DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

NS7 vs Turnables and Rane mixer

@WhoDjRu 4:36 AM - 10 June, 2012
I really have been looking into the Numark NS7 ALOT for the last month or so and I have had a chance to use it 2-3 times. I loved it from the start and I would really like to buy it. But the issue is I also plan on DJing at clubs, so should I get a Rane TTM57SL and turntables or just get the NS7? Will it look unprofessional bringing in my own equipment?
Right now I'm using the Torq Xponent so this would be a major upgrade, but I cant walk in a club with an Xponent.
Thanks for reading !
bicedidit 4:49 AM - 10 June, 2012
have u used 1200's or the alternatives before?

1200's require little maintenance...ie replacing cart's, a tune up every 10 years) and i suspect in 10 years the ns7 will have been recycled.

if ur booked for a gig, 1st impressions by the 4 dj's may be a little suspect with the ns7 but if u rock the party, no one will care.

i dont mean to come off like a dickhead. im kinda lit.
@WhoDjRu 5:20 AM - 10 June, 2012
Also, if I did plan on going big in the DJ world, most clubs use the Rane TTM57SL setup right, so wouldn't I just have to use that?
Logisticalstyles 8:51 PM - 10 June, 2012
The NS7 is just too big and awkward to be carrying into clubs in my opinion. I use mine for mobiles and the club I spin at has turntables provided so I just show up with my laptop and SL1. I know a lot of clubs lately have just a mixer set up and you can plug whatever you use into the mixer. I wouldn't bring my NS7 to a club unless I knew I was the only DJ for the night.
bicedidit 9:11 PM - 10 June, 2012
I do not think the tm57 is a standard In night clubs
Boutique Sound 9:41 PM - 10 June, 2012
ns6 is better and pioneer 800 is the club standard
Robert W 10:19 PM - 10 June, 2012
I could never get used to the small platters, but at least they rotate this time.
str8nger 12:19 AM - 11 June, 2012
Go with turntables and a 57 you will have so much fun , but the ns7 is a cool little controller. But I say if u want to be in it for real do turntables. If u want it as a hobby don't waist your money and get the ns7
@WhoDjRu 12:54 AM - 11 June, 2012
Quote:
Go with turntables and a 57 you will have so much fun , but the ns7 is a cool little controller. But I say if u want to be in it for real do turntables. If u want it as a hobby don't waist your money and get the ns7

Thats a question I still don't know the answer to yet. I'm about to be a senior in high school and going to college next year and cant decide whether or not to keep DJing or not
str8nger 1:16 AM - 11 June, 2012
oh, ok since you are going to college next year get the ns7 dont waist your money on turntables and a ttm57, since you wont have so much free time on your hands. and you wont need to worry about purchasing vinyl control and needles and maintenance on the turntables just sayin.
Robert W 2:58 AM - 11 June, 2012
Quote:
Thats a question I still don't know the answer to yet. I'm about to be a senior in high school and going to college next year and cant decide whether or not to keep DJing or not

Definetly keep at it. Then you can make some extra money by recording your mixes and then sell them to your friends, classmates, and co workers.
I did that a lot when i worked in at Ruby Tuesdays. I made hip hop mixtapes (composed of unreleased songs, blends & remixes, and scratch interludes) and sold them to my co workers for fhy dallah a piece.
Logisticalstyles 3:00 AM - 11 June, 2012
I still do that around the office.
Robert W 3:01 AM - 11 June, 2012
Quote:
...I made hip hop mixtapes (composed of unreleased songs, blends & remixes, and scratch interludes) and sold them to my co workers for fhy dallah a piece.
Quote:

I Also included promos from local hiphop artists as well. 2Live music always gave em to me for free, so i figured might as well put em to good use and help the artists out.
@WhoDjRu 3:15 AM - 11 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Definetly keep at it. Then you can make some extra money by recording your mixes and then sell them to your friends, classmates, and co workers.
I did that a lot when i worked in at Ruby Tuesdays. I made hip hop mixtapes (composed of unreleased songs, blends & remixes, and scratch interludes) and sold them to my co workers for fhy dallah a piece.

Thanks so much for that man, really opened up my eyes. I will continue to strive for the best and see how far I go !
L2daGee 4:52 AM - 11 June, 2012
Get Technics. It will be one of the best decisions you've ever made. I have a 22 year old MK2 that works great and a 13 year old pair of M3Ds that still work like the day I bought them. It would be surprising if you get even 5 years out of the NS7.
Dj Ace 5:28 AM - 11 June, 2012
Real DJs get turntables...or a t least KNOW how to use them!
Robert W 5:49 AM - 11 June, 2012
Quote:
Thanks so much for that man, really opened up my eyes. I will continue to strive for the best and see how far I go !
Quote:

No prob! It gets better too because Once people have your mixes, they're likely to play them at their social gatherings and more people will hear your stuff. Chances are, they may even want your contact info so they can book you for their parties, so definetly include your contact info with your mixes. You'll be in the perfect position to futher your dj career once you're in college.

Just be creative with your mixes. I'd even invest in a DAW (multi track recording software) so you can do more awesome things with your mixes that wouldnt be possible to do live. I use Sony Acid Pro, but there's a free recording software called Audacity that i hear is decent.
str8nger 2:22 PM - 11 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just be creative with your mixes. I'd even invest in a DAW (multi track recording software) so you can do more awesome things with your mixes that wouldnt be possible to do live. I use Sony Acid Pro, but there's a free recording software called Audacity that i hear is decent.

The whole point is recording what you can do live. I would never record a set that I can't perform live people like what they hear in the recording they expect to hear that live!
@WhoDjRu 7:00 PM - 13 June, 2012
Thanks man I will take that advice! I may just get CDJs and a mixer or NS7, still deciding!!
@WhoDjRu 2:40 AM - 26 June, 2012
Any other opinions? Leaning towards the NS7
Dj JesC 2:55 AM - 26 June, 2012
Personally I would go with the 12's & 57 and keep an eye out on CL to see if you can pick up a NS7 for cheap. Plus the 12's & 57 have better resale if you decide it not for you. and the NS7 is cool, but its been around for +3 years, if you can find one 2nd hand get it. BTH i see numark coming out with a NS7 MK2 within the next year or so.
DJ'Que 3:55 PM - 26 June, 2012
Quote:
Personally I would go with the 12's & 57 and keep an eye out on CL to see if you can pick up a NS7 for cheap. Plus the 12's & 57 have better resale if you decide it not for you. and the NS7 is cool, but its been around for +3 years, if you can find one 2nd hand get it. BTH i see numark coming out with a NS7 MK2 within the next year or so.
this dont waste money on a ns7 1 tech cost more and the resale is better. And if you get it fully modded it really resale's higher. I started in high school djing and went to college.

Next thing u know I was doing all the college partys and touring.
Logisticalstyles 3:58 PM - 26 June, 2012
Quote:
And if you get it fully modded it really resale's higher./quote]

I've always wondered about this. I thought collector's preffered to have them in original condition.
WarpNote 7:44 AM - 29 June, 2012
I prefer 1200/1210 and the Rane 68 myself, even though I also use CDJs and Pioneer mixers alot.
If you wanna stay on a budget, you could get a pair of used decks and mixer & a Rane SL box.
For a CDJ I would aim for CDJ800mk2 or above, and pioneer makes cheaper 2 channel mixers that will accustom you to their club standard mixers like the djm800/900. Have a look at the djm 400...

Getting a SL box will make you more flexible for venues that have basic setups already installed.
And keep practicing beatmatching without using sync, from watching your videos, you still need training IMO.

When getting turntables / CDJs instead of a controller, you can practice with real vinyl or regular CDs, without a computer. Nothing can beat that kind of experience.
AustinG 1:00 PM - 29 June, 2012
Whoever said NS6 is better than the NS7 obviously doesn't spin Hip Hop.

RU, I own a set of 1210 mk5, ttm57sl AND an NS7. Hopefully my advice will help you with your decision...

I moved up from cheap numark cd/usb players to the NS7 because 1. I found a great deal on it on craigslist and 2. I wanted to learn to scratch.

After owning the NS7 for less than 4 or 5 months, I bought 1200's and a 57. I wont' get into the details of this but basically the industry and battles lead me in that direction.... I have to say that the 1200's and 57 were the best purchase I have ever made in my life.

I practice on 1200's but I probably spin better on the NS7 because I can do certain things faster.

For gigs, they both get heavy usage. Neither is very mobile but i don't care about lifting equipment. If I'm in a club that has only pioneer cdj's it's nothing because I'm familiar with serato already.

If I could do it all over I would've started with 1200's from the very beginning. You will also need to be familiar with the djm-800. If you learn to use 1200's and a mixer there isn't a setup in the world, in any club, that you won't be able to walk in and play.
DJ IRONMAN 2:08 PM - 29 June, 2012
Get Stanton 150s excellent tables no offense to 1200s they are the industry standard but aren't made anymore!! I hate having to search for parts!!
bicedidit 3:06 PM - 29 June, 2012
Quote:
Get Stanton 150s excellent tables no offense to 1200s they are the industry standard but aren't made anymore!! I hate having to search for parts!!

amazon has all the parts u would need for the 1200's
str8nger 3:23 PM - 29 June, 2012
Quote:

What kind of parts? They are everywhere u make it sound like 1200s brake a lot and always have to find parts lol
WarpNote 4:26 PM - 29 June, 2012
Actually, I was told its easier to find parts for the technics than stanton tables...
DTweed 4:40 PM - 29 June, 2012
Are you going away to school? If so get the NS7 as it is smaller and can fit in your dorm. I assume you will probably end up doing more school parties than clubs at which point you can bring your NS7. Also its more affordable since you're still young and undecided.

If you work hard you can transition easily from NS7s to turntables when the time comes. The feel is different but the technical skills are the same. Also if you get a 57 then you will have to bring that to the club vs. a serato box which is still a pain regardless
bicedidit 5:05 PM - 29 June, 2012
^^^ good advice altho i would never tell anyone to get anything other than 12's.
DTweed 5:24 PM - 29 June, 2012
Lol Bice I agree with you...1200s are like crack but he has to start somewhere
WarpNote 5:29 PM - 29 June, 2012
If you wanna run SSL a pair of used denon 3700's and 57 would also be an option,
or go all out with the 3900's and a 62....
DJ Unique 5:40 PM - 29 June, 2012
Quote:
If you wanna run SSL a pair of used denon 3700's and 57 would also be an option,

Yes
DTweed 7:18 PM - 29 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Yes

The 3700s are good, I cant vouch for them. Funny how we all have our preferences. One thing I would say is that the Xponent is trash you should hurry up and move on from that.
DJ'Que 4:22 PM - 2 July, 2012
I'm go say if money is a issue get ns7.

cos last night a dj had to learn how to use technics 1200 and my 62 mixer.

1st time ever touching a 62 and 12's. I was waiting for a train-wreak but he did really good.

his only issue was 2 times he let the needle go all the way to the end and the music stopped.

the I set it up to switch to int mode and he was good to go.

he was use to spinning platters so he didnt have the drag other dj's had.

on another note im going to buy this 1210mk5g from a college student that need money to pay some bills. this is where the ns7 looses against the tech in resale value.