DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Initial Feedback and Suggestions

AKIEM 7:54 AM - 14 November, 2006
So its been about a week. I wanted to give my initial feedback and suggestions early before I get too settled in so that my suggestions reflect my first intuitions. I think I do have it set up now the way I will use it mostly.

I know that some of these have been suggested, but it didn't make sense for me to hunt down each discussion, but if there is one in effect by all means point me to it.

I am still new to it and haven't read everything here or wherever so if a suggestions deserves a reply with a "duh" in it, fine. bring it.

P1,P2 Song Select
Set it so that scrolling it automatically loads the song without having to click to load. The same way "next song" automatically loads, or vinyl scroll automatically loads.

Click to toggle the function of the scroll.
that way you could use each P1 and P2 to scroll songs and crates, same as vinyl

more symmetrical, more intuitive.

reverse scrolling

Control of Gain
I would like to use P1 and P2 to control the gain saved to file

Joystick Transformer
Transformer mirrored for symmetry, so that clicking to the right would be the same as clicking to the left on the other joystick and vice-versa.
I always set my transformer switches to be "on" when pointed toward whichever turntable. this also reflects the x-fader

or transformer directions for each joystick separately.

Joystick reversed so that the normal position is "off".
This will allow you to do a transformer scratch by simply taping the joystick.
yes the toggle would have to click instantly, right now its not instant.

All options available for each switch
Right now I would have put "loop" on a joystick
X(echo feedback) should be assignable.

FlexFX assignable

Some functions should be toggleable or cycled
I would set up a toggle switch between ABS and INT for example.

Some functions should cycle
I would cycle through X(echo feedback) for example.

Mode Change on Load
Option to choose a mode that would automatically be switched to on song load.
I would set it to automatically switch back to ABS if I was in INT

Scroll Selector Fallow next/prev song
I would consider using if the orange scroll selector bar followed, its to hard to know where you are at in the crate now when you use it.

BPM Synced Limited Hold
Tap: stays "open" "start" or "on" for one beat X(echo feedback) then "closes" "stop" or "off"
Hold: stays "open" "start" or "on" indefinitely OR as long as held
For FlexFX, Kills and for *Cues

*Cue Acts like sample (option)
Similar to the way the track continues to run unchanged when the Censor button is used the track will continue after the function is completed.

Dual Function
two functions on one switch, for example "next song" + "track bpm effect 1"
or "load" + "ABS"

Modifiers +
like Command+, Ctrl+, Alt+ on a mac.
Just one of these would almost double the number of switches per group. And would also be good for access to functions that you might want less easily activated.

for example I would like to assign "B6+J1-left" to ABS. this would make switching back to ABS from REL less possible to be done accidentally.

Use Channel Swap and Reverse buttons
I don't use these. Many DJs who do, just set it up one time and don't use them as performance buttons. The option for operating them them in the Hardware Setup would be good. AND allow them to be assignable. They are perfectly situated to be used as Modifiers especially lit up they are begging for it.

FX on the Mic
Should be able to add an effect to it. The way I would use it is, a mic splitter so the mic still goes to the main board. then I would have access to the vocals to add delay accents on it wherever I want. I would like to see it be able to be cleanly routed to the Aux out, meaning only the full wet effect is coming from the Aux out, then I would send that to the main board for mixing.

Echo
Im not sure why its called "echo" its really a delay right?
the "delay" is a little strange, its good that it don't go to 100% but why 10%? Is it really "10%" or is it a "one shot"? not that important.

When we get more FX I would hope that I could set up two different delays, one in each position/bank. That way each could be dedicate to its own program and not worry about which is bpm locked.

X4 all the way down to X1/32 or X1/64 where it gets into flanging.
cycled selection

Sampler
One of the new "FX" should be a sampler.

Blinking Deck indicator linked to BPM.
It just should, it don't really even have to be "on the one."

Larger BPM display
I think after song selection the BPM is now the most important information on the screen. Its way too small.

and thats it, thanks for reading the whole thing.

sorry about anything thats unclear, I will try my best to explain any item

the most disappointing thing about the TTM57 I will post in another thread.
nik39 12:48 PM - 14 November, 2006
Quote:
P1,P2 Song Select
Set it so that scrolling it automatically loads the song without having to click to load. The same way "next song" automatically loads, or vinyl scroll automatically loads.

Interesting.

Quote:
All options available for each switch
Right now I would have put "loop" on a joystick
X(echo feedback) should be assignable.

Agreed.

Quote:
FlexFX assignable

Yes, please. Esp. assignable to the footswitch.

Quote:

Agreed. I would use one button to toggle/Cycle between abs+rel.

Quote:
I would consider using if the orange scroll selector bar followed, its to hard to know where you are at in the crate now when you use it.

I dont understand this

Quote:
BPM Synced Limited Hold
Tap: stays "open" "start" or "on" for one beat X(echo feedback) then "closes" "stop" or "off"

Very nice.

Quote:
Similar to the way the track continues to run unchanged when the Censor button is used the track will continue after the function is completed.

Or better, a complete sampler section.

Quote:
Dual Function
or "load" + "ABS"

Thats cool as well. Extension would be to allow macros (I think nobspangle has suggested this before).

Quote:
Modifiers +
Just one of these would almost double the number of switches per group. And would also be good for access to functions that you might want less easily activated.

Which button would you use as a modifier?

Quote:
FX on the Mic
Should be able to add an effect to it. The way I would use it is, a mic splitter so the mic still goes to the main board. then I would have access to the vocals to add delay accents on it wherever I want. I would like to see it be able to be cleanly routed to the Aux out, meaning only the full wet effect is coming from the Aux out, then I would send that to the main board for mixing.

If you look at the simplified schematics/block diagram, aux+flexfx+mic share the same ADC, which means anything you apply to either of those will also affect the others.

Quote:
Echo
the "delay" is a little strange, its good that it don't go to 100% but why 10%? Is it really "10%" or is it a "one shot"? not that important.

Good question.

Quote:
Sampler

With it...
AKIEM 9:29 PM - 14 November, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
P1,P2 Song Select

Interesting.

This is the way I expected it to work. Right now I use the Ps to scroll song, click to load. But I use the vinyl to scroll crates. Trying to use P1 for crates and P2 for songs throws me way off.

Quote:
Quote:
FlexFX assignable

Yes, please. Esp. assignable to the footswitch.

I may get a footswitch just for more buttons but the obvious place to use it is on the FleFX. Not being able to tap it on the end of scratch phrases for example seems ridiculous.

I would also like to assign it to the joysticks for the momentary taping "on".

Quote:
Quote:

I dont understand this

I keep track of my location in the crate by where the orange selector bar is. I can see what the next song is. But if I use prev/next song I will loose my place. I wont know what the next or previous song is unless I try to find it in the crate. And without the orange bar siting on the currant song its hard if not impossible to see my location.

Quote:
Quote:
BPM Synced Limited Hold

Very nice.

I hope people understand this one. Having to turn "off" the FlexFX is counter intuitive for me. Some times I forget, because turning it "off" is not part of the performance, while turning it "on" is.

Quote:
Quote:

Or better, a complete sampler section.

I would like to see both.

Quote:
Quote:
Dual Function
or "load" + "ABS"

Thats cool as well. Extension would be to allow macros (I think nobspangle has suggested this before).

yes, like the "panic" function we have.

Quote:
Quote:
Modifiers +

Which button would you use as a modifier?

I would like to see it assignable. And I would like to see more then one. Imagine if you could assign six different modifiers, one different one to each of the Bs for example. And then made each joystick position modifiable. B1(MOD1) + J1-UP would perform X function for example. That would give you 48 different functions between the joysticks and buttons.

Another example: assign modifiers to each joystick positions. J1-UP(MOD1) + B1 performs function X, for example. This configuration would give you another 48 functions.

I think this would be the way to do lots of cue points eventually.

But I would be happy with just one. I would put it on B6 to modify my J and P functions.

Quote:
Quote:
FX on the Mic

If you look at the simplified schematics/block diagram, aux+flexfx+mic share the same ADC, which means anything you apply to either of those will also affect the others.

duh. thanks I knew there had to be at least one "duh" for me. now I need to get a mic splitter, and its on.

Quote:
Quote:
Echo

Good question.

yeah, its just a little strange to me. For the Feedback I would make 0% or 1% a "one shot" and go up to 100%(infinity). I dont mind the 94% limit too much, especially when learning it. But I think it should be optional. Because I would like the option of setting it on 100% so that I could make an infinite beat loop. We would need a "panic" switch to turn it off.

Quote:
Quote:
Sampler

With it...

And, I dont know if there is enough processing power to run more then two effects at a time, but if there is I would like to chain them in succession in one bank.
nik39 9:37 PM - 14 November, 2006
Quote:
This is the way I expected it to work. Right now I use the Ps to scroll song, click to load. But I use the vinyl to scroll crates.

I understand where you're coming from. HAte vinyl scroll, thats why my expectations were not biased.

Quote:
I hope people understand this one. Having to turn "off" the FlexFX is counter intuitive for me. Some times I forget, because turning it "off" is not part of the performance, while turning it "on" is.

Agreed. Turning on is always nice :D

Quote:
But I would be happy with just one. I would put it on B6 to modify my J and P functions.

I think I would use the kill buttons - I never use them. For me (!) they are a waste.

Quote:
I keep track of my location in the crate by where the orange selector bar is. I can see what the next song is. But if I use prev/next song I will loose my place. I wont know what the next or previous song is unless I try to find it in the crate. And without the orange bar siting on the currant song its hard if not impossible to see my location.

I still dont get the picture. What is the problem? What are you trying to achieve? How could a change help? (sorry for asking so dumb, I just dont get it :( ).
grrillatactics 11:23 PM - 14 November, 2006
AKIEM, I have to hand it to you: you definitely put a lot of thought into your suggestions, for both this mixer and SSL in general. I don't know if some of these suggestions would benefit me, or maybe I am just already comfortable with how it currently works, but I am still trying to mull some of these over and think that you have some excellent suggestions to allow more user versatility.

Let me think about some of this tonight, and post some additional thoughts/comments to this thread.
vio0633 3:08 PM - 15 November, 2006
Very good points and suggestions!
AKIEM 6:51 PM - 15 November, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
This is the way I expected it to work. Right now I use the Ps to scroll song, click to load. But I use the vinyl to scroll crates.

I understand where you're coming from. HAte vinyl scroll, thats why my expectations were not biased.

right, you have to "shift <--/-->" to load.

check how next/prev song loads automatically. Ive got an upcoming tip inspired by that action...

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed. Turning on is always nice :D

I think this is the coolest idea I sparked up

Quote:
Quote:

I think I would use the kill buttons - I never use them. For me (!) they are a waste.

agreed. but I do use the kills at least learning.

I think option for skulls lighting from the pots hitting kill would be good too

Quote:
Quote:

I still dont get the picture. What is the problem? What are you trying to achieve? How could a change help? (sorry for asking so dumb, I just dont get it :( ).

try this:
set up next/prev song buttons.
use them to jump around a bit through an unfamiliar crate.
now, how do you tell what your next song will be?
you have to look around all over to see where your currant song is to see what the next song is.

but if you were scrolling, the orange bar would be sitting right on the last song loaded, so you can see exactly what the next song is

when you hit next/prev song the orange bar should fallow
nobspangle 8:47 AM - 16 November, 2006
Quote:
I think option for skulls lighting from the pots hitting kill would be good too

That would be cool, you could also have an option where the kills latched when you use the pot.

Turn pot slowly to -∞ to fade out the bass, kill turns on
Turn pot to 0, +1 etc. kill is still on
press the kill to drop the bass back in
AKIEM 8:57 PM - 16 November, 2006
yes, and that could work vice verse. nice

that reminds me of a suggestion I forgot:

the BPM multyplyer in the delay could be made "global" or "deck specific". that way it could control FX, FlexFX, Cues, and Kills. I think that would be the illest.
AKIEM 10:48 PM - 19 February, 2010
[revised] for 2010

*Assign Deck12 Switch to Foot Switch
I would really like to assign this switch to the foot switch - especially if it were momentary. I could just hold my foot down and know which deck is selected.

*Use Foot Switch to toggle between group 1 and two
especially if it were momentary. I could just hold my foot down and know which group is selected.

P1,P2 Song Select
I would still like just scrolling to load a song and not have to click.
and clicking could change focus from crates to songs.

Joystick Transformer
Transformer mirrored for symmetry, so that clicking to the right would be the same as clicking to the left on the other joystick and vice-versa.
I always set my transformer switches to be "on" when pointed toward whichever turntable. this also reflects the x-fader

or transformer directions for each joystick separately.

Joystick reversed so that the normal position is "off".
This will allow you to do a transformer scratch by simply taping the joystick.
yes the toggle would have to click instantly, right now its not instant.

I just think there is so much lost here - you should be able to tap on the transformer switch to 'open' it. Its resting position should be closed.

FlexFX assignable
I am going to assume at this point that this is not possible. It would make SOOOOOO much sense to be able to assign FlexFX to the Foot Switch

Some functions should cycle
I would cycle through X(echo feedback) for example.

BPM Synced Limited Hold
It would really be cool if the FlexFX would stay open for a measured BPM amount.
Or a 'momentary' setting like eqs.

It is still really annoying for me to remember turning off that switch, I still make the mistake of leaving it on.

Dual Function
or "load" + "ABS"

Modifiers +

for example I would like to assign "B6+J1-left" to ABS. this would make switching back to ABS from REL less possible to be done accidentally.

I don't use these. Many DJs who do, just set it up one time and don't use them as performance buttons. The option for operating them them in the Hardware Setup would be good. AND allow them to be assignable. They are perfectly situated to be used as Modifiers especially lit up they are begging for it.
Idlemind1999 7:07 AM - 22 February, 2010
Quote:

BPM Synced Limited Hold
It would really be cool if the FlexFX would stay open for a measured BPM amount.
Or a 'momentary' setting like eqs.

YES! These "latch" and "unlatch" so why not?
Quote:

It is still really annoying for me to remember turning off that switch, I still make the mistake of leaving it on.

Or remembering to turn it off completely when using the mic.

Quote:

I Agree!