DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Will controllers replace CDJ's?

@WhoDjRu 3:39 AM - 26 June, 2012
I am very curious in this discussion because once upon a time turntable DJ's talked down on CD DJ's when they were coming out.
Now controllers like the NS7 are beginning to become a a trend. Its a hassle carrying around a bunch of CD's gig after gig. So with a controller you just put all your music on a hard drive that can fit in your pocket!
So why still use CD's when you can use a controller and USB. Plus controllers are much easier to carry around than CDJs and a mixer.

So what do you all think? Would you get an NS7 or 2 CDJ's and a mixer? I know CDJ's are a standard at most clubs, but controllers do the same, maybe MORE! And easier to carry around along with speakers and a booth!
str8nger 3:56 AM - 26 June, 2012
technics and serato does it for me! and they are just as good and funner than a controller. i personally don't use cdjs.

cdjs=$$$$ 1,000-2,500 each only rich kids or pros can buy.
controllers $100-$900 for a toy, any kid can save couple of pennys and become a dj....
so yea controllers will be flooding the market by kids pushing sync and twisting knobs while the pros are using real dj gear cdjs and 1200s in the club booth :)
@WhoDjRu 4:16 AM - 26 June, 2012
Quote:
technics and serato does it for me! and they are just as good and funner than a controller. i personally don't use cdjs.

cdjs=$$$$ 1,000-2,500 each only rich kids or pros can buy.
controllers $100-$900 for a toy, any kid can save couple of pennys and become a dj....
so yea controllers will be flooding the market by kids pushing sync and twisting knobs while the pros are using real dj gear cdjs and 1200s in the club booth :)

I understand where your coming from, but the Numark NS7 is far from a toy. Look it up and if you ever get a chance to try it out, DO IT!! It truly is a remarkable product! The NS7 and Technics w/ serato are honestly just about the same.
Its time to realize technology is moving FAST!! NS7 is the future!! (IMO, but lemme know more opinions!) PLEASE DONT BE ONE SIDED !
str8nger 4:18 AM - 26 June, 2012
Sorry but I played with. Ns7 and I think technics And ns7 are not the same.
str8nger 4:21 AM - 26 June, 2012
Dude quite trying to convene yourself u have best controllers And it's the future just because u don't have CDjs or technics. Each to there own. Nothing will change its the person choice to use what they want
str8nger 4:21 AM - 26 June, 2012
Convence *
DJ Unique 4:33 AM - 26 June, 2012
Hey @WhoDjRu....

why dis you start a new discussion about the same thing here?
serato.com
DJ Unique 4:36 AM - 26 June, 2012
If you like the NS7 then great.

I own 2 mixers, 2 TTs, 3 CD's, 1 all-in-one mixer/controller and 1 midi device.
My preference, and it's just me, is my Rane 62 with my M5G's.
@WhoDjRu 5:10 AM - 26 June, 2012
I don't know why its so hard for me to make a choice, but I just want to keep looking. That for all your opinions!
BTW, I don't think my controller is best, I just gave my opinion and wanted to hear others.
Thanks though guys.
B.Hollywood 4:50 AM - 2 July, 2012
They already should have
echa1945mf 10:13 AM - 2 July, 2012
no they wont,why coz every controller is different to each dj,everyone has its own preference , unless theres a controller that become a standard i wont see controller be replacing TT or CDJ's anytime soon,especially in major clubs , only a handful of djs who use controllers and theyre usually huge name,i dont think ive seen a reguler dj in major clubs here (indonesia) play using a controller mostly cd's,dvs or thumb drives here
DJ Benny B NYC 3:15 PM - 2 July, 2012
YES, most people i know use them as controllers anyway.

How many people do you know (in america) that bring a book of CDs and use actual CDs all night?

most people i know just bring a usb stick or serato.
ced_so_thoed 3:23 PM - 2 July, 2012
ay
controllers are for djs on a budget, lazy, weak, and do not have the vehicle or the know how on how to transport actual decks. A controller would be good for a dj who lives in a city where he/she has to rely on public transportation to get to the gig. I can see how that could work out. But for some it's all about the nostalgia and the art of doing it how the pioneers did it and putting on a proper show.
yep
B.Hollywood 8:57 PM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:
controllers are for djs on a budget, lazy, weak, and do not have the vehicle or the know how on how to transport actual decks

irrelevant.

Iv had 1210's a mixer and a midi controller with scratch live and i can say that a controller has not limited me at all in my performance. It has mad things easy getting to gigs. how ever i still feel turntables looks and feel better. its a trade of situation. conveniance vs looking "authentic"
ced_so_thoed 9:16 PM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
controllers are for djs on a budget, lazy, weak, and do not have the vehicle or the know how on how to transport actual decks

irrelevant.

Iv had 1210's a mixer and a midi controller with scratch live and i can say that a controller has not limited me at all in my performance. It has mad things easy getting to gigs. how ever i still feel turntables looks and feel better. its a trade of situation. conveniance vs looking "authentic"

ay
pfft
yep
Logisticalstyles 9:20 PM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:
ay
controllers are for djs on a budget, lazy, weak, and do not have the vehicle or the know how on how to transport actual decks. A controller would be good for a dj who lives in a city where he/she has to rely on public transportation to get to the gig. I can see how that could work out. But for some it's all about the nostalgia and the art of doing it how the pioneers did it and putting on a proper show.
yep

None of that applies to the NS7 which is a controller. It's heavy, costs a lot money, and is not easily transported, especially on public transportation.
AustinG 9:28 PM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
ay
yep

None of that applies to the NS7 which is a controller. It's heavy, costs a lot money, and is not easily transported, especially on public transportation.

Tell us more about a dj using public transportation! That's very interesting to me because I gig out of a toyota matrix that can fit a full setup with a sub.
ced_so_thoed 9:37 PM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ay
yep

Tell us more about a dj using public transportation! That's very interesting to me because I gig out of a toyota matrix that can fit a full setup with a sub.

ay
are you asking Logisticalstyles or I about public transportation?
yep
AustinG 9:55 PM - 2 July, 2012
idk i guess just how all that works out for you? Are you carrying a lot of money (do u worry about getting mugged), weapons, what type of travel bags you carry, etc. that sort of thing... It's probably safer than driving when a bunch of drunks are out on the road which is the only thing that worries me while transporting home.
ced_so_thoed 10:08 PM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:
idk i guess just how all that works out for you? Are you carrying a lot of money (do u worry about getting mugged), weapons, what type of travel bags you carry, etc. that sort of thing... It's probably safer than driving when a bunch of drunks are out on the road which is the only thing that worries me while transporting home.

ay
I don't but I would think that the person who has a controller could have it in a back pack with their laptop, ext hd, uberstand, a power strip and rcas and be good. Keep a legal blade as protection and wear a hoody to look like you're just a regular dude. That's what I'd think.
yep
B.Hollywood 12:22 AM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
ay
pfft
yep

care to elaborate?

Since when was djing about the car you use to transport your gear? Controllers are conveniant yes, Turntables and CDJ's are great, yes and both allow the user to mix music. I cant see the issue?
DJ'Que 12:55 AM - 3 July, 2012
controllers are toys for cheap wannabe a dj.
DJRemixEnt 1:44 AM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:

i used the v7's for a year and i had alot of fun with them... but i went back to vinyl for a couple reasons:

1) i wanted to do video, and serato itch was not moving fast enough to bring that feature into effect

2) i was getting lazy with my beatmatching... the white sync light on the v7's were a big cheat and i found myself using them too much.

3) the sounds coming from the v7's were very punchy, but it wasnt as warm sounding as the sl1 or the ttm57.

ive noticed the sound quality on those controllers are not the same as the sound that comes from the Scratch Live interfaces ( 57, sl boxes, and 61 & 62)

but convenience can play a part in using controllers and doesnt always mean someone is a wanna be.

dont get me wrong, theres no way i would show up to a full sized nightclub with a vci 380, but a small pub or bar or lounge, the vci 380 would be good for when the space is limited.
JDforKing 3:54 AM - 3 July, 2012
I think djs get caught up in their own world. If you ask anyone that comes into a club about what gear a dj uses they wouldn't know. All they care about is what you play not how you play.

For the record i dj 5 times a week and use 1200s with a 57 2 nights a week and either my vci 300 mk2 or a ns6 for the other three. I must say each set up have their pros and cons but i love them all.
Logisticalstyles 3:59 AM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:

I DJ at a spot during the week and I have to go straight from my day job. I take the train to work normally because me and my wife share a car. I let her have it during the day so I just leave work and take the train and bus to the club. This particular club has a turntable and mixer so all I have to bring is my SL1 and laptop + headphones and hard drive. Everything else is already there for me. My wife meets me after the show (it's a comedy club) and I drive home from there with cash in hand. That scenario is nothing compared to when I lived in the city and had to take a cab to and from my gig in the city carrying a coffin with 1200's and mixer. That sucked, but the pay was good and it wasn't a very far trip.
DJ'Que 4:27 AM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

i used the v7's for a year and i had alot of fun with them... but i went back to vinyl for a couple reasons:

1) i wanted to do video, and serato itch was not moving fast enough to bring that feature into effect

2) i was getting lazy with my beatmatching... the white sync light on the v7's were a big cheat and i found myself using them too much.

3) the sounds coming from the v7's were very punchy, but it wasnt as warm sounding as the sl1 or the ttm57.

ive noticed the sound quality on those controllers are not the same as the sound that comes from the Scratch Live interfaces ( 57, sl boxes, and 61 & 62)

but convenience can play a part in using controllers and doesnt always mean someone is a wanna be.

dont get me wrong, theres no way i would show up to a full sized nightclub with a vci 380, but a small pub or bar or lounge, the vci 380 would be good for when the space is limited.
I dont consider the v7 a toy im talking about controllers like the mixdeck stuff.
DJRemixEnt 10:15 AM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I dont consider the v7 a toy im talking about controllers like the mixdeck stuff.

true
DJMark 10:17 AM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:

That's actually been my #1 objection to DJ's using them. Especially some of the cheaper ones like the Vestax...horrible "flat" "lifeless" "dull" sound when played on a decent system. I don't even think that giant Numark thing sounds all that good either.
Papa Midnight 10:42 AM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
ay
yep

So true. I could more easily physically transport decks and a mixer easier than the NS7.

Quote:

Quote:

But it is a controller.
So, you can't have it both ways....

Is this just another one of the usual "let's bash controller threads"? I don't get DJs. First, people bash Serato SL users. Then SL use was so ubiquitous that people shut up about it. In the mean time, they bashed CDJ users, then those became so wide spread, not only did people shut up about it, those same bashers became calling it the so-called "industry standard". It's bound to happen with controllers whether people like it or not.
DJ Benny B NYC 2:07 PM - 3 July, 2012
unless you are using vinyl records, cds, etc everything is a controller
ced_so_thoed 3:58 PM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
care to elaborate?

ay
as a matter of fact I do. pppppppppppppppppppppppffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffttt
tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt...ttt
yep

Quote:
Since when was djing about the car you use to transport your gear?

ay
it's not about the car, it's about how to pack your car with your dj gear. Some djs feel that they are limited by what they drive. They feel if they drive a Yaris, they can't fit subs and a coffin in the car. So a controller would be the way to go to still have sound. It's not what you drive, it's the cargo room to pack and transport things without harm or dmage.
yep

Quote:
Controllers are conveniant yes, Turntables and CDJ's are great, yes and both allow the user to mix music. I cant see the issue?

ay
Quote:
the white sync light on the v7's were a big cheat and i found myself using them too much.

the sounds coming from the v7's were very punchy, but it wasnt as warm sounding as the sl1 or the ttm57.

^^^^this
yep
revancheX 7:07 PM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
Is this just another one of the usual "let's bash controller threads"? I don't get DJs. First, people bash Serato SL users. Then SL use was so ubiquitous that people shut up about it. In the mean time, they bashed CDJ users, then those became so wide spread, not only did people shut up about it, those same bashers became calling it the so-called "industry standard". It's bound to happen with controllers whether people like it or not.

You speak truth. Let me help you out with expressing something, though:

DJing comprises a lot of difficult-tolearn proprietary skills that successful DJs want to protect the value of. The last thing they want to see is some upstart buying the latest gadget and short-circuiting the process.

Understandable, but it's wrong in at least two ways:

(1) Every workflow has its own difficult-to-learn proprietary skills.

(2) There are proprietary skills that have nothing to do with the workflow.

(3) I might end up getting flamed for this, but whatever--most of the dues you paid as a DJ have far more to do with your social connections than the proprietary skills you learned. Once you've reached a certain level of skill, it becomes a game of who you know rather than what you know.

This is an uncomfortable subject for successful DJs, so they employ cognitive dissonance to disguise it. This leads to hate and butthurt concerning the next generation of DJ workflow.
ced_so_thoed 7:17 PM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
Once you've reached a certain level of skill, it becomes a game of who you know rather than what you know.

ay
testify
yep
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:26 PM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
Its a hassle carrying around a bunch of CD's gig after gig.

Stopped reading right there....

smh....
Evon 7:28 PM - 3 July, 2012
Controllers are for mobile djs. I Have seen a coupple of s4 controllers out there. But most are on cdj2000 and usb sticks.
kryptonitednb 8:05 PM - 3 July, 2012
ay

Most of the dj'ing I have done over the past 14 years has been at clubs. I have never once had to bring my own gear to the club. When I moved to Serato 4 years ago from vinyl it was awesome not to have to transport so much vinyl, etc..

Fast forward 4 years until today and I have started a Kontrol S4 with Trakor and an X1 and F1. The possibilities of what I can do using that setup leaps a pair of turntables and a mixer by a mile. People need to learn to embrace technology, not be scared of it. It isn't going away. Sometimes I feel like djs are like the people that used to say, "tapes will never last!" "CDs will never last!" "iPods will never last!" "The internet will never get popular!"

Just give it up people, EMBRACE IT. My Techs are my first love, but the things you can do with some of this new stuff is amazing.

yep
WestKoast BeatZ 9:36 PM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:

you couldn't have said it any better, and i own 2 technic mk5 controllers myself! Thanks SSL :)

Like "kryptonitednb" said above me..... "Just give it up people, EMBRACE IT. My Techs are my first love, but the things you can do with some of this new stuff is amazing."

From an audience point of view, they dont know what equipment your using, mostly cause they cant see, but they CAN HEAR your mixing, and thats what you should be focused on.

will controllers be the future of dj'n? IMO probably so overtime, as dj's demand more & push the limits on creativity LIVE. There will always be clubs out there who cater to dj's who bring in a crowd, and i tip my hat to those dj's cause thats how it should be!

So to each his own, best of luck to you. IMO if your a great dj, people will pay to hear you play, regardless of what your using. i laugh when i hear dj's talking bout keepin it real, acting like technology hasn't benefited them in some way, or they turn away from it.
revancheX 9:44 PM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:

And if you're using SSL, the Rane box or mixer is itself a controller!
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:00 PM - 3 July, 2012
We can prob let this thread die. I dout the original posters commin back lol
ced_so_thoed 10:09 PM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:

ay
you and whasaname killed him
yep
@WhoDjRu 6:43 PM - 4 July, 2012
Quote:
ay

Most of the dj'ing I have done over the past 14 years has been at clubs. I have never once had to bring my own gear to the club. When I moved to Serato 4 years ago from vinyl it was awesome not to have to transport so much vinyl, etc..

Fast forward 4 years until today and I have started a Kontrol S4 with Trakor and an X1 and F1. The possibilities of what I can do using that setup leaps a pair of turntables and a mixer by a mile. People need to learn to embrace technology, not be scared of it. It isn't going away. Sometimes I feel like djs are like the people that used to say, "tapes will never last!" "CDs will never last!" "iPods will never last!" "The internet will never get popular!"

Just give it up people, EMBRACE IT. My Techs are my first love, but the things you can do with some of this new stuff is amazing.

yep

This was a very good read.
@WhoDjRu 6:46 PM - 4 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

ay
you and whasaname killed him
yep

Quote:

Wrong.
B.Hollywood 10:22 PM - 4 July, 2012
ced_so_thoed, I understand you have 26 likes on facebook so this make you an expert but your reply's are redundant and If you dislike controllers so much why are you in the Itch section of the forum.
KYLE SMILE 10:48 PM - 4 July, 2012
Loving the controllers are for wannabes etc talk.

Remember - the new CDJ 850/900 and 2000 are all "controllers" too that work direct as midi controllers with software. It just so happens that they also work with cds - something even alot of the bigger producers are stopping carrying when they only need to hook up a laptop or a few flash drives.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:41 PM - 4 July, 2012
Man look, the minute you hooked up a computer and any type of CDJ to your arsenal, you're using a controller....PERIOD...

Y'all need to stop.
Daktyl 11:59 PM - 4 July, 2012
Quote:
Man look, the minute you hooked up a computer and any type of CDJ to your arsenal, you're using a controller....PERIOD...

Y'all need to stop.

...This
Papa Midnight 12:02 AM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:

Y'all need to stop.

Hell, the second any one picked up a control vinyl for Serato, Deckadance, VDJ, Traktor, Torq, etc., they started using a controller. It's really that simple.
DJRemixEnt 12:07 AM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Y'all need to stop.

Hell, the second any one picked up a control vinyl for Serato, Deckadance, VDJ, Traktor, Torq, etc., they started using a controller. It's really that simple.

yeah, and every last gotdamn one of 'em is a wannabe... yeah i said it

hehe
ced_so_thoed 12:11 AM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
ced_so_thoed, I understand you have 26 likes on facebook so this make you an expert but your reply's are redundant and If you dislike controllers so much why are you in the Itch section of the forum.

ay
I love my 26 followers though. Actually, only 25. If you knew anything, you'd also see that I have a personal Facebook page and I made the fan page to move my fans over there, so when I get married my wife's parents won't know that I'm crazy. But yes, I am an expert. And this is the DJing Discussion area not the Itch section so before you do research on me, get your facts straight Jack.
yep
d:raf 2:48 AM - 5 July, 2012
Tracking to add to my "DJ's attempting to implement caste systems on the intarwebs" collection...
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:35 AM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:

Y'all need to stop.

100% truth
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:51 AM - 5 July, 2012
I have the unique perspective of a dj who started after vinyl pre serato, i started on a dual deck pioneere then went TO vinyl cause that was boring. Oddly enough on the forum i bitch at people who are for controllers, but recently in real world ive had to defend my use of seraro....over cdj users of all people. Look heres the brass tax.....IT DOSENT MATTER WHAT MEDIUM U USE ITS HOW U USE IT. If you are finger fucking a ns7 to beatmatch songs through an entire night your WACK, if your using turntables but trainwrecking and slamming all night WACK! If your using an itch controller but pulling some enferno type ish cool shit, if your using techs and scratching like qbert then awesome.

ITS NOT THE TOOLS ITS THE PERFORMER.

that said alot of controllerists tend to be douches who use it as a crutch. I cant tell you how many new djs in my area post on their faceebook about buying a controller and preplanning a sync set a month in advance for a gig
d:raf 4:58 AM - 5 July, 2012
Personally I don't see pre-planning a sync set any differently from pre-planning a vinyl set, but maybe that's just me... I knew lots of djs that pre-planned their vinyl sets months in advance for gigs when they started but the -good- ones either (a) eventually moved past pre-planning altogether or (b) took it to "there's-no-way-to-pull-this-sh*t-off-without-preplanning-it" levels.
Daktyl 5:02 AM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Y'all need to stop.

i can see an argument against that if you only ever use control vinyl and absolute mode, and you're just using the laptop for your library... but who really does that?
...but pretty much.
d:raf 5:05 AM - 5 July, 2012
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:32 AM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Y'all need to stop.

i can see an argument against that if you only ever use control vinyl and absolute mode, and you're just using the laptop for your library... but who really does that?
...but pretty much.

There's no argument there...

If you're using a LAPTOP AT ALL, you're using a controller...end of story...

You're using 12's or CDJ's or SOMETHING to control the laptop.

Let's not blur the lines here...

2 (or more) Turntables using regular vinyl and a mixer was the defacto STANDARD for years....

Control vinyl in Absolute mode is still a form of controllerism, as you've now got a way to "Control" songs that you MAY NEVER have had on vinyl in the first place...

A BIG part of DJ'ing used to be the ability for a DJ to get their hands on certain songs....

Controllerism and digital DJ'ing have made that a dead art now....but don't forget that used to be what contributed to what made a DJ great...

Their music collection.
d:raf 6:00 AM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
A BIG part of DJ'ing used to be the ability for a DJ to get their hands on certain songs....

Controllerism and digital DJ'ing have made that a dead art now...

With you until this part... in the digital realm there's actually so much music available from so many sources that it's still -very- possible to find/play great songs that the majority of people haven't heard (unless you only play hits). I haven't met anyone who's heard every song ever yet.

Lots of netlabels out there...
Daktyl 6:11 AM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
If you're using a LAPTOP AT ALL, you're using a controller...end of story...

You're using 12's or CDJ's or SOMETHING to control the laptop.

i'm with you on that one. only thing pressed on that record is "beeeeeeeeeepppppp" Just sayin that cv in abs mode is as close to real vinyl as you can get...but you're right, it's still using artificial means to control a digital file.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:52 AM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Controllerism and digital DJ'ing have made that a dead art now...

With you until this part... in the digital realm there's actually so much music available from so many sources that it's still -very- possible to find/play great songs that the majority of people haven't heard (unless you only play hits). I haven't met anyone who's heard every song ever yet.

Lots of netlabels out there...

But once you hear it, you can most time GET IT....

Before, (and not just trying to live in yesteryear but...), a DJ could have a tune that NOBODY else could get under ANY circumstances, which then forced a crowd to come out and hear that particular DJ play, in order to hear that song...

Nowadayz, all you need is Shazzam.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:56 AM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:

Ha, and that's the bugged out part, you don't even need to ASK the DJ the name of a song anymore....

lol, as a matter of fact, I remember when I played a song at the spot I spin at and all of a sudden like 3 cats ran over to the speaker with their phones held up to it...

I was like "WTF are y'all doin...", then it dawned on me, so I said over the mic "Hey, I would have told y'all the name of the song if you asked me....lmao"...

Truth be told, I thought they were RECORDING the song, (as I may sometimes do with my phone), and would play it back to my other DJ cats who would tell me the name...

Apparently that's OLD SCHOOL now.....

***sigh****
Papa Midnight 12:43 PM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Ha, and that's the bugged out part, you don't even need to ASK the DJ the name of a song anymore....

lol, as a matter of fact, I remember when I played a song at the spot I spin at and all of a sudden like 3 cats ran over to the speaker with their phones held up to it...

I was like "WTF are y'all doin...", then it dawned on me, so I said over the mic "Hey, I would have told y'all the name of the song if you asked me....lmao"...

Definitely the truth right here.
d:raf 3:48 PM - 5 July, 2012
Shazam doesn't work very well on anything that's not already on a CD or Itunes. Most of the tunes I get from Beatport/Juno stump it. Hell, there are some Skrillex remixes that stump it; don't even try it on original tunes from Soundcloud.

Also, if the tune you're IDing samples another song heavily it will occassionally think it's actually the sampled song (it thinks Isis's "The Power Of Myself Is Moving" is Slave's "Just A Touch Of Love" for example). I've done a bit of research in trying to test its limits... lol.
ced_so_thoed 3:50 PM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
...but pretty much.

ay
when I do my Old School mixes I use ABS just for the nostalgia and I also use real vinyl. But when I do other mixes such as current mixes, stuff with loops, or battle sets I use REL mode.
yep
revancheX 6:31 PM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
Shazam doesn't work very well on anything that's not already on a CD or Itunes. Most of the tunes I get from Beatport/Juno stump it. Hell, there are some Skrillex remixes that stump it; don't even try it on original tunes from Soundcloud.

Thing is, Shazam will only get better. So don't rest easy that you'll be able to stump it for long.

I have given that up--in fact, I want people to learn about the music I am playing, and I don't give a crap if DJs try to bite my stuff, because (1) I'm nobody, (2) I'm constantly evolving my sound anyway, and (3) educating people about music builds the scene, and we need that where I play.

So, F it, I use a tool called "twitter.dj" that just reads my Serato history database and tweets what I'm playing. Trying to figure out how this can be used to engage people, but pretty sure I'll figure it out.
d:raf 6:48 PM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
I have given that up--in fact, I want people to learn about the music I am playing, and I don't give a crap if DJs try to bite my stuff, because (1) I'm nobody, (2) I'm constantly evolving my sound anyway, and (3) educating people about music builds the scene, and we need that where I play.

Agreed; I always thought that whole subculture that leads to things like ostracizing trainspotters was counterproductive (especially for the artists that DJs play). I remember the old "When you play it, say it!" stickers that used to come on promo vinyl...

I'd actually like- it if Shazam got better but I don't see how it could be expanded to include songs that were made in someone's garage the week before the event (for example)...
revancheX 7:02 PM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
I'd actually like- it if Shazam got better but I don't see how it could be expanded to include songs that were made in someone's garage the week before the event (for example)...

If the reaction to Shazam is that more and more DJs start rolling their own beats, how can that be bad?

Bad for BEATPORT, maybe. :D
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:48 PM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
Shazam doesn't work very well on anything that's not already on a CD or Itunes. Most of the tunes I get from Beatport/Juno stump it.

Man, that's nothing more than a few handshakes on the golf course....

Can you imagine if Shazzam partnered up with Beatport or Soundcloud?

It's only a matter of time....
Papa Midnight 7:57 PM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Shazam doesn't work very well on anything that's not already on a CD or Itunes. Most of the tunes I get from Beatport/Juno stump it.

Not only that, but SoundHound can sometimes pick up stuff Shazam can't. Hell, you can HUM into SoundCloud and it'll find the right song.
d:raf 8:26 PM - 5 July, 2012
Hadn't heard of SoundHound before... </takes notes>

I think a world where I could find out what -any- song was with my phone would be fantastic :).
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:01 AM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not only that, but SoundHound can sometimes pick up stuff Shazam can't. Hell, you can HUM into SoundCloud and it'll find the right song.

See......that's crazy rite thurr...
djsmuve415 2:21 AM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
I want people to learn about the music I am playing, and I don't give a crap if DJs try to bite my stuff, because (1) I'm nobody, (2) I'm constantly evolving my sound anyway, and (3) educating people about music builds the scene.

^This #2... Fuckin' truth..
DJ Reflex 3:38 AM - 6 July, 2012
I was reading a post I found on Virtual DJ's website about how most people don't care about how the music gets played (mixed), as long as the dance floor is rockin'. (This was in response to being a fake DJ using automix.) Kinda some truth here with CDJ's, turntables, or controllers. Keep good tunes pumping and properly mixed and the crowd will enjoy themselves. You'll be the hero DJ no matter what weapon you choose. I've used cassettes, CD decks, and continue to use my 1200's.

s1148.photobucket.com
damehype 4:41 AM - 6 July, 2012
I always thought the "1" was the left deck and the "2" was the right, but to each his own lol
revancheX 6:56 AM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
I always thought the "1" was the left deck and the "2" was the right, but to each his own lol

I think he's making a pun with "on the 1s and 2s" but what the hell do I know. :P
12inchskinz 12:27 PM - 6 July, 2012
The answer is obvious. When was the last time you bought a pre-recorded Compact Disc? (probably 5-7 years for me or I just cant remember). Im assuming CDJ's will soon be called MDJ's (media disc jockey). I think we are seeing the LAST of CD players in the next 2-3 years.

Time code/control vinyl is also on its way out the door as controllers are becoming more and more sophisticated. Once HID has been made more user friendly, then you will probably start to see more turntablist type controllers like the Denon SC-3900 or Numark NS7/V7. Since Technics 1200's are now "vintage" and Stanton ( i assume) is leading in the dwindling "real" turntable sales, they might want to consider a hybrid turntable with a HID/midi interface.
antimatter 1:04 PM - 6 July, 2012
If I had my way none of this cdj, serato shit would have ever happened. Was absolulty content to get my vinyl form breakbeat.co.uk, redeyerecords.co.uk, and remember usarecords.com. Ahh the good old days. Fucking technology.
kryptonitednb 1:55 PM - 6 July, 2012
I still don't understand why people spend $3k plus on 2 CDJ-2000's when you can buy an AMAZING controller like the Kontrol S4 for under $1k.
echa1945mf 2:08 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
I still don't understand why people spend $3k plus on 2 CDJ-2000's when you can buy an AMAZING controller like the Kontrol S4 for under $1k.

coz i have big hands , and those little controllers wont do good on me,plus ill look silly with a small controller , im huge btw
kryptonitednb 2:31 PM - 6 July, 2012
How big are you?

I'm 6'4" 275 and I don't look silly.

Wait, maybe I do??!
DJ JT Stevens 2:44 PM - 6 July, 2012
No misquotes yet? I'm disappointed.
echa1945mf 2:47 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
How big are you?

I'm 6'4" 275 and I don't look silly.

Wait, maybe I do??!

well kinda confusing if we are talking feet coz my country use metric system , but im 1,9 metre almost 2 and pretty chunky LOL
echa1945mf 2:48 PM - 6 July, 2012
ps i do own a novation dicer and denon mc6000 , so im ok with midi controllers,just not as my main weapon of choice
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:28 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
If I had my way none of this cdj, serato shit would have ever happened. Was absolulty content to get my vinyl form breakbeat.co.uk, redeyerecords.co.uk, and remember usarecords.com. Ahh the good old days. Fucking technology.

Even what YOU describe is whack as you're ordering vinyl ONLINE...

How about wishing that regular RECORD STORES STILL EXISTED, and you could go digging....
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:35 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

How about wishing that regular RECORD STORES STILL EXISTED, and you could go digging....

Fuck all that turntable tech. If i had my way it would be live bands and accustic instrumens no recordings
echa1945mf 3:36 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fuck all that turntable tech. If i had my way it would be live bands and accustic instrumens no recordings

fuck all this band shit too if i had my way bezzle would be singing accapella while pounding on a bucket
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:48 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

fuck all this band shit too if i had my way bezzle would be singing accapella while pounding on a bucket

I play a mean fiddle lol
ced_so_thoed 3:53 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ay
fuck all this music shit. If times were good we could just all assemble in a big area and decide who we will fuck and then go and do so with consent and full cooperation of the woman without any outside influence of music, drugs, or alcohol.
yep
echa1945mf 4:03 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ay
fuck all this music shit. If times were good we could just all assemble in a big area and decide who we will fuck and then go and do so with consent and full cooperation of the woman without any outside influence of music, drugs, or alcohol.
yep

fuck assembling in a big area, if i had my way i will just snatch some random girll of the street and make bow ciki wawaw right there right now !

and oooh ay ... yep
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:29 PM - 6 July, 2012
revancheX 4:32 PM - 6 July, 2012
Infinite regress--it's AWESOME.
ced_so_thoed 4:37 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ay
yep

fuck assembling in a big area, if i had my way i will just snatch some random girll of the street and make bow ciki wawaw right there right now !

and oooh ay ... yep

ay
fuck snatching random chicks, if I had my way women would snatch me and tell me about themselves for 10 mins and then give me both sets of lips and then they would share me with their firends and the same thing would happen where she tells me about herself, therefore they will no longer be random and for my pleasure and entertainment they would act out 3 Stooges skits...BUTT ASS FUCKIN NEKKID

and they wouldn't be fat and unattractive
yep
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:01 PM - 6 July, 2012
If i had my way id put gummi bears on nachos and eat them while watching a panda bear ice skate
DJ JT Stevens 5:29 PM - 6 July, 2012
Epic thread is epic.
Daktyl 7:07 PM - 6 July, 2012
this went into left field while i was away....
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:32 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:

If i had my way it woulda been the inzone....and thered be a concession stand there....WITH GUMMI NACHOS......AND STRIPPERS!!!!!
revancheX 7:33 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:

And that's bad because that's where the slow outfielder usually plays....
DJ JT Stevens 7:34 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
If i had my way it woulda been the inzone....and thered be a concession stand there....WITH GUMMI NACHOS......AND STRIPPERS!!!!!

Bezzle, have you tried putting Gummi Bears on nachos? I'm curious as to what the hell that would taste like.

They have to be the Haribo ones though.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:40 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Bezzle, have you tried putting Gummi Bears on nachos? I'm curious as to what the hell that would taste like.

They have to be the Haribo ones though.

If i had it my way itd be fucking delicious
ced_so_thoed 7:48 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
have you tried putting Gummi Bears on nachos? I'm curious as to what the hell that would taste like.

ay
Golden Coral. Keeping America obese and diebetic since 1995.
yep
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:52 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
have you tried putting Gummi Bears on nachos? I'm curious as to what the hell that would taste like.

ay
yep

CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN FTW
DJ JT Stevens 7:53 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ay
yep

CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN FTW

Don't you dare forget about Old Country Buffet. They're been doing their part too.
DJ JT Stevens 7:53 PM - 6 July, 2012
*They're = they've
ced_so_thoed 7:54 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ay
yep

CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN FTW

ay
old people dropping their dentures in the chocolate fountain and they just fish it out. Kids wearing cottan candy as afros. Terrible place to eat because it allows Americans to be American.
yep
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:04 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ay
yep

CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN FTW

ay
old people dropping their dentures in the chocolate fountain and they just fish it out. Kids wearing cottan candy as afros. Terrible place to eat because it allows Americans to be American.
yep

True story, that place is a haven for the unwashed masses. Its just to tempting, i mean ur walking by the chocolate fountian and its like lets see whats on plate thats dippable hmmm sweet and sour chicken half a burger a pork chop ahhhaaa chocolate dipped pizza crust
ced_so_thoed 8:08 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ay
yep

CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN FTW

ay
yep

True story, that place is a haven for the unwashed masses. Its just to tempting, i mean ur walking by the chocolate fountian and its like lets see whats on plate thats dippable hmmm sweet and sour chicken half a burger a pork chop ahhhaaa chocolate dipped pizza crust

ay
Golden Coral is where pimps go to feed their hos.

Golden Coral - Walk in hungry, walk out with herpes of the mouth
yep
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:13 PM - 6 July, 2012
You know your in a classy eating establishment when they have rent a cops guarding the door lol
Papa Midnight 10:22 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

coz i have big hands , and those little controllers wont do good on me,plus ill look silly with a small controller , im huge btw

Numark V7 is larger than a CDJ-2000 last time I did a dimensional comparison.
djsmuve415 10:58 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Back on topic thread post FAIL.
Papa Midnight 11:27 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Back on topic thread post FAIL.

int.na.tl
DJ Reflex 11:32 PM - 6 July, 2012
Controllers? I had my fingers removed and prosthetic attachments made with MIDI outputs right from my knuckles. Now I just plug 'n play!

I've tried the NS7. It felt like a toy to me, but the response was great. I suppose if I used it for any length of time, I'd get used to it. Even my dual CD deck back in the 90's took some time to mess around with. I've always had my turntables and probably always will. I've been tempted to go controller though just for simplicity. I guess some nostalgic DJing on the 1's and 2's is where I'm still at.
antimatter 4:23 AM - 7 July, 2012
Dj jonnym never went to a record store that had a good techno selection. I get your point though. We got two in stl. and even back in the day there wasn't much.
antimatter 5:14 AM - 7 July, 2012
Just sayin I like my new sl3. Its nice to go to beatport, juno what have you. I know its not fair to blame serato or pioneer or traktor for record stores or record websites or waxpressers drying up. But a big part of me misses getting those oversas packages with the flyers and stickers and shit in them.
Im also not scared of technology it just pisses me off that most of the biggest acts out there now adays are nothing but smoke and mirrors and the young party kids are too stupid to realize it. Im tryn to look back when I was that age and stupid but I definitly remeber pulling the plug on spree a bunch of times whenever he came to town.
Jader 4:07 PM - 7 July, 2012
controllers are cool i guess

but the main reason i havent looked seriously into getting one is because of durability

maybe their quality has changed for the better in recent years, but as a company, has numark really been known to make products that last? is there anyone that is still using a numark mixer or turntable from back in the day?

who knows how long those controllers are gonna last? i like to spend my hard earned money on something i know im going to use for years! is a controller something you would imagine using for 5 or more years without something breaking or needing to be replaced? how tough are those faders? can they handle hours of practice without bleeding or breaking? faders, platters, and pitch adjustments should be built super tough! also i think minimalist designs and button layouts are better for longevity, less stuff to break and can concentrate more on whats really important.

maybe if rane introduced a controller built like a tank with the metal body and trusted faders i might make the switch. the only controllers ive seriously looked at is the pioneer one (too big so it defeats the purpose of using a controller in the first place) and the vestax ones (although every vestax mixer if owned eventually bleeded or just plain shorted out).
Papa Midnight 4:14 PM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:
maybe their quality has changed for the better in recent years, but as a company, has numark really been known to make products that last? is there anyone that is still using a numark mixer or turntable from back in the day?

You'd be amazed. The V7 ans NS7 are in a class of their own.

Also, my old Numark TTs still work lol
@WhoDjRu 4:29 PM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't heard or seen anyone having any problem with an NS7, so seems to last thus far and may be as promising as it reputation. Getting mine this week !
revancheX 5:35 PM - 7 July, 2012
My NS6 still rolling strong after more than a year. Have played out with it 30 times or more. The trick is to get a solid Odyssey case for it so it doesn't get wrecked. But you'd do that for a CDJ/mixer anyway.
Logisticalstyles 6:24 PM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:

who knows how long those controllers are gonna last? i like to spend my hard earned money on something i know im going to use for years! is a controller something you would imagine using for 5 or more years without something breaking or needing to be replaced? how tough are those faders? can they handle hours of practice without bleeding or breaking? faders, platters, and pitch adjustments should be built super tough! also i think minimalist designs and button layouts are better for longevity, less stuff to break and can concentrate more on whats really important.

I've gone for hours mixing and hours scratching on my NS7 and the faders have held up nicely. You would really need to spend some time with the peice to understand. I was very skeptical myself until I got one and really got comfortable with it.
Papa Midnight 10:18 PM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:
My NS6 still rolling strong after more than a year. Have played out with it 30 times or more. The trick is to get a solid Odyssey case for it so it doesn't get wrecked. But you'd do that for a CDJ/mixer anyway.

I'd get a case for anything I bought that cost that damn much, which is why I have one for my NS7.
revancheX 11:59 PM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:
I'd get a case for anything I bought that cost that damn much, which is why I have one for my NS7.

Yep. Mind you, the case is beat all to hell, but the NS6 is still mint minus some wear from actual playing and generally free of dents, nicks etc.
AustinG 12:24 PM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I have used my NS7 for about 2.5 years, gig'd with it at least 100 times. It's still as good as the day I bought it minus a little road rash. There have been minor software issues with Itch, nothing major. It's a solid controller.
manjinahh 8:29 AM - 3 September, 2012
LET'S ALL BE FRIENDS. AND LIVE IN PEACE.