DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

1200 MK2, throw some buttons on it MOD

AKIEM 6:14 AM - 6 February, 2008
I got so hyped about a REAL CONTROLLER that I went ahead and started trying to transform my 1200 into a digital solution. (made the mistake of starting at 3AM)

photo
i79.photobucket.com
i79.photobucket.com

video
video.google.com

preemptive:
yes, I know that I 'ruined' the deck
-Ive got three sets of 1200s

no, I dont think you should mount buttons on a 1200 and expect good tracking
-this was for the fun of it and illustration

no, I dont think this mod is a real solution
-A real solution would be standard, Im not carrying my decks, Ive got a 57 to carry
dj shadow from detroit 6:59 AM - 6 February, 2008
what the fuck!
DJ Kim Jong Il 9:00 AM - 6 February, 2008
dude, youre fuckin crazy. no disrespect
RecordandStks 9:16 AM - 6 February, 2008
U might have something there, pattened
DeezNotes 11:23 AM - 6 February, 2008
Quote:
what the fuck!

Exactly
nik39 12:48 PM - 6 February, 2008
Quote:
dude, youre fuckin crazy. no disrespect

+1
sixxx 3:18 PM - 6 February, 2008
I actually think it's cool.... but with the 57 this becomes useless pretty much. I think the idea could be implemented/improved upon. Good job even at 3AM+

:)
djaction 3:51 PM - 6 February, 2008
move the buttons to the other side of the deck and you could do some insane one-handed scratches and cuts.
FlexyD 3:55 PM - 6 February, 2008
craziness, cool stuff though, AKIEM you always come up with these cool ideas.
Billy18bm 6:27 PM - 6 February, 2008
how does midi work
ive been wanting to make a controller to mount in my mixer that has an up and down knob w/ 2 buttons so i can browse/select my songs...
Billy18bm 8:24 PM - 6 February, 2008
yea im talkin about makin a midi device lol..i know how to configure one......
Billy18bm 8:27 PM - 6 February, 2008
AKIEM how do u make those buttons work how u got then wired????? that shits tight
young shiz 8:39 PM - 6 February, 2008
Yeah my biggest questions are on how to do the wiring and where to get the materials from. This looks like a good spring break project for me!
AKIEM 8:50 PM - 6 February, 2008
Quote:
I actually think it's cool.... but with the 57 this becomes useless pretty much. I think the idea could be implemented/improved upon. Good job even at 3AM+

3AM, and 2 nights without sleep, and another day...

one thing I dont like about the way the 57 works is having to pay attention to what deck is active. in fact I set 1-3 for left, 4-6 for right, only three cues...

but it feels good having the buttons close to the plater.

I had a joystick on there, just below the pitch fader, but I had trouble mounting it, but Ill get to it...

originally I wanted to mount them just above the logo, which I could have, but it would have meant too much cutting...

anyway the real reason I did it so to begin the transformation of the 1200 to digital by whatever means available. I dont really think analog turntables should come with midi (but we need a REAL CONTROLLER)
Billy18bm 8:55 PM - 6 February, 2008
can u post a schematic and what not????
AKIEM 9:07 PM - 6 February, 2008
Quote:
can u post a schematic and what not????

well, I forgot to document everything like a proper mod,

when I get to the second deck, I will take all the flicks document everything.

I guess part of the reason I didnt document it, I kept going back changing things, having to rework it and whatnot. but when I do the next deck it will be a straight shot

Ill tell you one thing, the hardest part is getting the holes right. without a drill press it took a LOT of concentration, patience, planning, and maybe some luck. I used a hand drill and had to get each one right on the first try. Whatever the metal is is conductive, not aluminum, so you gotta be real careful with the chips and dust.
AKIEM 9:38 PM - 6 February, 2008
Quote:
I don't know if this has already been mentioned (I've got some serious catching up to do it seems), but wouldn't one of the problems with having a digital standard that size be that many, MANY clubs wouldn't be able to keep both those and traditional vinyl-capable tables in the booth at the same time?

I can see the picket lines (and subsequent rioting) now...

analog vinyls is not going to last for ever, 1200s on spaceships? its got to go sometime.

I actually prefer some of the qualities of vinyl over digital, but no one really cares

why did the CDJ become a standard? because it plays CDs, not because it has a static plater. If a static plater were never introduced no one would be calling for it. Maybe CDJ DJs will come back to the moving plater. If they still want CDs instead of a computer, the Controller could control a rack, or the Controller could have bay on it or something.

there are clubs with 1200s where analog vinyls havnt been spun for months, DVS only

what Im getting at is a REAL CONTROLLER could take the place of 1200 in more cases then not, and take the place of CDJ in more cases then not. Keep the 1200s, or keep the CDJs, or get rid of both!

SSL is the perfect transition to digital (if we get a controller), and CDJ is just an anomaly
young shiz 10:22 PM - 6 February, 2008
What about a 5 way controller where the 45 adapter is? Is there another place where those buttons could go Akiem?
SiRocket 10:26 PM - 6 February, 2008
dots are alive akiem!!!! :) great job without a drill press, always supported you but we are all in the beginning stages and are ohhhh so touchy (no homo)
Billy18bm 9:23 PM - 11 February, 2008
U got thAT SCHEMATIC i dont understand midi i wanna do something like this...
young shiz 10:06 PM - 15 February, 2008
Any update???
FunkyRob 10:58 PM - 15 February, 2008
I'd much rather make holes in one of those decorative covers and somehow use like touch sensitive type buttons instead of clicking buttons instead of defacing one of my precious technics.

(if I was smart enough to figure out)

I think you're kinda onto something.
Niro 11:28 PM - 15 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

3AM, and 2 nights without sleep, and another day...

one thing I dont like about the way the 57 works is having to pay attention to what deck is active. in fact I set 1-3 for left, 4-6 for right, only three cues...

but it feels good having the buttons close to the plater.

I had a joystick on there, just below the pitch fader, but I had trouble mounting it, but Ill get to it...

originally I wanted to mount them just above the logo, which I could have, but it would have meant too much cutting...

anyway the real reason I did it so to begin the transformation of the 1200 to digital by whatever means available. I dont really think analog turntables should come with midi (but we need a REAL CONTROLLER)

Waddup Akiem, dope as always.

The way I have my 57 set up is (1-2-loop) left side and 1-2-loop) right side and joystick Left ^bpm effts < Cue 3, >Cue 4, v Instant double. and I have my effects to the aux.

I have it set up (1-2-loop) that way, so when I'm mixing fast or in a dark place. I don't accidently cue the loop for the next deck. I'm not sure if this helps, but covers a majority of my needs.

Niros
Billy18bm 5:27 AM - 20 February, 2008
any type of schematic for this yet????
AKIEM 5:44 AM - 20 February, 2008
sorry no skematiks, I did it out the head...

hit me on the pm if you really want it
shiestO! 6:56 AM - 23 February, 2008
finally watched this video/peeped the pictures.

thanks for using oakland blackouts. shit looks crazy man for real. crazy possibilities.
AKIEM 10:51 AM - 23 February, 2008
word thanks
Dj_Devo 12:09 AM - 25 February, 2008
here is a button that i bet would go down well with some ;)

homepage.eircom.net
ILL-REPUTE 12:40 AM - 25 February, 2008
Quote:

homepage.eircom.net

lol
ILL-REPUTE 12:41 AM - 25 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

homepage.eircom.net

lol

hold up ant that whats going on with Itch??
allenbina 1:44 AM - 14 May, 2009
where did you get the physical buttons. they're nice looking.
grrillatactics 5:01 PM - 14 May, 2009
AKIEM, impressive creativity, as always.
LiamDNicoll 6:09 PM - 17 March, 2010
This is awesome. I would love to see a revision made of this. Slightly larger buttons would be cool :-).

Brilliant work though
AKIEM 10:17 PM - 14 January, 2012
Sureshot (PA) 8:35 PM - 15 January, 2012
boooo! innovate! don't just copy. super lame...
WarpNote 9:23 AM - 16 January, 2012
As they already have the V7 and NS7, Id expect them to come out with something like this.
However, I'd expect Vestax beat them to it, considering their QFO/Controller One history.