested but have you tried the mod on an original TTM56 Akiem?

No, I havnt tried it on the 56, but I am almost certain it could be done.
(with external effects unit of course)
AKIEM 9:08 AM - 12 September, 2012
Quote:
in video how are you toggling from flexfx 1 and 2 at around 1.06 ?

Im just clicking both buttons at once.

Originally my middle button would trigger both, but I disabled it because I kept hitting two switches at once.
AKIEM 9:14 AM - 12 September, 2012
Quote:
GREAT WORK Dr. Akiem!
I'd love to have a 4 button pedal for the 68 fx, one for each channel, 2 states, either toggle on/off, or on while held down. Add to that, a volume type pedal (eg like a regular wah wah pedal) controlling the dry/wet on the 68. That would be the ish!!

thanks WarpNote,

That would be dope. ultimately I think the FlexFX should be midi trigger-able, then you could use midi footswitch.
Niro 9:23 AM - 12 September, 2012
Just watched it on youtube. That is dope, I wonder if there's a way to do it with the 62. That would be pretty dope. As always, good job Akiem
AKIEM 9:31 AM - 12 September, 2012
Quote:
Just watched it on youtube. That is dope, I wonder if there's a way to do it with the 62. That would be pretty dope. As always, good job Akiem

thanks Niro. Without opening the 62 I could not say for sure, there could be something which would prevent it. but my bet is that it would be possible.
Niro 9:37 AM - 12 September, 2012
I would think so, since really you're just relaying a button push. Makes me want to try it when I get home. Again, you're killing it with the mods.
AKIEM 9:45 AM - 12 September, 2012
yup, its pretty easy with a little soldering knowledge and so on.

The hard part is drilling the hole without letting any metal flakes get anyplace.
that would not be good
nik39 9:47 PM - 12 September, 2012
Nice mod. Why not using a usb-midi-footswitch and map the SL effects on the 62 (theyre postfader then!)
skinnyguy 10:04 PM - 12 September, 2012
you'd think they would've thought of this.
nik39 10:17 PM - 12 September, 2012
What do you mean, skinniguy?
Niro 2:02 AM - 13 September, 2012
When I scratch, I usually use real records, but I'm getting use to scratching in SL. It's still a little different thou.
nik39 4:35 AM - 13 September, 2012
Yeah it's still different. I like to compare it to orange juice coming out of a tetra pak compared to freshly squeezed orange juice ;)

The thing is with the usb insert sl effects you can use the effects on analog sources as well if I can not mistaken.
AKIEM 4:44 AM - 13 September, 2012
yes, I would surely investigate before drilling a hole in a 62
nik39 5:02 AM - 13 September, 2012
Can not mistaken = am not mistaken.

Writing from a phone sucks. Sorry.
Daktyl 6:24 AM - 13 September, 2012
Quote:
GREAT WORK Dr. Akiem!

i used to use one of these to control the software fx in SSL. Not sure if you'd be able to use it to control the mixer fx, but it would be worth looking into. Kind of expensive for a midi controller at $200, but i already had it as part of my guitar rig...
line6.com
nik39 4:31 PM - 13 September, 2012
Quote:
Nice mod. Why not using a usb-midi-footswitch and map the SL effects on the 62 (theyre postfader then!)

Hm.. just tried it out.. a few issues:

a. FlexFx has to be turned on all the time so that the signal gets routed to the FX chain, this means on both channels! Now the issue comes in when you enable the effect by midi in SL, it will be applied to the whole effect chain, meaning to both PGMs. Okay, you could of course dis/enable the FlexFX.. but...

b. Dis/Enabling the FlexFX will cause a signal drop/gap which is kind of a result of...

c. the FlexFX USB Insert Loop will add latency as the whole roundtrip time of the signal increases!

So, it's an not ideal "workaround" (if at all). :(
AKIEM 4:46 PM - 13 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Hm.. just tried it out.. a few issues:

a. FlexFx has to be turned on all the time so that the signal gets routed to the FX chain, this means on both channels! Now the issue comes in when you enable the effect by midi in SL, it will be applied to the whole effect chain, meaning to both PGMs. Okay, you could of course dis/enable the FlexFX.. but...

b. Dis/Enabling the FlexFX will cause a signal drop/gap which is kind of a result of...

c. the FlexFX USB Insert Loop will add latency as the whole roundtrip time of the signal increases!

So, it's an not ideal "workaround" (if at all). :(

Not having tried a 62 yet - this was kinda what I was anticipating (messing around)
On the other hand - this hard solution feels nice and precise.

The main point is that THIS is how we all want it to work (even if some dont know it yet) and we should not be messing around with 'workarounds'.

Workarounds have the danger of being broken in the next - unless they are realized as a valuable feature (this should have been).
echa1945mf 6:25 PM - 13 September, 2012
@akiem

is this mod will work on a DJM 900 bro ? a footwitch for the mixer fx ?

thx before , you rock!
AKIEM 7:21 PM - 13 September, 2012
I cant say for sure what mixers it would work on without taking a look inside.
WarpNote 7:53 PM - 13 September, 2012
Thanks Daktyl & nik39, any good, cheap, midi footswitches to recommend?
Dax 10:16 PM - 13 September, 2012
www.behringer.com

and the new kid on the block
www.keithmcmillen.com
AKIEM 10:42 PM - 13 September, 2012
just curious - do you really want all those pedals?
Its difficult for me to deal with three or. what are you going to use them for?

maybe for changing video settings - I just dont find pedals good for cue points and loops and such - effects - yes
WarpNote 5:44 AM - 14 September, 2012
Come to think of it, 2 fx banks would be enough for me. Flex fx switches for each channel would be activated on the mixer anyway. So ideally, a midi box with 2 buttons for toggling FX on/off, and 2 pedals for dry/wet would be optimal for me... Anything like that on the market?
dj_soo 6:02 AM - 14 September, 2012
Does anyone with a 62 know if the flexfx buttons are mappable?
WarpNote 6:08 AM - 14 September, 2012
Far as I know, you can't map the hardware functions on the 61, 62 & 68, "out of the box"...
Niro 11:25 AM - 14 September, 2012
When I use to do the work around, I mapped all of the hardware functions, actually I think you can midi the hardware functions, but they will retain their functions. But if you don't have the effects button on, than it doesn't really matter.
WarpNote 9:14 AM - 18 September, 2012
Still tracking this one Akiem, no worries.
AKIEM 4:51 PM - 18 September, 2012
yup - when I get time I will do another video which goes more in depth...
AKIEM 4:53 PM - 18 September, 2012
(someone from Rane was still wondering why I dont just trigger the effect on/off) :)
DJRUDEBOYY 8:23 PM - 18 September, 2012
i cant get enough of this thread, make the new vid soon brotha !!!
AKIEM 8:38 PM - 18 September, 2012
yup, think I will be working on it next week.
DJ Reflex 1:56 AM - 20 September, 2012
I suppose if you can locate the solder connections for the push-button switches on the circuit board, you should be able wire a by-pass switch to a foot controller. As far as drilling into a 62, you might want to open it up and look for any "empty" areas. I suggest using a drill stop as well so you you don't slip and go too far after the hole is cut.

Good mods!
AKIEM 5:45 AM - 20 September, 2012
Careful drilling. Leaving metal flecks would be deadly.
DJ Reflex 1:40 AM - 21 September, 2012
Drill with a shop vac running next to the bit. It will suck up any metal shavings.
AKIEM 9:45 PM - 9 January, 2013
The next step with this was to make it a momentary switch. I think I could pull the electronics off but it outside my electronics knowledge and would take too much time to study and get right. I think I have all the parts tho...
Gio Alex 5:09 PM - 1 April, 2015
Quote:
The foot-switch on the TTM57 was a great idea. But it lacked one crucial function, that is the ability to trigger the FlexFX. This would have allowed you to scratch and simultaneously open the effects gate. In my opinion this would be the natural function of a foot pedal - applying effects to the channel.

Hey Akiem,

Reviving this one because I'm really interested in this topic. I didn't realize that the footswitch did not trigger the FlexFX on the 57. I've had a footswitch for a while but I mostly used it with a 909.

I have a pioneer RMX-1000 and I prefer to use it with the 57 because I'm working on some bridge projects/performances. I was actually wondering how I would be able to trigger the RMX-1000 via foot switch since it doesn't toggle the FlexFX on/off. Is that what you're saying?

I wish the RMX had a foot switch option like the EFX 100 had. Foot SW is one of the reasons I did not leg go of certain mixers. I'm not really sure why I don't see them anymore on scratch mixers.

I'm at least happy they kept it on the new 57MKII.
AKIEM 5:56 PM - 1 April, 2015
That's exactly what I'm saying.

The FlexFX works like a 'post-fader send' which is perfect. Except no way to trigger with the foot switch.

When I showed this to Rane they asked why I didn't just midi-foot switch the internal "echo".

I always forget exactly what the difference is even with the 'hold echo' it still works as if you are turning the effect on/off instead of sending to the effect...

So Serato says in SDJ (I haven't tried it) you can midi trigger a SEND to the effect. So the "echo" (delay) can sit on and you just send post-fade signal to it... lol I'm a little skeptical.

To me what would have been optimal in all situations is the FlexFX being triggered with the foot switch. That way you can scratch and send to the effect simultaneously. But I doubt...

The other part of perfection would be if it could be set to 'momentary' that way you could just step and release..... (Life of me I could never understand why the eq can be set to momentary, but the FlexFx can't :(

That would be the most natural feeling in the world.......

[Sigh]
Gio Alex 6:15 PM - 1 April, 2015
Quote:
When I showed this to Rane they asked why I didn't just midi-foot switch the internal "echo".

I'm not gonna lie, I really dig the DJ FX, but I'm not a huge fan of the Serato Hardware FX for the 57. It always confused me.

I have the FX setup up/tweaked just the way I want it on the RMX-1000 and I wish I could just toggle Flex FX on/off.

This is what you can do with the 909. You can toggle the chosen FX on/off with a foot switch. I would just use my 909 but I want to use the 57 for bridge purposes. I'm already going to use an APC40 so the last thing I need is more things connected together if I don't need it.

I guess I can connect a FootSW to APC 40 and have it trigger an echo FX to the CH i'm scratching with on the 57. That'll probably work right?
Gio Alex 6:18 PM - 1 April, 2015
Quote:
youtu.be

Do you have photos or a video link of how you did this? The mod. I think people including Serato/Rane slept on how key and dope this feature is.
AKIEM 10:34 PM - 1 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
youtu.be

Do you have photos or a video link of how you did this? The mod. I think people including Serato/Rane slept on how key and dope this feature is.

So it was very easy. The hard part being how to drill the hole without allowing steel shards to escape. I did consider replacing the og footswitch input. So mount the 1/4 stereo input.

All switches and pots are on a single pc board. So the contacts for the FlexFx switches are on the underside. Then it was just a mater of connecting wires so when the switch is pressed the contact is closed.

My switches work as normal as well.

I may take some flicks at some point (or if I have to do it for the MKii as well :(

And I looked quite a bit for a switch that would send a pulse up/down that way it would work momentary.

My guess is there will not be a momentary setting for the FlexFX which there should be
:( And its probably not fixable in firmware:( That would excellent if anyone is listening.
Gio Alex 12:01 AM - 2 April, 2015
Quote:
So it was very easy. The hard part being how to drill the hole without allowing steel shards to escape. I did consider replacing the og footswitch input. So mount the 1/4 stereo input.

All switches and pots are on a single pc board. So the contacts for the FlexFx switches are on the underside. Then it was just a mater of connecting wires so when the switch is pressed the contact is closed.

My switches work as normal as well.

Thanks for that info.
Quote:
I may take some flicks at some point (or if I have to do it for the MKii as well :(

Hopefully not right.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:53 AM - 2 April, 2015
Quote:

Cool, we won't say anything about your non GED, Tommy No job havin, ex-con, republican, low wage, Al B Shure, metro, Christian azz....
Gio Alex 2:51 PM - 2 April, 2015
Quote:

Dude you use a shop vac like mentioned above? Also was there a reason you didn't just remove all the components to do this. Just curious and trying to find the easiest method for doing this.

Also, did you see this?
www.djforums.com
AKIEM 5:05 PM - 2 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Dude you use a shop vac like mentioned above? Also was there a reason you didn't just remove all the components to do this. Just curious and trying to find the easiest method for doing this.

Yes, if I remember correctly, removing all components was much more work than I wanted to do. I used tape to catch shards, drilled into a styrofoam block and had it sealed off. Then I used the shop vac, but I'm pretty sure I had it clean anyway.

Quote:

Also, did you see this?
www.djforums.com

Never seen that.

I don't know why he made a whole replacement panel instead of just drill a hole. You have to make a hole regardless. That's strange.

And I don't see why he removed the buttons, cut the plastic button housing and ran the wires from the top instead of just soldering straight from the underside. His button is going to fail.

I would have liked to just repurpose the stock footswitch jack but its on the same pcb as the headphone jack and would have been some work, but probably could be done that way too.
Gio Alex 6:28 PM - 2 April, 2015
Quote:
don't know why he made a whole replacement panel instead of just drill a hole. You have to make a hole regardless. That's strange.

Yeah I asked myself the same question, but couldn't figure out white either. I'm wondering if it was a fitting issue ad that extra 1/8' helped, maybe? Seemed like way more work than it needed to be.
Gio Alex 9:16 PM - 2 April, 2015
why* not white, lol
AKIEM 10:31 PM - 2 April, 2015
Maybe he was actually hiding something :)
Gio Alex 11:11 PM - 2 April, 2015
Quote:
Maybe he was actually hiding something :)

Lol

I have a feeling a drilled a hole that was too big maybe.
AKIEM 5:51 PM - 3 April, 2015
Something like that, maybe three of them lol

Are you going to do it?
Gio Alex 6:27 PM - 3 April, 2015
Quote:
Something like that, maybe three of them lol

Are you going to do it?

Yeah I'm highly debating it. What tools did you use? i.e., the 1/4 inch plug and so on, like where'd you get them from. I'd commission you to do it if you were local. I live in NYC.

Luckily my mom, was an electrical engineer so I can get her to help out.
AKIEM 7:12 PM - 3 April, 2015
I'm not really interested in doing these for people, I don't want to be responsible if something went wring.

I don't know of any, but I guarantee there are some repair shops which would do the mod.

But aside from the drilling, anyone who has used a soldering iron could do it.

Parts is just the 1/4" stereo input and wires.
boogiebears 11:47 PM - 3 April, 2015
..good work akiem, i saw news of this mod quite a while ago - though i never had the balls to attempt it myself..
AKIEM 5:32 PM - 4 April, 2015
Yeah, let's see if I do it with the MKii...
Gio Alex 5:17 PM - 5 April, 2015
Quote:

Please document if you do man.
AKIEM 5:39 PM - 5 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Please document if you do man.

Yup.