Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

External Drives: Attn Serato Staff

DJ Lil Vito 5:36 PM - 18 December, 2007
Hey guys - I'm loving the video plugin so far!

I just ordered my MacBook Pro - any recommendations or words of caution on external drives? I'll just be using it to store videos.

I'm looking at this:
store.apple.com

or maybe:
store.apple.com

Has Video Scratch been tested with external drives? Any hiccups at all? Do you recommend Firewire or USB for MacBook Pro's?

Sorry for the thousand questions, I just want to make sure I'm showcasing myself and Serato's products RIGHT!
VJ Justin Allen 5:45 PM - 18 December, 2007
Why not use a Firewire 800 drive? That's the fastest thruput and if you get a Lacie or other similar media drive it will be able to handle the multiple streams.

I would stay away from the USB drives, unless you get a separate USB card. Too many conflicts there.
DJ AVENUE 7:52 PM - 18 December, 2007
Go firewire i am about too very soon for video..
dj-jv 8:22 PM - 18 December, 2007
firewire & glyph hardrive. perfect combination.
Serato
JonathanC 8:48 PM - 18 December, 2007
This was answered in our FAQs.
DJ Lil Vito 9:07 PM - 18 December, 2007
Thanks Jonathan, I missed those!
djdragon 6:40 AM - 19 December, 2007
Try not to use an external drive at all if possible.
Dj_KaGeN 5:31 PM - 19 December, 2007
Quote:
Try not to use an external drive at all if possible.

you may be able to get away with that if you have planned sets and are a single genre dj.... otherwise, that's gonna be a pipe dream or low quality videos.
DJ Lil Vito 5:39 PM - 19 December, 2007
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna need a terrabyte drive for mobiles - I'm gonna do half hour sets in the club. I have PromoOnly DVD's back when it was known as the ETV series... that dates back to January of 1999. Plus all of the "Best Of" collections.

I'm gonna order a 800 Firewire Glyph or G-Tech drive... just can't decide which yet.
Demon 5:26 AM - 21 December, 2007
Quote:
I have PromoOnly DVD's back when it was known as the ETV series... that dates back to January of 1999. Plus all of the "Best Of" collections.

Damn you! I'm jealous.
DJ Lil Vito 7:23 AM - 21 December, 2007
They're pretty cheap considering the $ you can make from video.
Demon 4:33 AM - 27 December, 2007
True indeed, whats it like $300 a year for each category.
djtripp 8:29 PM - 27 December, 2007
Why not just a 1TB E Sata HDD from Costco for 279.99 and an express card? Seems like the most efficient way to make sure you've got quality external HHD storage and transfer.
Demon 5:15 PM - 28 December, 2007
Wow I didn't know costco carried HD's. Imma go look today.
Demon 5:50 AM - 30 December, 2007
I'm a little confused. I just got a Macbook Pro. Do I have the option to do the e sata deal? Is that the little flappy thing on the left side? Sorry, new to this video thing.