Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

could new vinyl groove start 1 centimeter far from the vinyl edge?

BassChamber 10:39 PM - 16 September, 2004
as i said in another post...

could new vinyl groove start 1 centimeter far from the vinyl edge?

some battle & breaks vinyl have a "blank" zone at the beginning. the groove (that is, the sound) start 1 centimeter far from vinyl edge.

you know, scratching on the edge of a vinyll is not good... needle tends to skip, even more if vinyl is warped.

keep on spinning!
Serato
Josh 11:06 PM - 16 September, 2004
But you could just use the vinyl offset feature which is coming, or just use relative mode and put the needle somewhere in the middle...
BassChamber 9:37 AM - 17 September, 2004
mmm... vinyl offset feature... that is awesome!

but anyways, if would be good to have a "blank zone", mainly because is faster to cue, i think. when you put the needle over this zone, it goes straight to the start.

of course, you can set the beginning at, lets say, 1 minute, but you will have to put the needle just over an exact position, or use a sticker, or spin the vinyl until you listen sound.

i repeat, cueing the beginning of the groove using a vinyl with a blank zone is faster than using the future vinyl offset feature. anyways, this feature is a must!
nik39 10:40 AM - 17 September, 2004
BC, I dont quite understand why a start offset wont help you?
BassChamber 11:52 AM - 17 September, 2004
yes of course, it will help (indeed i think it is a must).

just talking about making SSL vinyl better... lets see, i mix house but im learning turntablism right now. when scratching, i dont like to do it over the edge. yes, i could set start point inwards, lets say, over 1 minute mark. thats right.

but when i go to a club to spin house, i would have to set it again at the very beginning of the vinyl.

why? because is faster to cue when you are in a dark environment (club) just putting needle over the vinyl and let it go. i dont have to look where 1 minute mark is.

after that, back to my home and learning how to scratch, i would have to set it once again inwards... and so on. and mate, i HATE to repeat processes over and over again.

i repeat, it was a suggestion to make it better, nothing else...

(i hope you understand me, my english is horrible :P )
Serato, Moderator
AJ 5:15 AM - 18 September, 2004
If I understand correctly, you want your short scratch samples to start 1 minute into the vinyl, but you want your house tracks to start right at the edge. You could take your scratch samples and add 1 minute of silence to the beginning.

The other thing you could do is what I do to all my scratch samples. All my scratch samples are less than a minute long, and so I press the loop button on the interface, and then my scratch sample is repeated all the way into the centre of the vinyl, that means I can scratch at the edge, or in the middle or anywhere between.

The loop function is saved separately for each file, so if you press loop on your scratch samples, it won't affect your house tracks.
BassChamber 9:07 AM - 18 September, 2004
thanks for your answer AJ and Josh :)

Quote:
If I understand correctly, you want your short scratch samples to start 1 minute into the vinyl, but you want your house tracks to start right at the edge. You could take your scratch samples and add 1 minute of silence to the beginning.

yes but... i have more than 500 scratch samples...adding a silence to the beginning of everyone is a hard job! :P

Quote:
The other thing you could do is what I do to all my scratch samples. All my scratch samples are less than a minute long, and so I press the loop button on the interface, and then my scratch sample is repeated all the way into the centre of the vinyl, that means I can scratch at the edge, or in the middle or anywhere between.

The loop function is saved separately for each file, so if you press loop on your scratch samples, it won't affect your house tracks.

good point! but sometimes i use to scratch not only a single sample, but whole scratch sentences (even whole ripped battle vinyls sides).

the ideas you suggest to me are good ideas, but problem is they add more work for me! (add silences, cut single samples from whole ripped battle vinyls sides, and so on).

and SSL is here to make our lives easier, doesnt it? :P

again, mi idea is just a suggestion to make our scratch/mixing experience with SSL faster and easier (is it so difficult to implement? doesnt vinyl manufacturers like pressing vinyl this way?)

or course, i havent made a new discovery. lot of battle records are pressed this way.

one more thing, your support rocks :)
bartaug 6:11 PM - 18 September, 2004
Not only a Vinyl Offset but also a Pitch Offset would be good to get away from the 0% quartz lock point of the SL1210 fader.
Even better would also to have a Pitch Scale, so the SL1210 fader could be made more precise (<1.0 scale) or have a larger range (>1.0 scale)
BassChamber 7:03 PM - 18 September, 2004
oh, i forgot to say, i have been practicising turntablism techniques using vinyls pressed that way (1 - 1.5 centimeter blank space between record edge and record groove) and it feels... more secure, more confortable when back cueuing first loop/scratch sound (even spinning house)

it is just a step forward, why not do it?

(forgive my insistence)
J-BRAVO 9:31 PM - 18 September, 2004
i think its quite a sensible suggestion.
Serato, Moderator
AJ 5:17 AM - 21 September, 2004
I understand your feature suggestion BC, and I agree with you. It won't be happening in the new vinyl being released soon, but I will make sure that our upcoming battle-mode records have a big gap before the first sample. I don't want to say too much about battle mode, because I don't want to make you ache for it, and it's not going to be in the next release. Let's just say that it will be pretty cool.
skutch 5:26 AM - 21 September, 2004
Aww shit *l
you let the cat out the bag
all were gonna hear for the next few months is battle mode this and battle mode that ;)
skutch 5:28 AM - 21 September, 2004
AJ can we have more easter eggs

warlords or maybe E.T.(the original easter egg layin' game)
skutch 5:29 AM - 21 September, 2004
seeing that you guys aren't busy and all *LOL
skutch 5:30 AM - 21 September, 2004
oh shit! Here comes one more post for no reason
Serato, Moderator
AJ 6:49 AM - 21 September, 2004
Easy on that scotch, skutch.
BassChamber 9:47 AM - 21 September, 2004
wow again!!!
skutch 1:02 PM - 21 September, 2004
AJ you nailed it------people, don't drink and use your harddrive ;)